Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    Senior Member fatguy_ona_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lindenhurst, Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    '13 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    This is my kind of section

    So yeah, I'm new to the forum and figured I'd say hi. I'm 6' 3", 290lb. Do I qualify?

    I started road biking last summer in order to become more active. I even commuted on average twice a week to the office last fall. Unfortunately, between tire issues, saddle issues, less than ideal weather and taking 4 months to study for a licensing exam, I'm just starting to ride now for this season


    Here's the poor thing that carries me with some new, more durable, tires. I also just installed a Selle-Anatomica saddle on her now which I hope to be much better:



    I look forward to reading through here to gain some tips!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kearneysville, WV
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)
    Posts
    739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguy_ona_bike View Post
    So yeah, I'm new to the forum and figured I'd say hi. I'm 6' 3", 290lb. Do I qualify?

    I started road biking last summer in order to become more active. I even commuted on average twice a week to the office last fall. Unfortunately, between tire issues, saddle issues, less than ideal weather and taking 4 months to study for a licensing exam, I'm just starting to ride now for this season


    Here's the poor thing that carries me with some new, more durable, tires. I also just installed a Selle-Anatomica saddle on her now which I hope to be much better:



    I look forward to reading through here to gain some tips!
    Welcome to the forum! Now quit posting on the internet and get out there and ride!
    - Dan \m/

  3. #3
    Senior Member dougclyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lancaster / Harrisburg PA
    My Bikes
    '10 Cervelo S2, '12 Cervelo P3, '13 Cervelo S5, '12 Wilier GT
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey fatguy - good morning and welcome. I started 2 years ago similar to you, 6'3" and 262. I am now 214 as of this morning, and I have dabbled in racing since last season. Keep riding no matter what happens! As long as you enjoy it more than you whine about doing it (we all do sometimes, until the bike starts moving, then the whining stops) you'll feel and look better. It has changed my life, literally. F whatever anyone else says or does or how they look at you. Just keep riding, there are plenty of us that will support and help you!

    -20 pounds to go for me. Set a goal and ride there my friend.

    -Doug

  4. #4
    Senior Member fatguy_ona_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lindenhurst, Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    '13 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! I don't mind the looks all that much. I get more weird looks commuting than I do on trails and whatnot. People on LI don't 'do' bike commuting

    The excuses run strong with me at times. Lately, I was getting a lot of flat tires (every ride) so I bought tougher ones. I tried to ride a week or so ago, but my saddle was killing me within 1/4 mile, even after a decent tune. Hopefully the new seat will do the trick. Those two things were highly discouraging. Next week I should start my commute which is about 9 miles one way. Not too terrible, but every little bit helps.

    And please excuse the shed. I didn't realize how bad it still looks! Sandy did a fine job... Thanks again!

  5. #5
    Senior Member AWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    2013 Reid Aquila, 2013 Reid X126
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums
    -Andy




  6. #6
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,893
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguy_ona_bike View Post
    . I tried to ride a week or so ago, but my saddle was killing me within 1/4 mile, even after a decent tune. Hopefully the new seat will do the trick.
    If you find that the new saddle doesn't do the trick, you may want to get a bicycle fitting.

    And if that doesn't work, you can always get 'bent!

    Err..., I mean a recumbent. .
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Carpe Velo Yo Spiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Posts
    2,502
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguy_ona_bike View Post
    Hopefully the new seat will do the trick. Those two things were highly discouraging. Next week I should start my commute which is about 9 miles one way. Not too terrible, but every little bit helps.
    The trouble with finding a saddle you like is that everyone's butt is unique. One person's easy chair is another's torture device. Experiment with adjustments because it may not be the saddle at all. Height, fore/aft & tilt. We have even found my wife needs her saddle rotated just a touch one way to avoid some pressure in the wrong places. I ride a leather Brooks and tend to prefer my saddle as dead-level as possible. It's a good starting point, but many people end up with a bit nose down or nose up.

    Welcome aboard, keep those gears turning and have fun!
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

  8. #8
    Senior Member fatguy_ona_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lindenhurst, Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    '13 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post
    If you find that the new saddle doesn't do the trick, you may want to get a bicycle fitting.

    And if that doesn't work, you can always get 'bent!

    Err..., I mean a recumbent. .
    I think this is the next step if I can't get a good feeling after a few 25 mile rides. I'm afraid of a recumbent with commuting, otherwise I probably would have considered one more seriously.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
    The trouble with finding a saddle you like is that everyone's butt is unique. One person's easy chair is another's torture device. Experiment with adjustments because it may not be the saddle at all. Height, fore/aft & tilt. We have even found my wife needs her saddle rotated just a touch one way to avoid some pressure in the wrong places. I ride a leather Brooks and tend to prefer my saddle as dead-level as possible. It's a good starting point, but many people end up with a bit nose down or nose up.

    Welcome aboard, keep those gears turning and have fun!
    1000 times yes. My last saddle I was able to improve with a tune, but it was still pretty bad and caused those sits bones to cry. Considering my size, I practically have no butt! I can feel my sit bones in almost any chair.

    I felt pretty good on some quick test rides last night on the new saddle. I have her nose up and toward the right a degree or so. Not too bad and a large improvement over the last two. Since it's nothing more than a leather sling, I'm hoping it'll break in a bit. Nothing kills a ride for me more than that seat bone pain. Achey legs? No problem. About to die of a heart attack from a hill? It happens. Fighting a head wind with your ass screaming? Time to go home.

  9. #9
    Just Plain Slow PhotoJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230
    Posts
    4,175
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You realize that soon your going to have to add "yuse2b-" to the beginning of your screen name!
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not the sport for you!

  10. #10
    Senior Member fatguy_ona_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lindenhurst, Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    '13 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol I'm maxed out on characters already! Truth be told, I'll always be large. The lightest I was in my adult life was at the end of college. I was around 230-240 and that was working out 3 times a week. I looked thin and had a nice strength. My goal weight is currently 220, however if I'm feeling good at 230, I won't sweat the extra 10lb. Honestly, I like my weight, I just don't like the fat that came with it! Strength and health are the bigger concerns. If I have a little extra, I won't be crying about that.

    But even if I hit my target 220, I'll still look large on a road bike. But that's ok. If I can keep up with the skinnies, I'll be happy. I enjoy the looks on people's faces as I blow by them on the trail

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguy_ona_bike View Post
    Lol I'm maxed out on characters already! Truth be told, I'll always be large. The lightest I was in my adult life was at the end of college. I was around 230-240 and that was working out 3 times a week. I looked thin and had a nice strength. My goal weight is currently 220, however if I'm feeling good at 230, I won't sweat the extra 10lb. Honestly, I like my weight, I just don't like the fat that came with it! Strength and health are the bigger concerns. If I have a little extra, I won't be crying about that.

    But even if I hit my target 220, I'll still look large on a road bike. But that's ok. If I can keep up with the skinnies, I'll be happy. I enjoy the looks on people's faces as I blow by them on the trail
    Great attitude! That's pretty much how I look at it--I have a "target" weight, but will be happy at 10 or so above it (My target is around 200, but I'd be happy at 210-215...).Good work, and keep it up! Oh, and great first post--even included a pic!!
    "I had this baby hand made in Tuscany, from titanium blessed by the pope. It weighs less than a fart, and costs more than a divorce..."

  12. #12
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,893
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguy_ona_bike View Post
    I think this is the next step if I can't get a good feeling after a few 25 mile rides. I'm afraid of a recumbent with commuting, otherwise I probably would have considered one more seriously.
    I (as well as many others) commute happily on a recumbent. I've ridden a recumbent on the Tour de Bronx which had to both deal with city traffic (when we got lost) as well as (literally) thousands of other bicycle riders. And I did so quite happily (well, o.k., I didn't mean to get lost, but I didn't mind the recumbent ).

    It sounds to me as the issues you are having can be made (a lot) better with the correct fit and saddle, so it's definitely worth checking that out.

    Of course, if you want to be truly comfortable...
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  13. #13
    Senior Member ZManT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    My Bikes
    2010 Trek FX 7.2, 2006 Felt F80
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome!

    this is a great sub-forum with good people who have good advice, relevant experience and largely a great sense of humor about it all

    one thing i did to make things more interesting is to get a tracking app for my smartphone and use it to track my mileage. fun!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    4,278
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that is the longest exposed section of seat post I have ever seen. How many inches are inside the seat tube?

  15. #15
    Senior Member fatguy_ona_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lindenhurst, Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    '13 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
    Great attitude! That's pretty much how I look at it--I have a "target" weight, but will be happy at 10 or so above it (My target is around 200, but I'd be happy at 210-215...).Good work, and keep it up! Oh, and great first post--even included a pic!!
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post
    I (as well as many others) commute happily on a recumbent. I've ridden a recumbent on the Tour de Bronx which had to both deal with city traffic (when we got lost) as well as (literally) thousands of other bicycle riders. And I did so quite happily (well, o.k., I didn't mean to get lost, but I didn't mind the recumbent ).

    It sounds to me as the issues you are having can be made (a lot) better with the correct fit and saddle, so it's definitely worth checking that out.

    Of course, if you want to be truly comfortable...
    Well that is good to hear. I live in a clueless area where texting is common, turn signals are optional and checking mirrors is passe. I figure I'd be less visible on the public roads on an incumbent. How is the stopping/starting on them at, say. a light?

    But if I have some issues with this seat, I'll go in for a fitting. Hopefully, that'll be the end of it.

  16. #16
    Senior Member fatguy_ona_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lindenhurst, Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    '13 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZManT View Post
    welcome!

    this is a great sub-forum with good people who have good advice, relevant experience and largely a great sense of humor about it all

    one thing i did to make things more interesting is to get a tracking app for my smartphone and use it to track my mileage. fun!
    I've been using Strava since day one. It really helps keeping my goals in check and to see how I compare to others. I also set up two private segments--one for each way on my commute-- to track myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
    I think that is the longest exposed section of seat post I have ever seen. How many inches are inside the seat tube?
    LMAO I was waiting for someone to catch that. That was an experimental setting before I found how to properly set up a seat. It was way too far back and way too far up. The seat is about 4" (no joke) lower now. This pic was only meant for my cycling buddy, showing off my new purdy blue tires that I put on about 2 weeks ago. I road the bike this high only once. It wasn't comfortable...

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    4,278
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was more concerned that you had so little seat post in the tube that you could cause a nasty crash and/or damage the frame. The seat post is typically marked with a line indicating it's maximum height.

  18. #18
    Senior Member fatguy_ona_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lindenhurst, Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    '13 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured, but I took a step back not too long ago "something isn't right here" and changed it. I did, however, check for a ring--painted or grove--when I extented it. Nothing at that point.

  19. #19
    Senior Member SeanBlader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Campbell, CA 95008
    My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Di2
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguy_ona_bike View Post
    Awe, I wanted an Allez in black, that's awesome! I am going to have to insist however that you get your fenders done in black too. :-) Welcome to the forum!

  20. #20
    Senior Member fatguy_ona_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lindenhurst, Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    '13 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I figured the silver would pop nicely. Wrong. But hey, I'll keep it for now. I have too many other things to money towards. Other than that, I'm thrilled with the bike. A great entry level bike, for sure.

  21. #21
    Senior Member cyclist2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Up
    My Bikes
    Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1)
    Posts
    2,843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguy_ona_bike View Post
    I've been using Strava since day one. It really helps keeping my goals in check and to see how I compare to others. I also set up two private segments--one for each way on my commute-- to track myself.



    LMAO I was waiting for someone to catch that. That was an experimental setting before I found how to properly set up a seat. It was way too far back and way too far up. The seat is about 4" (no joke) lower now. This pic was only meant for my cycling buddy, showing off my new purdy blue tires that I put on about 2 weeks ago. I road the bike this high only once. It wasn't comfortable...
    I hope it wasn't comfortable when the drops are around your knees.
    I don't do vintage, I bought them new, rode them, kept them. Now they are just old bikes
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bustercrb/sets/72157623483647522/

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey fatguy,
    I was a Lon Gislander for 17 years, but actually grew up Upstate. Never got used to it and finally escaped back up here 7 years ago. Only thing it did for me was to fatten my wallet and my &$$. I tried and tried to keep the wheels rolling, actually managed to commute 11 miles to my job near the north shore for a year but just found the place too hostile.

    Big ups for you makin' it work there. It's the mean streets for cyclists!

    BTW, not to make you jealous but yesterday I was on a 28 mile loop I like and for one stretch of 7 or 8 miles was passed by all of 3 cars.
    I never miss an opportunity to try to recruit people off LI.

  23. #23
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,406
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the OP, welcome.

    For the record, some of the "heavier set" folks in this sub-forum are pretty darned good riders. Last Sunday I rode 100 miles with three of them and they had no problem climbing long, steep climbs or going against a steady headwind.

    So now you have something to look forward to.

    Again, welcome.
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  24. #24
    Senior Member fatguy_ona_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lindenhurst, Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    '13 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I somewhat chickened out of my commute today. I had a long weekend of babysitting my sister's 3 kids and dog (along with my wife and our 2 dogs). I also did a lot of yard work and wound getting a not-so-good burn on my neck. I had/have a touch of sun poisoning, so I opted to drive in. I'll be taking a ride tonight in lieu the commute, hoping I'll feel better and have less sun on me. Kind of bummed, but as I sit here now, I made the right choice.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD6421 View Post
    Hey fatguy,
    I was a Lon Gislander for 17 years, but actually grew up Upstate. Never got used to it and finally escaped back up here 7 years ago. Only thing it did for me was to fatten my wallet and my &$$. I tried and tried to keep the wheels rolling, actually managed to commute 11 miles to my job near the north shore for a year but just found the place too hostile.

    Big ups for you makin' it work there. It's the mean streets for cyclists!

    BTW, not to make you jealous but yesterday I was on a 28 mile loop I like and for one stretch of 7 or 8 miles was passed by all of 3 cars.
    I never miss an opportunity to try to recruit people off LI.
    Lol you can keep upstate! I went to school in Rochester and was quite excited about it. After 5 years up there, I'm happy to be back. Luckily, I was able to find a job close to my childhood home and now have actually bought it from my father. I like that everything is close by. LI's not perfect, but in 1hr:10min, I'm in The City. In 1hr:30min, I'm out in farmland with beautiful county side and plenty of beach, fishing and shellfish.


    ...I could live without the traffic, though...



    Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    To the OP, welcome.

    For the record, some of the "heavier set" folks in this sub-forum are pretty darned good riders. Last Sunday I rode 100 miles with three of them and they had no problem climbing long, steep climbs or going against a steady headwind.

    So now you have something to look forward to.

    Again, welcome.
    Great and thank you!

  25. #25
    That guy from the Chi Chitown_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc
    Posts
    990
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguy_ona_bike View Post
    .... I had a long weekend of babysitting my sister's 3 kids and dog (along with my wife and our 2 dogs).....

    Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the laugh! Not that you meant it, but the image of grouping your wife in with babysitting some kids and pets just was funny. Because I know what my wife would do to me if she read that, and she is totally a grammar/punctuation nut.
    Looking forward to my winter commuting adventure.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •