Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50
  1. #26
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,990
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdonges View Post
    Tried to do my first metric century yesterday. The plan was to ride 70km to my old hometown, then 30km out to the local lake and back. But by the time I had done the 70, my legs were done. Hopefully I will be fitter/stronger/lighter next time I try and I can make it.

    http://app.strava.com/activities/48253137

    The other road users were really nice and left heaps of room when overtaking. I have two flats. I think next time I will take some co2 as well as a pump.

    All up it took me 4 hours at 17km/h.
    You might have fallen short of your goal but you needn't regard it as an outright fail. 70km is a respectable distance to ride on a mountain bike, especially if it's a new personal best. Pick yourself up, keep training, and try again. Next time around if you feel particularly tired sometimes it can help to just take a few minutes break, get some calories down you and then press on. I remember a ride I did with some friends where I was really struggling with hills right from the beginning and honestly didn't think I'd have the legs for the big hill of the day. We were taking turns driving the support car and my turn came right before the big hill, so after parking I ate a bunch of peanuts and jelly beans and then got up the hill faster than my riding buddies could manage.

    My wife attempted a 100k last year, got to about 80k and had to bail because her knees were causing her a lot of pain. She was gutted at having to quit the ride but a few months later we did another one and she completed it with plenty left in the tank. Even though she didn't make her 100k the first time the 80k she did was a new personal best by a fair margin, and the conditions were so bad it was quite an achievement for her to get that far in the first place.

    I was going to go around this corner so much faster than 90kph but since I saw this sign I slowed down.
    Attachment 310074
    That's your problem, if you'd kept your speed up you could have freewheeled for the last 30k
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  2. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    My Bikes
    Mongoose Crossway 250, Giant Upland SE
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have reasonably smooth tires on my mountain bike, not the regular nobblies.

  3. #28
    Senior Member goldfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota/Arizona and between
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    3,909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdonges View Post
    I do have reasonably smooth tires on my mountain bike, not the regular nobblies.
    You can get fairly narrow tires on most mountain bikes. I put 1.5 inch tires on my spouse's mountain bike and it made a huge difference.

  4. #29
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Posts
    4,458
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No such thing as failure... always consider it a learning experience and training for the next time.
    ______________________________________________________________

    Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

  5. #30
    Senior Member ZManT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    My Bikes
    2010 Trek FX 7.2, 2006 Felt F80
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No failure
    much win

  6. #31
    What, me worry? Telly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    My Bikes
    Corratec / Jamis
    Posts
    1,105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats man, you certainly didn't fail in my book!

  7. #32
    Senior Member AWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    2013 Reid Aquila, 2013 Reid X126
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your ride!

    70km is certainly a great ride, and you finished it on a MTB, I wish I could do that on my road bike!

    You even had your own support vehicle, how cool is that!
    -Andy




  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    My Bikes
    Mongoose Crossway 250, Giant Upland SE
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and daughter dropped me off at the start point and then dropped some bags with food/water at agreed spots by the side of the road and waited for me at the end. How awesome are they?

  9. #34
    Senior Member mdphoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    My Bikes
    Trek H2 APEX, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Bianchi Alfana
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no way that your ride could even be considered a failure. First off you got on the bike to attempt a significant ride and you rode it to a point of setting a new goal for yourself. So many say "I'm going to...." and never do but you got out there and did it. As many have already mentioned you far exceeded what many of us could do on your mountain bike so Congrats on this accomplishment.
    Mike

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kearneysville, WV
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)
    Posts
    739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerDawg View Post
    Reward yourself by getting a road bike, or at least road tires. You will be amazed.
    +1 on the hybrid tires! Just putting hybrid tires on your bike will make WORLDS of difference! I HIGHLY recommend Continental "Town & Country" tires if you have a 26er and most DEFINITELY recommend Continental "Tour RIDEs" if you have a 29er. I have nothing but EXCELLENT things to say about both of these tires! I've owned both and I've used both. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that with my Continental "Tour RIDES" my MTB is just as fast as my road bike on the pavement. They are not only fast on the road but they are very puncture resistant, which is a plus.

    I'm going to go out on a limb and say this much; by going with a good hybrid tire for your MTB, it will have you could easily second-guess ever needing a road bike. By upgrading to these tires on my MTB, I will honestly say that the performance of the MTB on street kind of renders my roadie useless. Simply put, I'm faster on the MTB with hybrids than I am on the roadie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Astrozombie View Post
    Wait a minute here, i'm much lighter than you TC, have slicks and bike shorts, did you have the shorts? I'm going to swap out the fork, but the most I've done is about 70km as well, DOH!!
    The kicker is i've been riding for over a year and never really pushed myself! That's really impressive with knobbies i have to say.
    The thing is you start to get zapped and think you have nothing left, with water and food you can catch a second wind.(It's weird how that happens about 3-4 hours into a ride)
    I'm going to try my metric really soon.
    With a roadie you would have made it for sure
    I couldn't agree more! Amazing how a few good swigs of water really give a boost; nitrous oxide for the soul!
    - Dan \m/

  11. #36
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,406
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good effort...keep on riding (safely of course).
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  12. #37
    Zeusmeatball Push's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    CT
    My Bikes
    1976 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 1988 Specialized Rockhopper comp, 1991 Schwinn Crisscross, 2009 K2 Zed 3.2, 2011 Trek X-Caliber Gary Fisher collection
    Posts
    259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome man, like others have said its not a failure at all! keep those pedals turning.
    My weight loss & fitness blog, I lost more than 200 pounds so far!
    My new weight loss blog more centered around bicycling.
    My rides
    1976 Motobecane Nomade Sprint
    1988 Specialized Rockhopper comp
    1991 Schwinn Crisscross
    2009 K2 Zed 3.2
    2011 Trek X-Caliber Gary Fisher collection

    "Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand"
    ~Paul Newman as Cool hand Luke~

  13. #38
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to try a metric century here in a few weeks. I know for certain I have not built up to it so I may not make it as well. You can call it "fail" if you want and I'm the same way but what that words means is up to you. If you see it as "I failed but I'm not all depressed about it" then you can use the word "fail". I do as well. If you get down about it then use a different word.

    I use the word "fail" here and there in a "I failed for sure but next time I may or may not". It's all in the meaning you attach to it.

  14. #39
    Senior Member skilsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Build up to it. You will be there before you know it.

    Don't listen to the guys that say you need a road bike.
    It is the engine not the bike.
    But if you have knobby tires, some smooth tires would make a big difference.

    Don't put yourself down.
    Practice doing 50 km.
    Tank up with water before you go, and drink lots on the ride.
    Eat about a powerbar per hour.

    Track your progress.

    My son is a triathlon coach, and this is what he tells his athletes.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

  15. #40
    Senior Member tergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Logan, QLD ,Australia
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    70kms on a MTB !!! .... and you failed how ?

    Where about in Australia are you ? if you don't mind giving out the info
    Tact is for people who arenít witty enough to use sarcasm.

    Early helplessness is the price we pay for later brilliance. Or, at least our later capacity for non-idiocy

  16. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    My Bikes
    Mongoose Crossway 250, Giant Upland SE
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tergal View Post
    70kms on a MTB !!! .... and you failed how ?

    Where about in Australia are you ? if you don't mind giving out the info
    I am more a commuter than a long distance rider. Probably should have done more prep than 10km trips to work and one 40km ride. Will give it another try another day.

    I live in Toowoomba, Queensland. I wanted to ride into Inglewood, Queensland because of this long story... 17 months ago I told my dad that I was thinking about riding again and he offered me his old hybrid bike. It was an ok bike but the tires were crumbling so I asked if he wanted to give me new tires for Christmas. He did and when I opened them on Christmas day my grandma made a snarky comment that I would never use them. She was kind of right because I had spoke issues with the hybrid so I got a mountain bike with different size wheels but she was kind of wrong because I have done over 2000km since. She lives in Inglewood so I wanted to do the long ride there to show her how wrong she was.

  17. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    My Bikes
    Mongoose Crossway 250, Giant Upland SE
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
    I'm going to try a metric century here in a few weeks. I know for certain I have not built up to it so I may not make it as well. You can call it "fail" if you want and I'm the same way but what that words means is up to you. If you see it as "I failed but I'm not all depressed about it" then you can use the word "fail". I do as well. If you get down about it then use a different word.

    I use the word "fail" here and there in a "I failed for sure but next time I may or may not". It's all in the meaning you attach to it.
    I am not too disappointed. I made it the 72km to Inglewood, and that was my first goal. I should have had some lunch and then pushed myself to get out there again, but maybe next time.

  18. #43
    Senior Member tergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Logan, QLD ,Australia
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdonges View Post
    I am more a commuter than a long distance rider. Probably should have done more prep than 10km trips to work and one 40km ride. Will give it another try another day.

    I live in Toowoomba, Queensland. I wanted to ride into Inglewood, Queensland because of this long story... 17 months ago I told my dad that I was thinking about riding again and he offered me his old hybrid bike. It was an ok bike but the tires were crumbling so I asked if he wanted to give me new tires for Christmas. He did and when I opened them on Christmas day my grandma made a snarky comment that I would never use them. She was kind of right because I had spoke issues with the hybrid so I got a mountain bike with different size wheels but she was kind of wrong because I have done over 2000km since. She lives in Inglewood so I wanted to do the long ride there to show her how wrong she was.
    I live down in Logan , i knew those roads where familiar was up in Toowoomba a few weeks ago in the car , passing though to head out to leyburn

    Have to get up there to go for a ride with you one day , i ride a MTB and commute to work as well Makes going to work worth it .
    Tact is for people who arenít witty enough to use sarcasm.

    Early helplessness is the price we pay for later brilliance. Or, at least our later capacity for non-idiocy

  19. #44
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger View Post
    +1 on the hybrid tires! Just putting hybrid tires on your bike will make WORLDS of difference! I HIGHLY recommend Continental "Town & Country" tires if you have a 26er and most DEFINITELY recommend Continental "Tour RIDEs" if you have a 29er. I have nothing but EXCELLENT things to say about both of these tires! I've owned both and I've used both. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that with my Continental "Tour RIDES" my MTB is just as fast as my road bike on the pavement. They are not only fast on the road but they are very puncture resistant, which is a plus.

    I'm going to go out on a limb and say this much; by going with a good hybrid tire for your MTB, it will have you could easily second-guess ever needing a road bike. By upgrading to these tires on my MTB, I will honestly say that the performance of the MTB on street kind of renders my roadie useless. Simply put, I'm faster on the MTB with hybrids than I am on the roadie.



    I couldn't agree more! Amazing how a few good swigs of water really give a boost; nitrous oxide for the soul!
    I have the Continental "Town & Country" tires. I'm happy with them.

  20. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    My Bikes
    Mongoose Crossway 250, Giant Upland SE
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tergal View Post
    I live down in Logan , i knew those roads where familiar was up in Toowoomba a few weeks ago in the car , passing though to head out to leyburn

    Have to get up there to go for a ride with you one day , i ride a MTB and commute to work as well Makes going to work worth it .
    If you want to go for a ride in Toowoomba, this one is pretty cool, although I have never done it with the official group:

    http://www.toowoombarc.qld.gov.au/co...ng-club-ride-1

  21. #46
    Senior Member tergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Logan, QLD ,Australia
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdonges View Post
    If you want to go for a ride in Toowoomba, this one is pretty cool, although I have never done it with the official group:

    http://www.toowoombarc.qld.gov.au/co...ng-club-ride-1

    5 Bucks says i get lost and end up at crows nest !
    Tact is for people who arenít witty enough to use sarcasm.

    Early helplessness is the price we pay for later brilliance. Or, at least our later capacity for non-idiocy

  22. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    My Bikes
    Mongoose Crossway 250, Giant Upland SE
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tergal View Post
    5 Bucks says i get lost and end up at crows nest !
    I am sure your legs will get tired before you make it up there

  23. #48
    Senior Member tergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Logan, QLD ,Australia
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdonges View Post
    I am sure your legs will get tired before you make it up there

    True . Once my bike is back at 100% i will have to try and get up there to do that ride, nice and early in the morning ... i am sure my partner will love driving me up there !!! ( no i am not riding from logan to toowoomba )
    Tact is for people who arenít witty enough to use sarcasm.

    Early helplessness is the price we pay for later brilliance. Or, at least our later capacity for non-idiocy

  24. #49
    Senior Member digibud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Further North than U
    My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Posts
    1,528
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well done other than the fact that you clearly need to learn to ride on the correct side of the road

  25. #50
    just pedal donalson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kemah, TX (greater Houston area)
    My Bikes
    Surly Disc Trucker, Klein stage comp, trek 560
    Posts
    902
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will echo a ton of what the other guys have... 70km on a MTB is a BIG deal and a huge job especially with minimal support (although huge props to your family for helping out like hey did)... figure out your weakness and work on fixing it

    I did my 100k a few years back on a 29er that I'd modified a bit for road use (this is a pic of me after I finished... if you can't tell I was excited)
    3349_76803867445_4824952_n.jpg

    riding with some other guys helped me out tremendously, even in the un-aero position on my MTB getting into a pace line was night and day difference... I month later I built up an older trek road bike, it had a fairly upright position to deal with my unflexable self but it was still so much more comfortable and faster to ride. Sadly I never had a chance to get it on any real long rides before I ended up having to sell it.

    I'm just now getting back into riding after a few years off and hope to do another 100k this year... and perhaps the ms150 next year but that will def be on a good fitting road bike, not another converted MTB (which is what i'm riding right now)

    anyway good job... use it as an encouragement and move forward with that
    mtbr clyd moderator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •