Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-14, 01:46 AM   #1
magbike
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 33
Completed my first century last weekend!

I was travelling for work, and decided to spend the weekend in the area to get some riding in. I gambled and rented a 58cm Specialized Roubaix (I ride a 60cm Scattante) hoping it would feel fine.

Up till now the most I've ridden was 88 miles, and that was the weekend I purchased my road bicycle (OC to SD :-) ); I had no idea what possessed me but I remember the pain in my legs, the pain in my knee, and needing to walk up the Torrey Pines hill. Prior to the weekend where I purchased a road bike, I was riding my Mountain Bike around 20-35 miles each weekend. Since that painful first weekend with a roadbike I've slowly built up the distance over the course of 7 months: 40 miles, 45, 50, 55, 60,65,70. The only thing holding me back from longer distances is the time it takes me to do it. Right now I land between 50-65 miles on a weekend.

The work week was harsh: up at 5:30AM and back at 8:00PM on most nights. The fluorescent lights of the clean room can make your eyes bleed. Sleep was not great, but it was passable. Could have left on Friday, but my ticket was for Sunday, which allowed me to ride on Saturday. I didn't even think about riding once that whole week. As I came to the realization of who I was once more on Friday, I quickly ran to the LBS to pick up that bicycle.

I had only planned around 50 miles that weekend; well, by 'planned', I mean it was just an idea that went through my head before I took the departing flight. Once I got back to the hotel with the bike, I took it upstairs, outfitted with what I brought (90% of luggage weight was my cycling gear), and took a shower. It was late night Friday, I had the lights off, myself trucked into bed between the sheets, and I intently focused on my laptop screen while letting the History Channel play on in the background. I was focused looking for trails. My sea-level tuned lungs were concerned about too much elevation change, especially because I was at an absolute 4000ft higher. Most rides around 50 miles had 2-4K change in elevation. Then, without thinking about it, I found a 1000 ft elevation change ride....over 100 miles. Its flat Jimmy, its flat. That same feeling came back to me when I first got my bicycle....COMPLETE THE CENTURY. I paused and gave it the 'careful' consideration: I'd be doing it alone, I'd be doing it on a trail that I've never seen, I'd be doing it on a bicycle that wasn't even remotely fitted for me, I'd have no idea how often I could stop for water or food....I thought about all of this in 0.25 seconds before I grinned outwardly knowing my fate was sealed.

I slept in very late that day, up at 10:30AM only to be out by 11:30AM. It was the most amazing ride ever. I stayed hydrated, I carbed up every 10 miles with food....but I found that thirst got the best of me. I usually go through 2 bottles every 20 miles, but by 50 miles I was going 2 bottles every 10 miles, and I was stopping by the beautiful houses near the trail and asking for refills on water. Everyone was friendly and kind. At 54 miles, with only 10 minute stops every 10 miles to eat dates & cliff bars, I used my phone to take a video about how I felt. I was coughing and hacking and clearly wanting even more water than I had access to. I was okay though, my legs felt great, my butt sufficiently conditioned to a saddle, and my mind focused on the Subway that I would encounter just 2 miles behind me. I'm pretty sure I drank about 4 liters of water there - its amazing how much water I had even though I was consistently drinking the whole way. I then stopped at every single park the trail touched and ensured that I topped off all my bottles, as well as drank atleast 500ml at every stop. It was a ritual: notice the water fountain, quickly pull in, drink what I had, fill up, and leave without saying a word. Taking 2 bottles/7 miles made a huge difference in performance (along with the subway sandwhich) and I went just as hard, if not a little harder, on my return.

I finished at about 8:30PM, and the bicycle shop gave me hell for making them wait, but they quickly changed their tune when they found out I just completed a century on my own. The owner grinned and congratulated me, while I stumbled outside of the store and realized that I was stuck in my cycling shoes, and I REALLLY didn't want to walk. The 18 dollars taxi ride took me 1 mile...it was the best cab ride i've ever had, and it was the best present I could have asked for as my last day as a 28 year old.

:-) :-) :-)
magbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 03:22 AM   #2
Wooden Tiger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbike View Post
I was travelling for work, and decided to spend the weekend in the area to get some riding in. I gambled and rented a 58cm Specialized Roubaix (I ride a 60cm Scattante) hoping it would feel fine.

Up till now the most I've ridden was 88 miles, and that was the weekend I purchased my road bicycle (OC to SD :-) ); I had no idea what possessed me but I remember the pain in my legs, the pain in my knee, and needing to walk up the Torrey Pines hill. Prior to the weekend where I purchased a road bike, I was riding my Mountain Bike around 20-35 miles each weekend. Since that painful first weekend with a roadbike I've slowly built up the distance over the course of 7 months: 40 miles, 45, 50, 55, 60,65,70. The only thing holding me back from longer distances is the time it takes me to do it. Right now I land between 50-65 miles on a weekend.

The work week was harsh: up at 5:30AM and back at 8:00PM on most nights. The fluorescent lights of the clean room can make your eyes bleed. Sleep was not great, but it was passable. Could have left on Friday, but my ticket was for Sunday, which allowed me to ride on Saturday. I didn't even think about riding once that whole week. As I came to the realization of who I was once more on Friday, I quickly ran to the LBS to pick up that bicycle.

I had only planned around 50 miles that weekend; well, by 'planned', I mean it was just an idea that went through my head before I took the departing flight. Once I got back to the hotel with the bike, I took it upstairs, outfitted with what I brought (90% of luggage weight was my cycling gear), and took a shower. It was late night Friday, I had the lights off, myself trucked into bed between the sheets, and I intently focused on my laptop screen while letting the History Channel play on in the background. I was focused looking for trails. My sea-level tuned lungs were concerned about too much elevation change, especially because I was at an absolute 4000ft higher. Most rides around 50 miles had 2-4K change in elevation. Then, without thinking about it, I found a 1000 ft elevation change ride....over 100 miles. Its flat Jimmy, its flat. That same feeling came back to me when I first got my bicycle....COMPLETE THE CENTURY. I paused and gave it the 'careful' consideration: I'd be doing it alone, I'd be doing it on a trail that I've never seen, I'd be doing it on a bicycle that wasn't even remotely fitted for me, I'd have no idea how often I could stop for water or food....I thought about all of this in 0.25 seconds before I grinned outwardly knowing my fate was sealed.

I slept in very late that day, up at 10:30AM only to be out by 11:30AM. It was the most amazing ride ever. I stayed hydrated, I carbed up every 10 miles with food....but I found that thirst got the best of me. I usually go through 2 bottles every 20 miles, but by 50 miles I was going 2 bottles every 10 miles, and I was stopping by the beautiful houses near the trail and asking for refills on water. Everyone was friendly and kind. At 54 miles, with only 10 minute stops every 10 miles to eat dates & cliff bars, I used my phone to take a video about how I felt. I was coughing and hacking and clearly wanting even more water than I had access to. I was okay though, my legs felt great, my butt sufficiently conditioned to a saddle, and my mind focused on the Subway that I would encounter just 2 miles behind me. I'm pretty sure I drank about 4 liters of water there - its amazing how much water I had even though I was consistently drinking the whole way. I then stopped at every single park the trail touched and ensured that I topped off all my bottles, as well as drank atleast 500ml at every stop. It was a ritual: notice the water fountain, quickly pull in, drink what I had, fill up, and leave without saying a word. Taking 2 bottles/7 miles made a huge difference in performance (along with the subway sandwhich) and I went just as hard, if not a little harder, on my return.

I finished at about 8:30PM, and the bicycle shop gave me hell for making them wait, but they quickly changed their tune when they found out I just completed a century on my own. The owner grinned and congratulated me, while I stumbled outside of the store and realized that I was stuck in my cycling shoes, and I REALLLY didn't want to walk. The 18 dollars taxi ride took me 1 mile...it was the best cab ride i've ever had, and it was the best present I could have asked for as my last day as a 28 year old.

:-) :-) :-)
Good stuff! Congrats!
Wooden Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 04:58 AM   #3
Ursa Minor
Senior Member
 
Ursa Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Barbara CA
Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover
Posts: 727
Grats! I plan to do a century this Saturday.

Charlie
Ursa Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 07:58 AM   #4
bransom
Senior Member
 
bransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis area
Bikes:
Posts: 350
Awesome ride report! As I travel a fairly stupid amount for work, renting a bike and going is something I think about a lot but have only done a couple times. I think I'll file your message away as a reminder to just go for it. (I usually talk myself out of it.)

So congratulations on the century and especially for doing it somewhere other than home or a regular route!
bransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 05:27 PM   #5
Willbird
Senior Member
 
Willbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Very N and Very W Ohio Williams Co.
Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5
Posts: 2,389
Sounds like a good first :-). Should be lots easier with rest stops and SAG:-).
Willbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 08:37 PM   #6
bbeasley 
Cat 5 field stuffer
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic
Posts: 1,420
Congratulations!
bbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 10:20 PM   #7
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 10,939
Good job. Are you a So-Cal kind of guy? Where did you find a 1000 foot ride?
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 10:30 PM   #8
TinkerinWstuff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Colorado Front Range
Bikes: Giant Anyroad
Posts: 116
Loved the story, thanks for sharing!
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 10:36 PM   #9
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,042
Great Story....
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 12:40 AM   #10
mcmoose
Senior Member
 
mcmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Transplanted to PDX area
Bikes: Trek FX 7.3 WSD, Trek Lexa S, Trek Lexa SLX
Posts: 432
Dude... you rock!
mcmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 07:01 AM   #11
linnefaulk 
Senior Member
 
linnefaulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: florida
Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220
Posts: 1,805
Congratulations!
__________________
sharon
when did I become vintage?
linnefaulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 10:47 AM   #12
Shadow722
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Oklahoma City
Bikes:
Posts: 45
I bring my bike along on trips frequently, usually March - October. I haven't been much of a winter rider, although I do plan to get some cold weather gear soon and change that. I suffer every spring getting reaquainted with my bike. I am just under being a Clyde but in the early spring I am almost always just a few lbs into being a Clyde.

I did a ride in Whidbey Island that was 31.25 with 2116 feet of climb. At one point a runner past me uphill and I was mad and tried to catch him and he was gone, I was riding at 7 mph on a 3.3% grade hill that was 1.25 mile long, and I couldn't catch up to him, not so sure he was human.
Shadow722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 12:17 PM   #13
Null66
Senior Member
 
Null66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Garner, NC 27529
Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
Posts: 2,103
Congrats!
Null66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 02:37 PM   #14
IBOHUNT
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Posts: 3,593
congrats
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 05:02 PM   #15
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace
Posts: 2,719
Way to go! Very resourceful too. Doubt I would have tried such a ride with that late of a start. Good for you!
Beachgrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 05:04 PM   #16
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,511
Congrats, job well done.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 05:05 PM   #17
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05 View Post
Way to go! Very resourceful too. Doubt I would have tried such a ride with that late of a start. Good for you!

Agree on the late start. I usually like to start moving earlier in the morning, before temps go up.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 05:08 PM   #18
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace
Posts: 2,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
Agree on the late start. I usually like to start moving earlier in the morning, before temps go up.
I don't care for riding after dark and depending on where this ride was...it may have been dark at finish. Or if far enough north...was still somewhat light out. Being a woman I also doubt I would do such a ride solo in an unfamiliar area.
Beachgrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 05:39 PM   #19
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05 View Post
I don't care for riding after dark and depending on where this ride was...it may have been dark at finish. Or if far enough north...was still somewhat light out. Being a woman I also doubt I would do such a ride solo in an unfamiliar area.
I am a guy and I don't like doing long solo rides, in unfamiliar places, after dark. It stresses me.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 05:59 PM   #20
SammyJ 
Senior Member
 
SammyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Summerville SC
Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105
Posts: 468
Awesome story!
SammyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 06:07 PM   #21
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 10,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow722 View Post
I did a ride in Whidbey Island that was 31.25 with 2116 feet of climb. At one point a runner past me uphill and I was mad and tried to catch him and he was gone, I was riding at 7 mph on a 3.3% grade hill that was 1.25 mile long, and I couldn't catch up to him, not so sure he was human.
I did a ride in march with two other clydes from this board - we rode up the tramway in Palm Springs (15% grade... it was featured in the Tour of California last year) and some lady WALKING passed me. OK, she was kind of power walking but still.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 11:57 AM   #22
MikeRides
Senior Member
 
MikeRides's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York
Bikes: Trek 1.1 (road), Raleigh Detour 4.5 (trail)
Posts: 1,132
Congrats! The best ride is the unplanned one. I tend to over plan everything only to have something go wrong, so lately my rides have been just out and backs... distances depending on how I feel on the road/trail.
MikeRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 01:41 PM   #23
257 roberts
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lakeland,Fl
Bikes: Trek FX 7.3 Gaint ATX 740
Posts: 44
you are the man.. great story, congrats!
257 roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 12:31 PM   #24
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 13,810
love the taxi part and the shop guy smiling part
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 05:12 PM   #25
alexaschwanden
Bike rider
 
alexaschwanden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: san jose
Bikes: 2015 Raleigh Revenio 1.0
Posts: 3,130
Very cool.
alexaschwanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:55 PM.