Very busy weekend on the bikes (love that I can now use the plural)
I joined a small group of girls for bike trail ride in Westerville. I wasn't sure how far we would ride (plan was 1.5 to 2 hours), so took my trusty hybrid. We went 18.8 miles in couple of hours -- very slow on the inclines but easily kept up with the group on the flats and outpaced them on the return downhill!
I met a friend this afternoon for a 2nd bike ride on local trail this afternoon. Figured it would be shorter so took my road bike for its inaugural ride (previously just ridden around the neighborhood). We ended up riding 19.7 miles (new high for the season)!! I also picked up ~2 miles per hour from previous rides on the same route :-)
Some things I learned:
* The drop bars / hoods were very different but pretty comfortable overall. I did have some discomfort in my upper back
* I REALLY need to spend some time learning the shifters -- moving from grip shifts to levers (integrated w/ brakes) is a big change.
* I missed having the bike computer to track speed / distance (I have one but haven't hooked it up yet as I wanted to make sure the bike fit was ok
* The saddle hurt - not sure if that is just because its new or if I need to get a different one
* Need to think about water / food as I think I struggled more on return trip than need be because I was hungry!
Thanks so much to the group here for all the tips and suggestions -- both in answer to questins I posted and just in general reading!