Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    LET'S RIDE!! IndianaRecRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    My Bikes
    2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4
    Posts
    689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    700x40 vs. 700x32

    I know this should probably go in the Bike Mechanics forum (or the Hybrid forum), but I'm a Clyde and I wanted to give my friends here first shot at this.

    My primary bike is a 2012 Diamondback Edgewood. It's a great bike and I guess the only thing I'd change is the frame size. It's just a weeeeee bit too big for me, but that's not what I'm posting about.

    The bike came with Kenda 700x40 Komfort tires (see HERE for description). They're not bad tires, but I'd like to get something with a little less tread. Was looking at Performance Bike's online ad earlier and saw THESE.

    They look just like what I'm looking for, but the size is 700x32. Would that size fit / work okay with my bike? I'll admit that when it comes to tires (except for fixing a flat), I'm completely clueless, especially sizing.

    And help, tips and/or advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Last edited by IndianaRecRider; 07-17-13 at 05:07 PM.
    Never too soon to start training for the 2015 Chicagoland Tour de Cure... http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/Tou...al&fr_id=10179


  2. #2
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike shouldn't care. No clearance issues since you're going narrower, and you're not changing wheel diameter so your brake positions should be fine. The only question would be if the existing rims are a compatible width. The people at Performance should be able to tell you if you give them some info about the rims.
    Craig in Indy

  3. #3
    Senior Member c_m_shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paradise, TX
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check, Redline Monocog 29er, Generic Track bike, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker
    Posts
    1,524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be fine. There are only about 3 models of 700c rim that are too wide for a 32mm tire, they are very difficult to find and don't come stock on any bikes except for the Surly Krampus.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.
    May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey

  4. #4
    LET'S RIDE!! IndianaRecRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    My Bikes
    2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4
    Posts
    689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    The bike shouldn't care. No clearance issues since you're going narrower, and you're not changing wheel diameter so your brake positions should be fine. The only question would be if the existing rims are a compatible width. The people at Performance should be able to tell you if you give them some info about the rims.
    The following is all Greek to me, but according to the Diamondback website, the rims are...."32h SSW700 Double Tunnel Alloy." I'll take this info along when I go to Performance in case they need it. Thanks for the input Craig, I appreciate it.



    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
    It'll be fine. There are only about 3 models of 700c rim that are too wide for a 32mm tire, they are very difficult to find and don't come stock on any bikes except for the Surly Krampus.
    Well, that is encouraging information. Thanks, I appreciate the info.

    Never too soon to start training for the 2015 Chicagoland Tour de Cure... http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/Tou...al&fr_id=10179


  5. #5
    Senior Member moochems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a set of michelin pilot sport 700x35 on my ride. They were not puncture resistant enough for me, and I replaced them within 100 miles. They were fast though, but were not as comfortable as I had hoped given their size.

    I know the city is different than the sport tires, but they both boast protek technology if I'm not mistaken. I also put Michelin prtoek max a3 self sealing tubes in, and would like to caution those to anyone. Yeah, the tube did seal the first puncture, but on a later ride the same spot failed under normal use. Those tubes are not meant for patches, and the self sealing is not reliable enough for use, only reliable enough to get you home (if that) not to be regularly ridden if punctured.


    Anyone interested in my nearly unused set of Michelin pilot sports in 700x35 may feel free to pm me about buying them. Maybe you want to try that particular tire, but don't want to Pay full price. Truthfully I wouldn't recommend them for anyone who needs puncture protection.

  6. #6
    Senior Member JerrySTL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Near St. Louis, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy Advanced, Windsor Tourist
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will probably fit OK; however something in a 700x35 might work better. At around the same price, Performance has Vittoria Randonneur Cross Tire tires on sale in 700x35. They look pretty smooth compared to the Kendas. Look for item Item #50-7430 .

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NJ cellphone central
    My Bikes
    Surly Ogre // (old and gone) Cannondale ST400, Rockhopper Sport
    Posts
    468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a point, the 40 vs 32 is the width and also the height is part of it too. The 32's will be narrower and likely a bit shorter and likely make the bike feel nimbler and a bit harsher riding compared to the 40's. Shouldn't be too drastic though. They should fit fine with that bike's rims.

  8. #8
    Lover of Old Chrome Moly Myosmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,544
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    32mm will be just fine on pretty much any rim/bike that will take a 40mm. You may notice a slight improvement in weight and rolling resistance (more due to the tread than the size) and slightly more road vibration. You may want to run your pressures a bit higher than you did with your 40s, but the ride should still be quite comfortable. Another tire you should look at is the Schwalbe Smart Sam. I have them on my multi-surface trail bike and really like them on pavement, gravel, and any relatively packed surface. They don't have what it takes for deep sand or mud though.
    Lead, follow or get out of the way

  9. #9
    LET'S RIDE!! IndianaRecRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    My Bikes
    2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4
    Posts
    689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I decided to go with the Forte Metro-K (Forte Metro-K) 700x35c tires. I've only done one ride on them so far, but they seem like like nice tires. Pretty much just as smooth as as my 700x40c Komfort tires. Don't know about any speed increase due to lower rolling resistance because I ws just riding around the neighborhood to get a feel for them, so I wasn't tracking the ride in any way.

    Probably do a good ride in the morning. That should give me an idea if there's any speed increase and/or how comfortable/uncomfortable my rides will now be with these new tires.

    Never too soon to start training for the 2015 Chicagoland Tour de Cure... http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/Tou...al&fr_id=10179


  10. #10
    LET'S RIDE!! IndianaRecRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    My Bikes
    2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4
    Posts
    689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider View Post
    Well, I decided to go with the Forte Metro-K (Forte Metro-K) 700x35c tires. I've only done one ride on them so far, but they seem like like nice tires. Pretty much just as smooth as as my 700x40c Komfort tires. Don't know about any speed increase due to lower rolling resistance because I ws just riding around the neighborhood to get a feel for them, so I wasn't tracking the ride in any way.

    Probably do a good ride in the morning. That should give me an idea if there's any speed increase and/or how comfortable/uncomfortable my rides will now be with these new tires.

    Well, I don't think these tires are making me any faster, but my ride is definitely more quiet. I'm really glad I went with these tires. I should have gone and got me another set yesterday while Performance had their 20% off of everything but bikes sale going on. Oh well, I'm sure they will be on sale again at some future time.

    Never too soon to start training for the 2015 Chicagoland Tour de Cure... http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/Tou...al&fr_id=10179


  11. #11
    Senior Member Hairy Hands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Magnolia, Texas
    My Bikes
    Colnago C50, Specialized TriCross Carbon
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your looking for faster rolling tires the width is not the issue, its more to do with the sidewall casing and tread compound the manufacturer chooses. Vittoria Rando Hypers are one of the faster rolling tires in a 35mm, but the fastest I've found is the Grand Bois Extra Léger Tires in 32mm. These are in clincher not tubular and of course tread or no tread does not affect rolling resistance unless its a cross type tire.

    Depending on how big a Clyde you are will determine how wide a tire you need. You can probably ride a 23 pumped up to 200psi but the wider 42mm tire will be much more comfortable at 35 psi. And again width vs a fast tire are different issues. One is for comfort and one is for speed. You need to find a good comprise between the two.
    ~John~

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,531
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider View Post
    I know this should probably go in the Bike Mechanics forum (or the Hybrid forum), but I'm a Clyde and I wanted to give my friends here first shot at this. My primary bike is a 2012 Diamondback Edgewood. It's a great bike and I guess the only thing I'd change is the frame size. It's just a weeeeee bit too big for me, but that's not what I'm posting about. The bike came with Kenda 700x40 Komfort tires (see HERE for description). They're not bad tires, but I'd like to get something with a little less tread. Was looking at Performance Bike's online ad earlier and saw THESE. They look just like what I'm looking for, but the size is 700x32. Would that size fit / work okay with my bike? I'll admit that when it comes to tires (except for fixing a flat), I'm completely clueless, especially sizing.

    And help, tips and/or advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    On same site, try the 700C x 35's. Here are two, both of which look right for your needs:

    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...5343%2C1069778

    /k

  13. #13
    Senior Member corwin1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    930
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairy Hands View Post
    If your looking for faster rolling tires the width is not the issue, its more to do with the sidewall casing and tread compound the manufacturer chooses. Vittoria Rando Hypers are one of the faster rolling tires in a 35mm, but the fastest I've found is the Grand Bois Extra Léger Tires in 32mm. These are in clincher not tubular and of course tread or no tread does not affect rolling resistance unless its a cross type tire.

    Depending on how big a Clyde you are will determine how wide a tire you need. You can probably ride a 23 pumped up to 200psi but the wider 42mm tire will be much more comfortable at 35 psi. And again width vs a fast tire are different issues. One is for comfort and one is for speed. You need to find a good comprise between the two.
    I weigh 400 lbs and I alternate between 32mm Vittoria Randonneur Hypers (Now have a different name...Voyager?) and 40mm Schwalbe Duremes. I run the Vittorias at the full rated pressure of 90psi and the Duremes at 65/70 (front/back) where the max is 80psi. The Duremes are far more cushy and comfortable but the Hypers are way faster and sportier. If you are wanting a faster, sportier tire with less tread then I highly recommend the Vittorias. They come in 32mm, 35mm and 38mm sizes so there are options.
    Currently riding a 1983 Takara Highlander converted to a single-speed.

  14. #14
    just pedal donalson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kemah, TX (greater Houston area)
    My Bikes
    Surly Disc Trucker, Klein stage comp, trek 560
    Posts
    902
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from 38c kenda kross tires to some 32c panaracer pasela's and I LOVE them... i'm still playing with pressure but they seem to be a much faster tire and at $40 for the set they are a great deal... we'll see how longevity is but so far the only flats I've had are because of my stupidity and letting the rim tape slip... so no punctures
    mtbr clyd moderator

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Quick CX4
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed from 700x35 Kenda Happy Medium's my bike came with to 700x32 Schwalbe Marathon Supreme's. I am very happy with the performance/speed increase and ride quality did not change really at all. I am 320 lbs and run the Marathon's at 85psi (95 max).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •