Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Wheel Question

  1. #1
    Senior Member xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    My Bikes
    2013 TREK 7.6 FX
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wheel Question

    I just purchased a 2013 Trek FX 7.6, and am worried about my weight on the wheels. I just sold my other Hybrid that had a 16 front 20 rear spoke count. But they were WH R600 & never had a problem, but also am not rough on them. My weight is 230 pounds, and here is link to the 24 spoke count wheels that come stock on the bike. Link : http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ness/fx/7_6_fx just wondering if any of you guys have any knowledge on these. Also the bike comes with w/IsoZone monostay dampers on the rear. They seem very flexible, even maybe to much. The bike was several months old, and bought it from an LBS that had it on consignment. So No warranty, or any real help from them, they said the wheels would be fine, but seem weak to me. Thanks
    2013 TREK 7.6 FX

  2. #2
    Senior Member gyozadude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder
    Posts
    1,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The specs don't tell us what the gauge of the spokes is. They do say "top quality" stainless. If they are 14 gauge, then 24 spokes is starting to get a bit on the light side for the rear. At your weight not a problem on the front, even with radial laced spokes. But the rear might be an issue. But if 12 gauge, or if the attachment at the hub is not a hooked end but vertical, it may be pretty tough. What makes you think the wheels are weak? Was the tension insufficient on the spokes? Or non-uniform?
    Yes, I can roll my own potsticker skins!

  3. #3
    Senior Member xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    My Bikes
    2013 TREK 7.6 FX
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gyozadude View Post
    The specs don't tell us what the gauge of the spokes is. They do say "top quality" stainless. If they are 14 gauge, then 24 spokes is starting to get a bit on the light side for the rear. At your weight not a problem on the front, even with radial laced spokes. But the rear might be an issue. But if 12 gauge, or if the attachment at the hub is not a hooked end but vertical, it may be pretty tough. What makes you think the wheels are weak? Was the tension insufficient on the spokes? Or non-uniform?
    Just holding the back wheel, and pushing it side to side to check for bearing play. The salesman did say as long as I was not to rough they should be okay, but he would look into upgrading the back one. There very close to my Giant Escape in size, (which are 14 gauge according to there website) but they due feel a little bigger. How would I tell what size they are ? And they look like they hook in just like the Giant.
    2013 TREK 7.6 FX

  4. #4
    Senior Member xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    My Bikes
    2013 TREK 7.6 FX
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture : DSCN0672.jpg DSCN0673.jpg
    2013 TREK 7.6 FX

  5. #5
    Climbers Apprentice vesteroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,472
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People seem to have a fear of a massive wheel failure when a wheel has x spokes and they weigh y pounds.

    while I suppose it's possible, I don't believe it would ever be likely. Breaking spokes and the wheel going out of true are much more likely occurrences.

    at 230 your not actually all that heavy as compared to many people who ask this question.

    i suggest riding the wheels and see how they do. While I agree they are on the light side, I don't think your in immenent danger.

  6. #6
    Watching and waiting. jethro56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mattoon,Ill
    My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    1,977
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Madone has 24 spoke wheels Trek wheels and they went 2500 miles before I had to tweek the spoke tension to keep them even and true. If it was me I'd get a Park tension meter and check them every 500 miles or so.

  7. #7
    Senior Member CACycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Posts
    4,440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
    People seem to have a fear of a massive wheel failure when a wheel has x spokes and they weigh y pounds.

    while I suppose it's possible, I don't believe it would ever be likely. Breaking spokes and the wheel going out of true are much more likely occurrences.

    at 230 your not actually all that heavy as compared to many people who ask this question.

    i suggest riding the wheels and see how they do. While I agree they are on the light side, I don't think your in immenent danger.
    +1

  8. #8
    Senior Member xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    My Bikes
    2013 TREK 7.6 FX
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, sorry worrying about it, just paid a lot of money out & was thinking Oh darn. Now I'm going to have a wheel set right away. I will get the park tool, and just ride for now.. Thanks again for answering, never thought about how many people would ask this question. But over on the Hybrid forum you see the same ones ALL the time. Which bike should I get etc..
    2013 TREK 7.6 FX

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bill Kapaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
    My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Posts
    6,927
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thing to do is have the spokes properly tensioned BEFORE you ride.
    Doing so after "X" miles may have already started to shortened their "potential" life.

  10. #10
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a set of Bontrager Select wheels on my Lemond ($1100) that would not stay true for more than a week (230 lbs). I fussed and fought with them for 3 months to squeeze 2000 miles out of them (busy year). Wasn't worth the hassle. I upgraded to Race model and my luck wasn't much better.

    Although the wheels won't explode, they will leave you fusssing with them constantly if there is a problem. Seems hit and miss on stock wheels IMO. Now I just replace stock wheels cause I can cheaply building my own.

  11. #11
    Senior Member xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    My Bikes
    2013 TREK 7.6 FX
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    I had a set of Bontrager Select wheels on my Lemond ($1100) that would not stay true for more than a week (230 lbs). I fussed and fought with them for 3 months to squeeze 2000 miles out of them (busy year). Wasn't worth the hassle. I upgraded to Race model and my luck wasn't much better.

    Although the wheels won't explode, they will leave you fusssing with them constantly if there is a problem. Seems hit and miss on stock wheels IMO. Now I just replace stock wheels cause I can cheaply building my own.
    I have determined to just ride them, and go from there. Not able to build my own YET
    2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •