Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-14, 07:37 PM   #26
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
This happened to me last year, I was riding up a short but steep hill with my son
Driveway again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
... I assumed bad.
With age the hearing goes, trust me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
You and @eja_ bottecchia are out in front (ahem) but I find that as I get older I care less and less what other people think. Part of it is being comfortable with who you are of course.
My give a damn has been busted for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
You're not fat anymore you skinny ba*W@&^rd.
Be easy on the kid. They have metabolism on their side... for now.
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 08:17 PM   #27
JackoDandy
Senior Member
 
JackoDandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PNW - USA
Bikes:
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ive had many a comment on my biking travels. Most screamed as they zoom by in their trucks. Ive had cars come over the center-line towards me, Ive had cars scream at me and then wait by the side of the road a 1/4 mile ahead. I really am quite amazed how angry and offensive people can be. I never instigate anything nor do I ride against the road rules. I'm just a fat cyclist and for some people thats too much to stand.
I think fat-people are the last safe group to be prejudice against in public.
JackoDandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 08:59 PM   #28
nymtber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY state
Bikes: See Signature...
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
This happened to me last year, I was riding up a short but steep hill with my son... Some guy leaned out the window of his panel van and yelled something, I assumed bad. My son (he was directing it at my son) said he said "You can do it!"
Based on where it was (a popular bike route) I only assume the guy in the truck was a cyclist himself and could see me pushing it a bit...

I say ignore the "looks" and just realize your probably more dedicated than them
nymtber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 09:47 PM   #29
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK LP View Post
That too.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 06:39 AM   #30
PhotoJoe
Just Plain Slow
 
PhotoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Bikes: Lynskey R230
Posts: 5,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I get to ride with a small group of people every so often. There's this one clown that rides with us who makes comments about my bike, how slow I am, etc. I've learned to ignore him, though. Actually, I use it as motivation. I figure the faster I ride, the sooner I'll get to the top where he'll no doubt have been for quite a while and be well rested, and once I regain consciousness, I think about how I'd kick [strike]TrojanHorse's[/strike] his ass.

OK, in all seriousness, I did two rides while on chemo. On the first one, two idiots from the local snobby club passed me and made comments "to each other" loud enough that they wanted me to hear them. One said something about me being Lance Armstrong in my kit. OK, old mountain bike, riding really slowly and obviously not looking strong, I can see his point. Then the other said, "Yah, and he shaves his legs, too!". I just chuckled thinking, It's a beautiful day. I'm out riding. AND I DON'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH LIFE BEING THEM!!!!! What a relief that was!
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not the sport for you!
PhotoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 07:57 AM   #31
nanners1955
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord NH
Bikes: Trek hybrid
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am more than ready for the resolutions to wear off also. No parkings spaces at the gym. Did 4 roundy rounds last night and ended up in a no parking zone.(someone else parked there and left) I almost went home, glad I didnt as I was doing weight workout and everyone was doing cardio pretty much. Actually got my routine done pretty quickly.I am a gray haired almost 59 y/o who is also over 200 still and I think the 20 somethings dont think I am serious.Tired of people doing a set and then sitting there on the equipment while checking there phone or texting or girls redoing their ponytail for the 5th time.I finally got my DH to join but I know he is totally frustrated with the crowds
nanners1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 10:31 AM   #32
CommuteCommando
Senior Member
 
CommuteCommando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern CaliFORNIA.
Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Posts: 3,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
I thought the quote was: "Life is too short to drink cheap Scotch!"

One of my engineering professors, Karl, from Stuttgart, had a bumper sticker on his Golf that read "Life is Too Short to Drink Cheap Beer".
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 10:47 AM   #33
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 10,956
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe View Post
I get to ride with a small group of people every so often. There's this one clown that rides with us who makes comments about my bike, how slow I am, etc. I've learned to ignore him, though. Actually, I use it as motivation. I figure the faster I ride, the sooner I'll get to the top where he'll no doubt have been for quite a while and be well rested, and once I regain consciousness, I think about how I'd kick [strike]TrojanHorse's[/strike] his ass.
I see what you did there. You, um, actually pedal that thing lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe View Post
OK, in all seriousness, I did two rides while on chemo. On the first one, two idiots from the local snobby club passed me and made comments "to each other" loud enough that they wanted me to hear them. One said something about me being Lance Armstrong in my kit. OK, old mountain bike, riding really slowly and obviously not looking strong, I can see his point. Then the other said, "Yah, and he shaves his legs, too!". I just chuckled thinking, It's a beautiful day. I'm out riding. AND I DON'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH LIFE BEING THEM!!!!! What a relief that was!
What a commentary on why people shouldn't be so judgmental. Wow.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 11:06 AM   #34
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
You're not fat. You're big boned.
indyfabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 11:47 AM   #35
Null66
Senior Member
 
