Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Kicking around a new bike - anyone heard of Fezzari? (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/926017-kicking-around-new-bike-anyone-heard-fezzari.html)

Chitown_Mike 12-13-13 12:04 PM

Kicking around a new bike - anyone heard of Fezzari?
 
So I am looking at new bikes and was eyeballing the base model Fezzari Catania. Tiagra shifters and FD, 105 RD. I really like the look of the bike, like really really. And if I had a higher budget I jump on the Catania Ultegra they have (same frame but red). Or if all my old paintball stuff sells I'll have a high budget!

Wanted to know if any one has had experience with them in the C&A area? I looked up elsewhere on BF but of course the different fanboy crowds chimed in and derail threads quickly with hypotheticals and such. I didn't feel like reading it. I know they were sold at Costco, my really old road bike I bought from Costco and loved it, but it was too small.

Anyway it is within by budget and my LBS has no interest in helping size a frame whereas a quick email to Fezzari got a response in less than 24 hours.

Catania: http://www.fezzari.com/performance/catania
Canatia Ultegra: http://www.fezzari.com/outlet-road-bike/catania-ultegra

bbeasley 12-13-13 03:01 PM

I don't have any experience with them but the add for the catania-ultegra is bothersome to me. The only thing Ultegra I saw was the rear derailleur. The rest seems to be 5700 series 105 stuff. I've got the 5700 series 105s on my bike and love it but it's not Ultegra. Just seems like they're not being very honest in their advertising.

jsigone 12-13-13 03:30 PM

I've seen a few pics of them, but not much reviews. For the price you can get name brand frame with a known good warranty program in case problems ever arise. I had a planet X frame, great salemanship, nice frame but when I had post sales questions I got crickets.

Some good options for a grand

http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-Bikes/...es-2-Bike-2013

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400306__400306

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400306__400306 (ultegra for a grand WHAAAT...if it fits)

Chitown_Mike 12-13-13 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbeasley (Post 16327668)
I don't have any experience with them but the add for the catania-ultegra is bothersome to me. The only thing Ultegra I saw was the rear derailleur. The rest seems to be 5700 series 105 stuff. I've got the 5700 series 105s on my bike and love it but it's not Ultegra. Just seems like they're not being very honest in their advertising.


Hmmm..true, somehow I missed that. I really would prefer the 105 shifters but the estimated budget doesn't allow for it. And I can upgrade those later. I really like the frame shape, paint, and the fact their frames come with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. I was looking at the Motobecane line but not too impressed, and bikesdirect seems to have a bad rap on BF.

Chitown_Mike 12-13-13 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16327728)
I've seen a few pics of them, but not much reviews. For the price you can get name brand frame with a known good warranty program in case problems ever arise. I had a planet X frame, great salemanship, nice frame but when I had post sales questions I got crickets.

Some good options for a grand

http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-Bikes/...es-2-Bike-2013

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400306__400306

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400306__400306 (ultegra for a grand WHAAAT...if it fits)


Thanks js, those are some good options except the last one. I'd need to be a lot shorter for a bike that small, haha!

I will have to keep my eyes on those sites. In no rush since waiting for a work bonus.

cyclist2000 12-15-13 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike (Post 16327735)
Hmmm..true, somehow I missed that. I really would prefer the 105 shifters but the estimated budget doesn't allow for it. And I can upgrade those later. I really like the frame shape, paint, and the fact their frames come with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. I was looking at the Motobecane line but not too impressed, and bikesdirect seems to have a bad rap on BF.

You kinda lost me here, the ultegra version comes with 105-5700 shifters, so why would you need to upgrade to them later? Also i took a brief look at the linked site but couldn't tell how long the company has been around. A lifetime warranty is only good as long as the company is around.

PhotoJoe 12-15-13 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike (Post 16327735)
I was looking at the Motobecane line but not too impressed, and bikesdirect seems to have a bad rap on BF.

I disagree, sorta. From my opinion, BD gets a bad rap from those who don't like the business model or buying bikes mail order. I don't remember seeing any negative posts from actual owners. Maybe they exist, but if they do, they're in the vast minority, from my memory.

I was ready to pull the trigger on one of their Ti options. My vanity won out and I wanted a name brand. I love my bike, but would have had no regrets buying a BD bike.

However, this doesn't mean it's the best move for you. Just throwing out my observations.

Chitown_Mike 12-15-13 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclist2000 (Post 16333002)
You kinda lost me here, the ultegra version comes with 105-5700 shifters, so why would you need to upgrade to them later? Also i took a brief look at the linked site but couldn't tell how long the company has been around. A lifetime warranty is only good as long as the company is around.

from what I could gather they have been around since the 90s. But that wasn't off info from their site, just what I read from owners who have owned their bikes for a while. Seems costco sold them when they first hit the market.



Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJoe (Post 16333039)
I disagree, sorta. From my opinion, BD gets a bad rap from those who don't like the business model or buying bikes mail order. I don't remember seeing any negative posts from actual owners. Maybe they exist, but if they do, they're in the vast minority, from my memory.

I was ready to pull the trigger on one of their Ti options. My vanity won out and I wanted a name brand. I love my bike, but would have had no regrets buying a BD bike.

However, this doesn't mean it's the best move for you. Just throwing out my observations.

I am still torn, BD has some nice bikes. And I am not one to shy away from repairing my own bikes anyway. Even thought about building my own frame up. Have until February anyway since I probably won't see a work bonus until then which is where the money is coming from.

TrojanHorse 12-16-13 12:07 AM

If you're bold you can buy a group kit, get a frame off ebay or something and piece your own bike together (ok, that's what I generally do but it's not for everyone.) Generally speaking, it's cheaper to buy a complete bike but as you noticed, they tend to cheap out on stuff that may not be obvious (calling a bike "ultegra" because it has an ultegra RD is pretty lame but you get the point.) Usually you get a crap crank and poor brakes and possibly ratty wheels too. Why pay twice for something?

Seriously, I think the highest recommendation possible would be that the 41 crowd doesn't like something. Ha! People who take the time to QC their BD bikes seem to end up in good shape. I see plenty of them on the roads around here.

Erwin8r 12-16-13 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJoe (Post 16333039)
I disagree, sorta. From my opinion, BD gets a bad rap from those who don't like the business model or buying bikes mail order. I don't remember seeing any negative posts from actual owners. Maybe they exist, but if they do, they're in the vast minority, from my memory.

I was ready to pull the trigger on one of their Ti options. My vanity won out and I wanted a name brand. I love my bike, but would have had no regrets buying a BD bike.

However, this doesn't mean it's the best move for you. Just throwing out my observations.

I second this. BD is a great way to buy an "assemble your own" good quality bike at a great price. I wouldn't hesitate for a second it I wanted one. I helped a friend assemble his fixie (a Mercier) and it is a great bike.

Motobecane ti bikes are sweet--I actually owned an aluminum MB MTB that was as good as any comparable big name bike at 2/3 the price...

PhotoJoe 12-16-13 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin8r (Post 16333404)
I second this. BD is a great way to buy an "assemble your own" good quality bike at a great price.

Just to be clear - "assemble your own" means:

1) Attach handle bars (pre wired)
2) Put on front wheel
3) Insert pre-assembled seat/stem combo, adjust height and tighten.

That's pretty much all you have to do to "assemble" a BD bike.

My Lynsey came the same way. Here it is:

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...y/IMG_3463.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...y/IMG_3465.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...y/IMG_3466.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...y/IMG_3467.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...y/IMG_3468.jpg

Took me about 15 minutes to put it together, and I was taking my time.

IBOHUNT 12-16-13 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbeasley (Post 16327668)
I don't have any experience with them but the add for the catania-ultegra is bothersome to me. The only thing Ultegra I saw was the rear derailleur. The rest seems to be 5700 series 105 stuff. I've got the 5700 series 105s on my bike and love it but it's not Ultegra. Just seems like they're not being very honest in their advertising.

Amazing how it can be 'Ultegra' just by adding the Ultegra RD.

Chitown_Mike 12-16-13 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin8r (Post 16333404)
I second this. BD is a great way to buy an "assemble your own" good quality bike at a great price. I wouldn't hesitate for a second it I wanted one. I helped a friend assemble his fixie (a Mercier) and it is a great bike.

Motobecane ti bikes are sweet--I actually owned an aluminum MB MTB that was as good as any comparable big name bike at 2/3 the price...

I have completely stripped and regreased both of my bikes several times. The only hesitation is sizing. I'd hate to get it wrong since I am not 100% sure how I will "fit" on a certain frame. But I do know I like a slightly larger frame than would fit me.



Quote:

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT (Post 16333996)
Amazing how it can be 'Ultegra' just by adding the Ultegra RD.

I liked that setup more for the color, however their base Catania has Tiagra shifters and I am hesitant to go with those over 105s. Or does anyone have an experience of Tiagra vs 105?

Otherwise there is the Gravity Pro on BD. Or my 2 favs the Motobecane Century Elite or Mercier Corvis Ultegra (not so much the color on the Mercier)....but those are ever so slightly out of my projected budget.

jsigone 12-16-13 11:41 AM

the current Tiagra is the old generation of 105's. Hoods are skinnier, external cable routing, shifting is bit chunky and more throw required on both paddles. The new 105 hood are wider, feels real comfy (very similar to SRAM), less chance of single pressure points unlike the older gen. Shifting requires very little throw on the small lever and bit more on the brake lever but VERY smooth. Personally I think it shifts faster then SRAM rival, but shifts faster in the wrong direction. I want faster shifting when trying to go faster, not to get into larger cogs like on climbs. That is my only gripe about 105's

I'd Aim to get 105s shifters & Rear D at $1000 price point, many deal out there at this time of yr and going early into next yr. Front D upgrade is only a $40 upgrade but never really needed. But post bike purchase, to changing from Tiagra to 105s will set you back at least $350 for shifters and rear D. So best to pay the $100 difference up front.

Chitown_Mike 12-16-13 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16334394)
the current Tiagra is the old generation of 105's. Hoods are skinnier, external cable routing, shifting is bit chunky and more throw required on both paddles. The new 105 hood are wider, feels real comfy (very similar to SRAM), less chance of single pressure points unlike the older gen. Shifting requires very little throw on the small lever and bit more on the brake lever but VERY smooth. Personally I think it shifts faster then SRAM rival, but shifts faster in the wrong direction. I want faster shifting when trying to go faster, not to get into larger cogs like on climbs. That is my only gripe about 105's

I'd Aim to get 105s shifters & Rear D at $1000 price point, many deal out there at this time of yr and going early into next yr. Front D upgrade is only a $40 upgrade but never really needed. But post bike purchase, to changing from Tiagra to 105s will set you back at least $350 for shifters and rear D. So best to pay the $100 difference up front.


Just the answer I was expecting, thanks for the confirmation jsi! Best part is my 30th b-day is in January so when people ask what I want (if they do) I let them know to just help fund my habit. :D So I am figuring with what I sell with my old paintball stuff and anything I get for my b-day or Christmas, plus a work bonus, I should have enough to get what I want plus have money for the rides I want to do next year.

donalson 12-16-13 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJoe (Post 16333848)
Just to be clear - "assemble your own" means:

1) Attach handle bars (pre wired)
2) Put on front wheel
3) Insert pre-assembled seat/stem combo, adjust height and tighten.

That's pretty much all you have to do to "assemble" a BD bike.

My Lynsey came the same way. Here it is:

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...y/IMG_3463.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...y/IMG_3465.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...y/IMG_3466.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...y/IMG_3467.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...y/IMG_3468.jpg

Took me about 15 minutes to put it together, and I was taking my time.


yup pretty much the same way every other manufacture sends their bikes to the LBS... which is just another place they save money they can pass on to the buyer...

Chitown_Mike 12-16-13 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donalson (Post 16334874)
yup pretty much the same way every other manufacture sends their bikes to the LBS... which is just another place they save money they can pass on to the buyer...


Hmmm...never thought of it that way, but so true.

jsigone 12-16-13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike (Post 16334799)
Just the answer I was expecting, thanks for the confirmation jsi! Best part is my 30th b-day is in January so when people ask what I want (if they do) I let them know to just help fund my habit. :D So I am figuring with what I sell with my old paintball stuff and anything I get for my b-day or Christmas, plus a work bonus, I should have enough to get what I want plus have money for the rides I want to do next year.

also another note, that even though the "current" tiagra is older 105's, some OEMs try to be tricky and slip in there the SUPER old 9spd tiagra. So the upgrade just costed you a 10spd cassette and chain. Pay attention to the spec sheets;)

Chitown_Mike 12-16-13 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16335055)
also another note, that even though the "current" tiagra is older 105's, some OEMs try to be tricky and slip in there the SUPER old 9spd tiagra. So the upgrade just costed you a 10spd cassette and chain. Pay attention to the spec sheets;)

I have only been looking at stuff with 10 speed cassettes simply because of reading about that somewhere else. But thanks for the reminder, just in case I get all excited about something that would bite me in the butt.

Richk 12-18-13 06:36 PM

I bought a single speed from BD. it was nice but the wheels were low end .if your on a low budget there not that bad. Since sold it to finance other wants and needs.

TrojanHorse 12-18-13 09:56 PM

Chitown, I think you're missing out on some potential hobby action here... I'm thinking paintball PLUS bicycle.

On your left? Forget that! Pew pew pew. Pass their paint riddled carcass and blow smoke from the barrel of your paint cannon.

Chitown_Mike 12-19-13 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16341878)
Chitown, I think you're missing out on some potential hobby action here... I'm thinking paintball PLUS bicycle.

On your left? Forget that! Pew pew pew. Pass their paint riddled carcass and blow smoke from the barrel of your paint cannon.


I see that happening more on a fixie than a road bike, haha. But great idea....might have to get some friends in on this.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 PM.