Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 95 of 95
  1. #76
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross, 2011 RM Flow1
    Posts
    11,318
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spare bedroom is my computer room and bike cave.

    Tools and wheel rack:


    Over/under rack and some as-of-yet-unorganized bikes:


    Unorganized bike heap and gear shelves.


    My kits and other workout gear are all in one of the two closets in this room. I'm getting a second over/under rack to go in front of the window and put up 2 more bikes from the heap. A wall-mounted hanger will take care of the fifth.
    All my bikes live inside the apartment.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  2. #77
    Senior Member @Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    2013 Surly Disc Trucker
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Surlys are in the living room. Not only do we enjoy looking at them, it's great motivation to use them.

  3. #78
    Senior Member mrodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western PA
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 1, Junk Walmart Job - Mongoose DXR mountain bike
    Posts
    712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I didn't state that mine is in the garage, just that my bike barely fits in the garage with all the other junk in there. No matter, I have to change it. My bike has pretty much been living on the back of my car now. I don't even bother taking it off. All I do is drive to work, to the trail, and back home, so no reason to remove it from the back of the car.

    Only thing I don't like about that is if it rains. Sometimes I'll take it off and put it in the garage but I wake up too early in the morning and have too little time to get the bike back on the car to go to work, so it just sits there on the car overnight whether it's going to rain or not. I will take it in the garage if I'm positive it's going to be pouring down rain in the afternoon after work.
    Ride no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

  4. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
    ...Only thing I don't like about that is if it rains. Sometimes I'll take it off and put it in the garage but I wake up too early in the morning and have too little time to get the bike back on the car to go to work, so it just sits there on the car overnight whether it's going to rain or not. I will take it in the garage if I'm positive it's going to be pouring down rain in the afternoon after work.
    ... And you sleep well at night? That's bike abuse, sir! Lol! Seriously, though, I cringe at my bikes (motorized or not) sitting out uncovered in the rain...
    "I had this baby hand made in Tuscany, from titanium blessed by the pope. It weighs less than a fart, and costs more than a divorce..."

  5. #80
    Senior Member mrodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western PA
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 1, Junk Walmart Job - Mongoose DXR mountain bike
    Posts
    712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
    ... And you sleep well at night? That's bike abuse, sir! Lol! Seriously, though, I cringe at my bikes (motorized or not) sitting out uncovered in the rain...
    Meh.... it's just a junk Walmart bike. I hear what you're saying. I don't know what I'll do next year as I plan to pick up a nicer bike next year. Not having it on the back of the car overnight though doesn't solve the problem of if it is raining in the morning while sitting on the car while I'm at work since I go on the way home to ride every day. I only take it off when I know it will be raining in the afternoon.
    Ride no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

  6. #81
    Junior Member Lunchbox1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Central NJ
    My Bikes
    2008 DB Wildwood Citi(for sale, cheap!), 2009 Trek 7.6 FX
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I finally put up these bike hangers I got on Amazon. My girlfriend and I share a 450sqft studio and she knocked over the bikes a few times so I figured these would be the best bet. Not bad for $5


  7. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox1987 View Post
    Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I finally put up these bike hangers I got on Amazon. My girlfriend and I share a 450sqft studio and she knocked over the bikes a few times so I figured these would be the best bet. Not bad for $5

    $5??? Are they safe? Looks like an elegant solution.
    And shhh! My most-often-used road bike has been living between the living room and the kitchen. SWMBO hasn't complained yet...
    "I had this baby hand made in Tuscany, from titanium blessed by the pope. It weighs less than a fart, and costs more than a divorce..."

  8. #83
    Junior Member Lunchbox1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Central NJ
    My Bikes
    2008 DB Wildwood Citi(for sale, cheap!), 2009 Trek 7.6 FX
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
    $5??? Are they safe? Looks like an elegant solution.
    And shhh! My most-often-used road bike has been living between the living room and the kitchen. SWMBO hasn't complained yet...
    There were a ton of good reviews, the only con being once the rubber hook protector wore it would scratch the wheels. I set them into the studs using 3in screws and put a good amount of weight on them to see if they could take it. So far so good

  9. #84
    Super Clyde
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Sanford, NC
    My Bikes
    '14 Trek Madone 2.1
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to keep road bike and mountain bike hanging from hooks in the ceiling of the garage, and my kids bikes and my wife's mountain bike that she hasn't ridden in 10 years tucked in the corner in the garage Bike #2 almost caused a divorce, I can't wait to see what happens next year when I plan on buying a 29er. I can't imagine what would happen if I told my wife I was going to keep one or both bikes in the house.😁
    --Brett--

  10. #85
    I WILL BE YOUR LARRY arex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '85 Nishiki Colorado
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our bikes are in the living room, propped up against the church pew.
    "Ahab knew, baby...I lust." -- Vet-san

  11. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Askibum02 View Post
    I have to keep road bike and mountain bike hanging from hooks in the ceiling of the garage, and my kids bikes and my wife's mountain bike that she hasn't ridden in 10 years tucked in the corner in the garage Bike #2 almost caused a divorce, I can't wait to see what happens next year when I plan on buying a 29er. I can't imagine what would happen if I told my wife I was going to keep one or both bikes in the house.
    I feel your pain, Brett. My wife had no concept of N+1 (or chose to act as if she didn't understand it), until I likened it to her purses and shoes. Now she actually wants another bike (yay!)--a fixie. I'm a bit stoked. And loving the way my road bike looks in the house
    "I had this baby hand made in Tuscany, from titanium blessed by the pope. It weighs less than a fart, and costs more than a divorce..."

  12. #87
    Keepin it Wheel RubeRad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, etc
    Posts
    2,314
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox1987 View Post
    There were a ton of good reviews, the only con being once the rubber hook protector wore it would scratch the wheels. I set them into the studs using 3in screws and put a good amount of weight on them to see if they could take it. So far so good
    If the rubber wears off, you could always use a sock or other rag.

  13. #88
    What, me worry? Telly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    My Bikes
    Corratec / Jamis
    Posts
    1,091
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a small apartment and space is an issue, so the bikes have their living quarters in a hallway by the entrance which also serves as my home office and on occasion as a bike workshop if the weathers' not cooperating and I can't work on the balcony.


  14. #89
    Junior Member Lunchbox1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Central NJ
    My Bikes
    2008 DB Wildwood Citi(for sale, cheap!), 2009 Trek 7.6 FX
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
    If the rubber wears off, you could always use a sock or other rag.
    Exactly. Or get some foam tape from home depot. For $5 I'm not to worried about it

  15. #90
    Real Human Being wild animals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ottery St. Catchpole
    My Bikes
    Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it would be inappropriate in my room. looks fine in your room. i guess it doesn't matter if it's appropriate, though, if it's causing a conflict.


    each of the two bikes in this small apartment is stood up on its back wheel with the bars against the wall and a junior harlequin novel shoved underneath the wheel to keep it from sliding forward. minimalist bike rack FTW. they're in the front room. wish we had a garage.
    Go until you stop, then take a break.

  16. #91
    Keepin it Wheel RubeRad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, etc
    Posts
    2,314
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild animals View Post
    each of the two bikes in this small apartment is stood up on its back wheel with the bars against the wall and a junior harlequin novel shoved underneath the wheel to keep it from sliding forward. minimalist bike rack FTW. they're in the front room. wish we had a garage.
    That's really clever, never thought of that before! Best possible use for a junior harlequin novel!
    Last edited by RubeRad; 10-30-13 at 07:44 AM.

  17. #92
    Real Human Being wild animals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ottery St. Catchpole
    My Bikes
    Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    this will be mine soon... http://www.instructables.com/id/Two-Bike-Bike-Rack/

    still debating about what wood and what stain to use... with some work you could easily modify it to hold 4 bikes
    that was one of the racks i looked at when we moved into this small, awkward apartment. i finally found good rack designs that involve hanging the bike by its front tire, and i was really gung ho about it, but then i found this:

    http://www.instructables.com/id/Bike...lously-simple/

    so... i didn't have to buy any plywood.
    Go until you stop, then take a break.

  18. #93
    Real Human Being wild animals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ottery St. Catchpole
    My Bikes
    Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha, that's what i thought, too. we are usually too horrified to mistreat books, but those books felt right for the purpose.
    Go until you stop, then take a break.

  19. #94
    Senior Member Ronno6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Astor,. Florida
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    The Bike Cave
    There have been several more added since this photo.

  20. #95
    ... part of the machine. the engine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    My Bikes
    '11 Raleigh Record Ace (Training), '10 Lynsky R230 (Events), '?? Burley Duet Tandem (Recreation), '90 Scwinn LeTour (retired).
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 in my office, which is in a back bedroom, 5 locked in a shed outside. The two in the house are my regular rides, and are expensive bikes.

    I have always kept my bikes in the house. My wife would rather put up with them in the house, than spend what it would costs to replace one that gets stolen.

    I like them close ... they are works of art, like sculpture. Very good for the soul. And, and I ride them too
    http://www.tek-kneescycling.com
    RUSA #8931 - UMCA #8552

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •