Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member OneLessFixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Great Pacific NW
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ordered my new bike from BikesDirect

    This bad boy: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fantom_cxx.htm

    Great experience so far, shipped when it was supposed to, got the tracking information immediately, was able to track it every step of the way and it's currently at the UPS Store waiting for me to go pick it up this Friday. I'm taking it to The Bikery to assemble it because I will have access to the proper tools and some good folks to help out in the unlikely event that I get stuck. At the recommendation of my fitter, I also picked up Specialized pedal extenders, an FSA Wing 42cm short reach bar and an FSA OS-190 80mm stem. I also got some Vittoria Randonneur Pro RFX tires (700x32c) and Velo Orange 45mm hammered alloy fenders.

    I will post photos of the unboxing and assembly, and of the finished product, of course.

    As always, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure."

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kearneysville, WV
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)
    Posts
    739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLessFixie View Post
    This bad boy: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fantom_cxx.htm

    Great experience so far, shipped when it was supposed to, got the tracking information immediately, was able to track it every step of the way and it's currently at the UPS Store waiting for me to go pick it up this Friday. I'm taking it to The Bikery to assemble it because I will have access to the proper tools and some good folks to help out in the unlikely event that I get stuck. At the recommendation of my fitter, I also picked up Specialized pedal extenders, an FSA Wing 42cm short reach bar and an FSA OS-190 80mm stem. I also got some Vittoria Randonneur Pro RFX tires (700x32c) and Velo Orange 45mm hammered alloy fenders.

    I will post photos of the unboxing and assembly, and of the finished product, of course.

    As always, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Congrats on the new bike! Best of luck with it!
    - Dan \m/

  3. #3
    Senior Member gyozadude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder
    Posts
    1,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a pretty nice looking bike. Steel is real! What colour? Did you get the chrome one?
    Yes, I can roll my own potsticker skins!

  4. #4
    Senior Member OneLessFixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Great Pacific NW
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gyozadude View Post
    That's a pretty nice looking bike.
    Thanks. And much better equipped than anything from any of the grossly overpriced Seattle LBSs. Full Apex = $2,000++.

    Steel is real!
    Damn right!

    What colour? Did you get the chrome one?
    I got the white one. I thought the chrome was too gaudy (and not available in my size) and the yellow looks too much like a department store bike.
    Last edited by OneLessFixie; 04-10-13 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Fixed BBcode
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure."

  5. #5
    Senior Member gyozadude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder
    Posts
    1,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're making me think about what to buy after tax day. And the only things stopping me are the wife and 10 bikes already in my side of the garage.
    Yes, I can roll my own potsticker skins!

  6. #6
    Senior Member OneLessFixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Great Pacific NW
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gyozadude View Post
    10 bikes already in my side of the garage.
    Hoarder.

    (grin/duck)
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure."

  7. #7
    ___________
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweeet. I kinda wish I had gone this route, as much as I love my bike. I got a build-up in my neighborhood, and even without the brifters I came in around $1800. Mine is Apex on a Double Cross frame with SRAM's new flat-bar road shifters, and I love the feel of it. Admittedly my last bike was a beater... Good luck!

  8. #8
    [IMG]http://i4.photobucke jeepseahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inland Empire, CA
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a keeper, will be great for all kinds of riding. Great gearing for touring, cyclocross, you name it, will take you everywhere.

  9. #9
    Senior Member OneLessFixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Great Pacific NW
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepseahawk View Post
    That looks like a keeper, will be great for all kinds of riding. Great gearing for touring, cyclocross, you name it, will take you everywhere.
    My pampered ass will definitely require low gears!

    On a slightly more serious note, I intend to put VO fenders and a rack on it. I'll post pics.

    As I get into better shape, I want to get back into centuries and randonneuring.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure."

  10. #10
    That guy from the Chi Chitown_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc
    Posts
    990
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLessFixie View Post
    I got the white one. I thought the chrome was too gaudy (and not available in my size) and the yellow looks too much like a department store bike.
    In a city like Chicago, that's a good thing! Sticky hands stay away.


    Bike looks great! I have been looking to get something brand new next season, and I have been looking at the Trek Ion or Crossrip as a potential candidate. Or possible the Trek 1 Series or maybe a Domane. I have a weight-loss goal first before I would allow myself the privilege of getting something new. Excited for the pics to come!
    Looking forward to my winter commuting adventure.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •