I ride a city/trail hybrid (see signature). My original thought last winter was to trade it in before spring for a performance hybrid (or a road bike) but I've decided to ride another year or two before officially justifying a new bike. Since getting it last April, I've kept it stock, only adding a bike computer, rear rack, and a water bottle holder. What are some useful mods I can add to it?
I ride on the roads 80% of the time. The other 20% takes place on an unpaved, hard-packed stone rail trail. The bike came with 700c x 35 tires, I've thought about changing them out for 28s for better road resistance. Is this too small to continue riding unpaved rail trails? Also would this be noticeably better on pavement?
I've also thought about getting a pair of Ergon GP5 bar end grips for my upcoming long distance (50-100 mile) rides. Anyone have these? Do they make a difference on long rides?
One last thing, is it ideal to put clipless pedals on a hybrid bike? Locally, I've only seen them on road bikes, usually hybrid bikes only have flat/platform pedals. I often wonder if my feet are positioned correctly on the pedals, plus if my shoes are wet/sandy they tend to slip easily, and think clipless would help remedy these problems