Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Why Bib over Bike Shorts? (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/903021-why-bib-over-bike-shorts.html)

Jarrett2 07-22-13 03:50 PM

Why Bib over Bike Shorts?
 
I have been seeing this a lot more lately. Why do people recommend a bib over bike shorts for clydes?

chasm54 07-22-13 03:56 PM

I assume you mean bibs instead of shorts, rather than over shorts.

I'm not sure this is Clyde-specific, but bibs are, simply, massively superior. They are more comfortable, they stay where they are put.

Jarrett2 07-22-13 04:00 PM

Yes, in lieu of.

PhotoJoe 07-22-13 04:00 PM

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...highlight=bibs

jsigone 07-22-13 04:01 PM

cuz they don't move no matter how long the ride is.

adrien 07-22-13 05:03 PM

Well, for the fashion-obsessed, I'd like to point out that the bib part is usually under the jersey (I slay me). :p

On a more serious note, they don't rely on your hips to keep them in-place. Cycling has a series of motions (notably pushing the behind back on the seat) that tend to lower garments that rely on the hips. This means you're constantly tugging at them, tolerating an unfortunate baboon-esque display and / or cinching a waist way too tight. With bibs, there's none of that.

Myosmith 07-22-13 05:21 PM

It comes down to personal preference. I've got properly fitting shorts and despite my size, I have no problem with them creeping or rolling during rides. If you like bibs, go for it.

bigfred 07-22-13 05:27 PM

'Cause they don't fall down, roll down, cut in, or, in anyway bother or frustrate me during a ride.

BigJeff 07-22-13 07:03 PM

... until you have to use the restroom....

some have a lower front than others, but if yours has a high front and you're wearing a 3/4 zip jersy, you ,ay only be able to "aim up" in an emergency....


...in which case you may just claim "the bathroom was 'like that' when you went in"...

uh yeah....

bigfred 07-22-13 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJeff (Post 15877878)
... until you have to use the restroom....

some have a lower front than others, but if yours has a high front and you're wearing a 3/4 zip jersy, you ,ay only be able to "aim up" in an emergency....


...in which case you may just claim "the bathroom was 'like that' when you went in"...

uh yeah....

Just open a leg.

In the case of number 2s: That's why you see more and more riders wearing full zip jerseys. No loosing all the pocket contents onto the floor of the leuw.

BigJeff 07-22-13 07:27 PM

Yeah.... now you tell me.....

Fangowolf 07-22-13 07:37 PM

I have both but if you are big and in the drops then shorts get rolled down by the gut. In a bib it's just underneath.

CommuteCommando 07-22-13 07:38 PM

In a word. . . prevents Plumbers Cleavage.

Myosmith 07-22-13 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando (Post 15877991)
In a word. . . prevents Plumbers Cleavage.

If you've got plumber's crack showing, you're lying to yourself about your proper shorts size.

indyfabz 07-23-13 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfred (Post 15877903)
Just open a leg.

In the case of number 2s: That's why you see more and more riders wearing full zip jerseys. No loosing all the pocket contents onto the floor of the leuw.

+1, although doing No. 2 can get a little more complicated if you have to use a "Turkish Toilette" like I did in Italy last month. Always carry cleat covers for just such an occasion.

CommuteCommando 07-23-13 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myosmith (Post 15878143)
If you've got plumber's crack showing, you're lying to yourself about your proper shorts size.

This is true in many cases, but it also depends on body shape, and cut of the garment. One reason I prefer the Levi's 501 over the cheaper Wrangler's is that I didn't get it with the former. Apple shaped people like me are more prone than pear shaped people. Apple people have smaller waist size to weight ratio than pears do, and there is less hip and azz to hold things up.

PhotoJoe 07-23-13 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando (Post 15879519)
One reason I prefer the Levi's 501 .....

501's? :eek: I haven't fit my fat butt in 501's since just after college. Nope, 560's for me! :(

CommuteCommando 07-23-13 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJoe (Post 15879680)
501's? :eek: I haven't fit my fat butt in 501's since just after college. Nope, 560's for me! :(

Wife is a wally supporter and insists on dressing me from there, then complains about the crack. :rolleyes:

Myosmith 07-23-13 06:44 PM

All I wear is 501s and 505s. Couldn't do that a few years ago. My daughter still wears a pair of pinstriped 501s I had in high school.

fietsbob 07-23-13 07:09 PM

Lederhosen, perhaps ? they have straps to hold them up, too, the main perceptible advantage to bibs, built in suspenders..

bigfred 07-23-13 07:11 PM

501s? You guys need to get out and ride more! There's no way legs that fit into 501s can be producing enough power to push a clyde around at any sort of speed.

501s are climber pants. Clydes should warrant at the vary least rouleur pants and preferably sprinter trousers.:D

johnnywhale 07-24-13 06:33 PM

I wear bibs under my Levis for the slimming effect of the spandex

Notgrownup 07-24-13 06:55 PM

Spanx baby, Spanx...

Dunbar 07-25-13 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myosmith (Post 15878143)
If you've got plumber's crack showing, you're lying to yourself about your proper shorts size.

It must depend on the shorts because I've seen skinny guys with the smalls of their backs on display (do they not feel the wind back there and wonder what's going on???) My Pearl Izumi Attack shorts are generously sized in the back. There's enough material to pull them about 1/3 up my back so I have no worries about exposing any skin. I haven't had any issues with the front being pushed down too much but I guess with a large enough gut that could become a problem.

Myosmith 07-25-13 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunbar (Post 15886448)
It must depend on the shorts because I've seen skinny guys with the smalls of their backs on display (do they not feel the wind back there and wonder what's going on???) My Pearl Izumi Attack shorts are generously sized in the back. There's enough material to pull them about 1/3 up my back so I have no worries about exposing any skin. I haven't had any issues with the front being pushed down too much but I guess with a large enough gut that could become a problem.

It's one thing to get a gap between your waistband and jersey that shows a line of skin on your back, and something else to have your waistband so low you are showing butt cleavage. Of course you could go gangsta and wear your grandpa's boxers sticking out the top.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 AM.