Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-13, 01:26 PM   #1
MattInFla 
Rolling roadblock
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Casselberry, FL
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Comp
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tour de Cure

Decided to set a goal that means something, and raise some funds for a good cause in the process, so I registered for the Tour de Cure in March here in Florida. I'm going to try for the 50 mile route (I know I won't be ready for the 70 or 100 miles by then).

Should be an interesting journey towards being able to do 50.



Plenty of time to get the distance up. I've done 20 already, so 50 in 20 weeks is more than possible.

Matt
__________________
With every ride, I get a little stronger. I gain a little stamina. I gain a little pride. And so I await the next ride...

Riding slow is not a sign of weakness. Quitting is.
MattInFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-13, 04:12 PM   #2
donalson
just pedal
 
donalson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kemah, TX (greater Houston area)
Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Klein stage comp, trek 560
Posts: 925
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
my first organized ride was a tour de cure, I still have fond memories... I did the 100k (longest they had ) it is still the furthest I've ever ridden... I did have some friends that helped tow me along on the back half (if you've not done group riding before you'd be amazed at how easy and fast you can go in a group)... so if you go with a group you might be surprised at your ability to make that 70 miles

I'm seriously considering doing the ms150 here next spring (180 miles over two days)... similar time till your ride... i'm at 35 miles tops right now but being on the gulf coast I should be able to get plenty of miles over the winter...

train hard and see where you stand... 5 months is a long way off and depending on how hard you want to push you could even be ready for 100.

but whatever you end up doing enjoy yourself and the ride
donalson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-13, 08:07 PM   #3
Phillyfan
Member
 
Phillyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
Decided to set a goal that means something, and raise some funds for a good cause in the process, so I registered for the Tour de Cure in March here in Florida. I'm going to try for the 50 mile route (I know I won't be ready for the 70 or 100 miles by then).

Should be an interesting journey towards being able to do 50.



Plenty of time to get the distance up. I've done 20 already, so 50 in 20 weeks is more than possible.

Matt
Matt, hit me up. Planning on doing at least the 50
Phillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-13, 11:18 PM   #4
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,192
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
I don't see why you're selling yourself short... you can definitely get ready for 100 miles by March.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-13, 06:42 PM   #5
CandSAdventures
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Texas
Bikes: Fuji Robaix, Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great Choice. I have done two. It is the only charity ride with a fund raising component that I do. I would imagine that every single person on BF is or is close to someone who is diabetic.

Have a good time! The one here puts on a good ride. You have plenty of time to train up to 70. It's not a race anyway so meet some more riders and enjoy yourself.
CandSAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-13, 09:49 AM   #6
Podagrower
Senior Member
 
Podagrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Gary Fisher Wahoo (hers), Jamis Coda Sport, Niner RLT9
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
So, a week after I tell my wife i'm not doing TDC this year, we have C/A riders talking about it. Last year was fun, but I realized around mile 45 that doing it solo was wrong. Matt, are you looking into doing it with a group from Florida Freewheelers? If there's already 2 clydes going, I may have lied to my wife.

Here's what I learned last year: Blow the first rest stop (I think this applies to most supported rides), it's too close to the start and if you need food or water this early, you may be in trouble. There wer 50 people waiting to use the port o lets at the first rest stop, and 1/2 mile up the road was several public restrooms with no lines, eat and ride at this point, you'll be ahead. Drafting with a pack is awesome, you can easily pick up a couple of MPH. Work on the hills, not there is much for hills on the route, but I still talk about blowing the doors off that scrawny chick headed up the one long hill. The last 10 miles sucked, I had only drafted to the first rest stop, then rode solo the rest of the route, and was worn out when I got to the end, hopefully a more comfortable bike and more pounds lost will make it better this year (already using words that indicate I'm going).
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 07:15 AM   #7
MattInFla 
Rolling roadblock
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Casselberry, FL
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Comp
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podagrower View Post
So, a week after I tell my wife i'm not doing TDC this year, we have C/A riders talking about it. Last year was fun, but I realized around mile 45 that doing it solo was wrong. Matt, are you looking into doing it with a group from Florida Freewheelers? If there's already 2 clydes going, I may have lied to my wife.

