Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   I'm I the only 400lbs er out there? (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/907939-im-i-only-400lbs-er-out-there.html)

bigdoug 08-17-13 11:23 AM

I'm I the only 400lbs er out there?
 
Hi folks,

Just destroyed my back rim again. Having a custom built at a bike shop. Wondering, at 400 lbs am I just asking too much of the equipment available? I ride about 14km per day.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Nightshade 08-17-13 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdoug (Post 15970870)
Hi folks,

Just destroyed my back rim again. Having a custom built at a bike shop. Wondering, at 400 lbs am I just asking too much of the equipment available? I ride about 14km per day.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Worksman Cycle rims are designed to carry loads of 500 lbs or more. They can be found here.......... www.worksman.com

goldfinch 08-17-13 08:10 PM

No you are not the only one. Get the new strong wheel or wheels and ride. This bike has a suspension fork, yes? Does it work ok for you? Those can be a problem for heavier riders, bottoming out with the rider's weight. Lock outs can sometimes fail as well. But if it is working out ok then go riding!

IAMAMRA 08-17-13 10:00 PM

I started out around 440# and am on my second wheel so far. However, my first year I only put on about 60-70mi total. Be careful of the company above, seeing a lot of bad reviews.

Bill Kapaun 08-17-13 10:16 PM

You can have a suitable wheel built.
You'd probably want to go with a 40 or 48 spoke rim, quality spokes, hub & build.

You didn't specify what this wheel is on, which would help one to give better advice.
26", 700C or ???
Mountain bike, hybrid, road bike or???

2 wheeler 08-17-13 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun (Post 15972449)
You can have a suitable wheel built.
You'd probably want to go with a 40 or 48 spoke rim, quality spokes, hub & build.

You didn't specify what this wheel is on, which would help one to give better advice.
26", 700C or ???
Mountain bike, hybrid, road bike or???

2013 Scott Aspect 950

Bill Kapaun 08-17-13 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 wheeler (Post 15972472)
2013 Scott Aspect 950

From what I see, the bike has 26" rims, not "metric"?????

Can you post a link or actually just LOOK at the rim and see what it says?

bigfred 08-18-13 01:50 AM

You're not alone. There are other cyclists your size and plenty of tandem teams that top your weight and yet demand that their equipment perform for them.

Do you know what your LBS is building up for you?

corwin1968 08-18-13 04:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a 400 pounder. I rode a Trek Multitrack from 1995 to 2007 and then again from 2012-2013 with a Trek 7.2 FX in between. In 2011 I started planning to upgrade my bike and the first thing I bought was a set of custom wheels. I contacted Rich Lesnik of Rivendell Bicycle Works, who has a good reputation for building sturdy wheels. He built me a set of wheels based on Velocity Dyad rims paired to 40-spoke touring hubs. So far I have had no problems although I probably only put 5-10 miles on them a week. I would have preferred to go with an LBS but I wanted a reputable wheel builder and while I'm sure there are some good ones locally, I couldn't find any references, which is important to me.

I don't know how you ride but I think a big factor is riding "light". When I come to any kind of imperfection in the road I rise up off the saddle just a bit and use my knees and elbows to cushion the shock rather than just keeping all my weight on the seat. I've read that this lessens the load on the wheels.

Good luck with your new wheel and keep riding! I think it's the most enjoyable exercise out there.

Here's my ride (I ride 32mm tires with no problems):

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=335441

Thedoofa 08-18-13 11:02 AM

You're certainly not the only one!


I've just literally finished putting my custom wheels on my bike (taken me ages to get round to it die to work and a bad back!) I got some touring wheels made, as I really just didn't feel confident at all with the stock Giant wheels that came on my Giant Rapid!


I really should have taken some pics! The wheels I ended up with are 40h Rigida Sputnik rims with Royce Titan hubs. Just put some continental 4 seasons on them - can't wait to get out there again.

bigdoug 08-19-13 05:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow thanks for all the advice and support everyone.

To answer the best I can, the rims are 29ers, the wheel guy is building a 29er 38 spoke with eyelets. I'm not sure of the brand but he says it will be substantially stronger than the stock Alex rim with 32 spokes. It will be about a week or more before the parts come in.

The forks are full suspension, but I use them in locked out mode, haven't been a problem so far. My impressions of the Scott brand are not great. I replaced pedals in a week because they bent. The rest of the bike seems structurally sound, but the price was inflated at $700.00 plus.

Thanks again for everyone's support.

Can't wait to get back out there.http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=335724http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=335725

Myosmith 08-19-13 05:52 PM

There are certainly wheels that can handle the weight. A quality, double wall, eyeletted touring or 29er rim (something that will take a beefy tire) with 36 to 40 butted spokes on a hub and axle designed for loaded touring or a tandem, should take the weight fine. I don't know what size tires your frameset will take, but if you can put 32mm or wider tires on, they will take the load better and help protect the wheel by absorbing and distributing force of bumps and potholes. A well built wheel that is properly trued and tensioned will take a lot of weight. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Null66 08-20-13 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdoug (Post 15978442)
Wow thanks for all the advice and support everyone.

To answer the best I can, the rims are 29ers, the wheel guy is building a 29er 38 spoke with eyelets. I'm not sure of the brand but he says it will be substantially stronger than the stock Alex rim with 32 spokes. It will be about a week or more before the parts come in.

The forks are full suspension, but I use them in locked out mode, haven't been a problem so far. My impressions of the Scott brand are not great. I replaced pedals in a week because they bent. The rest of the bike seems structurally sound, but the price was inflated at $700.00 plus.

Thanks again for everyone's support.

Can't wait to get back out there.http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=335724http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=335725


VERY NICE BIKE!
Usually the stock pedals on a bike of this quality are for test riding. It is presumed you'll get or have you're own pedals. Most run clipless now.

I was a rat trap die hard until I had trouble finding decent quality rat trap pedals. I tried 3 pairs from LBS's here and all had nasty bearings. I adopted clipless (eggbeaters) and haven't looked back. I have since upgraded to candies though. I now know that fine quality can be had for a reasonable price at velo-orange.com for traditionals. I'm glad I didn't know it then though...


Hope to read about your riding adventures!

desmo900 08-24-13 09:49 PM

I restarted my cycling career at 427lbs down to 377 now. My off road wheel set is still straight and true after almost 600 miles of fire roads, single track and general tom foolery with a few 2 foot drop offs. Im running Hope 36 hole hubs with Stans flow EX rims and 29 x 2.24 Maxis Ardent tires


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:34 PM.