Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    NEWBIE
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tilley, Alberta Canada
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie, Trek Road (project 1)
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New bike ordered

    Thanks everyone for all the inspiration shown on this forum. I stated out at 265 lbs and have worked my way down to 209 lbs. I did this thru eating healthier and bike riding last fall and exercise bike in the winter. I just ordered myself a new Trek 6.2 Domane project 1 with electric shift. Should be here in 2-3 weeks. Looking forward to getting out on the road with it. I plan on commuting (34 kms) to work 2-3 times a week. I will try to post some pictures once it arrives.
    Thanks again
    Jim

  2. #2
    Bicycle Commuter Bluish Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you, Jim! I wish you every success with commuting and hope you find it as satisfying as I do. Post a pics and thoughts on the bike too.

  3. #3
    Cactus Hobbit GeoBigJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonora, Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Posts
    1,659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh nice, pics when you get it in.

  4. #4
    That guy from the Chi Chitown_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc
    Posts
    986
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just at my LBS on Monday and the owner and I got to talking, I am thinking about something nicer for next year and he suggested the Domane 1 or 2 series. Since we don't have a lot of hills around here he mentioned they are suited well for flat riding.

    I would love to see pics and congrats on the weight loss!
    Looking forward to my winter commuting adventure.....

  5. #5
    Senior Member mprelaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the new ride. You've earned it.

    Did you go with DA or Ultegra for the electronics? Or just shoot the works for Campy?

    I was drooling over a 6.2 P-1 Madone, but in the end, the budget wouldn't allow it, so I went with the 5.2. Still a pretty nice consolation prize.

  6. #6
    NEWBIE
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tilley, Alberta Canada
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie, Trek Road (project 1)
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the ultegra Di2. I went over what I wanted to spend but so many times I've cheeped out and only regretted it. Ended up costing me more in the long run, so I decided to get everything I wanted on this bike.
    I'm really looking forward to warmer weather so I can start commuting. The wife and I got out yesterday, as it was a real nice afternoon, for a 10 mile ride on our comfort bikes. 1st ride of the year. Felt great.
    jim

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!!
    Best thing about cycling is when I'm at work I'm thinking of cycling, when I'm cycling I'm thinking about cycling.

  8. #8
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,865
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I love new bikes. Post your impressions on that seat junction when you get a few miles in the saddle. I saw some under-seat videos last year that looked ... interesting. Oh yeah, and pictures.

    Since you're in Alberta and can't ride 7 months out of the year, I'd like to offer you complementary warm-weather storage in my bike shed this fall. We have treks, cannondales, fujis and specializeds in there and your domane will feel right at home. I'll return it to you fit and tan at the end of your winter season.
    Last edited by TrojanHorse; 04-04-13 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling... it's what's for dinner

  9. #9
    Coffin Dodger Pirkaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Hampshire
    My Bikes
    Dimondback Apex, Motobecane Vent Noir, Shogun Selectra, Santana Rio
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice reward you got for all the hard work losing weight, congratulations and enjoy the speedster
    Pirk
    Triples are for the weak and the old.........I guess that make's me both
    If you wait until you're ready, you will wait forever.

  10. #10
    Senior Member snidely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the weight loss and the new bike! Pics to drool over would be nice, when it comes in.

  11. #11
    NEWBIE
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tilley, Alberta Canada
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie, Trek Road (project 1)
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    Ah, I love new bikes. Post your impressions on that seat junction when you get a few miles in the saddle. I saw some under-seat videos last year that looked ... interesting. Oh yeah, and pictures.

    Since you're in Alberta and can't ride 7 months out of the year, I'd like to offer you complementary warm-weather storage in my bike shed this fall. We have treks, cannondales, fujis and specializeds in there and your domane will feel right at home. I'll return it to you fit and tan at the end of your winter season.
    Thanks for the offer. I may have to take you up on it and I may bring my cot so I can crash in the shed with all the bikes. LoLol thanks for the compliments on the weight loss. I still have a ways to go as I would like to get under 200 lbs. I do feel much better now look forward to my exercising each day. Been very costly though buying new clothes that fit properly. I was ok with just punching new holes in the belt but my wife didn't like me wearing baggy clothes.
    Jim
    Last edited by boatbuilder; 04-04-13 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boatbuilder View Post
    Thanks for the offer. I may have to take you up on it and I may bring my cot so I can crash in the shed with all the bikes. LoLol thanks for the compliments on the weight loss. I still have a ways to go as I would like to get under 200 lbs. I do feel much better now look forward to my exercising each day. Been very costly though buying new clothes that fit properly. I was ok with just punching new holes in the belt but my wife didn't like me wearing baggy clothes.
    Jim
    That's one of them there "good dilemmas..."
    "I had this baby hand made in Tuscany, from titanium blessed by the pope. It weighs less than a fart, and costs more than a divorce..."

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kearneysville, WV
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)
    Posts
    739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the weight loss and the new scoot!
    - Dan \m/

  14. #14
    Super Moderator tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,456
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boatbuilder View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the inspiration shown on this forum. I stated out at 265 lbs and have worked my way down to 209 lbs. I did this thru eating healthier and bike riding last fall and exercise bike in the winter. I just ordered myself a new Trek 6.2 Domane project 1 with electric shift. Should be here in 2-3 weeks. Looking forward to getting out on the road with it. I plan on commuting (34 kms) to work 2-3 times a week. I will try to post some pictures once it arrives.
    Thanks again
    Jim
    Congratulations on the weight loss and new bike boatbuilder! We need to see before and after pictures nudge nudge
    Community Guidelines
    ****************************************

  15. #15
    NEWBIE
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tilley, Alberta Canada
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie, Trek Road (project 1)
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me before.jpgme now.jpg
    Here I am last year in Vegas at my son's stag party at a shooting range.
    Next picture is of me on Tuesday out for our first bike ride of the year on our comfort bikes we purchased last fall
    Last edited by boatbuilder; 04-05-13 at 12:05 PM. Reason: double picture

  16. #16
    Senior Member IBOHUNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
    Posts
    2,292
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boatbuilder View Post
    me before.jpgme now.jpg
    Here I am last year in Vegas at my son's stag party at a shooting range.
    Next picture is of me on Tuesday out for our first bike ride of the year on our comfort bikes we purchased last fall
    Congrats on the weight loss and the new bike. You should really take TrojanHorse up on his offer.
    Do you live where the more recent picture was taken? That looks flat as Florida!
    When taking pictures of the bike follow the rules or some may chastise...

    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

    #26

    It's also understood that the bike must be up against a white garage door.

  17. #17
    Senior Member longbeachgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Long Beach California
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Posts
    3,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boatbuilder View Post
    me before.jpgme now.jpg
    Here I am last year in Vegas at my son's stag party at a shooting range.
    Next picture is of me on Tuesday out for our first bike ride of the year on our comfort bikes we purchased last fall
    Lookin' good Dude. Enjoy your new bike.

  18. #18
    NEWBIE
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tilley, Alberta Canada
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie, Trek Road (project 1)
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I live 6 kms from where the recent pic was taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by IBOHUNT View Post
    Congrats on the weight loss and the new bike. You should really take TrojanHorse up on his offer.
    Do you live where the more recent picture was taken? That looks flat as Florida!
    When taking pictures of the bike follow the rules or some may chastise...


    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

    #26

    It's also understood that the bike must be up against a white garage door.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,456
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boatbuilder View Post
    me before.jpgme now.jpg
    Here I am last year in Vegas at my son's stag party at a shooting range.
    Next picture is of me on Tuesday out for our first bike ride of the year on our comfort bikes we purchased last fall
    Wow, it's like two different people!
    Community Guidelines
    ****************************************

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •