Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58
  1. #1
    Senior Member Ursa Minor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara CA
    My Bikes
    rivendell romulus terratrike rover
    Posts
    556
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Don't you hate it when ... Part 2

    you are riding on the bike path and encounter people going the wrong way? The other day I was doing my usual 20 mile ride on the bike path and came to an especially tight turn with a blind corner only to be confronted with two young ladies jogging side by side going the wrong way and taking up the entire path. When I told them they were going the wrong way one of them in said in a very snotty manner "we're going the right way look it up". Well I did look it up and shes wrong. The DVM handbook clearly states that running or walking against the traffic direction is wrong and hazardous. Unfortunately there is an ocean of these wrong-wayers and they completely spoil the calm I usually get from riding.

    As with my earlier post I don't want to create drama but its so frustrating that I wanted some input from others on the forum.

    Charlie
    Grimly determined to have fun.

  2. #2
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Minor View Post
    you are riding on the bike path and encounter people going the wrong way? The other day I was doing my usual 20 mile ride on the bike path and came to an especially tight turn with a blind corner only to be confronted with two young ladies jogging side by side going the wrong way and taking up the entire path. When I told them they were going the wrong way one of them in said in a very snotty manner "we're going the right way look it up". Well I did look it up and shes wrong. The DVM handbook clearly states that running or walking against the traffic direction is wrong and hazardous. Unfortunately there is an ocean of these wrong-wayers and they completely spoil the calm I usually get from riding.

    As with my earlier post I don't want to create drama but its so frustrating that I wanted some input from others on the forum.

    Charlie
    One of many reasons why I rarely ride MUPs these days. I'd rather take my chances with the traffic than with pedestrians, iZombies children, dogs etc. At least the traffic moves in a predictable direction.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  3. #3
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,188
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First don't let it spoil your ride. After the encounter move on. It's going to happen again so let it slide right off you. I'm going to assume that the majority of people encountered either do it right or do everything they can to get out of the way. For our trails I realize that people are out there strolling about without much thought to structure (which side, etc). They left that behind at the office, home, road, etc. Naturally that doesn't make it right it just makes it the way it probably is. So.... don't let the minority of people get you don't for too long. Vent about it, find a puppy to kick, beat up an old lady, then continue the ride.

  4. #4
    Senior Member chandltp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Erie, PA
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others
    Posts
    1,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Minor View Post
    The DVM handbook clearly states that running or walking against the traffic direction is wrong and hazardous.
    You have a link for that? I thought in every stated pedestrians were supposed to walk against traffic.

    The first publication I looked at supported this (page 4):
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/curriculum/Unit%209.pdf

    However, I don't know if there are defined rules for bike paths, since they aren't considered a roadway.
    There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

  5. #5
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    13,985
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a blind corner, you shouldn't be going fast.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    5,084
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Minor View Post
    When I told them they were going the wrong way one of them in said in a very snotty manner "we're going the right way look it up". Well I did look it up and shes wrong. The DVM handbook clearly states that running or walking against the traffic direction is wrong and hazardous.
    Really? My reading of the California Vehicle Code would suggest that pedestrians are required to walk on the left side of the road unless it is unsafe to cross to that side. This interpretation seems to be pretty, darn, universal.

    Do you know what I really hate? Obnoxious jackasses who stop to offer their opinions when they should be minding their own business...

  7. #7
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,838
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    You have a link for that? I thought in every stated pedestrians were supposed to walk against traffic.

    The first publication I looked at supported this (page 4):
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/curriculum/Unit%209.pdf

    However, I don't know if there are defined rules for bike paths, since they aren't considered a roadway.
    On MUPs, as a pedestrian, I walk on the left side (in the US). I want to see the high speed objects coming towards me so I can react to them. As a bicycle, I find it much better when the pedestrians are on the left side as I find it very helpful when the people I am passing can see me.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member MattFoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Minor View Post
    they completely spoil the calm I usually get from riding.
    Nah, getting worked up about it is what spoils your calm. If you're riding an MUP with the goal of getting calm, you need to work on expectation management a little. MUPs are basically Thunderdome. If you want calm, ride some country roads.
    Last edited by MattFoley; 05-31-13 at 10:43 AM.
    Cars man, whyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

  9. #9
    Senior Member MattFoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sstorkel View Post
    Really? My reading of the California Vehicle Code would suggest that pedestrians are required to walk on the left side of the road unless it is unsafe to cross to that side. This interpretation seems to be pretty, darn, universal.

    Do you know what I really hate? Obnoxious jackasses who stop to offer their opinions when they should be minding their own business...
    Agree that peds need to walk facing traffic on the road (for instance, on the shoulder)...on MUPs, the standard is that peds ARE traffic, and so should stay to the right.
    Cars man, whyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

  10. #10
    Just Keep Pedaling Beachgrad05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    My Bikes
    99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 14 Bianchi Vigarelli
    Posts
    2,039
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattFoley View Post
    Agree that peds need to walk facing traffic on the road (for instance, on the shoulder)...on MUPs, the standard is that peds ARE traffic, and so should stay to the right.
    is this standard written or some unwritten law?
    Move along....nothing to see here....anymore.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ursa Minor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara CA
    My Bikes
    rivendell romulus terratrike rover
    Posts
    556
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jezz your right i just googled it and apparently they are supposed to walk that way. I remember reading several months ago that they weren't. O well
    I must change my attitude. Thanks for the heads up.
    Grimly determined to have fun.

  12. #12
    Senior Member MattFoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachgrad05 View Post
    is this standard written or some unwritten law?
    Well, MUPs generally aren't covered under laws in the same ways roadways are, so it's not the "law" per se. However, the "rules" posted on the MUPs in this area--and I'd assume most other areas as well--explicitly say that slower "traffic" should keep to the right. The Washington and Old Dominion trail, for instance, states: "When on the trail, please travel in the right lane only, and pass on the left." The Mount Vernon Trail, which is administered by the US Park Service, lists under "trail rules and etiquette" to: "stay to the right". So IMHO, Ursa Minor was correct in the situation with the joggers...they should've been on the right side of the trail.
    Last edited by MattFoley; 05-31-13 at 10:54 AM.
    Cars man, whyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    OH IO
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lady I've encountered recently who has taken it upon herself to police a stretch of a local MUP. I'm not sure what her sense of duty is, but she gave me an ear full the other day for not signalling when I passed a jogger who was wearing headphones. (for reference, I generally announce myself, and I'm not a particularly quick rider). I'm sure she thinks she's doing good, but I'm going to buzz the tower this afternoon if she's in her spot.

  14. #14
    Just Keep Pedaling Beachgrad05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    My Bikes
    99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 14 Bianchi Vigarelli
    Posts
    2,039
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to this link in Sacramento County on the MUPs they say pedis on left which means the are walking facing oncoming traffic just as DMV rules state.

    http://www.msa2.saccounty.net/parks/...gulations.aspx

    And it makes little sense to me that the rules of the road would differ on a MUP than it is on the road.especially when there are no signs posted (that I have seen anyway) and the fact doing a search the only item I found when searching was the above one that indicates rule is same not different. At least appears as such in California.
    Move along....nothing to see here....anymore.

  15. #15
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,188
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattFoley View Post
    Well, MUPs generally aren't covered under laws in the same ways roadways are, so it's not the "law" per se. However, the "rules" posted on the MUPs in this area--and I'd assume most other areas as well--explicitly say that slower "traffic" should keep to the right. The Washington and Old Dominion trail, for instance, states: "When on the trail, please travel in the right lane only, and pass on the left." The Mount Vernon Trail, which is administered by the US Park Service, lists under "trail rules and etiquette" to: "stay to the right". So IMHO, Ursa Minor was correct in the situation with the joggers...they should've been on the right side of the trail.
    Same thing around here.

    Which really goes to show that not everybody studies the laws and generally they do what makes sense to them if they are indeed thinking at all. When I encounter something like that I throw out a few "Sorry!" words and generally they do the same regardless of who is right or wrong and we move on.

  16. #16
    Senior Member MattFoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachgrad05 View Post
    According to this link in Sacramento County on the MUPs they say pedis on left

    http://www.msa2.saccounty.net/parks/...gulations.aspx
    Except that's not what it says...it says "Use the left shoulder when it is accessible to you." Nowhere does it say "walk on the left side of the path."

    Also note that it instructs cyclists to "
    Pass on the left." How can you "pass on the left" if pedestrians are on the left?

    Cars man, whyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

  17. #17
    Just Keep Pedaling Beachgrad05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    My Bikes
    99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 14 Bianchi Vigarelli
    Posts
    2,039
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't state true but nowhere can I find where it states walk to right. I have never seen signs to that effect on the MUP I frequently ride on. I take it things are different where you are. How would peds here KNOW to follow different rule than what is standard on roadways unless it is posted as such. If not posted I would guess rule is same as for roads. That makes sense to me.
    Move along....nothing to see here....anymore.

  18. #18
    Senior Member MattFoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachgrad05 View Post
    It doesn't state true but nowhere can I find where it states walk to right. I have never seen signs to that effect on the MUP I frequently ride on. I take it things are different where you are. How would peds here KNOW to follow different rule than what is standard on roadways unless it is posted as such. If not posted I would guess rule is same as for roads. That makes sense to me.
    Peds ARE traffic on an MUP and should act the same as if they were cars on the road. When you're walking down a hallway, do you walk on the left or right? Do you need signs to tell you?
    Cars man, whyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

  19. #19
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,838
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattFoley View Post
    Agree that peds need to walk facing traffic on the road (for instance, on the shoulder)...on MUPs, the standard is that peds ARE traffic, and so should stay to the right.
    I disagree with this. If it is a MUP, that means multi-use and as there is a large difference between bicycle and pedestrian speed, I think it's a gross oversimplification to say that the pedestrians are the traffic.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  20. #20
    Senior Member Ursa Minor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara CA
    My Bikes
    rivendell romulus terratrike rover
    Posts
    556
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys I apologize for my error. I can see that not only must I change my attitude but I must be extra polite to pedestrians to make up for my earlier rudeness.

    Charlie
    Grimly determined to have fun.

  21. #21
    Senior Member MattFoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post
    I disagree with this. If it is a MUP, that means multi-use and as there is a large difference between bicycle and pedestrian speed, I think it's a gross oversimplification to say that the pedestrians are the traffic.
    So by that logic, bikes should ride on the left side of the road because there is a large difference between bicycle and auto speed. And I'm sorry, but "stay right except to pass" is not an oversimplification....it's exactly how simple it should be and really is the underpinning of pretty much all our traffic behavior. I don't know how trying to make rules up as you go like "well, peds should stay on the left, even though bikes should pass on the left, but only sometimes when they feel safe and if it's a full moon..." is going to make anyone safer.
    Cars man, whyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

  22. #22
    Just Keep Pedaling Beachgrad05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    My Bikes
    99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 14 Bianchi Vigarelli
    Posts
    2,039
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattFoley View Post
    Peds ARE traffic on an MUP and should act the same as if they were cars on the road. When you're walking down a hallway, do you walk on the left or right? Do you need signs to tell you?
    Why so rude? I certainly was not being rude to you. I have been trying to find what the law states in California where I live and cannot find anything related to MUPS and where peds should be. Why insult me?

    Done with this thread
    Last edited by Beachgrad05; 05-31-13 at 11:31 AM.
    Move along....nothing to see here....anymore.

  23. #23
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,188
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody is the traffic. Without know what the specific rules are for the path you are on at that moment I stick with what most of them (in this area) are and that is traffic is to the right, pass on the left, faster yields to slower (bikes -> in-line skates -> Runners -> Walkers). Safety and common sense overrules all that and we all play along nicely.

    In this area there are a few trails that have different rules. One is "Pedestrians on the right, bikes on the left". For a two way trail. What? That's the rule though.

  24. #24
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachgrad05 View Post
    It doesn't state true but nowhere can I find where it states walk to right. I have never seen signs to that effect on the MUP I frequently ride on. I take it things are different where you are. How would peds here KNOW to follow different rule than what is standard on roadways unless it is posted as such. If not posted I would guess rule is same as for roads. That makes sense to me.

    The link you posted does say that walkers and jogger should be off the pavement using the left dirt shoulder to avoid accidents.

    I have looked up the bike Califronia path rules a few times and have found that rules state all traffic should travel with the flow of traffic and no one should interfere. I can't find the site right now and not going to invest too much time.

    But I did find this on the Santa Ana River Trail site. It says pretty much the same thing. Traffic stays right except to pass.

    http://www.santaanarivertrail.org/tr...etiquette.html



  25. #25
    Senior Member MattFoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachgrad05 View Post
    Why so rude? I certainly was not being rude to you. I have been trying to find what the law states in California where I live and cannot find anything related to MUPS and where peds should be. Why insult me?

    Done with this thread
    It was a rhetorical question...I wasn't insulting your intelligence. No, we don't need signs to tell us to stay to the right in a hallway, because we know that the hallway is like the road, and people walking in the hallway are like cars. An MUP is no different, so in the absence of signs, people should do what they naturally do (in the US, anyway) and walk to the right. The instances in which one is legally required to walk on the left are actually pretty rare, and are thus the exception to the norm of staying to the right.
    Cars man, whyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •