Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 62 of 62
  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2012 Rockhopper 29 comp, 2013 Caad10-3
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditched the fizik arione r3. Got a specialized romin expert 155. Night and day difference.

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakiwi View Post
    The difficult thing is if it takes 1500 miles which saddle do you start with.
    Start with a saddle that's comfortable now! If it becomes uncomfortable in the future, replace it with a different one...

  3. #53
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,368
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only say about what my backside tolerates .. for the really leave home and go touring trips
    have a Brooks Pro I got 30 years ago .

    in the wet, parked outside I have a different choice..
    Vitesse, by Fizik.. on a thudbuster seatpost. living under a Plastic Bag..

  4. #54
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I'll chime in on this one because I just bought a new saddle Friday. Being 5'11" and 260 I'm no lycra loving billy goat and want to tour. So I found a shop that had a Brooks B 17 and was 20% off. That sealed the deal and I bought it with their way over priced cream. I put it on the bike and said "wow!" I hope it doesn't break in too much because I rode 1.5 hours the first day and another hour the second day. Made the normall adjustments but it felt right from the first go. I really feel a saddle is a "go"or "no go" just like shoes. Yes a little break in but the first feel should give a good idea of what's to come.


    Joe

  5. #55
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,039
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fujione View Post
    I really feel a saddle is a "go"or "no go" just like shoes.
    Well, that depends - I can tolerate a lot of saddles for less than 30 miles but 80+ is a whole different story.

  6. #56
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    Well, that depends - I can tolerate a lot of saddles for less than 30 miles but 80+ is a whole different story.
    Yes this is true to a degree. I have it with my Rt1200 saddle feels great for the first 2 hours then downhill. So I know I will need to have it rebuilt. But why would a person buy something like a saddle/shoes if it didn't feel good at first? For me that seems to be a good way to learn it never felt good and it never got better. That sounds like my first marriage. Lol

    joe.

  7. #57
    Bulky Bullet Sayre Kulp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    My Bikes
    Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure is! Check out RANS.
    "Obstacles don't like me very much. I make them look bad."

  8. #58
    Senior Member Soo__Fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this saddle


  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, no saddle can be comfortable if a rider have weak legs. Most of the body support comes from legs. When my legs gets tired, I "sit" on the saddle instead of "riding" it. Sitting on a saddle creates too much pressure and is never comfortable.
    65% of all statistics are made up on the spot. - DD

  10. #60
    Just Keep Pedaling Beachgrad05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    My Bikes
    99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 14 Bianchi Vigarelli
    Posts
    2,104
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say "yes" with a caveat. I found one for me. So there is such a thing...for ME.

    Mine is the Fizik Vesta.
    http://www.tofighthiv.org/site/TR/Events/AIDSLifeCycleCenter?px=2914622&pg=personal&fr_id=1770

  11. #61
    Senior Member Black wallnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ellensburg,WA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux
    Posts
    1,819
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenturionIM View Post
    IMHO, no saddle can be comfortable if a rider have weak legs. Most of the body support comes from legs. When my legs gets tired, I "sit" on the saddle instead of "riding" it. Sitting on a saddle creates too much pressure and is never comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Potato View Post
    Not one mention of core strength or flexibility and learning how to sit on a bike and not sitting on a saddle?

    It's not a bar stool.

    Shame.
    I can understand where this kind of thinking comes from but I do not agree with it based on my experience. At my weight and average speed/cadence paired with the distances I have comfortably ridden it is my sit bones that carries the vast majority of my weight. If your legs are holding your weight up IMHO you are either riding at near peak watts or overly mashing.

    I have found that a Specialized Riva works for me and does not break the bank. Works for me for 201 miles in a day and everything short of that. One of the guys at my LBS agrees that it is one saddle that he is going to start recommending people try first as it just seems to work. What this means to you is maybe nothing and maybe everything. Saddle comfort is a very personal thing.


    Mark

  12. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black wallnut View Post
    I can understand where this kind of thinking comes from but I do not agree with it based on my experience. At my weight and average speed/cadence paired with the distances I have comfortably ridden it is my sit bones that carries the vast majority of my weight. If your legs are holding your weight up IMHO you are either riding at near peak watts or overly mashing.

    I have found that a Specialized Riva works for me and does not break the bank. Works for me for 201 miles in a day and everything short of that. One of the guys at my LBS agrees that it is one saddle that he is going to start recommending people try first as it just seems to work. What this means to you is maybe nothing and maybe everything. Saddle comfort is a very personal thing.
    I am not disregarding the saddle part of the comfort equation, but just pointing out legs plays a very big role. You don't need to be riding very fast or smashing. There are bikes that make you sit up like hybrids, but I tend to ride longer distances on average ~8 miles and will never choose hybrids anyway. but then, i have weak legs...

    I have Spec Riva on two bikes and they definitely work. But nothing more.
    65% of all statistics are made up on the spot. - DD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •