Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   LA Marathon Crash Race (Wolfpack Hustle) 2014 - March 9 - IT'S ON! (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/891028-la-marathon-crash-race-wolfpack-hustle-2014-march-9-its.html)

jsigone 12-19-13 09:20 AM

I'm aiming to be at Solvang Century w/ family that weekend. We'll see if that actually happens..... PJ you need put a gopro on ur bike so we can see the ma ham that happens on the back end of the "race"

PhotoJoe 12-19-13 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16342740)
PJ you need put a gopro on ur bike so we can see the ma ham that happens on the back end of the "race"

I've thought about it. I don't have a gopro, but I think I could manage getting video. We hang at the BACK of the pack so we avoid the mayham. It is truly crazy at the front. This is a HUGE "underground" race with HUGE bragging rights for whoever wins the dog tags. I've seen video from the front of the pack and honestly, I don't want to be anywhere near there.


The video of the start doesn't do this justice. There was about at least 200 yards of shoulder-to-shoulder cyclists, probably more. The sea of blinkie lights was awesome. We started back my McDonalds. We actually used an LAPD car as a shield at the beginning. We sat down-stream of it and let everyone go around. Once it calmed down, then we rode our "race". We saw a fair amount of carnage from the front pack. Taco'd rims, bloodied riders, etc. From what I've heard and seen, the front is just chaos. Great ride from the back, though. Can't wait.

jsigone, if your not at the Solvang, we'll expect to see you at the Marathon, right?

iTrek 12-19-13 11:33 AM

On youtube there are a few videos, this looks like a fun ride. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q15PRQMxv0Y

jsigone 12-19-13 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJoe (Post 16342872)
jsigone, if your not at the Solvang, we'll expect to see you at the Marathon, right?

highly unlikely if I can't fund Solvang, I can fund a Hollywood trip. Plus it defies my rule of the ride has to be longer then the drive unless it's a race. I can loan you my Contour camera if you'd like to catch the action shot.

Erwin8r 12-19-13 03:32 PM

Try to make it, Jsig--it's technically an unofficial race (ha!)...

Anyone taking the train/bus from the Glendora/San Dimas area? It would be cool to travel with some of the locals...

PhotoJoe 12-19-13 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16343355)
highly unlikely if I can't fund Solvang, I can fund a Hollywood trip.

So, that's the story you're going with? Ok!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16343355)
Plus it defies my rule of the ride has to be longer then the drive unless it's a race.

So, like Erwin said, take the train up, then ride home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16343355)
I can loan you my Contour camera if you'd like to catch the action shot.

Thanks. I'll let you know. I think I may have a solution that will work. It weighs abot 35 lbs., and requires a small generator, but I think it will work! :roflmao2:

jsigone 12-19-13 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJoe (Post 16344342)
It weighs abot 35 lbs., and requires a small generator, but I think it will work! :roflmao2:


something that weighs more then twice you nice Lynskey Ti with Edge fork would defy all common logic. Just put your Canon5D2 on a gorilla pod and wrap it around your bars n stem. I'm sure you can ride and manual focus/zoom at night one handed w/ the fixie nation JUST fine :popcorn

PhotoJoe 12-19-13 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16344442)
something that weighs more then twice you nice Lynskey Ti with Edge fork would defy all common logic. Just put your Canon5D2 on a gorilla pod and wrap it around your bars n stem. I'm sure you can ride and manual focus/zoom at night one handed w/ the fixie nation JUST fine :popcorn

LOL. Sadly, my 5D is but a mere MkI (not that there was an official MkI, but you know what I mean!). Maybe I'll throw my 7D on there, though. I do have Bogen SuperClamps that I could use! I'll put my 17-40 on there and open it up wide so I don't have to focus.

jsigone 12-19-13 08:32 PM

your 5D is better then my 450d, hell I'm still using manual focus lens LOL

TrojanHorse 12-19-13 09:41 PM

I was drooling over a 6D last month... but somehow staved off upgradeitis. What I really need is a small body I can run around with, like a T4i or T5i in addition to that doorstop I have. :)

Beachgrad05 02-17-14 03:44 PM

Some of my Unlikely Cyclist pals are thinking of doing this too! So bumping this back up since it is FAST approaching

TrojanHorse 02-17-14 04:14 PM

Looks like you can go here to sign up: http://wolfpackhustle.com/marathon-crash-race/ Roughly $7, not bad.

As for transportation, I'm not really familiar with the area up by Tang's donuts and it is guaranteed to be a zoo after the "race" because of the marathon, so do you plan on parking near the finish and riding to the start? I'd be up for that but I don't see a lot of bike lane looking green on google maps.

PhotoJoe 02-17-14 05:58 PM

We park in the Kaiser Permante building at Sunset and N. Vermont. It works PERFECTLY because the Metro station is IN that building. Expo to Red Line. Works great if you don't want to ride all the way back, which we don't. I don't remember the exact route we took back to the freeway, however, I remember no traffic issues getting out after the ride.

So....WHO'S IN?

PhotoJoanne and I will be the slow pokes at the back of the pack. We're staying as far away from the craziness at the front as possible. If anyone wants to do it, we'd love to say hi at the start, but Mrs. PJ and I will be in no hurry, so please feel free to ride your own ride. :thumb:

No need to sign up if you don't want to. The $7 gets you a number so you can race for the dog tags. If you're not wanting to race, there is no reason to pay the $$. They even said this on their website last year. And there is NO SAG.

Here's last year's post. http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...n-ride-3-17-13

I have a video shoot the night before, so I won't get home until about 11pm. Then up at 2:30 for the ride. It'll be worth it! :D

Beachgrad05 02-17-14 08:25 PM

LA Marathon Crash Race (Wolfpack Hustle) 2014 - March 9 - Who's in?
 
Their site seems to be wanting registration even for non chipped second wave riders.

PhotoJoe 02-17-14 08:44 PM

Thanks for the update. I haven't looked at this year's website. I'll gladly pay the $14. I know they're working with the city for permits and such, and that's never free.

Beachgrad05 02-17-14 09:26 PM

One of my teammates was concerned so I looked closer....

TrojanHorse 02-17-14 11:25 PM

That $7 also gets you secondary medical insurance although I'm not sure what the value is since they probably insist you use your primary first and you must have primary to qualify for the secondary.

But still $7 (including event brite's fee) is pretty easy on the wallet. No racing for me, thanks.

So I think I'm in. No reason not to be, except for that pesky sleep thing.
@PhotoJoe - how does parking at Kaiser work? I can always park at my wife's office building down town and take the metro to Kaiser I guess.

tunavic 02-17-14 11:43 PM

Does anyone know if there's a way to get there using public transportation from the Redlands area?

I don't want to drive.

TrojanHorse 02-18-14 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tunavic (Post 16504875)
Does anyone know if there's a way to get there using public transportation from the Redlands area?

I don't want to drive.

Maybe metro link has a route you can use? http://www.metrolinktrains.com/routes/

you'll have to drive a little bit though. if you can make it to any park and ride west of the 57 I'll pick you up. :D

tunavic 02-18-14 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16504985)
Maybe metro link has a route you can use? http://www.metrolinktrains.com/routes/

you'll have to drive a little bit though. if you can make it to any park and ride west of the 57 I'll pick you up. :D

Train schedule doesn't work.

I'd love to join you guys but I'm out. Maybe next time.

PhotoJoe 02-18-14 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16504849)
how does parking at Kaiser work?

Keep in mind, this is based on the extensive experience of doing this ONCE. We drove into the parking garage and parked. No attendant on duty at 3am. When we got back to the truck, we paid the man something like $7 when we left. That's about the extent of it. Children's hospital is right across the street, too, in case there's a problem at Kaiser.

I wish the Red Line ran earlier. I'd park in N. Hollywood and take the train in, however, the first train isn't until 4:31 am, getting into the Vermont station at 4:45. Ride starts at 4:30. For faster riders, that's not a problem. But for us slow-pokes, losing that 15 minutes could be a problem. There was one stretch of Santa Monica Blvd. last year that LAPD pushed us all over onto the sidewalk stating the road was closed for the marathon. Yah, it's 6 am. Race starts in 2 hours 18 miles behind us. I see the urgency. Anyway, at the next block, we just dropped back into the street and finished the ride. Losing 15 more minutes could have been problematic...maybe. Besides, missing the start would be a shame. It is an amazing site to see the sea of red blinkies at the start.

Erwin8r 02-18-14 04:04 PM

Anybody want to carpool from the Glendora/San Dimas/La Verne area? PJ, TH, my wife and I are in, barring anything unforeseen. We, too, will be a slow (she's going to ride a single speed/fixie thing).

Erwin8r 02-18-14 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16344773)
your 5D is better then my 450d, hell I'm still using manual focus lens LOL

JSIG, you should shoot for the those dog tags for us Clydes! :thumb:

jsigone 02-18-14 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin8r (Post 16506851)
JSIG, you should shoot for the those dog tags for us Clydes! :thumb:


unfortunately my body seems to be built for endurance and I can't sprint for crap but can lead it out :crash: :cry:

PhotoJoe 02-18-14 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin8r (Post 16506846)
Anybody want to carpool from the Glendora/San Dimas/La Verne area? PJ, TH, my wife and I are in, barring anything unforeseen. We, too, will be a slow (she's going to ride a single speed/fixie thing).

Great! The more the merrier! There is one STEEP hill on the route right down by city hall. There is no way I'd want to do that on a fixie, but hundreds of other people do it, so it must be manageable! We'll be at the very back of the pack at the start. We'll be the ones with a headlight and blinky! :innocent::roflmao2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin8r (Post 16506851)
JSIG, you should shoot for the those dog tags for us Clydes! :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16506875)
unfortunately my body seems to be built for endurance and I can't sprint for crap but can lead it out :crash: :cry:

There is NO WAY I'd want to be anywhere near the front of the pack. From what I hear, it's really sketchy! :bike2:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 PM.