Here's what I learned last year: Blow the first rest stop (I think this applies to most supported rides), it's too close to the start and if you need food or water this early, you may be in trouble. There wer 50 people waiting to use the port o lets at the first rest stop, and 1/2 mile up the road was several public restrooms with no lines, eat and ride at this point, you'll be ahead. Drafting with a pack is awesome, you can easily pick up a couple of MPH. Work on the hills, not there is much for hills on the route, but I still talk about blowing the doors off that scrawny chick headed up the one long hill. The last 10 miles sucked, I had only drafted to the first rest stop, then rode solo the rest of the route, and was worn out when I got to the end, hopefully a more comfortable bike and more pounds lost will make it better this year (already using words that indicate I'm going).
I am signed up with the Florida Freewheelers team. I am not sure what pace they plan to ride, so I am not sure if I will be riding with the group or not. I'll probably ride with the group until I fall off the back.
__________________
With every ride, I get a little stronger. I gain a little stamina. I gain a little pride. And so I await the next ride...

Riding slow is not a sign of weakness. Quitting is.
MattInFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 07:18 AM   #8
MattInFla 
Rolling roadblock
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Casselberry, FL
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Comp
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I don't see why you're selling yourself short... you can definitely get ready for 100 miles by March.
It's possible. We'll see how the training goes. My longest ride to date is 20 miles, and at 340 pounds, I'm not exactly in shape (round doesn't count, even though it is technically a shape).

I'm going to work my distance up and we'll see where it takes me. My #1 concern here is that I do not want to be a burden on the event staff. I'd rather do a solid 50 that I know I can complete than do 60 and end up making the SAG schlep my wide butt the rest of the way.

Matt
__________________
With every ride, I get a little stronger. I gain a little stamina. I gain a little pride. And so I await the next ride...

Riding slow is not a sign of weakness. Quitting is.
MattInFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 11:00 AM   #9
Podagrower
Senior Member
 
Podagrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Gary Fisher Wahoo (hers), Jamis Coda Sport, Niner RLT9
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
So, I decided last weekend that I needed to know how far I could ride at my current level of fitness, after thinking about it for several weeks. The first problem was I decided this after I was on the road, the second problem was I really committed to distance about 5 miles past the only store on my route. I rode a pretty good 30 mile trip-the problem with that is I was still 20 miles from home and in trouble. For the first time since I started riding again, I called in the SAG wagon (thanks, honey). I managed another 8 uncomfortable miles before she caught up to me, which left me only about 2 miles from the store. I'm irritated with myself for not making it to the store, I probably could have fixed the cramps and starvation there and then limped it back home to complete the 50 miles. But live and learn I suppose. But, the steel frame still feels great, the B17 feels better every ride, and those Jones handlebars are awesome.

I've decided one of the things I need to correct in training for the distance is to take rest stops at the same intervals as TDC, so my body gets used to those amounts of time in the saddle. I want to ride the 70, but I will have to find a group to ride with.
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 07:45 PM   #10
the fly
Senior Member
 
the fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: the wall
Bikes:
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry about taking rest stops at the same intervals as the TDC. Just ride a bunch. Take plenty of food and water with you, stop when you need to, then start again. Maybe refill at a store if one's nearby.

I was in your shoes last year (though not quite as heavy, maybe 250) and I just upped the miles maybe 30, 35, 40 etc, until my regular ride was around 60 miles. Just lots of LSD. Started December with a few 50 mile rides (the farthest I'd ridden to that point) to prepare for the "Resolution Ride (50 miles)" they were having on New Years day. I'm from the flatlands and the TDC was going to be held in an area with alot more terrain, not really hilly, but more than I was used to. By the first week in January, I was up to 75 mile rides, and did a century by the end of the month. I was really pushing it because I signed up to do the 2 day version, 200+ miles.

Just make sure you don't overdo it. I think I kinda did, did a few rides in the area of the TDC, got a little cocky with my cycling, and ended up slacking off. Realized it was going to be superdifficult to do the 200, and chickened out.

Not sure if I'm going to try this year or not. At the time it was a big goal for me (recently diagnosed diabetic) and I felt like I had to prove something to myself. Since the summer I've had some muscle issues and my speed/endurance have really regressed. To me, centuries get really old out there by yourself. Not really physically, because once you can do 60 or so, it's all about nutrition/pacing. Boredom gets me riding alone, and ear buds are a definite no-no on an organized ride.

Anyway, I'm thinking Florida with some reasonable terrain 100 miler should be doable by march starting from where you're at now. Like others have said, if you manage to ride with a group, drafting is the absolute greatest thing since sliced bread. Watching the dud in front pedal like a madman, while you can coast quite a bit.
the fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 12:34 PM   #11
dhender02
Senior Member
 
dhender02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lederach, PA
Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
CONGRATULATIONS!! My first organized ride was the Tour de Cure in Philly and I LUV it!! Being a diabetic myself, I rode with Team Red. The ride in Philly has 4 courses, 3, 12, 35, 63, and 100 mile courses. I only did the 35 mile course because I started training in April and the ride was in June, just 3 months away. As a matter of fact prior to the ride, the farthest I had gone was 20 miles and that was only about once or twice. The TDC ride was AWESOME, but the last 10 miles my team members, and now friends, had to virtually "will" me back in but I made it. The day of my first TDC ride was unseasonably the hottest day of the summer at that time, 92+ degrees, hence me struggling the last 10 miles. So the main thing I would suggest is to hydrate, eat plenty, and hydrate. This year I plan on doing the 63m course, the metric century..

Honestly, the main thing is to have fun and enjoy yourself. Like me, I started my TDC ride with a team of other diabetics that were a team because of our illness, but I finished the ride with a group of friends! Friends that I've been riding with ever since!!
dhender02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 10:45 AM   #12
Podagrower
Senior Member
 
Podagrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Gary Fisher Wahoo (hers), Jamis Coda Sport, Niner RLT9
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Time to bump this thread back to the top. Two weeks to go, and I am woefully under prepared. Work has been very busy this winter, which is good, but there is not enough motivation at the end of the day to get on the bike. I think I'm going to be late to work the next 2 weeks so I can get an hour in in the morning.

How's everybody else's training going?
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 11:33 AM   #13
chriskmurray
Senior Member
 
chriskmurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Tour De Cure is a great one for sure! I have never rode it but have worked mechanical support a couple times. The people were always great to work with and it is obviously a great cause.
chriskmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 11:36 AM   #14
chriskmurray
Senior Member
 
chriskmurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podagrower View Post
Time to bump this thread back to the top. Two weeks to go, and I am woefully under prepared. Work has been very busy this winter, which is good, but there is not enough motivation at the end of the day to get on the bike. I think I'm going to be late to work the next 2 weeks so I can get an hour in in the morning.

How's everybody else's training going?
I wouldn't push too hard two weeks before the event, there is not a whole lot you can do to improve fitness at this point and you do not want to still be recovering the morning of the ride. What I would focus on is making sure you have your bike dialed fit wise and mechanically. On the ride the hardest part is riding your own pace and that is key to making it to the end in good spirits. If you remember to go at a pace that is comfortable for you and you are consistently taking in food and water chances are you will be just fine.
chriskmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 12:30 PM   #15
Black wallnut 
Senior Member
 
Black wallnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ellensburg,WA
Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux
Posts: 2,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Whatever you do in the next two weeks will not make you stronger on the day of your ride than you were a week ago. What you do can make you weaker and less prepared. Endurance activities are not like a test you can cram for. Proper rest, nutrition and hydration are the most important right before your ride. Take advantage of the rest stops along the route. Go at a pace you can sustain. Don't take too much time off at each top. You'll likely be able to finish but you may be sore and tired. Stay hydrated and well fed during the ride. After the ride make sure to keep hydrating. Then build upon this effort.
__________________
Sir Mark, Knight of Sufferlandria
Black wallnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 02:33 PM   #16
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,192
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black wallnut View Post
Whatever you do in the next two weeks will not make you stronger on the day of your ride than you were a week ago. What you do can make you weaker and less prepared. Endurance activities are not like a test you can cram for. Proper rest, nutrition and hydration are the most important right before your ride. Take advantage of the rest stops along the route. Go at a pace you can sustain. Don't take too much time off at each top. You'll likely be able to finish but you may be sore and tired. Stay hydrated and well fed during the ride. After the ride make sure to keep hydrating. Then build upon this effort.
QFT.

I would add that I think the night before the night before is the one I consider most critical for rest. (So Thursday night for a Saturday event.)
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 06:06 AM   #17
Podagrower
Senior Member
 
Podagrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Gary Fisher Wahoo (hers), Jamis Coda Sport, Niner RLT9
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskmurray View Post
I wouldn't push too hard two weeks before the event, there is not a whole lot you can do to improve fitness at this point and you do not want to still be recovering the morning of the ride. What I would focus on is making sure you have your bike dialed fit wise and mechanically. On the ride the hardest part is riding your own pace and that is key to making it to the end in good spirits. If you remember to go at a pace that is comfortable for you and you are consistently taking in food and water chances are you will be just fine.
Sorry, I misspoke (failed to mention) my goals and (revised) expectations. I wanted to make this TDC my first century, but have failed myself at executing my training plan. Our weekend ride is 37 miles, so a 50 mile ride is not a big leap, I wanted more. Revising my TDC plan down to a 50 mile ride is what I have done, spending an hour a day spinning will do little more than maintain where I am at.
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 08:37 AM   #18
chriskmurray
Senior Member
 
chriskmurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podagrower View Post
Sorry, I misspoke (failed to mention) my goals and (revised) expectations. I wanted to make this TDC my first century, but have failed myself at executing my training plan. Our weekend ride is 37 miles, so a 50 mile ride is not a big leap, I wanted more. Revising my TDC plan down to a 50 mile ride is what I have done, spending an hour a day spinning will do little more than maintain where I am at.
If it was me, I would have a friend willing to be on standby if you need picked up and give it a go anyways. One of my first ever centuries was very similar to that, I was unprepared and my long ride was well short of 100 miles, actually it was more like 20 miles on easy singletrack. It was rough but I made it to 100 miles that day. With that being said, some of us are more willing to suffer than others, if you like really pushing yourself physically go for it, if the joy of the accomplishment would not outweigh the mental lows you will hit then maybe take the shorter route. I just know I have surprised myself many times when I felt unprepared but that is really the time to remember to ride your own race.
chriskmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 10:58 AM   #19
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim
 
kjc9640's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Altamonte Springs, FL
Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
Posts: 2,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
It's possible. We'll see how the training goes. My longest ride to date is 20 miles, and at 340 pounds, I'm not exactly in shape (round doesn't count, even though it is technically a shape).

I'm going to work my distance up and we'll see where it takes me. My #1 concern here is that I do not want to be a burden on the event staff. I'd rather do a solid 50 that I know I can complete than do 60 and end up making the SAG schlep my wide butt the rest of the way.

Matt
Matt this is Jim Catlette from the Freewheelers For a Cure Team. I just saw your post and want to congratulate you on your choice to ride in The TdC. and thanks for you fund raising efforts. If I can be of any help to you please contact me. The above post offer some good advise, do your sped and distance, that is all anyone can ask for. I am looking forward to meeting you on March 16
kjc9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 08:26 AM   #20
Podagrower
Senior Member
 
Podagrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Gary Fisher Wahoo (hers), Jamis Coda Sport, Niner RLT9
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I picked up my packet yesterday afternoon and was rewarded with a nice low number this year, #168 . Now to decide on my red C/A jersey that I want to wear but will blend in with the red riders, or the neon yellow Biohazard jersey that will stand out like a sore thumb?
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 09:10 AM   #21
Black wallnut 
Senior Member
 
Black wallnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ellensburg,WA
Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux
Posts: 2,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Biohazard has my vote.
Is your Tour this weekend?
__________________
Sir Mark, Knight of Sufferlandria
Black wallnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 05:57 AM   #22
Podagrower
Senior Member
 
Podagrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Gary Fisher Wahoo (hers), Jamis Coda Sport, Niner RLT9
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black wallnut View Post
Biohazard has my vote.
Is your Tour this weekend?
I'm leaning towards obnoxious yellow as well. Yes, Lake Nona TDC is March 16th, one of the early dates.
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 04:00 AM   #23
Phillyfan
Member
 
Phillyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll be there. Riding with team Lockheed Martin, number 318. I'll be on a black Giant Defy
Phillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 09:26 AM   #24
Null66
Senior Member
 
Null66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Garner, NC 27529
Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podagrower View Post
So, a week after I tell my wife i'm not doing TDC this year, we have C/A riders talking about it. Last year was fun, but I realized around mile 45 that doing it solo was wrong. Matt, are you looking into doing it with a group from Florida Freewheelers? If there's already 2 clydes going, I may have lied to my wife.

Here's what I learned last year: Blow the first rest stop (I think this applies to most supported rides), it's too close to the start and if you need food or water this early, you may be in trouble. There wer 50 people waiting to use the port o lets at the first rest stop, and 1/2 mile up the road was several public restrooms with no lines, eat and ride at this point, you'll be ahead. Drafting with a pack is awesome, you can easily pick up a couple of MPH. Work on the hills, not there is much for hills on the route, but I still talk about blowing the doors off that scrawny chick headed up the one long hill. The last 10 miles sucked, I had only drafted to the first rest stop, then rode solo the rest of the route, and was worn out when I got to the end, hopefully a more comfortable bike and more pounds lost will make it better this year (already using words that indicate I'm going).
Uhm,
Just the lessons learned you have related would make it a much better ride!

But a NEW bike!
Null66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-14, 10:23 AM   #25
Black wallnut 
Senior Member
 
Black wallnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ellensburg,WA
Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux
Posts: 2,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
MattInFla how was your ride?
__________________
Sir Mark, Knight of Sufferlandria
Black wallnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 PM.