Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-13, 08:07 AM   #1
RSWingman
Member
Thread Starter
 
RSWingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N.W. Indiana
Bikes: Genesis Sabre
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garment for weight-loss related chaffing/saddle-sore?

Actually, I'm riding a Mountain-bike (Huffy) on the road - country roads... and I like the sturdy sure-footedness. I've got some nice-rolling hybrid road tires with a little bit of edge on them for turning & gravel.
I'm riding as a means of losing weight. I've got over 750 miles this year, have lost about 30 lbs and am having a great deal of chaffing/saddle-sore from my thigh saggage. I've got some good snug underwear that keeps in what should be in, and out, what should be out; but I wonder if there is some garment that some cyclists use, to further tame those out-of-control thighs?
RSWingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 08:59 AM   #2
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles
 
Daspydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Posts: 5,352
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Congrats on riding and your weight loss. I also like that you enjoy passing people. Competition is fun and will keep you moving forward.

A good pair of cycling shorts should be helpful. ADD to that what is called Chamois Cream. Its a lubricant that goes between your skin and cycling shorts, it helps with the chaffing big time. I am also going to move this thread to Clydes and Athenas. I am a Clyde-its a thread for riders in excess of 200lbs. Good bunch of people.
__________________
I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 09:41 AM   #3
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.
 
jethro56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mattoon,Ill
Bikes: Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
Posts: 1,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I like these products http://www.bodyglide.com/bike/
jethro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 10:02 AM   #4
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,023
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Bike shorts. You can also just get liners to put under regular shorts if you're not excited about wearing skin tight lycra in the great outdoors... mountain bike shorts are a sort of cross between the two I think.

Chamois cream is good for moisture control on long rides, so I don't bother with it for anything less than 70 miles or so but feel free to try some out if you think it will help you.

And no underwear under the bike shorts.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 10:02 AM   #5
Shakeyone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tricross-Sport
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If your not ready to go Lyrca cycle shorts yet there is a go between, You can get MTN bike liners with the chamois, look for ones with a longer inseam and make sure they are tight on the quads, I like the compression it makes my quads feel good and it keeps the loose skin from getting pinched between your butt and the seat. You will have to experiment with witch gripper (keeps from ridding up your leg and bunching up) works for you I like the silicone ones and it really depends on how much leg hair you have but you will have to figure out which works for you.
Shakeyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 10:04 AM   #6
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Posts: 4,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
A good pair of cycling shorts should be helpful. ADD to that what is called Chamois Cream. Its a lubricant that goes between your skin and cycling shorts, it helps with the chaffing big time. I am also going to move this thread to Clydes and Athenas. I am a Clyde-its a thread for riders in excess of 200lbs. Good bunch of people.
Can't give you any better advice. If you are uncomfortable wearing Lycra shorts, you can throw a shell (baggy short) over them but make sure the shell has some spanex content and is, at least slightly, stretchy - if you clothes are cottom based and binding, that will cause problems. Baggy shorts should be spanex/polyester based. There are shorts made for mountain biking that include liner with a chamois but my experience, the liners are not that stretchy and for bigger folks, tend to bind. Get a good pair of Lycra cycling shorts and then add a shell over it for a better fit.

Also I live by chamois creams. My favorite is Assos Creme but there and many other products out there including A&D Ointment you can use.

Welcome now to the C & A forum - great bunch of people here to encourage your journey.
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 10:08 AM   #7
bobotech
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520
Posts: 2,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what kind of saddle are you using? If you are using a giant fat gel saddle, that will be a big problem. I used to think those were the best so I rode them and wondered why I got so many rashes and why it was so uncomfortable. Those big saddles are awful.

After I switched to skinny saddles even at 350+ pounds, a lot of my soreness and rashes just disappeared.
bobotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 12:03 PM   #8
RSWingman
Member
Thread Starter
 
RSWingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N.W. Indiana
Bikes: Genesis Sabre
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By all means, thanks for all the input.
I'd just like to share a little lament - maybe find some commiseration:

I've been becoming frustrated with the amount of money & gear I've been pouring into my riding, and all the extra steps that have been steadily getting added to my riding checklist and I fear of my hobby becoming too much of a chore.
Gotta have the pepper spray & holster ($15ish) for the dog that attacked me twice & bit me once,
I now have my ergo-handlegrips ($8) to complement the strategically padded half-finger gloves ($25) for my ulnar nerve.
Also have a pair of "windshell" gloves ($30) for the colder days.
I bought a $35 pair of riding shoes (who can pass that up?). I like them actually, but...
I had to buy a $25 pair of studded pedals that would interface decently with them.
There are the road tires that I gladly swapped in for the knobbies and have had since last year - $50 and over 1000 miles on them.
I got a new bottle, as the original had a crack,
And then yes, there is the fat memory-foam seat ($24), on which I just end up using the front portion. I certainly don't want to pay what the bike-shop is gonna want. If I replace it, it'll have to be something available at Wal-mart. Prefer with a cutout.
And if a seat don't solve my problems, then I'll have to buy some more stuff to deal with that. And yes, that's what I came here asking about. But ya feel me?

This all started with just wanting to get on my bike & go and all I wanna do is simplify. What happened, man? I've got goals this year: Came from 125 (130 last year), 195ish now, wanna make 150ish by year's end.

Last edited by RSWingman; 05-30-13 at 12:16 PM.
RSWingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 12:16 PM   #9
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Posts: 4,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I understand the cost of the sport...trust me (as a person with a custom road bike and 2 very upgraded mountain bikes - what you have spent is peanuts!)... but next expense - get rid of the cheap fat saddle. You will thank me for that... I bet alot of problems will disappear when you get a smaller, lighter, skinnier saddle. Fat saddle - thighs rub.... skinny saddle, nothing to rub against...

BTW re the dog... next time you come across that dog or any other... stop the bike! Turn towards the dog (with the bike inbetween) and yell 'STOP! BAD DOG!!!!' really loud. Just keep yelling. The dog will know what it's doing is wrong and turn tail. He probably will leave you alone the next time. I lived out it the country many years and was routinely "attacked" by farm dogs... never got bit. Was never afraid. Never felt the need to carry pepper spray etc.
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 05-30-13 at 12:20 PM.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 12:21 PM   #10
RSWingman
Member
Thread Starter
 
RSWingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N.W. Indiana
Bikes: Genesis Sabre
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope, definitely not thrilled about Lycra or Spandex in public. Gotta be something under the jeans.
RSWingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 12:34 PM   #11
RSWingman
Member
Thread Starter
 
RSWingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N.W. Indiana
Bikes: Genesis Sabre
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
BTW re the dog... next time you come across that dog or any other... stop the bike! Turn towards the dog (with the bike inbetween) and yell 'STOP! BAD DOG!!!!' really loud. Just keep yelling. The dog will know what it's doing is wrong and turn tail. He probably will leave you alone the next time. I lived out it the country many years and was routinely "attacked" by farm dogs... never got bit. Was never afraid. Never felt the need to carry pepper spray etc.
That dog is loco, man! Yellow Lab, passive as hell... unless something sets her off. My best guess is that it was the checkered flannel coat I was wearing on both cold days. And the worst part is that her owners don't know or want to believe that side of her. I've had animal control on it twice and they still let it roam free, unobserved.

I've read online, to tell the dog to "go home" and to keep your side to them so as not to be threatening or running... nothing about stopping though. Upon the second attack, I'd already been bitten once and she came fast. I told her in escalating tone (in what time I had) to "stay home/go home". She won't listen and she's a mace-case waiting to happen... right next to a county park, on a designated bike-path no less. It was all I could do, to kick her off of me as she kept trying to pace me for the bite and I thought she would never stop. THAT is when I bought the pepper spray... should have the first time.

I've actually avoided her when the confrontation was foreseeable, figuring the extra half-mile wasn't worth it. But last time, I went by and she was in her usual laying spot. But when I turned around & came back, she had wandered 100 yards from the edge of their driveway. I won't be cut-off from home. I was at DEFCON-5 with the mace... went right by her, she didn't move at me.

I rode for a couple years and never felt threatened by a dog neither. There's one that only wants to prance alongside me and I would always give a friendly hello. When the owner is around and wants to teach it to "stay" and don't chase, I don't interfere. But this Yellow Lab changed everything.

For no reason... THROUGH my jeans. And once bitten, you will never feel completely secure again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7872_640.jpg (38.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by RSWingman; 05-30-13 at 01:55 PM.
RSWingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 12:37 PM   #12
RSWingman
Member
Thread Starter
 
RSWingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N.W. Indiana
Bikes: Genesis Sabre
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Skinny saddle:
How does this meet with everyone's approval? Skinny enough?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ventura-Sa...addle/19582647
RSWingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 12:39 PM   #13
historian
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWingman View Post
Nope, definitely not thrilled about Lycra or Spandex in public. Gotta be something under the jeans.
I feel the same so I just wear baggy sports shorts over the bike shorts. DO buy bike shorts though they make a WORLD of difference. Also the bigger the saddle the more uncomforable it is. Counter intuitive but the skinny road saddles are actually supporting you better because they hold your bones and not your skin/fat.
historian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 12:51 PM   #14
Shakeyone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tricross-Sport
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can really relate to riding on a budget. I dont know a lot about your bike other then the brand. That said your going to have to pick your battles. Battle I start with is 1 or 2 spare tubes, I think Huffy's are bolt on real wheels so a 14mm or 15mm wrench, multi tool and a saddle pack, there is nothing fun about a 10+ mile walk of shame. Think saddle been covered so wont beat that one to death, but the narrow and firm are hard at first you will adapt over time. I can relate to not wanting to sport lyrca but as temps warm the jeans wont cut it and will act as a sponge holding all that water against your skin and will be little you can so to avoid chaffing and heat rashes. Shirt too, I dont fit well in cycle jersey's so what I do is I get wicking golf polo's in the winter when they are dirt cheap can save a lot of money that way.

Just hang in there you will get past the frustration, keep reading about biking and you will come across many more tips to save money, start up is a ***** but when you get over the hill its downhill from there!
Shakeyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 02:22 PM   #15
chefisaac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lycra rocks. I love bibs and when commuting I wear them under a thin pair of shorts. Heck, in the summer time when it is really hot and humid, I wear them when walking and hiking.
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 03:57 PM   #16
ClydesMoose
Senior Member
 
ClydesMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Bikes: 2013 CAAD 8 6 Black/Red
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWingman View Post
Nope, definitely not thrilled about Lycra or Spandex in public. Gotta be something under the jeans.
This is likely part of the issue.
ClydesMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 04:38 PM   #17
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles
 
Daspydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Posts: 5,352
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I am a bit conservative when it comes to clothing. I always wore cargo shorts over my lycra shorts. The seams on the shorts were the source of my discomfort. They get caught between the leg and saddle and you grind on the threads. Thread seams aren't big, but they can cause irritation. Here are a couple of options that I like that combine shorts with the interpad and liner.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...ker-Shorts.htm

These knickers hit below the knee and my teenaged daughters think they are gross. Plenty of storage, very cool and comfortable. I call them my man capris or Pirate Pants.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...horts-2012.htm

The review and pricing on this pair seems so good I might jump on them.

There is also a word called "COMMANDO." Don't wear any tightey whities under lycra/spandex shorts. They will bunch up and cause more irritation. I went about 5 years wearing the TWies before I heard about commando. It helps a ton.
__________________
I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 08:08 PM   #18
phread59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central PA
Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know about that one (saddle). But the Specialized Riva road saddle is around 32 bucks. A real saddle from a bike company. I have one ordered for my road bike. Had one on a Spesh Allez I test rode and it felt great. Better than the Bondtrager torture device on the bike now. I f you get a Riva you can even get one of I believe 3 widths. Should be able to find one to fit you.

As to the spandex thing. There are just some things you have to put up with. This is one of them. You may think you look like a dweeb. But really it doesn't matter. The only one who has to care is you. Try a pair of shorts from Aerotech or Love 2 Pedal. They are inexpensive. Have a good reputation around here and will do the trick. Look to see if a Performance Bike franchise is near you. They are running a sale on clothing now. And lots of stuff on the discount racks. Give them a try too.

You got great advice above me. Take it you'll be glad you did. And welcome to you're new home!

Mark Shuman
phread59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 10:33 PM   #19
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,829
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
As I see it Saddle sores are the bacteria on the outside of the skin ,
taking advantage of Pores and sweaty skin, and friction, to bloom in the follicles and such.

On long bike tours I bring a squirt bottle of surgeons scrub, and wash those bits,
with it to knock back skin bacteria..

Oily scalp , I mix a bit with the shampoo, when the bacteria count there, gets a bit much.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 08:14 AM   #20
RSWingman
Member
Thread Starter
 
RSWingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N.W. Indiana
Bikes: Genesis Sabre
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, it's a tough area to survey, but I've identified one very raw spot. Could very well be the seams of the jeans where they criss-cross (and when I say "jeans", I include the cutoffs I've made). At the very least, I'll see if my wife has a patch or something to smooth that over. Lots of options to look into here. "Scouting" will kinda have to wait until a day that I have the car.

I'm heavily leaning toward the Walmart seat... unless the bike shop can compete.
It looks like they also have a $20 line of bike shorts... or $30 for mountain bike (though I only ride on paved country roads), but they apparently aren't carried in stores and they just might lose the sale over that.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ventura-Sa...addle/19582647
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Cl...Large/16539946

That's a place to start

Irrelevant rant:
Quote:
I use these stores' sites to find out what they've got in stock, so I can go buy it. It gets so frustrating, with all this "online only" crap. They think this is more convenient? They think I WANT to spread my identity, shipping & billing info just a little more all around the world? Bank account/Debit Cards hacked/stolen no fewer than 3 times, and I'm as careful as they come. First time, China, second, Hong Kong. Third time, someone withdrew directly from our checking by wire-transfer, to pay their bills. And we don't even have checks or know our own account number; we entirely use debit cards. How do you even combat that?
/rant
RSWingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 08:33 AM   #21
RSWingman
Member
Thread Starter
 
RSWingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N.W. Indiana
Bikes: Genesis Sabre
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah yes: Took one of the legs from the pair of cutoffs I'd made, cut it lengthwise, folded it and laid it across the insides of the legs (to cover those seams). If that goes well, maybe a stitch or two on the inside of each leg will hold it in place.
RSWingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 09:30 AM   #22
MattFoley
Senior Member
 
MattFoley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWingman View Post
By all means, thanks for all the input.
I'd just like to share a little lament - maybe find some commiseration:

I've been becoming frustrated with the amount of money & gear I've been pouring into my riding, and all the extra steps that have been steadily getting added to my riding checklist and I fear of my hobby becoming too much of a chore.
Gotta have the pepper spray & holster ($15ish) for the dog that attacked me twice & bit me once,
I now have my ergo-handlegrips ($8) to complement the strategically padded half-finger gloves ($25) for my ulnar nerve.
Also have a pair of "windshell" gloves ($30) for the colder days.
I bought a $35 pair of riding shoes (who can pass that up?). I like them actually, but...
I had to buy a $25 pair of studded pedals that would interface decently with them.
There are the road tires that I gladly swapped in for the knobbies and have had since last year - $50 and over 1000 miles on them.
I got a new bottle, as the original had a crack,
And then yes, there is the fat memory-foam seat ($24), on which I just end up using the front portion. I certainly don't want to pay what the bike-shop is gonna want. If I replace it, it'll have to be something available at Wal-mart. Prefer with a cutout.
And if a seat don't solve my problems, then I'll have to buy some more stuff to deal with that. And yes, that's what I came here asking about. But ya feel me?

This all started with just wanting to get on my bike & go and all I wanna do is simplify. What happened, man? I've got goals this year: Came from 125 (130 last year), 195ish now, wanna make 150ish by year's end.