Null66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Garner, NC 27529
Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Every gym has...
  1. the gym rats who don't care much what you think of them and vice versa
  2. the jocks who want to win at everything and see you as a loser
  3. the fitness resolution people, especially this time of year
If a guy has his kid at the gym he is probably #2 , they want their kids to beat other kids too. Ask him how his ACL surgery went, they've all had one
THIS!!!

and #2 is kinda pathetic... At least I think so....
Null66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 12:12 PM   #36
Erwin8r
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
I turn up the IPOD and get in my zone & hammer out what the day calls for, drink a recovery shake on the way home and repeat next day.
That's 'cause you can drop 'em like a bad habit... But what about the rest of us mere mortals?? Lol!!

Seriously, though, it's tough not to let it bother you--I know first hand. But the outcome is in our hands, and we're out there doing it instead of just wishing we were. So crank up the iPod, imagine yourself talking to that hot chick, and get your mojo on!
Erwin8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 06:59 PM   #37
Cycle Babble
Senior Member
 
Cycle Babble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Just south of the Northern Border
Bikes: 1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C, 2013 Orbea H20
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
So crank up the iPod, imagine yourself talking to that hot chick, and get your mojo on!
Erwin8r,
This is great advice except the part about imagining talking to a hot chick.....if I do that, my workout would be cut short due to a serious case of muscle stiffness.

John S
Cycle Babble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 11:51 PM   #38
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Babble View Post
Erwin8r,
This is great advice except the part about imagining talking to a hot chick.....if I do that, my workout would be cut short due to a serious case of muscle stiffness.

John S
IT is not a muscle...just saying!
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 02:17 AM   #39
digibud
Senior Member
 
digibud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Further North than U
Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Posts: 1,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far I've only had compliments, but I've got a white beard and that gets smiles. In a race two years ago I was on an uphill portion (that resulted in a minor stroke when I got to the top!) and I was being rapidly passed by a young gal who smiled and said, "good going old man!" with a big smile. I felt a bit bad after I kicked out and sent her to the ground but it was just a gut reaction. Just kidding. I laughed a bit but didn't have enough breathe to reply. That race ended any question as to whether I'd make a real effort... I'm sure some of us 'feel' we are being badly judged when we aren't but there's nothing much to be done about rude comments other than to use them to help us redouble our effort to get healthier, fitter and faster.
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 01:07 PM   #40
Null66
Senior Member
 
Null66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Garner, NC 27529
Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMAMRA View Post
And your dirty looks at the gym only make me push harder! Had some looks and whispers at the gym last night, but they were gone before I was done with my workout(two hours of cardio).

Anyone else deal with this?
And they're mean.
You can lose weight...
Can they be nice?
Null66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 01:28 PM   #41
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymtber View Post
I've had people yell stuff out car windows, but never could understand them. Except ONE guy. Guess what he said?

"Keep it up your doing great!" As I was climbing a pretty steep but not horribly long hill down near the lake.

Gyms? Nope I'd have to drive 20-25 minutes out of my way. With gas at $3.65/gallon, NO THANKS. I have an exercise bike and "total gym pro" in the basement. No one gives me funny looks. But I do see the looks when I am out on my road bike. Whatever, You keep sitting in your car driving everywhere and eating whoppers and I'll keep riding my bike and eating somewhat healthy. See who lives longer and is happier
Sorry, but IMO you have completely the wrong attitude about this. It is evident that you do care what people yell by what you have written, and that's ok. Own it. We are a social animal. I admit, positive reinforcement would feel better, but you can use negative energy to push yourself to your goals as well. Obviously at some time in the past you weren't quite as disciplined as you are at present? So why hate on the whopper eaters? That's hypocrisy. I also have to say... as a weight loss strategy street biking sucks. Rocks. it's too efficient and too environment limited both at the same time. If you are losing weight, its because of other positive changes you have made in your lifestyle. Cardio that will actually melt the fat off? Well running is probably number one, even urban running, but its high impact. Ouch! Elliptical? Rower? Exercise bike? All better because you can dial in a certain amount of resistance AND you can slog away at your workout without worrying about traffic lights, cross traffic, pedestrians, low flying aircraft... FWIW

H
Leisesturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-14, 08:11 AM   #42
Null66
Senior Member
 
Null66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Garner, NC 27529
Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Sorry, but IMO you have completely the wrong attitude about this. It is evident that you do care what people yell by what you have written, and that's ok. Own it. We are a social animal. I admit, positive reinforcement would feel better, but you can use negative energy to push yourself to your goals as well. Obviously at some time in the past you weren't quite as disciplined as you are at present? So why hate on the whopper eaters? That's hypocrisy. I also have to say... as a weight loss strategy street biking sucks. Rocks. it's too efficient and too environment limited both at the same time. If you are losing weight, its because of other positive changes you have made in your lifestyle. Cardio that will actually melt the fat off? Well running is probably number one, even urban running, but its high impact. Ouch! Elliptical? Rower? Exercise bike? All better because you can dial in a certain amount of resistance AND you can slog away at your workout without worrying about traffic lights, cross traffic, pedestrians, low flying aircraft... FWIW

H
attitude advice is good, but not the weight loss.

Studies show long duration (>3 hours) cardio is best at fat loss, especially visceral fat. Short duration steady state cardio that most associate with the machines you mention the least effective.

We are not simple machines where simple calorie math determines outcome. We are complex systems which seek stability at set points. Hormone response is profoundly important in metabolism and weight. Different activities have different hormonal responses.

Real world examples of this abound on this site.
Null66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-14, 12:08 PM   #43
ChuckD6421 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Babble View Post
I belong to Planet Fitness as well and even though they say the gym is a 'No Judgement Zone' when people look at you....you know they have to be thinking something (At least I do). I simply do not let it bother me. I just think of all the overweight folks out there who do nothing about their health an realize I am one step ahead of them.

John S
I would suggest you've already let it distract you by feeling the need to formulate a response. Don't let it get to that point or find a quieter time to work out, or figure out why you want to be in the gym in the first place.

In my younger years I spent a lot of time working in "health clubs" and eventually found too much overlap between the scenes there and what I saw in the bars/clubs. In the winter I go to the Y a couple times a week for group spin sessions, a truly no-judgement zone and otherwise I can be found on the back roads, by myself, alone with my ambitions.
ChuckD6421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-14, 01:10 PM   #44
nymtber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY state
Bikes: See Signature...
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD6421 View Post
I would suggest you've already let it distract you by feeling the need to formulate a response. Don't let it get to that point or find a quieter time to work out, or figure out why you want to be in the gym in the first place.

In my younger years I spent a lot of time working in "health clubs" and eventually found too much overlap between the scenes there and what I saw in the bars/clubs. In the winter I go to the Y a couple times a week for group spin sessions, a truly no-judgement zone and otherwise I can be found on the back roads, by myself, alone with my ambitions.
Exactly.

In fact, the people I work with who workout a lot, are usually the party folks... Guess you have to work off all those empty calories!

Last edited by nymtber; 01-25-14 at 01:14 PM.
nymtber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 12:24 PM   #45
Null66
Senior Member
 
Null66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Garner, NC 27529
Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanners1955 View Post
I am more than ready for the resolutions to wear off also. No parkings spaces at the gym. Did 4 roundy rounds last night and ended up in a no parking zone.(someone else parked there and left) I almost went home, glad I didnt as I was doing weight workout and everyone was doing cardio pretty much. Actually got my routine done pretty quickly.I am a gray haired almost 59 y/o who is also over 200 still and I think the 20 somethings dont think I am serious.Tired of people doing a set and then sitting there on the equipment while checking there phone or texting or girls redoing their ponytail for the 5th time.I finally got my DH to join but I know he is totally frustrated with the crowds

Ah, resolutionists...

The sweetest thing happened to my 13 year old Daughter last month.

She was lifting on one type of machines (I on a different type)... A 20-something male resolutionist, camped on a machine she went to another machine. When done, he was still on the phone. She stands there a while, waiting, waiting... Still he camps.

One of the regulars I know by sight and say "hey" to... OBTW, he's not tall but he's HUUUGE... Walks over to the camper, Says in a convincing voice... "Excuse me"... The camper bails rapidly. He smiles at my daughter and goes back to his workout...
Null66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 12:34 PM   #46
nanners1955
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Concord NH
Bikes: Trek hybrid
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Null66 View Post
Ah, resolutionists...

The sweetest thing happened to my 13 year old Daughter last month.

She was lifting on one type of machines (I on a different type)... A 20-something male resolutionist, camped on a machine she went to another machine. When done, he was still on the phone. She stands there a while, waiting, waiting... Still he camps.

One of the regulars I know by sight and say "hey" to... OBTW, he's not tall but he's HUUUGE... Walks over to the camper, Says in a convincing voice... "Excuse me"... The camper bails rapidly. He smiles at my daughter and goes back to his workout...
Awww that is so awesome!
nanners1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 12:57 PM   #47
Cycle Babble
Senior Member
 
Cycle Babble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Just south of the Northern Border
Bikes: 1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C, 2013 Orbea H20
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a guy at my gym who fit the definition of 'HUUUGE'. One day I walked up to him and said, "When you feel up to it, I would be willing to do a shoulder workout with you." He looked at me and smiled "Sure." Well that workout has not yet happened, but we say hi to each other when we pass by. It is nice to have a few of those big guys on your side in case you need them.

John S
Cycle Babble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:00 AM.