Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 83
  1. #1
    Member WestMichiganGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Comstock Park, MI
    My Bikes
    None yet, working on it
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I got a bike finally !!

    I will admit, I went cheap and from Wally BUT, this bike (hopefully) will be a good starter while I save for a good bike or, little by little, mod this into a great ride. Modding would probably cost more but might be fun if only to have a beefed up cheapie that is one of a kind and distinctly me.

    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got a cheap starter bike from Wal Mart.. won't last forever but I am happy. No need to kill my buzz...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    4,256
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size is it?
    "I've wanted you to succeed, but watching you find excuse after excuse after excuse and then laugh it off as the loveable, quirky, chubby guy is getting old."--Ill.Clyde

  3. #3
    Member WestMichiganGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Comstock Park, MI
    My Bikes
    None yet, working on it
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frame size is a mystery to me.. can find nothing mentioning that.. unless, the frame size matches the wheel size... it is Walmart so, yeah, you know how that goes. The only info I can really find is that it is referred to as a "26" Mens Granite Peak"

    I sat on it and rode it in store a bit and it was as comfortable than half the MTBs I have tried and more comfortable than the other half (fit wise). The seat will have to go though lol
    I got a cheap starter bike from Wal Mart.. won't last forever but I am happy. No need to kill my buzz...

  4. #4
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,406
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, congratulations on the new addition to the family. It looks like a good bike, I am sure that it will take you far on your new adventures.

    If you look at my signature, I now own and ride some very fine bikes. But I started like you, with a department store bike. Once I fell in love with cycling, however, there was no going back.

    Have fun and ride safely!
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  5. #5
    Senior Member ill.clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    My Bikes
    2012 Kona Jake, 2009 Trek 1.2, 1997 Trek 6700
    Posts
    2,036
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typically speaking, I think the WalMart bikes are generally one-size fits all.

    As for your future needs, I wouldn't put any money into that bike (save for maybe a new saddle).

    My fear is that front suspension is going to get squishy real fast and you're going to get back to your original worries about feeling unstable on bikes with front suspension (that was something you mentioned in your original thread, so I was surprised to see a suspended fork on this bike). Not to mention once that fork goes (and sad to say it will) it's really not worth fixing and will be a very heavy rigid fork.

    I still, personally, feel you should buy a used MTB without a suspended fork. I think you're settling on this bike because you just wanted to have a bike and you didn't really want to think about the buying process all that much, but again, that's just my personal thoughts on it.

    I know you want to ride, and I know your budget is limited ... but taking a little extra time now to find a good quality used bike (that's truly in your size and not one size fits all) in my opinion would serve you better.

    Please don't think I'm being overly critical.

    If you're set on this bike, ride it until the wheels fall off and then get yourself something better.

    I just know we've read many, many cases on this website where an uber clyde buys a WalMart bike and hates it once the sheen of newness wears off.

  6. #6
    Senior Member FLJeepGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 2004 Trek 3500, 1991 Trek 1200, plus various others moving through my garage...
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WestMichiganGuy View Post
    Frame size is a mystery to me.. can find nothing mentioning that.. unless, the frame size matches the wheel size... it is Walmart so, yeah, you know how that goes. The only info I can really find is that it is referred to as a "26" Mens Granite Peak"

    I sat on it and rode it in store a bit and it was as comfortable than half the MTBs I have tried and more comfortable than the other half (fit wise). The seat will have to go though lol
    First off! Congratulations on the new ride! Any bike is better than no bike so get out and ride it like you stole it!

    For future reference, bike size or frame size usually refers to the distance measured from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube where the seat post enters it. There are plenty of measurements in a frame's geometry, but this is the one most people refer to as a general reference to the bike's size. The tire size is usually the second most commonly discussed measurement on a bike but it will in 99% of the cases be different than the "frame size".

    As far as seats go, it's a very personal thing, and most folks change seats to their individual preference regardless of the cost of the bike. Your LBS can help with finding one that fits you properly with the right balance between support and softness.

  7. #7
    The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    7,413
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see you found something to get you on the road!

    I agree with some other comments, don't upgrade, just find a saddle that works for you, and replace anything that breaks as you get into the addiction and figure out what you want long term.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

    People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #8
    Senior Member BIGDCYCLES's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    My Bikes
    Giant Sedona, 1997 Schwinn Frontier2012 Walgoose 29er
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woohoo!!! My first bike in a long time was a wally world mongoose deception 29er. It has served me well for over a year. I have had to true and tension wheels and spokes and the tires are almost worn out. There is a forum for modification of big box store bikes if you do go that route. New saddle that fits you and ride the tires off of it!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    4,256
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    26" refers to the wheel size. I am also 6'2". Unless the photo is distorting the true nature of things, I have a hard time believing that that bike would be large enough for me, but if it works for you....
    "I've wanted you to succeed, but watching you find excuse after excuse after excuse and then laugh it off as the loveable, quirky, chubby guy is getting old."--Ill.Clyde

  10. #10
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    2,241
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry you went this route. At the risk of sounding like a bike snob, IMO, you are better off going without a bike than risking your safety on a Wal Mart bike. Don't put any money into it. Best of luck with it, though.
    Last edited by MRT2; 06-10-14 at 03:10 PM.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cedar Rapids IA
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 21D - silver
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
    So sorry you went this route. At the risk of sounding like a bike snob, IMO, you are better off going without a bike than risking your safety on a Wal Mart bike. Don't put any money into it. Best of luck with it, though.
    That seemed kind of rude.
    Silver Electra Townie 21D // My Profiles: Strava // MapMyRide // MyFitnessPal


    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

  12. #12
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    2,241
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NurseWizzle View Post
    That seemed kind of rude.
    Not rude, but direct. WestMichiganGuy came to us as a 6'2" 340 # man looking for a bike that would hold his weight and get him back into cycling. He got some good recommendations about what to look for and what to avoid, and he went and bought what most who contributed told him to avoid; a one size fits some Wal Mart special.

    If he came asking for recs on a bike to ride on a 1,500 mile tour, then went out and bought a beach cruiser, I would be similarly direct.

    I bear no malice against OP and hope it works out for him, but I wonder what was the point of his asking for advice?

  13. #13
    Member WestMichiganGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Comstock Park, MI
    My Bikes
    None yet, working on it
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
    I wonder what was the point of his asking for advice?
    Asking for advice does NOT mean someone has to do exactly what people tell them nor even do anything at all. Sometimes, asking advice is just to see the opinions out there, get more information, and, hell, a good way to say "hello, I am new and no idea what the F I am doing" lol

    You were right about risking sounding like a "bike snob".. ya kinda did. I am sure there is little risk to locally riding a Wally World bike as I lose weight and save money. Nobody expects this bike to last forever, ****, it was $85...

    The fact is, and I know it is a fighting point here but, the box store bikes are ok depending what you expect from them and what you plan on doing with them. Are they the "top notch, look I have a ton of money to throw into riding a bike, I have the best cause I am so cool" type of bikes ? No.. they are simply a good beginner step for someone slowly coming in.

    Honestly, people pounding the "only these models are worth riding, no big box store bike is good enough" mentality into everyone probably scares more people away than it should. Hop on a bike.. ANY bike.. ride it.. if it tickles your fancy, save money for a better bike..
    I got a cheap starter bike from Wal Mart.. won't last forever but I am happy. No need to kill my buzz...

  14. #14
    Hi-Tech Redneck Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ashtabula County Ohio
    My Bikes
    Reflex ALX Carbon
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started off with a department store bike and still ride it now and then to keep it in working order. Just a Huffy Thunder Ridge and nothing special, but it at least had low end Shimano indexing on it.............



    I wanted to upgrade it with better rims and lighter components, but after adding up costs I decided to just save up and wait for a good, used bike on Craigslist. I rode the hell out of that Huffy for about a month until my search finally paid off on an older, but better bike...........




    Ride that bike and enjoy it. After you decide this is something you want to do, then find a better bike and keep the Roadmaster as a backup or have a friend join you riding your old bike.
    Putting the fun between my legs.......
    '89 Reflex ALX Carbon - '90 Fuji Ace - '96 Huffy Thunder Ridge

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek 7.3FX,2015 Trek Domane 4.5
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have fun riding your bike. Ride it until its wore out!

    At $85 a piece you can go thru a couple of them without losing any big money. If you do wear a couple of them out its time for a better bike. If it sits in the garage you are only out $85.

  16. #16
    Family, Health, Cycling Lanceoldstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Concord, CA
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert, Univega Gran Turismo
    Posts
    1,280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    OP, congratulations on the new addition to the family. It looks like a good bike, I am sure that it will take you far on your new adventures.

    If you look at my signature, I now own and ride some very fine bikes. But I started like you, with a department store bike. Once I fell in love with cycling, however, there was no going back.



    Have fun and ride safely!
    As we say around here... +1, or I could have written that myself. Have fun.
    In Escendo Est Verum

  17. #17
    Senior Member MRT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Posts
    2,241
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WestMichiganGuy View Post
    Asking for advice does NOT mean someone has to do exactly what people tell them nor even do anything at all. Sometimes, asking advice is just to see the opinions out there, get more information, and, hell, a good way to say "hello, I am new and no idea what the F I am doing" lol

    You were right about risking sounding like a "bike snob".. ya kinda did. I am sure there is little risk to locally riding a Wally World bike as I lose weight and save money. Nobody expects this bike to last forever, ****, it was $85...

    The fact is, and I know it is a fighting point here but, the box store bikes are ok depending what you expect from them and what you plan on doing with them. Are they the "top notch, look I have a ton of money to throw into riding a bike, I have the best cause I am so cool" type of bikes ? No.. they are simply a good beginner step for someone slowly coming in.

    Honestly, people pounding the "only these models are worth riding, no big box store bike is good enough" mentality into everyone probably scares more people away than it should. Hop on a bike.. ANY bike.. ride it.. if it tickles your fancy, save money for a better bike..
    In the threads you started, nobody suggested you needed a $5000 or $10,000 Madone, S Works, or Cervelo to get you going. Most people were suggesting $100 or $200 used hybrids or at most, something like a new Giant hybrid or even a bikes direct or Nashbar bike (which btw, would have been a better option). Think for a second how Wal Mart can even sell a bike for less than $100 and still make money.

    I suspect IllClyde is right, and you just got tired of the process of hunting down a used bike that fit.

    every sport, or activity has its cost of entry. In cycling, that price is about $400 new retail, a little less if you get a good sale, or off the internet, and even less used, but you need to be patient and know what to look for. I will not apologize for hating big box store bikes. Ask a fishing enthusiast what to buy and I am sure they won't say great things about fishing gear you get at Wal Mart. I know this isn't what you want to hear and that is fine. I am just some internet guy you don't know from Adam.

    tell you what though. Prove me wrong. Ride that thing an hour a day, every day, 2 or 3 hours on Saturday. Take Sunday off. So ride it 6 to 8 hours a week. Come back here in 6 months or so, after riding 100 to 120 hours or roughly 1,000 to 1,200 Miles and let us know how things are going, and what has held up, and what hasn't.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Deal4Fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    OP, congratulations on the new addition to the family. It looks like a good bike, I am sure that it will take you far on your new adventures.

    If you look at my signature, I now own and ride some very fine bikes. But I started like you, with a department store bike. Once I fell in love with cycling, however, there was no going back.

    Have fun and ride safely!
    Quote Originally Posted by FLJeepGuy View Post
    First off! Congratulations on the new ride! Any bike is better than no bike so get out and ride it like you stole it!

    For future reference, bike size or frame size usually refers to the distance measured from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube where the seat post enters it. There are plenty of measurements in a frame's geometry, but this is the one most people refer to as a general reference to the bike's size. The tire size is usually the second most commonly discussed measurement on a bike but it will in 99% of the cases be different than the "frame size".

    As far as seats go, it's a very personal thing, and most folks change seats to their individual preference regardless of the cost of the bike. Your LBS can help with finding one that fits you properly with the right balance between support and softness.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGDCYCLES View Post
    Woohoo!!! My first bike in a long time was a wally world mongoose deception 29er. It has served me well for over a year. I have had to true and tension wheels and spokes and the tires are almost worn out. There is a forum for modification of big box store bikes if you do go that route. New saddle that fits you and ride the tires off of it!
    Thumbs up on these supportive comments...the important thing is to ride a bike you like, and when you're ready to upgrade you have gained some knowledge from others here who have more biking experience.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Breezer Storm Comp 29er
    Posts
    182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the bike! Now get riding!!!

  20. #20
    Member WestMichiganGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Comstock Park, MI
    My Bikes
    None yet, working on it
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MRT2, you seem more upset about what I got than I am with just having something cheap. You need to gets some meds......... and, prove you wrong ? I am sorry, I was nder the impression that I don't have a thing to prove to you.

    Also, here in Michigan, I probably have 4 months of riding time available to me and, in my current state, will not be putting "hours and hours" into it until next season at the soonest.

    Now please go away.... frankly, you are doing nothing but being rude and have nothing more to say nor contribute to this thread.
    I got a cheap starter bike from Wal Mart.. won't last forever but I am happy. No need to kill my buzz...

  21. #21
    Member WestMichiganGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Comstock Park, MI
    My Bikes
    None yet, working on it
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gman214 View Post
    Congrats on the bike! Now get riding!!!
    I rode it a bit today.. got a cushier seat and it feels nice.. might get some comfort grips for it down the road.. not a huge fan of the hard rubber ones on there but, who knows.

    I had fun.. and it was a workout for me but in a good way.
    I got a cheap starter bike from Wal Mart.. won't last forever but I am happy. No need to kill my buzz...

  22. #22
    Hi-Tech Redneck Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ashtabula County Ohio
    My Bikes
    Reflex ALX Carbon
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you get over the 3-4 days of pain in your buttocks you will be good to go. Don't let anyone talk down your bike. I still love my Huffy no matter what people say. All bikes are awesome, functional pieces of art. Like a guitar.
    Putting the fun between my legs.......
    '89 Reflex ALX Carbon - '90 Fuji Ace - '96 Huffy Thunder Ridge

  23. #23
    Junior Member Tbobx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    My Bikes
    Trek road, Raleigh city bike and a Tandem
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the new bike that will surely take you far and welcome you into cycling where you will meet people and get fit. As with any big purchase, save the receipt and know what the warranty covers.

  24. #24
    Member WestMichiganGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Comstock Park, MI
    My Bikes
    None yet, working on it
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, got all the paperwork and the receipt right here by my pc so I don't lose them
    I got a cheap starter bike from Wal Mart.. won't last forever but I am happy. No need to kill my buzz...

  25. #25
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,406
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
    So sorry you went this route. At the risk of sounding like a bike snob, IMO, you are better off going without a bike than risking your safety on a Wal Mart bike. Don't put any money into it. Best of luck with it, though.

    Way to harsh the OP's mellow. My Mom taught me that if you have nothing nice to say, then you are better off saying nothing at all. Do you really think that a Walmart bike is somehow going to explode while the OP is riding it? That bike will take the OP a long way until he figures out what he really wants to get from cycling. In the meantime he can save his money until he is ready for his next "dream" bike.

    OP, enjoy your bike and like others have already said, ride it like you stole it.
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •