Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Tour de Palm Springs - 2014 - Training with The Unlikely Cyclist (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/918428-tour-de-palm-springs-2014-training-unlikely-cyclist.html)

Beachgrad05 01-20-14 06:56 PM

Tour de Palm Springs - 2014 - Training with The Unlikely Cyclist
 
Nice. That cat 4 after the pit stop at mile 75 was painful.

Homeyba 01-20-14 07:41 PM

There was a climb at mile 75? I have no recollection of that..I must be getting old. I do remember the false flat to the finish.

Beachgrad05 01-20-14 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeyba (Post 16427366)
There was a climb at mile 75? I have no recollection of that..I must be getting old. I do remember the false flat to the finish.


You can see it here... That loop by La Quinta is the "climb" and descent.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...6210f53b72.jpg

Homeyba 01-20-14 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05 (Post 16427648)
You can see it here... That loop by La Quinta is the "climb" and descent.

Wow, I never even noticed it. I've done training rides out in that area before so I'm pretty familiar with the area, I must have just cruised on through without even thinking about it. I had my son with me on the tandem so he probably just pushed me along while I enjoyed the scenery. ;)

TrojanHorse 01-20-14 10:11 PM

That whole ride is a false flat and my lyin' garmin came up with 4k feet! FOUR THOUSAND!

I think it was wind induced error, no way that ride had anywhere near 4k of climbing. I'd give it maybe 2800. :lol:

As long as they leave that fantastic 7 mile bomb down the back side, I'll be happy. I topped out at 46.2 last year.

Homeyba 01-20-14 10:21 PM

I think we were pushing 60mph in spots coming down the backside but that's pretty easy on the tandem with a 60/11 gear. :)

jsigone 01-20-14 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16427736)
I topped out at 46.2 last year.

Think I was good for 31-32mph fully tucked w/ my limited gearing, very annoying :notamused:

Unfortunately TJ you won't get to tow me around that course again this yr. Gonna save my get outta home tickets for a larger fish in March...

Beachgrad05 01-20-14 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16427736)
That whole ride is a false flat and my lyin' garmin came up with 4k feet! FOUR THOUSAND!

I think it was wind induced error, no way that ride had anywhere near 4k of climbing. I'd give it maybe 2800. :lol:

As long as they leave that fantastic 7 mile bomb down the back side, I'll be happy. I topped out at 46.2 last year.

I got 3930 feet and topped out at 45 mph last year!

TrojanHorse 01-20-14 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16427785)
Think I was good for 31-32mph fully tucked w/ my limited gearing, very annoying :notamused:

Unfortunately TJ you won't get to tow me around that course again this yr. Gonna save my get outta home tickets for a larger fish in March...

Do tell, what's in March, and how does one "tow" from the rear echelon exactly? :D

I'm bringing the whole family with me, no "get out" card required. :)

jsigone 01-21-14 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16427795)
Do tell, what's in March, and how does one "tow" from the rear echelon exactly? :D

I'm bringing the whole family with me, no "get out" card required. :)

Solvang double, with fam in tow and make a longer road trip of it head to Monterey the next day. Still trying to fund the trip but that is what I'm thinking right now...even though I haven't touched my bike in almost 2 weeks:roflmao2:

TrojanHorse 01-21-14 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16427886)
Solvang double, with fam in tow and make a longer road trip of it head to Monterey the next day. Still trying to fund the trip but that is what I'm thinking right now...even though I haven't touched my bike in almost 2 weeks:roflmao2:

Wait, didn't you just bust your shifter? Sounds like you're ready to go for Palm Springs. :D

Ow, my ass just hurts thinking about a double.

jsigone 01-21-14 12:48 AM

haha funny guy and yah same side shifter too :notamused: Haven't "tried" a century on the CX knobby tires yet but the 70ish mile runs on it makes me legs feel like they went 100...but 35c tires are plush...just can't try to push 25+ like I can w/ the super6

IBOHUNT 01-21-14 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16427795)
... how does one "tow" from the rear echelon exactly? :D

Baaaaaa Haaaaaaa!

How "cold" was it? Just wondering since I'm sittin here watching 'white sunshine' fall. 8" and counting since 8 am Eastern time. :mad:

jsigone 01-21-14 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16427795)
and how does one "tow" from the rear echelon exactly? :D

You had more gear selection then me, iduno why you were hanging out near the back :lol:

Homeyba 01-21-14 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16427886)
Solvang double, with fam in tow and make a longer road trip of it head to Monterey the next day. Still trying to fund the trip but that is what I'm thinking right now...even though I haven't touched my bike in almost 2 weeks:roflmao2:

I've done that double 5-6 times, it's really fast. A friend of mine has done it in 8:45 and I've done it in 10hrs. The only problem is that every time I do it there is some kind of horrible weather going on like hail, massive down poors, strong winds or water spouts. Who knows maybe with the current drought it'll be nice. Actually, if I don't do it then it will probably be nice. ;)

If you take your family up to Monterey make sure you go up hwy 1. Stop at the elephant seals near Piedros Blancos, the kids will love it and Ragged Point, your wife will love that. Make sure you and make a stop at the Monterey Bay Aquarium along with Fisherman's wharf. It's definitely worth the price of admission.

TrojanHorse 01-22-14 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT (Post 16429117)
How "cold" was it? Just wondering

The day started at about 36 degrees (nice and clear though!) and warmed up to about 75 or so by 2pm. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16429673)
You had more gear selection then me, iduno why you were hanging out near the back :lol:

There were chicks! I don't know why you were so skeered and hadda run away.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 AM.