Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-15, 09:23 AM   #1
ClaretMike
Member
Thread Starter
 
ClaretMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lancashire, UK
Bikes: Saracen Raw Downhill
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New roadie purchased......happy clyde

Well after much deliberation....bike shop visits and internet surfing, today I purchased the Giant Defy 4 2015.....my first road bike.

Cant wait for it to arrive in my LBS and get out there, get fresh air and get some much needed exercise.

Happy happy Clyde
ClaretMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 09:39 AM   #2
dagray 
Senior Member
 
dagray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Boardman, Oregon, USA
Bikes: Orbea Orca, Raleigh Revenio 2.0, Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed
Posts: 1,210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Congrats, ride the heck out of it.

Now you get to pick out pedals and saddles

Dave
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 09:45 AM   #3
ClaretMike
Member
Thread Starter
 
ClaretMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lancashire, UK
Bikes: Saracen Raw Downhill
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks....I intend to.
They didnt have a medium frame so its on order but due to work commitments I cant collect it until a week tomorrow.

Cant wait to get into the roadie cockpit.
ClaretMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 09:56 AM   #4
dr_lha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central PA
Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper
Posts: 4,624
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Congrats, enjoy it!
dr_lha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 10:24 AM   #5
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi
 
Chitown_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Listen, we can't REALLY comment until there is a picture....I'll wait.....

I kid, congrats and enjoy! But seriously, we need pics!
Chitown_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 03:54 PM   #6
ClaretMike
Member
Thread Starter
 
ClaretMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lancashire, UK
Bikes: Saracen Raw Downhill
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike View Post
Listen, we can't REALLY comment until there is a picture....I'll wait.....

I kid, congrats and enjoy! But seriously, we need pics!
Thanks guys
As soon as it arrives at my LBS and I pick it up, I certainly shall be putting pics up.

Separate note....has anyone had experience of clipless pedals? How easy are they to get used to?
ClaretMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 08:15 PM   #7
gjhsu
Senior Member
 
gjhsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: Focus Cayo 4.0 | Fuji Cross 1.3
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaretMike View Post
Thanks....I intend to.
They didnt have a medium frame so its on order but due to work commitments I cant collect it until a week tomorrow.

Cant wait to get into the roadie cockpit.
Congrats! You'll definitely rack up the miles fast, whether you go 5 miles or 50 miles a ride. It's so much fun!
gjhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 08:16 PM   #8
gjhsu
Senior Member
 
gjhsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: Focus Cayo 4.0 | Fuji Cross 1.3
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaretMike View Post
Separate note....has anyone had experience of clipless pedals? How easy are they to get used to?
I was hesitant on the clipless pedals at first, but it only took a couple of rides to get used to it. Just remember to adjust the tension pretty loose at first, or you'll get to do the slow-motion fall that everyone does. Better yet, get the slow-motion fall out of the way early
gjhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-15, 11:35 PM   #9
mikiek
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhsu View Post
I was hesitant on the clipless pedals at first, but it only took a couple of rides to get used to it. Just remember to adjust the tension pretty loose at first, or you'll get to do the slow-motion fall that everyone does. Better yet, get the slow-motion fall out of the way early
I'll answer the opposite - tried cleats, HATE them. I've been riding almost a year with some good platform pedals. I get a few scowls from the pretty uniform crowd but who cares. Shimano and maybe others also make a pedal for cleats on one side, platform on the other.
mikiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-15, 02:44 AM   #10
jjjjjjay
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Clarksville, IN
Bikes: Giant Esacpe 2, Trek 2.1
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shimano M520 have worked out well for me as first set of clipless pedals. Have them on both of my bikes.

If I was going to do much off-road riding, I would likely remove. Alhough many serious off-roaders use them too, from what I gather.

