Just found this forum and have been reading all evening. I will fully admit that I am an Uber Clyde. I started a new job 6 months ago where lots of my coworkers ride to work, or go on rides after work. I am going to talk to some of them about this, but thought I would post here as well. I'm interested in starting to ride again, it's been 10-15 years not to mention 150+ lbs since I last rode . I live roughly 5 miles from my place of work, I would like to be able to ride to and from every day, minus those days that are -20 and blowing snow/ice. I want to do this for my own health, to start taking some of this excess weight off. I'm going to list of what I'm trying to figure out, if anybody has any input I welcome it.
- Ability to ride gravel roads (5 miles from work, 3-4 of those miles are gravel)
- I want something that's going to be rugged, weight of the bike is not an issue. I'd rather it be heavy and strong.
- I want something that is going to be quality and not fall apart on me 3 months down the road
- What components do you consider an absolutely must have?
- What do I need to be aware of as a heavy rider? Spokes breaking, flat tires, broken pedals, etc? (I've been reading about lots of potential issues for Uber Clydes)
- How much is realistic for me to spend on a decent setup?
- What other questions should I be asking my local bike shop?
- I'm going to check with my local bike shop this weekend, see if they have thoughts/recommendations and I want to go in educated at least a little bit.