Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-13, 06:43 PM   #26
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
Turtles frequently empty their bladder when you pick them up. It generally it is best to just leave the turtles alone. But since so many are killed by cars it is good to help them cross busy roads. Be sure to move them in the direction they are traveling, just to the edge of the road.
Thank you for the info!
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 09:58 PM   #27
jimmyj726
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Panama City, FL
Bikes: 97 Schwinn Moab; 15 Surly Disc Trucker
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Great read Chefisaac. I certainly can relate to the heat and humidity you endured. Sweat pouring into my eyes is my greatest obstacle I have to overcome while biking (besides building distance and endurance ). I look forward to touring someday. Articles like yours inspires me.
jimmyj726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 11:13 PM   #28
jeepseahawk
[IMG]http://i4.photobucke
 
jeepseahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome write-up, touring is next on bucket list, have pretty much everything except the time.
jeepseahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 02:08 AM   #29
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj726 View Post
Great read Chefisaac. I certainly can relate to the heat and humidity you endured. Sweat pouring into my eyes is my greatest obstacle I have to overcome while biking (besides building distance and endurance ). I look forward to touring someday. Articles like yours inspires me.
Thank you for your kind words. If you need any help. please feel free to reach out.
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 02:09 AM   #30
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepseahawk View Post
Awesome write-up, touring is next on bucket list, have pretty much everything except the time.
Its a blast. Even to just get away for a night or two. Peaceful.
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 04:51 AM   #31
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 10,557
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
Always looking at the negative.

Thats why they call it stealth camping. Dont think for a second, Dave, that I didnt do my homework. I had four places planned and also a camp site I could have gone to. This trip was pretty wrapped up. Thanks for reading though
It won't be so positive when you are in jail. As you describe, two people rode past you well-researched "stealth site," so it wasn't so stealth. All it would have taken is for one of them to mention it to a parent who then calls the Cape May police. Or maybe some kids could have come to the dug out to make out and saw you washing your junk. In this day and age, kids are taught to report stuff like that.

Cape May goes to great lengths to preserve its image as an exclusive town that doesn't put up with law breakers, and the summer rent-a-cops can be very aggressive. What you did where you did it was not a smart thing, whether you want to believe that or not.
indyfabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 05:28 AM   #32
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 10,557
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
I think stealth camping in urban areas has to be somewhat risky. I suppose the touring forum discusses the issue. Does it end up like helmet threads?

The discussion of stealth camping in the abstract often does, but my comment was focussed on the specific decisions made in this case. It's one thing to pull off the road into the Jersey Pine Barrens away from development and pitch a tent. It's another to "stealth" camp (two people rode right through his site) on public property in an exclusive jersey shore community where people pay millions of dollars for homes. (My GF's dad has a house up the cost a bit in Avalon. It's old, somewhat dowdy and nowhere near the beach. He could easily get over $1 million for it. People pay millions just for the land as when older properties are sold, the houses are often usually torn down and replaced.) And then to bathe in a ball field dugout? Come on. How many kids go to dugouts to hang out and smoke cigarettes or make out? I have seen that very thing on tour. Whether he can comprehend it or not, in this particular case, he took a huge risk to save $40-$50.

My comment has nothing to do with being negative and everything to do with understanding your surroundings and making smart decisions. Let's hope he's not too stubborn to learn something, even if he won't admit it.
indyfabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 07:14 AM   #33
Cyril 
Senior Member
 
Cyril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southwestern, Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
Good report. I got hot and tired just reading it.

I think stealth camping in urban areas has to be somewhat risky. I suppose the touring forum discusses the issue. Does it end up like helmet threads?
Yes
Cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 01:54 PM   #34
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
It won't be so positive when you are in jail. As you describe, two people rode past you well-researched "stealth site," so it wasn't so stealth. All it would have taken is for one of them to mention it to a parent who then calls the Cape May police. Or maybe some kids could have come to the dug out to make out and saw you washing your junk. In this day and age, kids are taught to report stuff like that.

Cape May goes to great lengths to preserve its image as an exclusive town that doesn't put up with law breakers, and the summer rent-a-cops can be very aggressive. What you did where you did it was not a smart thing, whether you want to believe that or not.
Depends on how you define smart.

Perhaps your can recommend a lawyer.

I hear what you are saying Dave. Thanks for the input.
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 01:57 PM   #35
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
The discussion of stealth camping in the abstract often does, but my comment was focussed on the specific decisions made in this case. It's one thing to pull off the road into the Jersey Pine Barrens away from development and pitch a tent. It's another to "stealth" camp (two people rode right through his site) on public property in an exclusive jersey shore community where people pay millions of dollars for homes. (My GF's dad has a house up the cost a bit in Avalon. It's old, somewhat dowdy and nowhere near the beach. He could easily get over $1 million for it. People pay millions just for the land as when older properties are sold, the houses are often usually torn down and replaced.) And then to bathe in a ball field dugout? Come on. How many kids go to dugouts to hang out and smoke cigarettes or make out? I have seen that very thing on tour. Whether he can comprehend it or not, in this particular case, he took a huge risk to save $40-$50.

My comment has nothing to do with being negative and everything to do with understanding your surroundings and making smart decisions. Let's hope he's not too stubborn to learn something, even if he won't admit it.
Life is all about risk Dave. As you know, through your reading, many people have done riskier stuff with stealth camping. Was it right? Depends. Was it risky? Sure. It is what it is. I can pay for a camp site and get crappy sleep with both neighbors making so much noise, drinking, etc or I can have a peaceful night elsewhere. Do I admit I could have picked a better place? Yes. Will I next time? Yes. Same place I bet just further back. My mistake. I think, if I am not mistaken Dave, we learn from our mistakes.
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 07:23 PM   #36
CandSAdventures
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Texas
Bikes: Fuji Robaix, Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Enjoyed the write up! Sounds like fun. Heat/Wind/Salty Skin are everyday occurrences when riding in Texas. That said, it sounds like fun to me! The fruit stands made me smile.....I can just smell the peaches and taste the watermelon. I want to give it a try!
CandSAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 10:07 PM   #37
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandSAdventures View Post
Enjoyed the write up! Sounds like fun. Heat/Wind/Salty Skin are everyday occurrences when riding in Texas. That said, it sounds like fun to me! The fruit stands made me smile.....I can just smell the peaches and taste the watermelon. I want to give it a try!
The peach smell are killer!!!! Roped me in from a mile away and they fact that they were actually ripe was a treat.
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 09:19 AM   #38
Phillyfan
Member
 
Phillyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great job. South Jersey is my old stomping ground
Phillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 10:22 AM   #39
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice
 
vesteroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 1,608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read the entire thing. You and I discussed camping gear a while back.

Thoughts in random order.

you picked a tough time to do your first trip, hot as heck, crowded, humid, holiday weekend, lots of drunks etc.

you now know time when on tour or hiking is different, its not like riding from home when when you are done, you simply come inside and shower.

Seems as though you mostly ate out, so I question why you carried food and a stove at all, as it appeared you could have eaten out exclusively.

You dont have any issue paying for a 3K bike and camping set up, but wont pay 30 bucks to stay in a campground....that would have eliminated all the wandering around waiting for x and y to happen and would have provided showers.

Take ear plugs camping, I always even in the wilderness have them.

I see all the bags on the bike, and have to believe, have to, that you carried way too much stuff. I just cant imagine what all you needed for four days on the road that could have filled all those bags.

I honestly believe in those temps and with food and water readily available, you could have had half that amount of gear.

great job on your first adventure, use it as a learning tool, and trim your gear down next time.

and Indy, most days your spot on with your comments, but these have been less than constructive.
vesteroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 11:49 AM   #40
RWBlue01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very nice.
RWBlue01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 12:16 PM   #41
Cyril 
Senior Member
 
Cyril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southwestern, Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Two reasons I don't bother checking in on the touring forums: stealth camping morality and weight weenieism.

Chef...it looks like you had a fantastic time. Don't change a thing for next time. Unless you want to...
Cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 05:45 PM   #42
tomg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: south jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 1,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Isaac
I am glad you had a great experience on Tour #1 ! Also enjoyed reading your blog!!
I led club ride of 35 miles today with a cool end @ Maurice River , The LHT is back on the road prepping for Fall-2013 Tour.
See you at the Zoo or Jersey Devil rides?
tomg

Last edited by tomg; 07-14-13 at 05:50 PM.
tomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 05:55 PM   #43
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomg View Post
Isaac
I am glad you had a great experience on Tour #1 ! Also enjoyed reading your blog!!
I led club ride of 35 miles today with a cool end @ Maurice River , The LHT is back on the road prepping for Fall-2013 Tour.
See you at the Zoo or Jersey Devil rides?
tomg
Tom,

Could have used that nice end at the river today. Are you all just changing or just swimming in your bike clothes?

You were a wonderful host Tom. I appreciate everything you and Tammy did. Thank you!!!!

I hope to see you soon. Traveling for work for 2.5 weeks
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 05:56 PM   #44
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
Two reasons I don't bother checking in on the touring forums: stealth camping morality and weight weenieism.

Chef...it looks like you had a fantastic time. Don't change a thing for next time. Unless you want to...
Thanks man!
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 06:04 PM   #45
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
I read the entire thing. You and I discussed camping gear a while back.

Thoughts in random order.

you picked a tough time to do your first trip, hot as heck, crowded, humid, holiday weekend, lots of drunks etc.

you now know time when on tour or hiking is different, its not like riding from home when when you are done, you simply come inside and shower.

Seems as though you mostly ate out, so I question why you carried food and a stove at all, as it appeared you could have eaten out exclusively.

You dont have any issue paying for a 3K bike and camping set up, but wont pay 30 bucks to stay in a campground....that would have eliminated all the wandering around waiting for x and y to happen and would have provided showers.

Take ear plugs camping, I always even in the wilderness have them.

I see all the bags on the bike, and have to believe, have to, that you carried way too much stuff. I just cant imagine what all you needed for four days on the road that could have filled all those bags.

I honestly believe in those temps and with food and water readily available, you could have had half that amount of gear.

great job on your first adventure, use it as a learning tool, and trim your gear down next time.

and Indy, most days your spot on with your comments, but these have been less than constructive.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you review the packing list sometime?

I know the time of the year was not the best but it was when I had off from work and needed/wanted to make it work. I actually didnt encounter any drunks but I was not out late at night riding after dark per say.

This trip was funny because on the last two trips, I cooked 2 of 3 of the meals daily. I thought this time would be the same but nope, only cooked a few meals.
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:50 AM.