Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Im new here and looking for a bike that would fit me ,sorry if this is the wrong sub

    Hi, I am looking for a bike that i can ride for fitness on mainly paved trails with some dirt/gravel patches,Im a pretty big guy. ,Im only 5'8,i weigh about 310 pounds and i really dont know what should get to fit my needs,im not going to be taking the bike off of any "sweet jumps" just riding along for a workout. i have about $160.00 to get a bike,i could spend a little more though i think but im kinda low on funds for now but its worth it. I was just hoping you all could help me find the right bike,are any at walmart good for me? i dont want to break something..TIA oh and also i usually drop back to about 290 when the warm weather hits,i just gain a good bit in the winter every year,god knows why.
    Last edited by redrumronnie; 01-04-15 at 12:28 PM. Reason: more info added

  2. #2
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Posts
    26,078
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visit local bike shops and figure what size you might need.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Visit local bike shops and figure what size you might need.
    i dont have one near,its not very popular here and the closest one is about a 45-50 minute drive but i have to have gas to get to school

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 310, i don't think a walmart bike is going to give you very many miles. At your budget, I would get a used bike of quality. A used $160 bike is going to be 10x better than a new $160 bike.

  5. #5
    Senior Member bikemig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth (aka IA)
    My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Posts
    5,214
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you have basic mechanical skills? If you do and/or are willing to learn, I'd recommend a vintage mountain bike (one with a rigid fork). They're awesome bikes. You should be able to find one in your price range since they tend not to be too expensive. They're stout bikes that can take comfy tires. In fact, you'll want to swap out the knobbies that you'll probably find on the bike for slicks. The bike is perfect for the kind of riding you want to do.

    I'd check out your local craigslist and then post the bikes to this site using the C&V what is it worth forum. People here will help guide you through which bike to get.

    Welcome to BF and welcome to cycling!

  6. #6
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Posts
    26,078
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redrumronnie View Post
    i dont have one near,its not very popular here and the closest one is about a 45-50 minute drive but i have to have gas to get to school
    Bikes are like shoes ...They need to fit if you are going to ride much.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salreus View Post
    At 310, i don't think a walmart bike is going to give you very many miles. At your budget, I would get a used bike of quality. A used $160 bike is going to be 10x better than a new $160 bike.
    oh okay i was just wondering if the genesis selection or the big EZ would have been any good thank you for your help

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Bikes are like shoes ...They need to fit if you are going to ride much.
    I understand sir(?),ill ride the bus for a little while and save to make a trip there,thanks for your help

  9. #9
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Posts
    26,078
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redrumronnie View Post
    I understand sir(?),ill ride the bus for a little while and save to make a trip there,thanks for your help
    Where are you...Someone here may offer a bike to you.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
    Do you have basic mechanical skills? If you do and/or are willing to learn, I'd recommend a vintage mountain bike (one with a rigid fork). They're awesome bikes. You should be able to find one in your price range since they tend not to be too expensive. They're stout bikes that can take comfy tires. In fact, you'll want to swap out the knobbies that you'll probably find on the bike for slicks. The bike is perfect for the kind of riding you want to do.

    I'd check out your local craigslist and then post the bikes to this site using the C&V what is it worth forum. People here will help guide you through which bike to get.

    Welcome to BF and welcome to cycling!
    well when i was young i took apart and put together alot of my bikes! (im only 17 now haha) if i find one could i maybe show it to you and see if its a nice buy? id have to find the parts i need but i think i could maybe do that,i always loved riding and i just havent been able to since mine got stolen long ago, but i think it'd be the best hoby for me and thank you for you help and the welcoming!

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Where are you...Someone here may offer a bike to you.
    Im in phenix city alabama

  12. #12
    Senior Member bikemig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth (aka IA)
    My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Posts
    5,214
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redrumronnie View Post
    well when i was young i took apart and put together alot of my bikes! (im only 17 now haha) if i find one could i maybe show it to you and see if its a nice buy? id have to find the parts i need but i think i could maybe do that,i always loved riding and i just havent been able to since mine got stolen long ago, but i think it'd be the best hoby for me and thank you for you help and the welcoming!
    Then get a used vintage mtb. Working on bikes isn't hard. There is a really helpful bike mechanic section here. There are plenty of videos on youtube as well. Sheldon Brown has a very good website that will answer many of your questions.