Yep, sports can be expensive. Even casual running, it's $120 for good shoes, $30 for proper shorts, $20 for a utility belt thingy, etc...But then what does a gym cost? ~$30 a month? plus, if you drive there, you have to factor that in. Just remember, the more you ride, the better investment all the gear becomes, and most of it will last YEARS, so you pay it all upfront, with minor maintenance/replacement costs spread over time. Start bike commuting, and oh man, the savings really start to add up, even with all the gear purchases!
MattFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 09:33 AM   #23
MattFoley
Senior Member
 
MattFoley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWingman View Post
Well, it's a tough area to survey, but I've identified one very raw spot. Could very well be the seams of the jeans where they criss-cross (and when I say "jeans", I include the cutoffs I've made). At the very least, I'll see if my wife has a patch or something to smooth that over. Lots of options to look into here. "Scouting" will kinda have to wait until a day that I have the car.

I'm heavily leaning toward the Walmart seat... unless the bike shop can compete.
It looks like they also have a $20 line of bike shorts... or $30 for mountain bike (though I only ride on paved country roads), but they apparently aren't carried in stores and they just might lose the sale over that.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ventura-Sa...addle/19582647
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Cl...Large/16539946

That's a place to start

Irrelevant rant:
If you really want to go cheap (which I advise against, since you get what you pay for...but I get that financial considerations are an issue) Dicks Sporting Goods (or any other major sporting goods chain) has very low prices on shorts/jerseys/accessories. Their prices aren't much different than Walmart's, but they have much better stock/selection.
MattFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 09:44 AM   #24
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Posts: 4,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=RSWingman;15684892]Nope, definitely not thrilled about Lycra or Spandex in public. Gotta be something under the jeans.[/QUOTE]

That there is your problem! Get something that has some spandex in it if nothing else so that sweat is wicked away. Nothing worse and more chafing than a pair of wet, soggy jeans! As to cost, one of my favorite shells (i wear over regular cycling shorts) I bought from target for $15. It's just simply a short, has no pockets, that has a small percentage of spandex so it gives and wicks. Actually Target or Kohl's and especially JCP sells decent work out gear (including active wear tops), even in plus sizes. All very inexpensive but works beautifully. I have closet of very expensive cycling jerseys - I find myself wearing my JCP tops ($12!!!) most often. I think the men's tops are even cheaper!

Get out of those jeans man!
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 05-31-13 at 09:49 AM.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 09:49 AM   #25
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
Posts: 4,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWingman View Post
That dog is loco, man! Yellow Lab, passive as hell... unless something sets her off. My best guess is that it was the checkered flannel coat I was wearing on both cold days. And the worst part is that her owners don't know or want to believe that side of her. I've had animal control on it twice and they still let it roam free, unobserved.

I've read online, to tell the dog to "go home" and to keep your side to them so as not to be threatening or running... nothing about stopping though. Upon the second attack, I'd already been bitten once and she came fast. I told her in escalating tone (in what time I had) to "stay home/go home". She won't listen and she's a mace-case waiting to happen... right next to a county park, on a designated bike-path no less. It was all I could do, to kick her off of me as she kept trying to pace me for the bite and I thought she would never stop. THAT is when I bought the pepper spray... should have the first time.

I've actually avoided her when the confrontation was foreseeable, figuring the extra half-mile wasn't worth it. But last time, I went by and she was in her usual laying spot. But when I turned around & came back, she had wandered 100 yards from the edge of their driveway. I won't be cut-off from home. I was at DEFCON-5 with the mace... went right by her, she didn't move at me.

I rode for a couple years and never felt threatened by a dog neither. There's one that only wants to prance alongside me and I would always give a friendly hello. When the owner is around and wants to teach it to "stay" and don't chase, I don't interfere. But this Yellow Lab changed everything.

For no reason... THROUGH my jeans. And once bitten, you will never feel completely secure again.
Call a lawyer. That is a nasty bite. Many states have strict liability. Others have a "first bite free" rule. Either way, you have a case against the dog owner.
MRT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 AM.