Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    My Bikes
    2012 Cinelli Xperience
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thoughts on Cinelli bikes

    One of the smaller LBS has a 2012 Cinelli Experience Veloce on their sales floor. I looked at it the other day and, I just keep thinking about it. He wanted $1200 for it which seems a little high to me for a 2 year old bike that was around $1700 new, but it has good gear on it and was comfortable while I sat on it. I didn't get to ride it because it was pouring the rain at the time. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this brand, most everything I find about them is from England, which is fine riding is riding. Does that seem like a fair price for an older bike?

  2. #2
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://www.wiggle.com/cinelli-experience-veloce-2013/

    $1200 ????????


    Might as well go on line and get a brand new 2013 for $942.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    My Bikes
    2012 Cinelli Xperience
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a better price at first, but shipping starts at $100. By the time you add in a fitting and tune up at a LBS the price comes out to be almost the same. If the price is close to the same I would rather support a local business. So the price isn't too far off I guess.

  4. #4
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat2k3 View Post
    That looks like a better price at first, but shipping starts at $100. By the time you add in a fitting and tune up at a LBS the price comes out to be almost the same. If the price is close to the same I would rather support a local business. So the price isn't too far off I guess.
    Yeah but when you hang around these forums long enough you see how many riders bought used then got stiffed when the frame broke. "Used" voids the warranties on the frames. Plenty of guys got themselves stiffed by trying to save a few bucks.

    Plus $100 for new 2013 vs less $100 for used and not knowing if there is really anything wrong with the bike, crashed, repaired frame, hidden damage?

    Oh well, it's your choice.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    My Bikes
    2012 Cinelli Xperience
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the advice, I know you guys know more about this stuff than I do. I don't think it was a used bike, just a leftover. I'm going to keep looking though I'm sure there are better deals to be had.

  6. #6
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat2k3 View Post
    I don't think it was a used bike, just a leftover.
    Ah OK! I didn't pick up on that. In that case I can totally understand your point. I'd buy a last year's model without hesitation if the price worked out to be right!

  7. #7
    Just Keep Pedaling Beachgrad05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    My Bikes
    99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 14 Bianchi Vigarelli
    Posts
    2,035
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride with a woman who rides a cinelli - not sure what model. She is getting into racing and it is her race bike.
    Move along....nothing to see here....anymore.

  8. #8
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,731
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat2k3 View Post
    I appreciate the advice, I know you guys know more about this stuff than I do. I don't think it was a used bike, just a leftover. I'm going to keep looking though I'm sure there are better deals to be had.
    Don't be afraid to ask the shop for a better deal! Even $100 off would close the gap nicely on the in-store vs. on line bike.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    My Bikes
    2012 Cinelli Xperience
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably going to end up going back and taking a ride on it. There is just something about that bike that "speaks" to me, none of the other bikes I've looked at have done this. I am still going to drive to a couple of shops in some bigger cities to see what they have deal wise. I usually try not to let emotion play too big a role in what I purchase, I have to like it, but put function ahead of feelings.

  10. #10
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea Cinelli had anything close to that price point. I'm surprised. They were best known in the US from way back as the preferred manufacturer of bars and quill stems, and you would only occasionally see a bike frame from them, and when you did, it would be expensive.
    Craig in Indy

  11. #11
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,407
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat2k3 View Post
    One of the smaller LBS has a 2012 Cinelli Experience Veloce on their sales floor. I looked at it the other day and, I just keep thinking about it. He wanted $1200 for it which seems a little high to me for a 2 year old bike that was around $1700 new, but it has good gear on it and was comfortable while I sat on it. I didn't get to ride it because it was pouring the rain at the time. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this brand, most everything I find about them is from England, which is fine riding is riding. Does that seem like a fair price for an older bike?
    Take it out for a ride first, if you like the fit and feel of the bike, then try to negotiate a better price (as others have suggesyed).

    Cinelli bikes have generally received fairly decent reviews.

    How is it equipped?

    Beachgrad05's friend rides one and she likes it...that isagood starting point.

    Good luck.
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    My Bikes
    2012 Cinelli Xperience
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has all Campagnolo Veloce shifters and derailleurs. It is a compact double with a 10 speed cassette but I didn't check tooth count or brand I'm not sure about the rest; brakes, hubs, wheel set. I had convinced myself that I needed a cyclo-cross bike so I really didn't spec it out. It will take up to a 28mm tire though so that should help with the short gravel road I have to ride down from my house to the paved road. I'm going to have to go give it a second look.
    Last edited by LabRat2k3; 08-15-13 at 06:29 AM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,407
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat2k3 View Post
    It has all Campagnolo Veloce shifters and derailleurs. I'm not sure about the rest, brakes, hubs, gear set. I had convinced myself that I needed a cyclo-cross bike so I really didn't spec it out. It will take up to a 28mm tire though so that should help with the short gravel road I have to ride down from my house to the paved road. I'm going to have to go give it a second look.
    Lab, that's a good set up. If you like the way it rides, try to get dealer to come down $100 to $200. Or have him throw in a few extra goodies.

    Ride on and ride safely!
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek Domane 4.5, 2009 Specialized Hard Rock 29er, 1989 Cannondale w/Campy Nuovo Record Components (mostly anway, now just on the trainer) and Easy Racer Recumbent (home made from plans)
    Posts
    264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    I had no idea Cinelli had anything close to that price point. I'm surprised. They were best known in the US from way back as the preferred manufacturer of bars and quill stems, and you would only occasionally see a bike frame from them, and when you did, it would be expensive.
    I agree!! Back when I was racing a Cinelli was about as high dollar as you could get Well maybe some of the customs with cut out lugs. Cinellis were a couple of thousand dollars, or so, 30 years ago if I remember correctly!! I bought a Fastab custom with Campy Nuovo Record for $1000 and Cinelli was out of my price range.

    Bill

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cinelli's are storied bikes with a fantastic reputation for build quality, ride feel, and price

    Many of the "ironic" hipster/single speed crowd have "discovered" Cinelli frames and have driven the name, and used prices of the older frames, back up.

    A Veloce-spec'd Cinelli is a perfect combo (thats why its calling to you ). I'd ride it, offer $1000, and pray for a "yes."
    "I had this baby hand made in Tuscany, from titanium blessed by the pope. It weighs less than a fart, and costs more than a divorce..."

  16. #16
    Grouch Deaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucks County, PA
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
    Cinelli's are storied bikes with a fantastic reputation for build quality, ride feel, and price

    Many of the "ironic" hipster/single speed crowd have "discovered" Cinelli frames and have driven the name, and used prices of the older frames, back up.
    Lab

    Think of the Street Cred you'd get

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    My Bikes
    2012 Cinelli Xperience
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I went and rode it today and ended up buying it. I was wrong about the shifters and derailleurs, they are all 105's. He came down to $1000 and it was too good of a deal to pass up.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Null66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Garner, NC 27529
    My Bikes
    Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
    Posts
    1,177
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new bike!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •