Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-14, 01:23 PM   #1
illusiumd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Affordable Rain/Weather Proof Wear

Suggestions needed for big guy weather-proof commuting jackets and maybe pants... what are you guys wearing in the rain?!
illusiumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 02:05 PM   #2
jeff556
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Seven Evergreen, Co-Motion Americano
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last winter I struggled trying to find the right jacket to wear for winter riding in the Pacific Northwest - so this is a topic near and dear to my heart!

What I found was that I would end up just as wet wearing a waterproof jacket, from the condensation inside the jacket, as I would have if I had just let the rain fall on me. I spent a good part of last winter searching for a jacket with ample underarm vents - to reduce the condensation - but was unable to find one that would fit. I'd love to give a Show Pass jacket a go, but alas it doesn't fit me (yet).

This winter, I'm going to start with an Aero Tech Designs windbreaker and see how that goes. If that doesn't work, I'll probably try the SoftShell jacket.

I've had a much harder time finding any pants that looked like they were worth trying. I'm probably going to by some Carhartt Medford pants and give those a go.

Good luck, and let us know if you find anything that works!
jeff556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 02:26 PM   #3
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mrs. Fred struggled with this very issue for quite a while. Not, because of sizing concerns, but, because she simply couldn't find a balance of breathability vs waterproofness that would keep her dry.

Then, we finally ran into an LBS employee who was both an avid fitness/competitive rider and had done a lot of cycle touring. He looked her straight in the face and told her she was being unrealistic. He went on, you can spend a lot of money on the best Goretex jacket in the world, but, the only way you won't soak in your own perspiration is if you moderate your own exertion down to levels that you don't perspire, at all. And, you'll still be wet and clammy, 'cause it's raining out. Or, you can just accept that, if you're riding at any pace what so ever, you are going to get wet and dress in a manner that allows you to be wet, yet comfortable. Wear some basic windproofing and enough insulation for the temperature to achieve exactly that.

Finally, Mrs. Fred had someone to listen to instead of me. And, that advice has worked as well for her as it has for me over the last 30 years.

If you're riding at anything above a toodle and it's raining, you're going to get/be wet. Both she and I have collected a variety of base layers, under garments, weights of jerseys, bibs and tights that allow us to layer for the general temperature. Then we each have a few windproof pieces that allow us to minimize the evaporative cooling of the wind while still providing plenty of temperature moderating ventillation. This approach seems to work a charm.
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 02:39 PM   #4
jeff556
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Seven Evergreen, Co-Motion Americano
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Totally agree. A good windbreaker is my plan for this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
Mrs. Fred struggled with this very issue for quite a while. Not, because of sizing concerns, but, because she simply couldn't find a balance of breathability vs waterproofness that would keep her dry.

Then, we finally ran into an LBS employee who was both an avid fitness/competitive rider and had done a lot of cycle touring. He looked her straight in the face and told her she was being unrealistic. He went on, you can spend a lot of money on the best Goretex jacket in the world, but, the only way you won't soak in your own perspiration is if you moderate your own exertion down to levels that you don't perspire, at all. And, you'll still be wet and clammy, 'cause it's raining out. Or, you can just accept that, if you're riding at any pace what so ever, you are going to get wet and dress in a manner that allows you to be wet, yet comfortable. Wear some basic windproofing and enough insulation for the temperature to achieve exactly that.

Finally, Mrs. Fred had someone to listen to instead of me. And, that advice has worked as well for her as it has for me over the last 30 years.

If you're riding at anything above a toodle and it's raining, you're going to get/be wet. Both she and I have collected a variety of base layers, under garments, weights of jerseys, bibs and tights that allow us to layer for the general temperature. Then we each have a few windproof pieces that allow us to minimize the evaporative cooling of the wind while still providing plenty of temperature moderating ventillation. This approach seems to work a charm.
jeff556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 02:41 PM   #5
headloss 
Senior Member
 
headloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Western PA
Bikes:
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I watch REI's outlet page... their standard prices are nothing to write home about, but sometimes their final clearance prices are a bargain. That's how I got my fall/winter shell.

In a pinch, find some water resistant coats at a discount store and just modify it, maybe make under arm vents and back vents yourself by cutting the fabric and reenforcing the edge of the cuts? You could even make it close-able with the clever use of velcro and glue.
headloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 05:25 PM   #6
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: one for everything
Posts: 8,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I use one of these North Face jackets, designed for MTBer in mind. Nice pockets, zippered front vents, back vents, arm vents, zipper plus Velcro opening front. few water proof pockets for phones and IPOD. Down right comfy!! Pricey YES, but hell allot better then the typical $20 full plastic jackets the LBS slings. Just don't crash and tear it and it should be good for yrs, versus buying a cheap $20 jacket every yr cuz it rips. Buy once, cry once

Jacket runs big, so I ordered one size down. Check their site for true specs, they even have a calculator.
The North Face Bracket Jacket - The North Face
jsigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 06:14 PM   #7
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice
 
vesteroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 1,608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
Mrs. Fred struggled with this very issue for quite a while. Not, because of sizing concerns, but, because she simply couldn't find a balance of breathability vs waterproofness that would keep her dry.

Then, we finally ran into an LBS employee who was both an avid fitness/competitive rider and had done a lot of cycle touring. He looked her straight in the face and told her she was being unrealistic. He went on, you can spend a lot of money on the best Goretex jacket in the world, but, the only way you won't soak in your own perspiration is if you moderate your own exertion down to levels that you don't perspire, at all. And, you'll still be wet and clammy, 'cause it's raining out. Or, you can just accept that, if you're riding at any pace what so ever, you are going to get wet and dress in a manner that allows you to be wet, yet comfortable. Wear some basic windproofing and enough insulation for the temperature to achieve exactly that.

Finally, Mrs. Fred had someone to listen to instead of me. And, that advice has worked as well for her as it has for me over the last 30 years.

If you're riding at anything above a toodle and it's raining, you're going to get/be wet. Both she and I have collected a variety of base layers, under garments, weights of jerseys, bibs and tights that allow us to layer for the general temperature. Then we each have a few windproof pieces that allow us to minimize the evaporative cooling of the wind while still providing plenty of temperature moderating ventillation. This approach seems to work a charm.

cant say I have ridden much in the rain but have hiked days in the rain....there is no dry. I do carry a rain jacket, but I keep it very open and its just to stay warm, breaks the wind and I use the chest zip to regulate temps. I will say I like the rain coat over my water RESISTANT wind breaker. Once the windbreaker wets all the way through I felt it was colder than my equally wet rain coat (inside and out).
vesteroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 08:25 PM   #8
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,026
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
cant say I have ridden much


Chop chop. Winter's coming.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 08:25 PM   #9
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
cant say I have ridden much in the rain but have hiked days in the rain....there is no dry. I do carry a rain jacket, but I keep it very open and its just to stay warm, breaks the wind and I use the chest zip to regulate temps. I will say I like the rain coat over my water RESISTANT wind breaker. Once the windbreaker wets all the way through I felt it was colder than my equally wet rain coat (inside and out).
Mrs. Fred and I also do a fair bit of tramping. Which, is equally wet around here. We use a very different strategy and clothes for that. Hooded three layer membrane jackets with pit and chest zips as well as paints, pack liners and rain flies, if it's going to be wet, windy and cold. Hooded ponchos over us and the packs if it's drizzling, protected (in the woods) and shorts & T shirts weather.
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 08:31 PM   #10
intransit1217
Senior Member
 
intransit1217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kenosha , Wi
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sectuer sport, 2013 Trek 8.4 DS, 2015 Framed Minnesota 2.0, '90s Specialized hardrock rigid
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm actually using motorcycle rain jacket and pants. I also have a neoprene light m/c jacket that is decently aero and good for cold days. But I still layer and sweat. because that's how the cyclist do.
intransit1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 08:58 AM   #11
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Clearance sales are a good idea. But don't go too cheap without a clearance, or you'll get what amounts to a plastic garbage bag that, as others have mentioned, will keep you soaked in sweat.

A good cycling jacket has pit zips and a back vent to help you regulate heat when in gets cool (and you have a chance to delay soaking for a hour or two). It'll have a liner, so you don't experience that rubber next to wet skin feel. It may have a two way zipper, again to help regulate heat inside the jacket. Unfortunately, those features don't come in wally-world cheap jackets.
pdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 10:33 AM   #12
SammyJ 
Senior Member
 
SammyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Summerville SC
Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
a hour ride in coastal Carolina in the Summer, I've soaked jersey and shorts, a rain shower is welcome.
__________________
I have NEVER regretted going on a ride;
I have often regretted not going when I could have!


I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!


Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
http://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
SammyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 10:41 AM   #13
seanpatrick76
Senior Member
 
seanpatrick76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2014 specialized Tricross
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff556 View Post
Last winter I struggled trying to find the right jacket to wear for winter riding in the Pacific Northwest - so this is a topic near and dear to my heart!

What I found was that I would end up just as wet wearing a waterproof jacket, from the condensation inside the jacket, as I would have if I had just let the rain fall on me. I spent a good part of last winter searching for a jacket with ample underarm vents - to reduce the condensation - but was unable to find one that would fit. I'd love to give a Show Pass jacket a go, but alas it doesn't fit me (yet).

This winter, I'm going to start with an Aero Tech Designs windbreaker and see how that goes. If that doesn't work, I'll probably try the SoftShell jacket.

I've had a much harder time finding any pants that looked like they were worth trying. I'm probably going to by some Carhartt Medford pants and give those a go.

Good luck, and let us know if you find anything that works!
For what it's worth I got the regular sized Aero tech designgs rain jacket (high vis) this spring, and it's been great - good breathability, not to expensive and most importantly keeps me dry.
seanpatrick76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 12:00 PM   #14
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,913
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Quote:
what are you guys wearing in the rain?
I own this Grunden's Bike Poncho

I can use it for the rest of my life And someone else can use it after i'm dead

.. it will work for them too..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 12:21 PM   #15
WarrenR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Halifax, NS
Bikes: Peugeot Evasion
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I own this Grunden's Bike Poncho

I can use it for the rest of my life And someone else can use it after i'm dead

.. it will work for them too..
That looks interesting, when I used to commute I would find a cheap plastic coat that had vents and zip it up as far as was comfortable. Army surplus for long rain pants. The pants take a beating so they are replaced every season or so. Gators under the pants and over water proof shoes. I would try harder to keep my feet dry then anything else. I hated working all day with wet socks.
WarrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 01:08 PM   #16
Ali_Pine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Affordable Rain/Weather Proof Wear These words just don't go together.

You can only have one.



My good rain gear cost way too much. It kept me dry in heavy winter rains. I think it was made by a tire company.

My cheap stuff - is just that. If you need windshield wipers - they're toast.

I have good luck with LL Bean backpacking jackets (Gore-Tex). Problem is they aren't made for cycling.
Ali_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 AM.