Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   One year on a Fixed Gear (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/934098-one-year-fixed-gear.html)

bbeasley 02-13-14 02:39 PM

One year on a Fixed Gear
 
I'm old, fat, and slow. I've got a nice Trek roadie with all the goodies on it. I bought a Wabi FG a year ago, it remains my favorite bike. Any excuse and I'll ride it over my roadie, I've even taken to showing up for slower group rides and using my FG. If you're bored and need a jump start consider a Fixed Gear, they're an absolute blast to ride.

mustang1 02-13-14 02:50 PM

But tell us more! What kinda riding do you normally do? How many miles? What terrain? I want a ssfg too.

bbeasley 02-13-14 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang1 (Post 16493420)
But tell us more! What kinda riding do you normally do? How many miles? What terrain? I want a ssfg too.

Last year I rode ~2800 miles. Almost an even split between the FG and roadie. I used the roadie for ~50 Saturday group rides. The FG gets ridden to town and work, usually 15 miles round trip. I also have a 52 mile ride I try to do at least twice a month on the FG.

I live in the flat lands where a Century ride has ~3,000' of climbing. I've found our rolling hills are not a problem on the FG, the only thing I really don't like on the FG is downhills. Oh, I run both front and rear brakes nothing hip about me :)

Erwin8r 02-13-14 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbeasley (Post 16493478)
Last year I rode ~2800 miles. Almost an even split between the FG and roadie. I used the roadie for ~50 Saturday group rides. The FG gets ridden to town and work, usually 15 miles round trip. I also have a 52 mile ride I try to do at least twice a month on the FG.

I live in the flat lands where a Century ride has ~3,000' of climbing. I've found our rolling hills are not a problem on the FG, the only thing I really don't like on the FG is downhills. Oh, I run both front and rear brakes nothing hip about me :)


Okay--let's see the pics... :)

bbeasley 02-13-14 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin8r (Post 16493532)
Okay--let's see the pics... :)

Gladly :)

http://bobbeasley.com/bikeimages/wabi.jpg

Erwin8r 02-13-14 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbeasley (Post 16494431)

Beautifully simple and elegant. Single Speeds/Fixies are cool!

zandoval 02-13-14 11:58 PM

My first bike had training wheels and was a single speed - And my trike was a fixie - I will never argue that they wern't the best...

adrien 02-14-14 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a fixed gear about 2 years ago, really as an add-on fun bike. I find I ride it when I don't have much time and want a really good workout, when I want to work on flexibility more (it's a bit small for me -- big drop) or when I can't be bothered with gears. Because it''s so simple, it's also very simple to clean, so it's the go-to for shorter rides in marginal weather.

I'm much better at climbing, pedaling, spinning, and bike handling as a result. Because of the length of my road rides, it's only about 10% of my milage. But it's closer to 30% of my rides.

Photo...

Mr. Thompson 02-14-14 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbeasley (Post 16493383)
I'm old, fat, and slow. I've got a nice Trek roadie with all the goodies on it. I bought a Wabi FG a year ago, it remains my favorite bike. Any excuse and I'll ride it over my roadie, I've even taken to showing up for slower group rides and using my FG. If you're bored and need a jump start consider a Fixed Gear, they're an absolute blast to ride.

Especially when they ride like a Wabi. :D

bbeasley 02-14-14 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrien (Post 16495710)
I'm much better at climbing, pedaling, spinning, and bike handling as a result.
Photo...

I've noticed this as well, not sure of the cause. FG does seem to punish you if you don't pedal in a circle.

JCNeumann 02-14-14 07:54 PM

I think it has improved my cycling.

Plus, I have this strange urge to wear plaid and grow a soul patch...

Retired2013 04-04-14 03:25 PM

BB

I am also old, slow and fat. But, the FG is the way to go! I have never missed a gear when riding, it's uncomplicated, and when you ride 10 miles - it is a honest 10 miles. I tried to cheat once by not pedaling and almost went over the handlebars.
Good thread.

Bandera 04-04-14 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Riding a fixed gear on the road has been a foundation of training for club cyclists for a > century for many good reasons.

It does take a commitment to proper kit: a ~70" gear, at least a front brake (2 for me), proper foot retention and good technique.

There is nothing like FG cycling to develop a smooth, supple powerful pedaling style, and it's fun (or not, you decide).
A new Wabi is sweet but converting an old road bike is straightforward & inexpensive, see Sheldon Brown on how:

Fixed Gear Conversions

Here's a pic of a favorite road bike I converted to FG 22 years ago, works a treat.
Have at it.

-Bandera


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 AM.