Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-13, 01:43 PM   #1
bbeasley 
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HoooRay........ 20 for 20!

I've had two long range goals since I started cycling 2.5 years ago.

1. Become "overweight". I started morbidly obese and have 5 more lbs to lose to get to overweight.

2. Ride 20 miles at 20 MPH with no help from wind, friend, or elevation. Today It happened, 23.26 miles at exactly 20.0 MPH. Garmin reports 800 feet of climbing. I didn't know I'd done it as I was focused on total time not average speed. It's a course I regularly ride and bested my previous PR by just under 6 minutes. I've recently lost 12 lbs and boy does that make a big difference. Next target 22 for 20
bbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 01:48 PM   #2
chefisaac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great job!!!

Keep it up!!!
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 07:05 PM   #3
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,026
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
You think the weight loss got you to 20 / 20?

I'm not quite there... the best I've done is about 18.9 for just over an hour (21 miles or so) so from the cheap seats I clap for you sir! well done.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 07:59 AM   #4
bbeasley 
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
You think the weight loss got you to 20 / 20?

I'm not quite there... the best I've done is about 18.9 for just over an hour (21 miles or so) so from the cheap seats I clap for you sir! well done.
I'm not sure, I ride for speed even more than weight loss. I'm always doing wind sprints, tempo miles, or endurance miles. It seems like it's taken forever but I guess that's just cycling. The importance of weight is undeniable, just read some of the top coaches talk about power to weight ratios and how important they are.
bbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 07:28 PM   #5
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi
 
Chitown_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats! I have another 20 to lose before I hit my goal weight, and I want to be able to ride in a sub 5 hour Century next year. And losing the weight makes all the difference in the saddle, I totally agree there.
Chitown_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 08:32 PM   #6
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,026
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike View Post
Congrats! I have another 20 to lose before I hit my goal weight, and I want to be able to ride in a sub 5 hour Century next year. And losing the weight makes all the difference in the saddle, I totally agree there.
I've been stuck at about 20 away for over a year now... I don't think power to weight matters at all on flat roads.

I can't even do 20 mph for one hour, much less 5.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 09:42 PM   #7
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi
 
Chitown_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I've been stuck at about 20 away for over a year now... I don't think power to weight matters at all on flat roads.

I can't even do 20 mph for one hour, much less 5.
Exactly why I said next year, gives that buffer for cheating of course.....but I haven't weighed this less in about 6 years almost, to lose the other 20 and I will be at high school wrestling weight.
Chitown_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 10:33 PM   #8
CommuteCommando
Senior Member
 
CommuteCommando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern CaliFORNIA.
Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Posts: 3,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great job. I just did 69.5. My target speed was 12.5, but came in at 10.5. At 4200' the climb was 1000' more than advertised, so it's not that disappointing. (still obese, but knocking on "overweight's" door) I have done 10 at 15 on my flat daily commute. Maybe in another 20 lbs I can do ten at 20.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 06:18 AM   #9
bbeasley 
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed one place where the weight, or actually size, does matter on flat ground. As the belly disappears I've been able to lower my handle bars. I've done this incrementally over 2.5 years, each time I lower them I pick up a bit of speed. I'm all the way down now and I can rest my forearms on the bars while still pedaling and breathing. It's a very efficient position on the flats and I pick up almost 1 MPH. About the same effect as my bolt on aero bars. I'm a bit wiggly getting in and out of this position so I never use it on group rides. At 5'7" and 195, I've got plenty of belly left to ditch so it may get even better as I lose more weight.
bbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 08:10 AM   #10
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats. The 20 mph deal is a huge one (no pun intended) to break through.

I'd agree to an extent that the weight isn't a factor as much as it's 'watch your dog run away for a week' flat at 34'/mile where you are at.
The weight loss does allow you to get into that somewhat better aero spot on the bike.

According to a power calculator on the interwebs it takes 240W to go 20 mph for a .7% grade.

http://bikecalculator.com/index.html

Take that calculator for what you paid for it. I found it to be off compared to my numbers I get from a Powertap hub which was within 1% of a computrainer.

20 mph with a 1% grade = 226W measured vs 267W calculated.

Or I short(!) ride I did on Saturday (TH knows this one) where the calculated wattage was 27W higher than reported by powertap

Given that I'd say that the calculator is about 10% -20% high. Just messing with the %grade figure can show how much a small bump in the elevation can impact the required wattage.


At any rate, 20 mph for an hour is an achievement not to be taken lightly. I sit beside TH in the cheap seats with my paltry FTP and 2.FAT W/Kg and give you a golf applause...
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 08:34 AM   #11
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBOHUNT View Post
http://bikecalculator.com/index.html

Take that calculator for what you paid for it. I found it to be off compared to my numbers I get from a Powertap hub which was within 1% of a computrainer.

20 mph with a 1% grade = 226W measured vs 267W calculated.

Or I short(!) ride I did on Saturday (TH knows this one) where the calculated wattage was 27W higher than reported by powertap

Given that I'd say that the calculator is about 10% -20% high. Just messing with the %grade figure can show how much a small bump in the elevation can impact the required wattage.

Yeah, but that might cut both ways. By which I mean, are you sure that what you measured with the powertap was a 1% grade? And if so, how? I can't think of anywhere that offers a consistent 1% grade for any length of time, so even if the average grade is 1% one would have to understand how the gradient varied, how much time one spent at each different slope, what impact any periods coasting downhill had on average power etc. Or am I missing the point?
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 08:45 AM   #12
Jarrett2
Senior Member
 
Jarrett2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Bikes: Steel Roadies
Posts: 3,208
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Congrats man. I was fired up to get over 10 MPH average speed today. I'd love to find a flat track in my area so I could see how far/fast I could go without fighting hills.
Jarrett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 09:15 AM   #13
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
Yeah, but that might cut both ways. By which I mean, are you sure that what you measured with the powertap was a 1% grade? And if so, how? I can't think of anywhere that offers a consistent 1% grade for any length of time, so even if the average grade is 1% one would have to understand how the gradient varied, how much time one spent at each different slope, what impact any periods coasting downhill had on average power etc. Or am I missing the point?

The grade was 'measured' with a Garmin using elevation gain versus mileage. I'm not sure what the maximum grade is on that ride in the first example but there are several that avg 4% over a mile sections.

In the second example the elevation gain was 97' as measured by Garmin or 52' by ride with GPS on an out and back 4 mile TT ride with the only "coasting" that was done was at the turn around portion. I'm sure that the tailwind/headwind had some affect as well.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1369049

So in the second example the difference between what is calculated versus what's reported by the PT seems quite high. And no, I won't be disclosing my paltry FTP wattage. #embarrassed

The only point I'm trying to make is that grade has a lot to do with being able to do 20 mph

Mayhaps we could revisit the Axiom thread of sprinting at 30 mph for 3 miles eh?
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 09:46 AM   #14
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, I'm not doubting you, or your PT. All I'm saying is that theoretical calculations are unlikely to be repeatable under real-world conditions because real-world conditions are rarely linear.

Grade does, as you say, have a lot to do with being able to do 20mph. If my racing competitors were considerate enough to ride on flat terrain at constant speeds, I could sit in quite happily and pretend to myself that I was fast. Unfortunately they insist on riding up grades and accelerating from time to time.

OP, don't let this debate hijack your thread or your sense of accomplishment. However flat and windless it is, most people can't sustain 20mph for a full hour.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 09:51 AM   #15
SeanBlader
Senior Member
 
SeanBlader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Campbell, CA 95008
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Di2
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeasley View Post
I've had two long range goals since I started cycling 2.5 years ago.

1. Become "overweight". I started morbidly obese and have 5 more lbs to lose to get to overweight.

2. Ride 20 miles at 20 MPH with no help from wind, friend, or elevation. Today It happened, 23.26 miles at exactly 20.0 MPH.
WTF!? Really?! I'm not sure I want to believe that! It's amazing! I started off barely a clyde at 205, and have been sitting at 180ish most of the winter, and my ride into the office I'm happy if I make the 13 miles in under 50 minutes. Today I did it 49:38 but that's probably because I got to all four traffic lights at a good time so I didn't stop, which averaged out to right at 16mph.

Since you're reporting yourself as heavier than overweight, I'd say that you're much better than me in the cardiovascular area. I just feel like I have a hard time converting enough oxygen to keep up that kind of pace for any significant distance.

I would love to hear your training secret so that I could go fast too. Love me some speed too.
SeanBlader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 10:06 AM   #16
CommuteCommando
Senior Member
 
CommuteCommando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern CaliFORNIA.
Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Posts: 3,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I've been stuck at about 20 away for over a year now... I don't think power to weight matters at all on flat roads.

I can't even do 20 mph for one hour, much less 5.
I feel your pain. I just broke 220 after being stuck @~222 for six months. I disagree that weight doesn't matter on the flats. True, it is a bigger deal on hills, but rolling resistance of the tires is also a function of weight. I came to this realization doing yard work where I had to push a wheelbarrow around loaded and empty. The difference is very noticeable.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 10:29 AM   #17
bbeasley 
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
WTF!? Really?! I'm not sure I want to believe that! It's amazing! I started off barely a clyde at 205, and have been sitting at 180ish most of the winter, and my ride into the office I'm happy if I make the 13 miles in under 50 minutes. Today I did it 49:38 but that's probably because I got to all four traffic lights at a good time so I didn't stop, which averaged out to right at 16mph.

Since you're reporting yourself as heavier than overweight, I'd say that you're much better than me in the cardiovascular area. I just feel like I have a hard time converting enough oxygen to keep up that kind of pace for any significant distance.

I would love to hear your training secret so that I could go fast too. Love me some speed too.
Sean,

How long have you been riding? I've been at it for ~2.5 years and have worked very hard the entire time. I'm 55 y/o and had 2 heart attacks in my 40s. Here is a result page from the 2012 Cajun Man Triathlon. Scroll down to the Male 55 - 59 age group and I'm 3rd from last, my name is Bob Beasley. A little data never hurts anybody You'll see I did the 20 + miles bike leg at 18.7 MPH this is after a 1/2 mile swim and I had to keep my heart rate under control for the subsequent 5K run. I was 20 lbs heavier at the time.

While 20 for 20 is a major accomplishment for me, I assure you it's very attainable. There are many Clydes here who can do that and much more. One in particular, a very big fast guy was my inspiration to shoot for it. He's very humble but he might chime in here to offer motivation.

If you saw me at a Triathlon (I've done three) or bike race (I've done one) I'd be the guy voted least likely to succeed. I'm old, fat, and gray haired. As far as training, I do brutal wind sprints weekly and consistently ride with groups that are faster than my current ability. I've bonked twice, the real bonk not just oh I feel bad. Both times I passed out and lost 10 - 30 minutes of memory. I've puked three times, once attempting an all out high speed attempt and twice during competitive events. Not trying to toot my horn here, just pointing out how bad I've wanted this. I never thought 20 for 20 let alone completing a Triathlon was in my realm of possibilities. I've got BF to thank for the mental reset.

Ride for fitness
Eat for weight loss
Sleep for strength,

Bob
bbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 10:50 AM   #18
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeasley View Post
Sean,

How long have you been riding? I've been at it for ~2.5 years and have worked very hard the entire time. I'm 55 y/o and had 2 heart attacks in my 40s. Here is a result page from the 2012 Cajun Man Triathlon. Scroll down to the Male 55 - 59 age group and I'm 3rd from last, my name is Bob Beasley. A little data never hurts anybody You'll see I did the 20 + miles bike leg at 18.7 MPH this is after a 1/2 mile swim and I had to keep my heart rate under control for the subsequent 5K run. I was 20 lbs heavier at the time.

While 20 for 20 is a major accomplishment for me, I assure you it's very attainable. There are many Clydes here who can do that and much more. One in particular, a very big fast guy was my inspiration to shoot for it. He's very humble but he might chime in here to offer motivation.

If you saw me at a Triathlon (I've done three) or bike race (I've done one) I'd be the guy voted least likely to succeed. I'm old, fat, and gray haired. As far as training, I do brutal wind sprints weekly and consistently ride with groups that are faster than my current ability. I've bonked twice, the real bonk not just oh I feel bad. Both times I passed out and lost 10 - 30 minutes of memory. I've puked three times, once attempting an all out high speed attempt and twice during competitive events. Not trying to toot my horn here, just pointing out how bad I've wanted this. I never thought 20 for 20 let alone completing a Triathlon was in my realm of possibilities. I've got BF to thank for the mental reset.

Ride for fitness
Eat for weight loss
Sleep for strength,

Bob
I resemble...

or bike race ... I'd be the guy voted least likely to succeed.
I'm old, fat, and gray haired.
I've puked - last Saturday and it was after only 8 miles

Again - major congrats on the accomplishment. I know for me it was a mental hurdle and once I accomplished that goal it opened up yet another can or two of worms...

Keep after it. 21 mph will come soon enough.
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 10:51 AM   #19
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
Hey, I'm not doubting you, or your PT. All I'm saying is that theoretical calculations are unlikely to be repeatable under real-world conditions because real-world conditions are rarely linear.

Grade does, as you say, have a lot to do with being able to do 20mph. If my racing competitors were considerate enough to ride on flat terrain at constant speeds, I could sit in quite happily and pretend to myself that I was fast. Unfortunately they insist on riding up grades and accelerating from time to time.

OP, don't let this debate hijack your thread or your sense of accomplishment. However flat and windless it is, most people can't sustain 20mph for a full hour.
Agree. It's tough and Bob can be very proud.
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 11:11 AM   #20
jdfriesen
Senior Member
 
jdfriesen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Bikes: 2012 Ridley Excalibur
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeasley View Post
I've had two long range goals since I started cycling 2.5 years ago.

1. Become "overweight". I started morbidly obese and have 5 more lbs to lose to get to overweight.

2. Ride 20 miles at 20 MPH with no help from wind, friend, or elevation. Today It happened, 23.26 miles at exactly 20.0 MPH. Garmin reports 800 feet of climbing. I didn't know I'd done it as I was focused on total time not average speed. It's a course I regularly ride and bested my previous PR by just under 6 minutes. I've recently lost 12 lbs and boy does that make a big difference. Next target 22 for 20
Awesome achievement! I just started riding a month ago, and have a similar goal of being able to ride 20MPH (although for me it's 32km/h, I'm in Canada!). The distance I want to originally hit it over is a fair bit shorter though. My commute is 14.5km (9 miles) each way, and that's my first goal, to average 32km/h over that distance. I'm at 28km/h right now, but I fully realize it's a LOT more effort to get those increases. I'm sure dropping weight will help too, as I've got about 105m (~345') of climbing each way. I've pretty much stayed at around 240 lbs. since I started, but my pants are a bit looser, so presumably I'm just adding a bit of muscle while dropping weight. I'm 6'3", so my first goal is to get under 200 lbs.

I haven't started any interval training, or really anything other than butt in the saddle time at this point. I figure just getting the miles in is the most important thing for a newbie. I do plan to do more intentional training once I've got more of a base in place though, can't wait!

Again, congratulations on hitting your goal!

John
jdfriesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 11:17 AM   #21
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,026
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
I feel your pain. I just broke 220 after being stuck @~222 for six months. I disagree that weight doesn't matter on the flats. True, it is a bigger deal on hills, but rolling resistance of the tires is also a function of weight. I came to this realization doing yard work where I had to push a wheelbarrow around loaded and empty. The difference is very noticeable.
You're not really rolling along steady state with a wheelbarrow though. I agree it takes a lot more to get that thing moving but once you're going, assuming it's flat, it's not a huge difference. Every single time you come to any kind of incline though... physics is against you/me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
WTF!? Really?! I'm not sure I want to believe that! It's amazing! I started off barely a clyde at 205, and have been sitting at 180ish most of the winter, and my ride into the office I'm happy if I make the 13 miles in under 50 minutes. Today I did it 49:38 but that's probably because I got to all four traffic lights at a good time so I didn't stop, which averaged out to right at 16mph.

Since you're reporting yourself as heavier than overweight, I'd say that you're much better than me in the cardiovascular area. I just feel like I have a hard time converting enough oxygen to keep up that kind of pace for any significant distance.

I would love to hear your training secret so that I could go fast too. Love me some speed too.
I think he did above- work your tail off and results will come. Having said that, 16 mph in traffic with lights and frequent stops really is pretty good. Find yourself an uninterrupted & flat 20 mile stretch and you could probably average 18 on it right now.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:30 AM.