Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-14, 08:31 PM   #1
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
Thread Starter
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 10,930
Went saddle shopping tonight...

I went to a fairly hoity toity bike shop not too far from me - no trek, specialized, or cannondale to be found in that establishment! I asked if I could bring my populist bike in, they were cool about it. Actually, the owners were extremely friendly and helpful, just how you want your LBS to be.

Anyway, I wanted to demo some saddles but they only demo Fizik, and I got it into my head that I wanted to try the Selle Italia ID Match thing, where they measure your hips, your leg circumference & your flexibility. Turns out I'm an L3, which apparently means I'm a lardass with flexible hips. Science!

I await my new SLR Superflow L's arrival - it's probably for the best that they didn't have exactly the one I wanted or I'd have put it on and rode my century on Saturday with it, which is probably not a very good idea.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 12:34 AM   #2
digibud
Senior Member
 
digibud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Further North than U
Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Posts: 1,865
I hope it works out great but keep in mind it will take quite a few miles before you really know if you like it or not. I have half a dozen saddles and I always figure about 200mi before I know if I really like a saddle. Let us know if the evaluation worked out. It would be great to learn there is a "system" for predicting what kind of saddle will fit what kind of person.
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 01:12 AM   #3
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
Thread Starter
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 10,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by digibud View Post
I hope it works out great but keep in mind it will take quite a few miles before you really know if you like it or not. I have half a dozen saddles and I always figure about 200mi before I know if I really like a saddle. Let us know if the evaluation worked out. It would be great to learn there is a "system" for predicting what kind of saddle will fit what kind of person.
I'm hoping! I have a Romin Evo now, and it's very good, but I suffer when the mileage is greater than say, 70. Under 50 it's fantastic! I agree though, it would be nice to know there's a system out there that works. I do know a lot of people who like their selle italia saddles, hopefully I'll be one by next weekend.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 02:08 AM   #4
Erwin8r
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,016
I have the super flow on one of my bikes and am not sure if I love it (not enough miles on it to tell yet). I'm very curious about the SMP, but have just not come around to buying one yet. I do know that I'm not thrilled with the Syncros currently on my road bike, so I'm going to try an Arione VS next...
Erwin8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 03:57 AM   #5
therunt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez comp, 2011 Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 20
I popped into my local lbs today as well, looking for a new saddle to put on my mtb/commuter. I'm looking for something more akin to the body geometry saddle that is on my Specialized Allez. It might be that I've just gotten so used to the feel of the Allez's saddle, but when I'm on my mtb, which has a wider saddle, my butt will start hurting on any rides over five miles. The guy helping me seamed convinced that I needed a wider seat because of my size - I'm 6'2" 320 - but I'm not so convinced.
therunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 04:33 AM   #6
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: one for everything
Posts: 8,371
gonna break in the new saddle at TdP this saturday?
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 04:48 AM   #7
Silvercivic27
Senior Member
 
Silvercivic27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott
Posts: 2,034
Actually, L3 means you're a lardass with an inflexible spine, lol (the usual situation) so you rotate your pelvis instead of bending your spine. I'm the same.

I have a Superflow. It's sitting in a cabinet in my garage. It was probably the second best saddle I've tried. I've switched to Koobi PRS Century. Koobi saddles are made by selle italia anyway. One that I would be interested to try is the Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow. Good luck with your quest!
Silvercivic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 04:52 AM   #8
Silvercivic27
Senior Member
 
Silvercivic27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott
Posts: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
I have the super flow on one of my bikes and am not sure if I love it (not enough miles on it to tell yet). I'm very curious about the SMP, but have just not come around to buying one yet. I do know that I'm not thrilled with the Syncros currently on my road bike, so I'm going to try an Arione VS next...
My issue with the VS was that the channel wasn't wide enough, so my parts still went numb. There are those new ones with the wider channel though.
Silvercivic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 04:56 AM   #9
Silvercivic27
Senior Member
 
Silvercivic27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott
Posts: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by therunt View Post
I popped into my local lbs today as well, looking for a new saddle to put on my mtb/commuter. I'm looking for something more akin to the body geometry saddle that is on my Specialized Allez. It might be that I've just gotten so used to the feel of the Allez's saddle, but when I'm on my mtb, which has a wider saddle, my butt will start hurting on any rides over five miles. The guy helping me seamed convinced that I needed a wider seat because of my size - I'm 6'2" 320 - but I'm not so convinced.
There's really little downside to going too wide except that you will chafe your inner legs/thighs on the nose and wing of the saddle. If you're guessing, you're better off going too wide than too narrow. You don't want to be sitting on a hatchet that is going to using your body weight to try to split your pelvis like firewood. At 6'2, your pelvis is probably on the larger side of the spectrum. Chamois cream (and especially GOOD chamois cream) and also a good chamois, for that matter, is also key.
Silvercivic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 09:50 AM   #10
therunt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez comp, 2011 Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27 View Post
There's really little downside to going too wide except that you will chafe your inner legs/thighs on the nose and wing of the saddle. If you're guessing, you're better off going too wide than too narrow. You don't want to be sitting on a hatchet that is going to using your body weight to try to split your pelvis like firewood. At 6'2, your pelvis is probably on the larger side of the spectrum. Chamois cream (and especially GOOD chamois cream) and also a good chamois, for that matter, is also key.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try. It might even be cheaper than replacing the old saddle. I'm also going to get the bike refitted. It's been a few years since and my riding style has changed for sure.
therunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 10:38 AM   #11
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
Thread Starter
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 10,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
gonna break in the new saddle at TdP this saturday?
Hell no. That's actually why I ordered one they didn't have because I know I would have put that thing on, and that could potentially be disastrous. I dn't want to be stopping every 30 min to tweak the saddle either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27 View Post
Actually, L3 means you're a lardass with an inflexible spine, lol (the usual situation) so you rotate your pelvis instead of bending your spine. I'm the same.

I have a Superflow. It's sitting in a cabinet in my garage. It was probably the second best saddle I've tried. I've switched to Koobi PRS Century. Koobi saddles are made by selle italia anyway. One that I would be interested to try is the Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow. Good luck with your quest!
LOL, they didn't measure spine flexibility, so as far as you know I have a flexible pelvis and a flexible spine. I'm only reasonably flexible though, so probably not. He said they did have people come in who could touch their foreheads to their knees but their pelvis hardly rotated at all. Weird.

I couldn't decide between the max gel flow and the SLR version, so I went with the SLR version. They'll let me trade it out if I hate it.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-14, 06:04 PM   #12
jla1974
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South Bend,In
Bikes: Bianchi metropoli uno
Posts: 17
i had the id fit and a bike fit also on 2-22 measurements were caliper 35cm left thigh 66cm right thigh 65cm and inclinometer of 64. it put me in the L2 size. i got the mens gel flow. on the bike fit i got 7/10 for flexibility. ive put 107 miles on seat on trainer since then. my weight is 280lbs even though its put in for the id im not sure the seat is made for it. i hope on the road it does better.
jla1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 AM.