Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-13, 11:44 AM   #1
Podagrower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Podagrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Gary Fisher Wahoo (hers), Jamis Coda Sport, Niner RLT9
Posts: 396
Strava question

So, the good news is I'm ranked tenth in the segment I rode yesterday, the bad news is only 10 people have run that segment. The question is, why does Strava decide you are riding a segment, and not just riding? I didn't pause at the 2 breaks we took, and we looped part of the segment twice, so the ride time is correct, but the speed and distance are wrong.
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 11:52 AM   #2
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Strava has no clue if you are going all out or just out smelling the roses.
If you want to make a half-arsed comparison look at your heart rate or power vs the others but that's even a crap shoot as you don't know if the others HR or power output is them giving it all.

IMHO - Strava is best for you to compare yourself over segments... Make one that you can do as an interval (all out) and then compare yourself over time. You can even make the segment private so, like me, you don't fall to the bottom of the list continually.
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 12:05 PM   #3
jimc101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Bikes:
Posts: 4,719
It's the users who set up the segment, not Strava, if you ride where a segment has been setup, you see yourself on the leader board for that segment.

For the speed / distance, what are you basing this on? Strava will only show the fastest time you have ever done on the ranking, it will show your actual time with in the ride you have done, if you have done a loop, then this will be visible in your ride as well, as seperate events.

Where you may be seeing a mismatch in the figures, is that Strava is only counting both passing of the loop as one single event, I have seen this on time trials, which have had a segment setup for a course, then the course is used for a longer event, where more loops are added, Strava doesn't take this (the additional loops) into account, so gives a lower average speed than you actually did.
jimc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 12:55 PM   #4
Podagrower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Podagrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Gary Fisher Wahoo (hers), Jamis Coda Sport, Niner RLT9
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
It's the users who set up the segment, not Strava, if you ride where a segment has been setup, you see yourself on the leader board for that segment.

For the speed / distance, what are you basing this on? Strava will only show the fastest time you have ever done on the ranking, it will show your actual time with in the ride you have done, if you have done a loop, then this will be visible in your ride as well, as seperate events.

Where you may be seeing a mismatch in the figures, is that Strava is only counting both passing of the loop as one single event, I have seen this on time trials, which have had a segment setup for a course, then the course is used for a longer event, where more loops are added, Strava doesn't take this (the additional loops) into account, so gives a lower average speed than you actually did.
IT looks like Strava used the time I was on the segment, as the segment time is a little shorter than the actual ride time, but used the segment mileage and included 2 breaks, so the bike computer shows a ride of 15 miles, time of 1:30, avg speed 12 for the ride, Strava decide it was 1:24, 11.4 miles, avg speed 9 for the segment.
I just wasn't sure about the added loops, but I got it now. The top speed on the segment is 24.4, so I'm not gonna get there any time soon.
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 01:26 PM   #5
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 10,939
Strava doesn't care about your speed - it takes the start time and end time... so if you take a long break, your time is hosed. I had a funny one yesterday - i had a flat in the middle of a segment and still set a PR! I guess the other times I did that segment I took longer breaks, so that's funny.

The funniest part of all is that despite my PR (ha ha) I'm DFL in that segment - 539 out of 539

http://app.strava.com/activities/46529392#805350217

But yeah, go with what IBOHUNT says... it's great for comparing to your own self.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 01:29 PM   #6
nkfrench 
Senior Member
 
nkfrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
Posts: 1,831
I've noticed little differences in mph on any given ride through a segment depending on which Strava webpage is showing it. It could be that one is a summary using just the "official" segment start and end points, whereas another view is more detailed taking into account your actual GPS tracking. Likely you aren't tracking the exact same "line" on the segment as everyone else. Lane position, passing other riders.

It sure would be a lot easier to do a long segment faster if you stopped to rest every few minutes. That wouldn't be fair to make breaks magically disappear when calculating segment speeds.

Stops skew results. There are a few segments on charity ride routes that go through intersections. During the charity event, the intersections will be controlled by law enforcement so riders don't have to stop and wait 2 minutes or more on a red light. The other 364 days of the year, it's the luck of the draw whether you get a green light or not.

One of the areas I ride frequently has several segments but Strava isn't catching them. Construction is in progress so the bike trail is diverted 5 feet over onto a temporary hardpack surface.

Another area I headed off-route to a restaurant and skipped a portion in the middle of a segment ; it still gave me an embarrassingly slow time. But I didn't want to discard the entire ride.

Not very many women use Strava in some areas I ride. It would be more fun if I wasn't 1st out of 1 cyclist.

Why hurt yourself on a southbound segment when winds from the south are unusually strong? Find a northbound segment instead and blast it. Or if winds are typically from the southwest but today's winds are from the northeast, that's the time to rock on that predominantly SW route.

It's a fun app and somewhat useful for tracking your own individual progress. Don't read too much more into it.
nkfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 01:48 PM   #7
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Strava is designed for competition. If you joined, well then.....
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 05:45 PM   #8
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Strava doesn't care about your speed - it takes the start time and end time... so if you take a long break, your time is hosed. I had a funny one yesterday - i had a flat in the middle of a segment and still set a PR! I guess the other times I did that segment I took longer breaks, so that's funny.

The funniest part of all is that despite my PR (ha ha) I'm DFL in that segment - 539 out of 539

http://app.strava.com/activities/46529392#805350217

But yeah, go with what IBOHUNT says... it's great for comparing to your own self.
539! You need to move away from there.
There ain't that many folks in the town I live outside of. Sheeeesh!
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 07:42 PM   #9
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 10,939
Meh, that's nothing... on the semi-famous "gate to the shack" segment on GMR (the first 9 miles of the climb to the village...about 2k+ of uninterrupted climbing) I'm 2074th / 2569 and that's actually putting some effort into it too. Oy.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 06:27 AM   #10
AerobaticDreams
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oviedo, Florida
Bikes: 2009 Bianchi Roadie,1977 Columbia Roadie, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek 830, Centurion LeMans, Rans V-Rex
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podagrower View Post
IT looks like Strava used the time I was on the segment, as the segment time is a little shorter than the actual ride time, but used the segment mileage and included 2 breaks, so the bike computer shows a ride of 15 miles, time of 1:30, avg speed 12 for the ride, Strava decide it was 1:24, 11.4 miles, avg speed 9 for the segment.
I just wasn't sure about the added loops, but I got it now. The top speed on the segment is 24.4, so I'm not gonna get there any time soon.
I stopped comparing my Strava results to my Bike Computer results. Its sort of like the idea of having two watches...how do you know what the actual time is? Even the two computers on my wife and my bikes never agree...when we've riden side by side for the whole trip. I use the computer to have an idea what I am doing while I ride, the Strava to see a better idea overall once its done.Oh...and to show off to non-cyclists the routes I take so I can try and get them to start riding and have fun...
AerobaticDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 PM.