    Yeah just find some bikes in your price range and post them in the classic and vintage appraisal forum. People will pipe up and tell you what they think of the bike. Also do a bit of homework in terms of what size bike you need (inseam length is a good place to start). MTBs are pretty forgiving in terms of sizing but you want the right bike.

    I own 2 vintage mtbs. They're great all rounders and commuters.

  13. #13
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Posts
    26,078
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redrumronnie View Post
    Im in phenix city alabama
    Perfect

    http://montgomery.craigslist.org/bik/4789292950.html
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  14. #14
    Senior Member bikemig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth (aka IA)
    My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Posts
    5,214
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Solid price and solid bike but I'd get a bike without a suspension fork. The OP doesn't need one and there's less to go wrong mechanically.

    Like this, GIANT rigid mountain bike

    Or this, http://columbusga.craigslist.org/bik/4811395550.html

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    awesome im gonna look into that one

  16. #16
    Senior Member bikemig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth (aka IA)
    My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Posts
    5,214
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I really like this Trek 950; I'd buy it if it were closer to me,

    Trek 950 mountain bike

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
    Solid price and solid bike but I'd get a bike without a suspension fork. The OP doesn't need one and there's less to go wrong mechanically.

    Like this, GIANT rigid mountain bike

    Or this, Trek 800 mountain track, really nice bike
    oh wow that trek is close! i thought the skinny frames would me bad for me! lol

  18. #18
    Senior Member bikemig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth (aka IA)
    My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Posts
    5,214
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redrumronnie View Post
    oh wow that trek is close! i thought the skinny frames would me bad for me! lol
    It's all about fat tires. They make for a comfy ride. Just swap the knobbies for slicks when you have the funds. Also check out the trek 950. That's a sweet bike for $90.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
    Then get a used vintage mtb. Working on bikes isn't hard. There is a really helpful bike mechanic section here. There are plenty of videos on youtube as well. Sheldon Brown has a very good website that will answer many of your questions.

    Yeah just find some bikes in your price range and post them in the classic and vintage appraisal forum. People will pipe up and tell you what they think of the bike. Also do a bit of homework in terms of what size bike you need (inseam length is a good place to start). MTBs are pretty forgiving in terms of sizing but you want the right bike.

    I own 2 vintage mtbs. They're great all rounders and commuters.
    okay awesome im gonna start the search thank you

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
    It's all about fat tires. They make for a comfy ride. Just swap the knobbies for slicks when you have the funds. Also check out the trek 950. That's a sweet bike for $90.
    thats really far for me lol

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go get that gary fisher bike. That is what I ride and love it. I am about the same size as you and rode over 500 miles last year. You don't need a suspension fork as said above, but I haven't had any issue with mine. I swapped out my nubby tires for some slicks. Changed out my MTB cassette for a rode cassette and very much enjoy riding.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok im gonna try and get it if its still available

  23. #23
    Senior Member TerraCottaGamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Kunming, China
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek Marlin 7
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are likely going to have to go used at that price point. But that is not a problem as there are many great used bikes to be found.

    I am similar size to you - 5'9 and 330. I ride a Trek Marlin. It is a mountain bike style.

    Any decent brand mountain bike will work for you. Most of them are rated for 300. But keep in mind that is 300 pounds riding hard trails. The style of riding you will be doing is very similar to what I do and I have no issues at all.

    With no local bike shop around it will be a bit more difficult to get you going. But, with no other choice, the internet can be a good thing. If you have any mechanical skill at all you will be able to find all the info you need on here to get you set up and running.

  24. #24
    Senior Member bassjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9-4
    Posts
    991
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Trek that's close to you would be my choice. That's a nice bike for that price.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •