Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-14, 07:26 AM   #26
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstorkel View Post
That's what I thought... until I did the math: 30 mile ride * 151 feet/mile = 4,530 feet of elevation gain. For a ride that short, that's quite a bit of climbing!

For perspective, the Everest Challenge bicycle race is 29,000 feet of climbing spread across 200 miles (and 2 days): 29,000 feet / 200 miles = 145 feet/mile.
Thanks for help sorting that for the folks.
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 08:22 AM   #27
CommuteCommando
Senior Member
 
CommuteCommando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern CaliFORNIA.
Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Posts: 3,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update on elevation and mapping websites.

I had heard somewhere that many of these sites have been using Garmin data to refine the elevation profiles on a lot of popular routes. Two months ago I mapped out a ride with the goal of climbing a mile, which I accomplished. (5600 ft ride total-1 mile =5280') The route I mapped was 9100 ft, to account for profile error. I wound up cutting the ride a little short when it became apparent that I would not need to repeat a monster hill to make my total climbing goal. (That hill started about mile 15, and I would have had to turn right at about mile 53 to repeat it.)

The actual route I rode calculated to about 8500 ft just two months ago using RideWithGPS. I just remapped the actual route I rode and the calculated elevation is now a lot closer to the actual. x - San Diego, CA

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 03-31-14 at 08:29 AM.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 08:31 AM   #28
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Posts: 4,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where I live its hard to do less than 1000' on any ride - road or mountain (especially mountain biking). My average ride is somewhere around 2000 - 2500' give or take. If doing a long road ride, say 40 - 50 miles and I do 3500' no problem. If doing a longish mountain bike ride, say 15 - 18 miles and 3500'+, it's a tough climb, exhausting.

I've done century with 5000+ of climbing and didn't really feel the hills. I've done MTB rides of 15 miles with 3000' of climbing was totally exhausted. Climbing is a relative thing...

did a MTB ride yesterday - 18 miles about 3100' of climbing. One of my friends was suffering... he tends to do "flat" rides; so he walked alot and did not do the "big" hills (he went around)... I told him if he wanted to suceed on hills the only way to get better is seek out hills and force yourself to do them. At one time I only liked to do flat, fast rides... now I hate those. Give me a long, sustain 5 mile climb and I am in heaven (plus usually means an awesome descent!). Like any training, start out easy and build up. Due to my weight, I am never the fastest up a hill, but I can get up them even some steep stuff in the 10 - 12% range. I admit after that if too long I may opt out to walk but am working on that.
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 03-31-14 at 08:38 AM.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 07:59 PM   #29
mrodgers
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mrodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western PA
Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Have to say, you folks are making me feel like a total wuss, lol.

I got a ride in late this afternoon as the weather has finally broke. 9.8 miles at an average speed of 9.2 mph. I plugged the route into ridewithgps.com to see the elevation because I am trying the mapmyride.com app and I don't see elevation numbers on the website (only the elevation graph.) It tells me 593 feet climbing along with 591 feet of decent. Average speed would have been higher on clean pavement but most of the loop is very fine sandy gravel covered along with some straight dirt road surface. I am still skittish about going downhill on this stuff but when I got to the clean pavement I was hitting 30 mph (how you folks do that all the time on roadbikes is crazy as that was crazy fast, lol.)

I came to one section that just kept going down down down. I knew it was coming from looking at the map earlier and knew for all the down, there was going to be an equal up. That was brutal. The map shows 151 feet in 0.4 miles. I guess I have a lot of work to do because I have a 26 small on the triple and 34 on the back and I used it. I thought I was going to have a heart attack from the sound of my heartrate in my ears, lol. I climbed it and saw a nice quarter mile of flat at the top but I had to stop and rest until I couldn't hear the pulse smashing in my ears.

I am very happy about this ride because last year I only rode the flat bike trail and would do 12 miles in about 55 minutes (moving time) and this 9.8 miles I rode in 64 minutes and that was with braking and holding downhill speed to under 10 mph with all the slippery sandy stuff for most of the decending.

Man, I don't think I want to ever be doing 2500, 3500, 5000 feet rides like you guys are talking about, lol.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 08:36 PM   #30
WonderMonkey
Senior Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vandalia OH
Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
Posts: 2,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Man, I don't think I want to ever be doing 2500, 3500, 5000 feet rides like you guys are talking about, lol.
You are I are in the same boat. A boat that doesn't climb that much.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 09:19 PM   #31
CommuteCommando
Senior Member
 
CommuteCommando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern CaliFORNIA.
Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Posts: 3,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Have to say, you folks are making me feel like a total wuss, lol.
I used to avoid hills. Five miles was a push. I have lost about 100 lb in the last five years. There is one route I used to take to the coast that was as flat as I could get it. After about a year I took off on a ride, and instead of turning right, I looked ahead at a hill that had been taunting me, and went straight.

1 - San Diego, CA
2 - San Diego, CA

Patience is key. Some will go from slug to superman in months. I went from slug to pretty good in a couple of years.

YMMV.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 09:21 PM   #32
WonderMonkey
Senior Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vandalia OH
Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
Posts: 2,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
I used to avoid hills. Five miles was a push. I have lost about 100 lb in the last five years. There is one route I used to take to the coast that was as flat as I could get it. After about a year I took off on a ride, and instead of turning right, I looked ahead at a hill that had been taunting me, and went straight.

1 - San Diego, CA
2 - San Diego, CA

Patience is key. Some will go from slug to superman in months. I went from slug to pretty good in a couple of years.

YMMV.
*Salute* to you on "about 100 lb" and for the quick decision to tame that hill.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 10:36 PM   #33
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,182
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
I used to avoid hills.
Me too, until I was about 40. Go figure.

Now, like an escaped mental patient, I actually go looking for them. I actually went up 21,168 feet in March this year, which is a new personal best (my old record was 20,588) Considering that I was only trying to get my miles up this month and wasn't actively trying to hit any particular number for climbing, I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

No doubt about it though - climbing is harder when you're overweight. you can't cheat physics.

I rode up a nice little hill today - it's not quite a mile and just over 200 feet of elevation change, so the average slope is 5%. It's harder in the middle and easier at the top but I averaged about 300W and 9.4 mph at 220 lb. Some skinny malook ALSO averaged 300W and I see he's in the 125-149 weight category in Strava and he went up that daggum hill at 14 mph.

Le Sigh.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 11:20 PM   #34
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: one for everything
Posts: 8,465
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I need a power tap so I can see what little power my legs churn out.....excuse to build another wheelset? LOL
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 11:47 PM   #35
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,182
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
I need a power tap so I can see what little power my legs churn out.....excuse to build another wheelset? LOL
Holler and I'll trade you for a couple weeks. Nobody's got noodle legs like me though.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 08:31 AM   #36
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Me too, until I was about 40. Go figure.

Now, like an escaped mental patient, I actually go looking for them. I actually went up 21,168 feet in March this year, which is a new personal best (my old record was 20,588) Considering that I was only trying to get my miles up this month and wasn't actively trying to hit any particular number for climbing, I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

No doubt about it though - climbing is harder when you're overweight. you can't cheat physics.

I rode up a nice little hill today - it's not quite a mile and just over 200 feet of elevation change, so the average slope is 5%. It's harder in the middle and easier at the top but I averaged about 300W and 9.4 mph at 220 lb. Some skinny malook ALSO averaged 300W and I see he's in the 125-149 weight category in Strava and he went up that daggum hill at 14 mph.

Le Sigh.
300W over a mile! Holy Ragedy Andy; If I were allowed on the bike I couldn't get there right now. Well done Sir; Congrats!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
I need a power tap so I can see what little power my legs churn out.....excuse to build another wheelset? LOL
If I were to get another Powertap wheel I'd build a Stages crank arm...

Of course no reason to do that until mid May when I'm allowed back on the bike.
Doc says I can do some 'light' jogging. Really Doc? You used the word 'light' when you see someone that tells his weight using the British Stone measurement because 14 sounds better than 200?
That there rankled me a bit.
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 08:32 AM   #37
CommuteCommando
Senior Member
 
CommuteCommando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern CaliFORNIA.
Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Posts: 3,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I rode up a nice little hill today - it's not quite a mile and just over 200 feet of elevation change, so the average slope is 5%. It's harder in the middle and easier at the top but I averaged about 300W and 9.4 mph at 220 lb. Some skinny malook ALSO averaged 300W and I see he's in the 125-149 weight category in Strava and he went up that daggum hill at 14 mph.

Le Sigh.
Damn you Issac Newton!

If I can be down to 180 by June or July I am signing up for this. Giro di San Diego Granfondo ? The Gran Fondo Bike Ride That out and back at the half way is a bucket list climb. In 1986 I went up there by car at 3:00 AM with my brother and a friend to join the fewer than 5% of the earths population to actually see Haley's Comet with our bare eyes. It is still burned in my memory. Standing in the snow gazing in awe. It actually was pretty magnificent, and arced across about a quarter of the sky.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 09:00 AM   #38
MattFoley
Senior Member
 
MattFoley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread inspired me to do the math. March for me was almost mostly commuting miles on a fixed gear. 21,501 feet of climbing over 357 miles, for an average of 60/ft per mile. My normal commute actually is 75ft per mile, but I often take the long route home that has some MUP riding, which lowers the overall average. I call it "rolling" rather than "moundy", but yeah, not "hilly" in the meaningful sense, as my average speed is usually about 17mph.

That said, if I were describing it to someone new to cycling, I'd say my commute is "decently hilly."
MattFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 09:25 AM   #39
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: one for everything
Posts: 8,465
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBOHUNT View Post
If I were to get another Powertap wheel I'd build a Stages crank arm...

Of course no reason to do that until mid May when I'm allowed back on the bike.
Doc says I can do some 'light' jogging. Really Doc? You used the word 'light' when you see someone that tells his weight using the British Stone measurement because 14 sounds better than 200?
That there rankled me a bit.
I wish they would just sell the module plus the epoxy instead of all those ugly cranks. I'm a SRAM user, I can't put shimano cranks on my bike....I might be escorted to the back of the peloton
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 11:00 AM   #40
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
I wish they would just sell the module plus the epoxy instead of all those ugly cranks. I'm a SRAM user, I can't put shimano cranks on my bike....I might be escorted to the back of the peloton
I'm SRAM as well. I have to change to an FSA if I were to go that route; which I will.

You'd be 'escorted' to the back?
Heck, I'm shelled off the back in a dag gum trainer session much less a real race. No need for an escort.
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 03:55 PM   #41
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,182
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
I wish they would just sell the module plus the epoxy instead of all those ugly cranks. I'm a SRAM user, I can't put shimano cranks on my bike....I might be escorted to the back of the peloton
They do sell an Apex crank. I'm sure it would clash with my beat-up Red cranks though.

By the way, Power2Max looks like an interesting alternative. if you have a compatible crank, it's not much at all, um, relatively speaking. The ONLY thing I don't like about stages is that it only measures your left leg and I'm pretty sure I have a decent imbalance between my two legs (right knee issues)
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 08:27 PM   #42
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
They do sell an Apex crank. I'm sure it would clash with my beat-up Red cranks though.

By the way, Power2Max looks like an interesting alternative. if you have a compatible crank, it's not much at all, um, relatively speaking. The ONLY thing I don't like about stages is that it only measures your left leg and I'm pretty sure I have a decent imbalance between my two legs (right knee issues)
Power2Max could be a choice for me. With the Stages swapping arms out tween bikes is easier then cranksets. With my pFTP it really don't matter really
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 09:51 PM   #43
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: one for everything
Posts: 8,465
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
is that still a one sided device or does it come w/ both crank arms? If so it's about a 1/3 cheaper then SRM which is nice saving for this cat7 racer
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 10:04 PM   #44
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,182
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBOHUNT View Post
Power2Max could be a choice for me. With the Stages swapping arms out tween bikes is easier then cranksets. With my pFTP it really don't matter really
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
is that still a one sided device or does it come w/ both crank arms? If so it's about a 1/3 cheaper then SRM which is nice saving for this cat7 racer
OMG the sandbagging is out of control! Where's the flooding?

Stages is left crank only, so it estimates. For most people (ie you) it's probably perfectly fine because your power output is pretty balanced. I don't know that they can get it on carbon cranks though, which may explain why red and force cranks are MIA.

Power2Max looks interesting but I'm not sure I want a rotor crank, despite all the drooling about them on the 41.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 09:28 AM   #45
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
OMG the sandbagging is out of control! Where's the flooding?
Who me? No snadbaggin' here. My power is the lowest it's been since the first time I did an FTP test. I'm about to send you those chain rings back. I'm not worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Stages is left crank only, so it estimates. For most people (ie you) it's probably perfectly fine because your power output is pretty balanced. I don't know that they can get it on carbon cranks though, which may explain why red and force cranks are MIA.
I'm paltry on both sides. I know my power is down 14% since the surgery in Feb. While I'm sure the food intake I've been doing plays a part in that reduction it's not all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Power2Max looks interesting but I'm not sure I want a rotor crank, despite all the drooling about them on the 41.
All said and done it would cost me ~$1300 for the Power2Max setup
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 03:41 PM   #46
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: one for everything
Posts: 8,465
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Holler and I'll trade you for a couple weeks. Nobody's got noodle legs like me though.
I'll offer up my spinergys, so you can see what bendable spoke rides like

my pFTP what ever that means is 0
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:49 PM.