For the road, there is no question they are an upgrade and a must for the full roadie experience... haha...
jjjjjjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-15, 05:59 AM   #11
Null66
Senior Member
 
Null66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Garner, NC 27529
Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love crank brothers combined with mountain shoes.
Easy in, easy out, great float and can walk around w/o walking on metal...
Null66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-15, 10:22 AM   #12
ClaretMike
Member
Thread Starter
 
ClaretMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lancashire, UK
Bikes: Saracen Raw Downhill
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm now in possession of the beast. Took it for a quick spin around the block......feels strange but I suppose it takes some getting used to. Plan on starting small and just taking it around the block every night to get used to the shifting and geometry and slowly increase the distance week by week. Not because I feel unfit but just to get used to the bike and feel.

Many happy miles ahead.
ClaretMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-15, 01:19 PM   #13
WonderMonkey
Senior Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vandalia OH
Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaretMike View Post
I'm now in possession of the beast. Took it for a quick spin around the block......feels strange but I suppose it takes some getting used to. Plan on starting small and just taking it around the block every night to get used to the shifting and geometry and slowly increase the distance week by week. Not because I feel unfit but just to get used to the bike and feel.

Many happy miles ahead.
Awesome! Last year was my first and I felt odd as well. All year I eased into it from just getting used to the critter to venturing into the drops and so on. If you have not already make sure you get a fit from a qualified person and as your body changes get the fitting done again.

My road bike has it's own facebook page. I set it up as the bike doesn't like me and doesn't even know my name and makes fun of me.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-15, 03:16 PM   #14
ClaretMike
Member
Thread Starter
 
ClaretMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lancashire, UK
Bikes: Saracen Raw Downhill
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
Awesome! Last year was my first and I felt odd as well. All year I eased into it from just getting used to the critter to venturing into the drops and so on. If you have not already make sure you get a fit from a qualified person and as your body changes get the fitting done again.

My road bike has it's own facebook page. I set it up as the bike doesn't like me and doesn't even know my name and makes fun of me.
Looking forward to properly getting used to it now bit by bit.
What is your cycles facebook profile? I might add it and get some useful ideas and inspiration.
ClaretMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-15, 03:49 PM   #15
WonderMonkey
Senior Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vandalia OH
Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaretMike View Post
Looking forward to properly getting used to it now bit by bit.
What is your cycles facebook profile? I might add it and get some useful ideas and inspiration.
https://www.facebook.com/Ravi.Revenio

I don't post a bunch on it but here and there I throw down some words.
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-15, 08:49 AM   #16
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice
 
vesteroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 1,608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They are nice bikes, I owned a similar one for several years.

Dont fall into the "fit" trap at this point. Get the bike set up for you by the LBS to close enough. Any bike shop worth its fee is able to set it up for a brand new rider, in the least aggressive position possible. They should be able to get the seat set correctly in both height and setback.

Before you start changing things, get some miles under your belt. Its going to hurt, get use to it. Its going to make your hands numb, your knees hurt etc. Your shoulders and tricepts will get tired, sore, etc. Your butt is going to hurt.

Ride a month, get use to riding. THEN worry about the bits and parts. It is very hard to do a real proper fit on a brand new rider as they have not even gotten down the mechanics of riding.

If you start throwing money at the problems now, you will only throw more money later.
vesteroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-15, 01:30 PM   #17
Black wallnut 
Senior Member
 
Black wallnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ellensburg,WA
Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux
Posts: 2,867
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
They are nice bikes, I owned a similar one for several years.

Dont fall into the "fit" trap at this point. Get the bike set up for you by the LBS to close enough. Any bike shop worth its fee is able to set it up for a brand new rider, in the least aggressive position possible. They should be able to get the seat set correctly in both height and setback.

Before you start changing things, get some miles under your belt. Its going to hurt, get use to it. Its going to make your hands numb, your knees hurt etc. Your shoulders and tricepts will get tired, sore, etc. Your butt is going to hurt.

Ride a month, get use to riding. THEN worry about the bits and parts. It is very hard to do a real proper fit on a brand new rider as they have not even gotten down the mechanics of riding.

If you start throwing money at the problems now, you will only throw more money later.
This makes some sense. I will take issue with the level of pain though. I agree that you should expect to become tired and have small aches and pains. Seat discomfort is likely to happen. Knee pain and numbness anywhere should be dealt with sooner rather than later.

Enjoy your new bike. Keep it fun and you will be more likely to keep riding. Clipless pedals may be a good move for you. It is doubtful you will fall as much as I did but I evntually got over it and now can track-stand for short periods of time.
__________________
Sir Mark, Knight of Sufferlandria
Black wallnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-15, 01:31 PM   #18
ClaretMike
Member
Thread Starter
 
ClaretMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lancashire, UK
Bikes: Saracen Raw Downhill
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks.

Took it for a small ride tonight. A bit twitchy as I'm used to mountain bike sized tyres but it felt really smooth. Just planning on doing small rides to get used to the posture etc first. Its a learning curve.

There's a cycle track not far from where I live so I'll be heading down there in the coming weeks to ride away from traffic.
ClaretMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-15, 11:24 AM   #19
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice
 
vesteroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 1,608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black wallnut View Post
This makes some sense. I will take issue with the level of pain though. I agree that you should expect to become tired and have small aches and pains. Seat discomfort is likely to happen. Knee pain and numbness anywhere should be dealt with sooner rather than later.

Enjoy your new bike. Keep it fun and you will be more likely to keep riding. Clipless pedals may be a good move for you. It is doubtful you will fall as much as I did but I evntually got over it and now can track-stand for short periods of time.

Not trying to be opposite, but let me clarify. I have never done a ride of any length without seeing people letting go of the handle bar with one hand, holding their arm down, and flexing the fingers back and forth. Every one gets numb hands at some point (or getting tingly). I have had knee pain every time I have gotten back on the wagon. Never debilitating, just there. IT goes away after a few months and I get better in shape. I have seen so many people take the fit thing to heart and go buying new bars, stems, saddles etc, and they never get use to riding. I have seen post on here where people have changed those things 3 times and dont have 300 miles on their bike. Its easy to believe a new xyz will make you more comfortable, but until you get use to riding, and harden up a bit, your never going to get a toy to take that pain away.

Each to their own however, just trying to save someone a few bucks based on past experiences.
vesteroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-15, 03:33 PM   #20
ClaretMike
Member
Thread Starter
 
ClaretMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lancashire, UK
Bikes: Saracen Raw Downhill
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feels good and fast but i'm trying to peg the speed back for now and just get used to the bike in general. Feels twitchy but i suppose thats par for the course coming from a steel framed tank of an MTB.

Not getting any real pains apart from the saddle. Again par for the course.

I'll put some pics up when i figure out how to do it
ClaretMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-15, 04:45 AM   #21
HvPnyrs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In The Middle Of "Out There" / Downtown "Lost Angels"
Bikes: 2001 Trek 520 - Hvy Hauler, Epic Adventure Bike / 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0 - Sporty Quick Bike
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
WHOA, WHOA, there young man, settle down.

One most show Proper, "RESPECT", "REVERENCE" and "DECORUM".

Roadie Must Never refer to their NOBLEST of techno steeds as 'twitchy',
such DISRESPECT PERISH the very Thought.
Rather, the Appropriate Term is "RESPONSIVE"
Similarly, narrow, high pressure tires coupled to stiff frames are NEVER "harsh riding". The Correct Expression is "SPIRITED". MAKE NOTE of these "APPROVED TERMS".
You HAVE BEEN WARNED!


Small suggestion,
My experience has been that riders transitioning to roadbikes, from low pressure fat tire bikes, tend to be a bit careless of tire pressure ( pffft, I aired this bad boy up at the gas station a few weeks ago, should still be good to go ). It's just such a good habit to spend a few seconds to check and top up your tires, before heading out on your thoroughbred.

Last edited by HvPnyrs; 03-25-15 at 06:42 AM.
HvPnyrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31 PM.