Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-13, 10:42 PM   #26
jsigone
got the climbing bug
Thread Starter
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: one for everything
Posts: 8,486
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I have an older Garmin HRM1G that came w/ my forerunner 305. I changed to battery out last xmas time frame. I do think it's working, the club ride we had on the 4th of july was hard and was in the upper 170s a number of times on each climb trying to keep up and/or limit how much I get dropped.

I do have the autopause set up at 2.5mph or slower. But on the main climb, I stopped once at the bottom to roll up my soaked windbreaker and pocket it. Strava is my stop watch, it even counts both moving and non moving time.
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 11:15 PM   #27
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,246
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
How long do the batteries last? I'm tempted to just switch mine out - it's been a year and a half and 5,000 miles or so.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 11:30 PM   #28
jsigone
got the climbing bug
Thread Starter
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: one for everything
Posts: 8,486
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I ran it for 3 yrs before replacing it. It still had juice but I had an extra 2032 laying around so why not.
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 11:58 PM   #29
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
I have an older Garmin HRM1G that came w/ my forerunner 305. I changed to battery out last xmas time frame. I do think it's working, the club ride we had on the 4th of july was hard and was in the upper 170s a number of times on each climb trying to keep up and/or limit how much I get dropped.

I do have the autopause set up at 2.5mph or slower. But on the main climb, I stopped once at the bottom to roll up my soaked windbreaker and pocket it. Strava is my stop watch, it even counts both moving and non moving time.
It was just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
How long do the batteries last? I'm tempted to just switch mine out - it's been a year and a half and 5,000 miles or so.
I've managed to kill 2 premium straps in 20 months and only 10,500 km. I replaced the batteries a couple of times trying to figure out if they (the batteries) were to blame. They weren't.

Not sure what I've been doing wrong. First one I washed religiously. When it failed in less than a year I figured that perhaps I was washing it too much, so, I only occassionally rinsed the second one with pretty much similliar results.
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 01:33 AM   #30
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
I've managed to kill 2 premium straps in 20 months and only 10,500 km. I replaced the batteries a couple of times trying to figure out if they (the batteries) were to blame. They weren't.

Not sure what I've been doing wrong. First one I washed religiously. When it failed in less than a year I figured that perhaps I was washing it too much, so, I only occassionally rinsed the second one with pretty much similliar results.
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Wash, don't wash, the premium straps don't last.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 04:33 PM   #31
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,246
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Stupid HR monitor did it again today! This time in the middle of the ride, so I should have been generating enough sweat to keep the thing moist. Gah! How do you know when the battery is dead? Bad readings or no readings? (it's the cheaper garmin strap)

I got all the way down to a HR of 67 before I noticed... I was taking it easy but not that easy!
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 05:05 PM   #32
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Stupid HR monitor did it again today! This time in the middle of the ride, so I should have been generating enough sweat to keep the thing moist. Gah! How do you know when the battery is dead? Bad readings or no readings? (it's the cheaper garmin strap)

I got all the way down to a HR of 67 before I noticed... I was taking it easy but not that easy!
If it's the garmin strap with the two snaps that attach to the transmitter, replace it the strap. The snaps suffer an unnoticable amount of corrossion that impedes the very minute electrical signal between heart, sensor pads and transmitter. It's a known and well documented issue. Look at DCrainmakers site. He recommends a different brand of strap that will still snap onto the transmitter but is apparently more durable.

If it's the entire enclosed ini plastic strap, with no removable transmitter, replace the battery it's easy. A coin opening slot in the back.

The battery replacement on the "soft" "premium""snap on" strap involves removing a couple of screws.

Both use a common coin style cell, the number of which I forget at the moment.
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 05:37 PM   #33
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,246
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
I have the "cheap" garmin strap... the whole plastic one with the coin operated battery slot. I guess I'll try a new battery before a new strap.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 06:03 PM   #34
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I have the "cheap" garmin strap... the whole plastic one with the coin operated battery slot. I guess I'll try a new battery before a new strap.
Your "cheap" strap is what I've just "upgraded" to from the "premium" straps which certainly weren't working for me. I suspect a new battery will rectify the situation.
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-13, 06:46 PM   #35
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I have the "cheap" garmin strap... the whole plastic one with the coin operated battery slot. I guess I'll try a new battery before a new strap.
Status report? Did the battery fix the situation?
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-13, 08:50 PM   #36
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,246
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
Status report? Did the battery fix the situation?
I belive it did - I've only ridden once with the new battery, and it was with the kids so it wasn't exactly a high HR excursion but the results look appropriate. I'm going to see if I can get a ride in tomorrow but I think all is well.

Nice cheap fix too.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-13, 09:29 PM   #37
jsigone
got the climbing bug
Thread Starter
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: one for everything
Posts: 8,486
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I need to change out the batteries in my legs
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:29 PM.