Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-13, 04:16 AM   #26
leeinmemphis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
congrats on the Roubaix and yes this can be a very expensive sport/hobby but it also has a direct relationship to your overall health/happiness. For me if I actually use the bike I don't mind paying whatever it takes for me to enjoy it more and use it more(within reason of course). While I'm mostly a recumbent guy I can totally relate. There are much worse hobbies that we could be out there doing. Having said that and as long as I can still afford it I don't see a problem spending $$$ on them.
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 05:49 AM   #27
Bosock
Senior Member
 
Bosock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very nice bike...you will have no remorse after a few rides on that baby.

Last edited by Bosock; 12-16-13 at 05:53 AM.
Bosock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 06:35 AM   #28
Lucillle
Lucille
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always thought that having a family does not mean one has to forever deny oneself things as long as the kids come first. But the kids are getting gifts, you bought the bike, what sort of gift is planned for your husband?
Lucillle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 08:59 AM   #29
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,957
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Just think how you are going to feel when you see that new ASPCA holiday commerical featuring "Silent Night" and shots of all the abused animals you could have helped with the money you spent on your new toy. Expect a call from Sara McLlachlan any time now.
indyfabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 09:07 AM   #30
PhotoJoe
Just Plain Slow
 
PhotoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Bikes: Lynskey R230
Posts: 5,565
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Congrats. Like EVERYONE else has said, no guilt required, unless it cut into paying the mortgage and now you, your family and your BEAUTIFUL new bike are going to be homeless!

Please post your ride impressions, especially as compared to your Ironman once you have some miles logged. The Roubaix is a commonly sought bike around here and your impressions will help others that follow! (Besides, I want the true story of how one really rides. I know TrojanHorse has one, but he's a fanboy! )
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not the sport for you!
PhotoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 09:57 AM   #31
JReade
Senior Member
 
JReade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maycat View Post
I researched upgrading it but I could get a new bike for what it would cost to upgrade the gearsets and wheels.

What kind of upgrades were you planning?
JReade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 12:45 PM   #32
Dunbar
Senior Member
 
Dunbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Nice bike, I have a soft spot for those matte black Roubaix's (I used to have one.) Any particular reason you didn't go for the women's specific version - the Ruby?

If you haven't picked the bike up yet consider having them install Dura Ace 9000 or Ultegra 6800 cables. I have them on my 105 equipped Roubaix and it makes a big difference in shift quality.

Last edited by Dunbar; 12-16-13 at 12:49 PM.
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 02:02 PM   #33
SethAZ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice bike! As everyone else has said, just ride the crap out of the bike and all is forgiven. Now, if the bike collects dust in the garage, then you can start feeling guilty.
SethAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 02:19 PM   #34
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi
 
Chitown_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maycat View Post
Hello everyone!

I am a tall 270 lb Athena, that is relatively fit but a big girl - I work out during the week and ride on the weekends. My goal is to do the Wildflower Century ride in 2014. Today is my birthday, I turn 43, and yesterday I bought myself a(nother) bike. A very sweet bike, a 2014 Specialized Robouix Sport 105. I have been cycling for the past 2 years off and on. A month ago I had a bad fall on my trusted roadbike,a 1988 David Scott Ironman. I love that bike, but the downtube shifters don't make me feel confident.

Anyway, I am picking up the new bike today. It is my birthday present to myself, as my husband informed me that because all his money will go towards my step-kid's Christmas gifts I won't be getting a birthday or Christmas present from him (love those December birthdays). I am feeling a lot of anxiety about this bike. I feel like how dare I get such an expensive bike? My husband supports me through this, but heck, it is a lot of money. Since I plan on doing the Wildflower Century ride next year. The other riders in my area have commented that the gearing on my Ironman isn't going to work on the hilly portion of the ride. I researched upgrading it but I could get a new bike for what it would cost to upgrade the gearsets and wheels.

I have spent the past month visiting every LBS around, researching bikes, and putting together my budget. I was planning on getting a cheaper Secteur, or find one on Craigslist, but this one showed up yesterday and after riding it, I could not say no to it. I got a great deal, it fits amazing and the LBS is taking good care of me. It is more than I was planning to spend, but financially, I can pull it off.

Today, I am picking up the bike but can't help but feel very guilty about what I am doing. Have any other Clydes or Athenas felt this way?


I am going through the EXACT same range of emotions. I am turning 30 at the end of January and have been eyeballing a new road bike since I smashed my last one in September of this year. My wife and I have had conversation about it, the cost, bills, and the fact we have our second on the way and she won't be working once that baby comes. I am looking at a career change, I lost a lot of weight so most of my clothes don't fit, and we aren't where we want to be financially just yet (not broke, everyone has shoes so relax all....).

However, despite all that, I am feeling like I do not "deserve" a new bike (or anything nice for that matter) but I also know that this will be an investment I will keep around for several years and upgrade parts as needed (or wanted).

Very glad to hear I am not the only one who has struggled with this.

And congrats on the bike, looks frickin' sweet!!
Chitown_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 10:32 PM   #35
Maycat
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Robaix Sport 105, 1966 Raleigh Sport Step Through, 1988 Centurian Dave Scott Ironman Master
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Nice bike, I have a soft spot for those matte black Roubaix's (I used to have one.) Any particular reason you didn't go for the women's specific version - the Ruby?

If you haven't picked the bike up yet consider having them install Dura Ace 9000 or Ultegra 6800 cables. I have them on my 105 equipped Roubaix and it makes a big difference in shift quality.

Thank you. I was originally going the get a Dolce 105, as it was much cheaper, but I am so tall and have a long torso, so it didn't fit at all. I was so sad and was looking around for another 105. When I showed up at the LBS ready to get the Secteur, it was a pleasant surprise that this one showed up the day before due to a bike swap. The only thing is the front derailer is Tiagra.

I will call them and see about installing those cables! One thing I didn't get is a bike computer. I am still trying to figure out which one to get. They only had a wierd blue wireless computer left.
Maycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 10:36 PM   #36
Maycat
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Robaix Sport 105, 1966 Raleigh Sport Step Through, 1988 Centurian Dave Scott Ironman Master
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallFront View Post
I'm not a Clyde or Athena, but I am in the ball park of you with regards to age (I am 40 for a couple more weeks, lol).I just bought an expensive bike: A Bullitt with Alfine 11s and with a kid's seat, box, and everything. I too felt a bit uneasy and guilty about it all, but truth be told, it gives me so much pleasure that it was worth it. I bike more than before, I use the bike several times a day, and I thoroughly enjoy it.

If it can get you out and enjoy yourself without having to force yourself or feel unsafe (I'm thinking of the downtube shifters), I think you needn't feel guilty.
Thank you SmallFront, I am excited about your bike! It sounds like it is amazing, and very practical. I would love to live in Copenhagen and ride a bike everywhere. Happy Birthday!
Maycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 10:39 PM   #37
Maycat
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Robaix Sport 105, 1966 Raleigh Sport Step Through, 1988 Centurian Dave Scott Ironman Master
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Just bought new bike and feeling guilty...

You should feel guilty.....You are getting behind.

Bought Two new bikes last year.

Bought Two used bikes this year.

Haha! 10 Wheels! That is awesome!
Maycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 10:42 PM   #38
Maycat
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Robaix Sport 105, 1966 Raleigh Sport Step Through, 1988 Centurian Dave Scott Ironman Master
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReade View Post
What kind of upgrades were you planning?

I would love to upgrade to brifters/shimano brake shifters, but since it is a 7 x 2 the lbs mechanics said I couldn't do that without replacing the wheelsets/ cogs to 8 or 9. They said I could do bar end shifters. As I was riding this it was just to hard to shift. I got used to them, but it is nothing like the ease of shifting with this bike. I may still upgrade it and get my husband to ride it.
Maycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 10:44 PM   #39
Maycat
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Robaix Sport 105, 1966 Raleigh Sport Step Through, 1988 Centurian Dave Scott Ironman Master
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Just think how you are going to feel when you see that new ASPCA holiday commerical featuring "Silent Night" and shots of all the abused animals you could have helped with the money you spent on your new toy. Expect a call from Sara McLlachlan any time now.
Hilarious! Indyfabz, we have rescued SO MANY animals in the past few years, our karma is golden right now! Another good reason to get a bike.
Maycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 10:56 PM   #40
Maycat
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Robaix Sport 105, 1966 Raleigh Sport Step Through, 1988 Centurian Dave Scott Ironman Master
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
I've always thought that having a family does not mean one has to forever deny oneself things as long as the kids come first. But the kids are getting gifts, you bought the bike, what sort of gift is planned for your husband?
My stepkids are getting a bunch of stuff, despite the fact that they have been pretty naughty teenagers. My husband is getting a tablet and a bike helmet so he can ride with me! Of course, cost wise this bike is much more than any present I could buy for anyone.

Even my special birthday dinner ended up being a disaster, and I had to toughen up and think of this bike otherwise I would have started crying and have a pity-party. I was thinking it was going to get better the next day, and went to have dinner with my parents and sister and it turned out they made the main course with what I am horrifically allergic too! They were asking how allergic was I, and I had to explain how I would need to call in sick when I had a reaction, and they said that it would be an excuse to get off work. So I just went to the store and bought my own food! Then I drank a bunch of wine and was all better. The more I think about it, the better this bike is, because although my husband and family love me, no one is going to take care of me except for myself. I work 50 + hours a week, and spend my time off caring for my husband and (sometimes difficult) stepkids, so I can justify this purchase.
Maycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 11:06 PM   #41
Dunbar
Senior Member
 
Dunbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maycat View Post
I will call them and see about installing those cables! One thing I didn't get is a bike computer. I am still trying to figure out which one to get. They only had a wierd blue wireless computer left.
If you don't wear reading glasses I'd suggest the Cateye Strada Double Wireless on Amazon for ~$65. If you ever plan on getting a power meter it might be cheaper in the long run to get a Garmin.
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 08:08 AM   #42
JReade
Senior Member
 
JReade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maycat View Post
I would love to upgrade to brifters/shimano brake shifters, but since it is a 7 x 2 the lbs mechanics said I couldn't do that without replacing the wheelsets/ cogs to 8 or 9. They said I could do bar end shifters. As I was riding this it was just to hard to shift. I got used to them, but it is nothing like the ease of shifting with this bike. I may still upgrade it and get my husband to ride it.
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-ST-A07...ourney+shifter

Any mechanic can lock out the 3rd click on the front. Do you have a co-op near you? I bet you could have this upgraded to similar shifting for your husband for ~100-120 dollars.
JReade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 12:37 PM   #43
Maycat
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Robaix Sport 105, 1966 Raleigh Sport Step Through, 1988 Centurian Dave Scott Ironman Master
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReade View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-ST-A07...ourney+shifter

Any mechanic can lock out the 3rd click on the front. Do you have a co-op near you? I bet you could have this upgraded to similar shifting for your husband for ~100-120 dollars.
Thank you for sharing this. I was told be a LBS mechanic that this is problematic with the 7 speed cog. I will take it to someone else, and get a new helmet for hubby. Supposedly the 600x components are pretty nice with the Ironman David Scott Expert.
Maycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 07:04 AM   #44
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,957
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maycat View Post
Hilarious! Indyfabz, we have rescued SO MANY animals in the past few years, our karma is golden right now! Another good reason to get a bike.

We have a rescue cat that's as big as many small dogs. FIV+, so he was hard to place.

I think you might like this. (Profanity warning):

indyfabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 01:57 PM   #45
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,
Posts: 3,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Guilty, no way. Enjoy your ride, pedal it till you have to replace the tires, repeat. My new enduro ( 29er mountain) cost 3 large. Painted the house this summer, saved 6 large. It goes well with the 8 other bikes in my garage. You can't put price tag on health and fitness.
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 04:20 PM   #46
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles
 
Daspydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Posts: 5,352
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Congrats on the bike and your goals, I am rooting for you.

I always feel guilty spending money on myself. But when you spread out the cost over the years that you own the bike and the emotional and physical benefits as well as meeting a few people. biking is a tremendous value. ENJOY and Happy Birthday!
__________________
I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 11:45 AM   #47
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: N+1=5
Posts: 2,770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maycat View Post
My stepkids are getting a bunch of stuff, despite the fact that they have been pretty naughty teenagers. My husband is getting a tablet and a bike helmet so he can ride with me! Of course, cost wise this bike is much more than any present I could buy for anyone.

Even my special birthday dinner ended up being a disaster, and I had to toughen up and think of this bike otherwise I would have started crying and have a pity-party. I was thinking it was going to get better the next day, and went to have dinner with my parents and sister and it turned out they made the main course with what I am horrifically allergic too! They were asking how allergic was I, and I had to explain how I would need to call in sick when I had a reaction, and they said that it would be an excuse to get off work. So I just went to the store and bought my own food! Then I drank a bunch of wine and was all better. The more I think about it, the better this bike is, because although my husband and family love me, no one is going to take care of me except for myself. I work 50 + hours a week, and spend my time off caring for my husband and (sometimes difficult) stepkids, so I can justify this purchase.

Ok, if you're feeling guilty about doing something for yourself after all of that, you need serious psychotherapy.

J.
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 12:28 AM   #48
Maycat
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Robaix Sport 105, 1966 Raleigh Sport Step Through, 1988 Centurian Dave Scott Ironman Master
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
Ok, if you're feeling guilty about doing something for yourself after all of that, you need serious psychotherapy.

J.

LOL! Yep! Meet my new Psychotherapist, Dr. Roubaix...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small bike robaix 2.jpg (55.9 KB, 29 views)
Maycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 12:30 AM   #49
Maycat
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Robaix Sport 105, 1966 Raleigh Sport Step Through, 1988 Centurian Dave Scott Ironman Master
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
We have a rescue cat that's as big as many small dogs. FIV+, so he was hard to place.

I think you might like this. (Profanity warning):

Funny! Thank you for the laugh!
Maycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 01:03 AM   #50
catonec 
Senior Member
 
catonec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: burlington VT.
Bikes:
Posts: 2,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2k worth of upgrades???

nice specialized, happy riding.

as far as the guilt, dont sweat it. so long as you can afford it and your not depriving your children of food for it then why not spend some cash and spoil yourself a little.
__________________
2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
1997 Trek ZX6000, 6061w/manitou spyder, xt/xtr, time atac
catonec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:59 AM.