Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-13, 09:50 PM   #1
WobblyLegs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
WobblyLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Louisiana
Bikes: Raleigh road bike
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lower back pain=weak core?

Hi everyone,
By the grace of everything holy, I just completed a MS-150 ride this weekend that I'd been training hard for (hooray for a middle-aged fat woman!) I live in a very flat area with no hills; 3/4 of this ride had some mighty hefty hills.
The first day went well. On the second, though, we had some pretty significant wind and rain making the hills even harder to climb.
The good news is that the old legs feel absolutely great! The only thing hurting is my lower back. I don't think there is any injury- just muscular pain. I've not experienced this on any rides before done on the flat.
Have you guys experienced lower back pain before after riding, and do core strengthening exercises help?
Thanks in advance!
WobblyLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 07:40 AM   #2
Ursa Minor
Senior Member
 
Ursa Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Barbara CA
Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ouch sorry to hear about your back. Mines been hurting this last week and keeping me off the bike.
Not sure what hurt it. Anyway good luck with yours (and mine!).

Charlie
Ursa Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 09:15 AM   #3
Fastflyingasian
Draft Producer
 
Fastflyingasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: south shore , Ma
Bikes: fuji CCR 1.0 carbon,Surley Pacer,02 norco shore freeride MTB, cannondale rigid MTB, Fuji aloha 1.0, Monty trials bike
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the answer is generally multi part. assuming your "fit" is spot on then its usually your posture while riding. its easy to slouch when your on the bike for long hours. if you don't catch it then its not going to feel good. i end up doing a lot of on bike yoga if i do that. naturally if your core is unable to cope then you will not be able to hold yourself in the proper position for the duration.
Fastflyingasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 09:17 AM   #4
WobblyLegs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
WobblyLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Louisiana
Bikes: Raleigh road bike
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Minor View Post
Ouch sorry to hear about your back. Mines been hurting this last week and keeping me off the bike.
Not sure what hurt it. Anyway good luck with yours (and mine!).

Charlie
Thanks Charlie! Fortunately mine is feeling a lot better today (heat helped), and hopefully yours will soon too. Planning to hop back on the bike this afternoon and see how it feels
WobblyLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 09:24 AM   #5
sstorkel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
Posts: 5,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WobblyLegs View Post
I've not experienced this on any rides before done on the flat.
Have you guys experienced lower back pain before after riding, and do core strengthening exercises help?
I have observed that climbing puts more strain on my lower back than flat rides. I tend to lean forward a bit while climbing, which probably doesn't help. I'm sure that core strengthening exercises can help, but I find them intensely boring. For me, climbing and sprinting out of the saddle seem to improve core strength and are much more fun than planks or any other core exercise I've tried...
sstorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 09:28 AM   #6
WobblyLegs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
WobblyLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Louisiana
Bikes: Raleigh road bike
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastflyingasian View Post
the answer is generally multi part. assuming your "fit" is spot on then its usually your posture while riding. its easy to slouch when your on the bike for long hours. if you don't catch it then its not going to feel good. i end up doing a lot of on bike yoga if i do that. naturally if your core is unable to cope then you will not be able to hold yourself in the proper position for the duration.
Thanks! The bike fit is good. I think it did come down to poor posture related to fatigue. I'd been concentrating mostly on leg strength while training, but mistakenly ignored core strength. Lesson learned the hard way!
WobblyLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 09:32 AM   #7
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I suffer from back problems. I think it was due to my several motorcycle accidents and I believe the posture on the bike doenst help much.. However I sometimes feel that core pain can vary depending, not only on the length of the ride, but the intensity. There are days that an 80 mile leisurely ride doesnt do much, but a strenous 25 mile ride can give me serious lower back pain.
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 09:41 AM   #8
copswithguns 
Texas Tornado
 
copswithguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Bikes: '14 Specialized Roubaix SL 4 Full Ultegra 6800
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A weak core is my theory as well. I bought Tom Danielson's Core Advantage. If you don't know. T.D. is a pro cyclist and he co-wrote the book with his trainer. It's a core strength book written by cyclists for cyclists and has a lot of good workouts that will improve your core strength, which will improve your cycling. It's like $10 and worth it.
__________________
"Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...Now that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson
copswithguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 09:47 AM   #9
JackoDandy
Senior Member
 
JackoDandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PNW - USA
Bikes:
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, at the risk of sounding like a 'kook' here goes:

For months Ive been suffering sharp back pain that has even degraded my sleeping habits. Every movement was met with a dull to sharp back spasm. I was on the clyde forums a few weeks ago and came across a member's posting of a 'fix' for back pain (thanks, but I forget who you were). The member pointed to these to ease back pain:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Miracle-Ba.../dp/0761128689

Im the #1 skeptic to 'quick fix' ideas but seeing as the 'balls' were only $13, I took a chance as I was about to visit my doctor and expected a huge medical bill to fix my back. Well, blow me over but the things actually work! Ive had a week now of pain-free sleep and if my back hurts during the day, I lie on these things for 10 mins and it takes away 90% of the pain.

I have no affiliation with the balls and no idea if you need medical help or not. I'm just saying these things are working for me.

I rode my bike pain-free this week for the first time in weeks.
JackoDandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 09:52 AM   #10
Fastflyingasian
Draft Producer
 
Fastflyingasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: south shore , Ma
Bikes: fuji CCR 1.0 carbon,Surley Pacer,02 norco shore freeride MTB, cannondale rigid MTB, Fuji aloha 1.0, Monty trials bike
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WobblyLegs View Post
Thanks! The bike fit is good. I think it did come down to poor posture related to fatigue. I'd been concentrating mostly on leg strength while training, but mistakenly ignored core strength. Lesson learned the hard way!
unless your abs or obliques are beat up at the end of the ride then it may be more of a mental error if its posture related pain. the body is only as lazy as the operator upstairs
Fastflyingasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 10:05 AM   #11
etw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I recently was told about some good stretching exercises for the back. I have recently purchased this book, and am waiting for it to arrive.

http://www.amazon.com/Whartons-Back-...ton+stretching
etw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 11:02 AM   #12
BigUgly
I Ride, Therefore I Am
 
BigUgly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central, PA via Philthadelphia
Bikes:
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find after long rides my hamstrings tighen up and cause some lower back pain. I find stretching them out, along with ab muscles relieves the tightness in my back.
BigUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 11:23 AM   #13
billh
Senior Member
 
billh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WobblyLegs View Post
Hi everyone,
Have you guys experienced lower back pain before after riding,
yes . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WobblyLegs View Post
and do core strengthening exercises help?
Thanks in advance!
and yes.

lower back is a major cycling muscle, if not THE major cycling muscle group. the core exercises are boring at first but difficult if you have not done them, examples: traditional situps, crunches on the abs . . . but need to balance with supermans, and alternating supermans for the lower back . . . then the abductors and adductors exercises for the sides, can do with the plyo cords and shoe stirrups standing up and stepping sideways, monster steps . . . lie on side and raise leg. many, many, many variations on the core. I just get a mat and choose them randomly, making sure to hit all four sides (front abs, back muscle group, left side, right side). Do it, you won't regret it!

ps--forgot front planks and side planks, hold for 30 seconds each. work up to 60 sec. bread and butter core.

Last edited by billh; 10-08-13 at 11:28 AM.
billh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 09:14 AM   #14
WobblyLegs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
WobblyLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Louisiana
Bikes: Raleigh road bike
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by copswithguns View Post
A weak core is my theory as well. I bought Tom Danielson's Core Advantage. If you don't know. T.D. is a pro cyclist and he co-wrote the book with his trainer. It's a core strength book written by cyclists for cyclists and has a lot of good workouts that will improve your core strength, which will improve your cycling. It's like $10 and worth it.
I will check that book out- thanks!
WobblyLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 09:17 AM   #15
WobblyLegs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
WobblyLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Louisiana
Bikes: Raleigh road bike
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackoDandy View Post
OK, at the risk of sounding like a 'kook' here goes:

For months Ive been suffering sharp back pain that has even degraded my sleeping habits. Every movement was met with a dull to sharp back spasm. I was on the clyde forums a few weeks ago and came across a member's posting of a 'fix' for back pain (thanks, but I forget who you were). The member pointed to these to ease back pain:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Miracle-Ba.../dp/0761128689

Im the #1 skeptic to 'quick fix' ideas but seeing as the 'balls' were only $13, I took a chance as I was about to visit my doctor and expected a huge medical bill to fix my back. Well, blow me over but the things actually work! Ive had a week now of pain-free sleep and if my back hurts during the day, I lie on these things for 10 mins and it takes away 90% of the pain.

I have no affiliation with the balls and no idea if you need medical help or not. I'm just saying these things are working for me.

I rode my bike pain-free this week for the first time in weeks.
Terrific that you are pain free now- that is awesome! I've used foam rollers and "the stick" for my legs before, which works wonders for helping with knee pain
WobblyLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 09:19 AM   #16
WobblyLegs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
WobblyLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Louisiana
Bikes: Raleigh road bike
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etw View Post
I recently was told about some good stretching exercises for the back. I have recently purchased this book, and am waiting for it to arrive.

http://www.amazon.com/Whartons-Back-...ton+stretching
Thanks for the link- looks like a good one!
WobblyLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 09:24 AM   #17
WobblyLegs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
WobblyLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Louisiana
Bikes: Raleigh road bike
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billh View Post
yes . .



and yes.

lower back is a major cycling muscle, if not THE major cycling muscle group. the core exercises are boring at first but difficult if you have not done them, examples: traditional situps, crunches on the abs . . . but need to balance with supermans, and alternating supermans for the lower back . . . then the abductors and adductors exercises for the sides, can do with the plyo cords and shoe stirrups standing up and stepping sideways, monster steps . . . lie on side and raise leg. many, many, many variations on the core. I just get a mat and choose them randomly, making sure to hit all four sides (front abs, back muscle group, left side, right side). Do it, you won't regret it!

ps--forgot front planks and side planks, hold for 30 seconds each. work up to 60 sec. bread and butter core.
These are so helpful, and I am starting TODAY. Big thanks! Knowing absolutely next to nothing, I relied on leg strength and stubbornness to get me through the ride, while completely and foolishly ignoring core strength.
WobblyLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 09:26 AM   #18
WobblyLegs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
WobblyLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Louisiana
Bikes: Raleigh road bike
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all for your replies and the very good information! You have helped a newbie out tremendously and I am very grateful!
WobblyLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:02 AM.