Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-17, 02:46 PM   #26
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels
 
SloButWide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA Midwest
Bikes: In Signature
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
Exactly right. The OP's request was to keep hands warm on the bike. For that, pogies are hands down (no pun) the best solution. They work and they work very well.

Every activity in the winter is going to require some tweak to optimize keeping appendages warm. I spend a lot of time outdoors skiing in the winter in both a winter professional role (any weather down to deep subzero) and in support of alpine racing programs. I can tell you that what I do for that role is very different from what I use for cycling. Those gloves while working outdoors skiing would not work cycling (they would be too warm) and, obviously, using pogies skiing is impractical. So there is not going to be one solution that fits all applications, it's just not going to happen.

J.
Actually, OP later revealed they have Raynaud's Disease. Pogies, gloves, etc. help your hands conserve warmth; when Reynaud's strikes, your hands don't warm. The circulation in them is severely restricted. An external heat source may be the only viable option, and chemical heater packs don't warm the fingers.
__________________
"I had a great ride this morning, except for that part about winding up at work."

Bikes so far: 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan),

SloButWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 03:05 PM   #27
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 29,773
Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloButWide View Post
Actually, OP later revealed they have Raynaud's Disease.
You are mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Doofus View Post
I should clarify: I've never been diagnosed with Raynaud's.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 03:09 PM   #28
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels
 
SloButWide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA Midwest
Bikes: In Signature
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
You are mistaken.
Thank you. I guess my attention wandered between the posts where Raynaud's was discussed and the disclaimer.
__________________
"I had a great ride this morning, except for that part about winding up at work."

Bikes so far: 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan),

SloButWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 03:17 PM   #29
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: N+1=5
Posts: 3,061
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptempel View Post
OP, how cold does it get in Memphis, TN? I'm doubting there are many days below 20F like my hood. If so, then just two pair of gloves (heavy and light) should be good enough for cycling. If you also have a motorcycle, then the electric gloves may make more sense like a poster above mentioned. But I think they are over the top for cycling in your area. I get by with Perl Izumi Thermal Lite and amfib gloves.
Cold is going to be a matter of acclimation. While you and I might think of 20F as warm, someone in a warmer climate is going to see that as bitter cold.

I'm up here in Minnesota (we know cold). I have been going back and forth with a guy who moved here from Atlanta this summer about what winter would be like. He couldn't believe how "cold" 20F was the first time we had temps that cold. I told him that would feel warm when he'd been through -20F. Sure enough, -20F came and went and he couldn't believe how warm it was and even was walking around with his jacket unzipped like the rest of us. It's also why it's so funny to us Frozen Northlanders when we go spring skiing in the mountains and all the southerners show up wearing what we'd wear for subzero and the temp is around 30-40F.

J.
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 03:21 PM   #30
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 25,075
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Mittens will always be warmer than fingered gloves ..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 03:47 PM   #31
Giant Doofus 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Giant Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Memphis, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloButWide View Post
Actually, OP later revealed they have Raynaud's Disease. Pogies, gloves, etc. help your hands conserve warmth; when Reynaud's strikes, your hands don't warm. The circulation in them is severely restricted. An external heat source may be the only viable option, and chemical heater packs don't warm the fingers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
You are mistaken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloButWide View Post
Thank you. I guess my attention wandered between the posts where Raynaud's was discussed and the disclaimer.
I apologize for the confusion. I hadn't realized that the word "Raynaud's" was part of the product name in the link I posted. That is likely what caused the misunderstanding. I will say, though, that my trouble with cold hands does seem to be on the extreme end of the spectrum among people I know, even though I am generally stoic about physical discomfort. The pain from cold (only in my hands) is pretty intense, and I can normally only warm my hands back up again by doing something like wrapping them around a hot mug of tea.
Giant Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 03:49 PM   #32
Giant Doofus 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Giant Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Memphis, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
Cold is going to be a matter of acclimation. While you and I might think of 20F as warm, someone in a warmer climate is going to see that as bitter cold.

I'm up here in Minnesota (we know cold). I have been going back and forth with a guy who moved here from Atlanta this summer about what winter would be like. He couldn't believe how "cold" 20F was the first time we had temps that cold. I told him that would feel warm when he'd been through -20F. Sure enough, -20F came and went and he couldn't believe how warm it was and even was walking around with his jacket unzipped like the rest of us. It's also why it's so funny to us Frozen Northlanders when we go spring skiing in the mountains and all the southerners show up wearing what we'd wear for subzero and the temp is around 30-40F.

J.
I know what you mean! I used to live in Michigan, and what I think of as "cold" in Memphis is what I thought of as "early spring" back then. I tolerated the cold in Michigan really well and enjoyed outdoor activities even in the most frozen of months, but even then, I always had trouble with my hands being painfully cold.
Giant Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 03:53 PM   #33
Giant Doofus 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Giant Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Memphis, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
$150 can buy a hell of a lot of chemical glove-warmers

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hot-Hands...-10pk/17808715

Also, you can buy reusable warmers that are filled with a special solution so that you can boil the pouch to cause a chemical reaction that stores potential heat energy, and then "click" an activator inside the pack and that starts a reaction that slowly releases heat back out.

There seem to be many companies that make these, all with "click" in their name:

https://www.google.com/search?q=reus...ing+pack+click
Good idea. I'll look into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
This is really the answer.

I get cold hands easily after having repetitively frostbitten my hands over the years. Yet, with pogies I can ride even at cold temps (i.e. near zero fahrenheit) with a light glove and have hands that are very warm.

J.
Really interesting! I've seen Bar Mitts mentioned before but never really followed up on them. I'm going to check around to see if I can find some that will work with my moustache bars.
Giant Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 03:54 PM   #34
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: N+1=5
Posts: 3,061
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Doofus View Post
I know what you mean! I used to live in Michigan, and what I think of as "cold" in Memphis is what I thought of as "early spring" back then. I tolerated the cold in Michigan really well and enjoyed outdoor activities even in the most frozen of months, but even then, I always had trouble with my hands being painfully cold.
I too have problems keeping my hands warm - I've frostbitten them multiple times - so I'm pretty focused on schemes to keep my hands warm. But I think that too, even with the added sensitivity, has a large element of acclimation to it. For example, in the first cold of the year, I'll usually wind up with my heavy mittens on. Later in the year when I've been through some deep subzero, those same mittens would wind up wet from sweat at the same temperature I felt cold in at the beginning of the season.

j.
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 04:35 PM   #35
2 Piece
Senior Member
 
2 Piece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia
Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
Semantic games you play.

You want to keep your hands warm on a bike you do pogies. You want to keep your hands warm skiing, get high grade mittens and use heater packs. You want to keep your hands warm cross country skiing, you do something different. There is no one solution that is optimal for all of these applications. The request was for keeping hands warm on a bike.

So to be explicit, I wouldn't spend $150 to keep my hands warm on a bike. I also am about 90% sure that they wouldn't work for me. Either they are inadequate in the wind proofing (the problem with the vast majority of gloves) and/or I would be warm until my hands sweated from exertion and then they would be cold. So, my answer to all questions by the OP is "no, these would not be a great choice. There are much better choices for a lot less money to keep your hands warm on the bike. For the bike, look at Pogies first."

FWIW, I bought one pair for $35 (bar mitts) on sale on Amazon. I bought another pair for $45 not on sale at the time. You can get them pretty inexpensively if you shop around. Here's a pair that look decent for $19.

I'm glad you enjoy your gloves.

J.

The Semantic games I play? I played no games, you however...
If you want to keep your hands warm with poagies go ahead I hope they do you well. I'll try to stay on topic and answer the OP question without trying to force some other option upon them.
You want to buy many different gloves for different situations go for it the economy depends on you. I will pay more for one good set that that will do a very decent job of many different situations.

"I'm glad you enjoy your gloves." Talk about semantic games. I use electric "liners" not electric gloves- there is a difference, a big difference. I do use and stated I use a water and wind resistance medium weight Pearl Izumi over the heated liners, not heated gloves.
2 Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 08:07 PM   #36
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: N+1=5
Posts: 3,061
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
I am glad you enjoy your gloves (liners are still gloves).

You're missing my point - I don't ski in bike gloves and vice versa.

What temp is your set up good to? How low will it go?

J.
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 03:15 PM   #37
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 5,177
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
I wore an electric vest and sometimes used electric (Gerbings) gloves when I had my last motorcycle, and they recommended you have enough power generation on the bike to get the most out of their products. Granted that was years ago, but I wonder what kind of runtimes you'd get with these. They might be a great idea at first, but only until the battery runs down.

And with Raynaud's, the feet are usually effected before the hands.
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 01:59 AM   #38
dabac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 6,447
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post

Also, you can buy reusable warmers that are filled with a special solution so that you can boil the pouch to cause a chemical reaction that stores potential heat energy, and then "click" an activator inside the pack and that starts a reaction that slowly releases heat back out.
While they work - technically - I've never found them particularly useful for outdoors activities. They carry a rather limited amount of heat, both in time and temperature. I've tried using them for tour skating, and more often than not found them already activated and spent when I wanted to use them.
dabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-17, 05:57 AM   #39
2 Piece
Senior Member
 
2 Piece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia
Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
I am glad you enjoy your gloves (liners are still gloves).

You're missing my point - I don't ski in bike gloves and vice versa.

What temp is your set up good to? How low will it go?

J.
Sorry for delay in response, I have had some pretty serious health issues for last 6 months and actually just now noticed your post.

I ride (use to ride) year around. The coldest I have been out on my bicycle has been 13 degrees Fahrenheit and 18 degrees Fahrenheit on the motorcycle. I only go out when its this cold to commute about 6 miles each way, not for pleasure riding.

Yes, I love my liners and they work on 12 volts and come with two very small and light weight 12 volt batteries, one for each liner. The battery pack operation will last at least several hours, I have never timed them. The one thing I notice about these liners are- they never get real hot, but then again I never notice my hands or most importantly my fingers feeling cold. On my motorcycle the liners come with a cord that plugs into my Battery Tender pigtail. My motorcycle is a Kawasaki Versys 1000LT and in has hand guards factory installed which helps deflect the wind generated while riding. I have no heated hand grips, they never made any sense to me in that all of the cold weather riding I have done the palms of my hands never get cold, just finger and mostly top outer part of my hands. The liners address this and keep my hands comfortable. I use a light weight Pearl Isumi outer glover for their water resistance and to help keep the heat generated by the liners.

I do understand your point that you do not ski in bike gloves and vice versa, its a good point. However my point is I am more of a minimalist, I look for items that will serve several functions well. I know I will never be able to have the "best" of both worlds doing this, but then again I would rather have fewer things to keep up with and to maintain. So far this has worked well with the 12 volt liners. If I were to make an attempt on Mount Everest, I know I would need more than the 12 volt liners, in fact they would be a total waste of weight and useless for that. But for my commute on either my motorcycle or bicycle at least down into lower teens they work great.

Happy trails

Last edited by 2 Piece; 03-31-17 at 05:59 AM. Reason: spelling
2 Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-17, 07:18 AM   #40
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: N+1=5
Posts: 3,061
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Piece View Post
Sorry for delay in response, I have had some pretty serious health issues for last 6 months and actually just now noticed your post.

I ride (use to ride) year around. The coldest I have been out on my bicycle has been 13 degrees Fahrenheit and 18 degrees Fahrenheit on the motorcycle. I only go out when its this cold to commute about 6 miles each way, not for pleasure riding.

Yes, I love my liners and they work on 12 volts and come with two very small and light weight 12 volt batteries, one for each liner. The battery pack operation will last at least several hours, I have never timed them. The one thing I notice about these liners are- they never get real hot, but then again I never notice my hands or most importantly my fingers feeling cold. On my motorcycle the liners come with a cord that plugs into my Battery Tender pigtail. My motorcycle is a Kawasaki Versys 1000LT and in has hand guards factory installed which helps deflect the wind generated while riding. I have no heated hand grips, they never made any sense to me in that all of the cold weather riding I have done the palms of my hands never get cold, just finger and mostly top outer part of my hands. The liners address this and keep my hands comfortable. I use a light weight Pearl Isumi outer glover for their water resistance and to help keep the heat generated by the liners.

I do understand your point that you do not ski in bike gloves and vice versa, its a good point. However my point is I am more of a minimalist, I look for items that will serve several functions well. I know I will never be able to have the "best" of both worlds doing this, but then again I would rather have fewer things to keep up with and to maintain. So far this has worked well with the 12 volt liners. If I were to make an attempt on Mount Everest, I know I would need more than the 12 volt liners, in fact they would be a total waste of weight and useless for that. But for my commute on either my motorcycle or bicycle at least down into lower teens they work great.

Happy trails
Sorry to hear about your health issues - never a good thing and it's disruptive for sure. Hope you're doing better.

It's all about the application. A cold 6 mile commute is going to have different requirements than a 1-2 hour ride would have in the same conditions. It also depends on what "cold" means.

In cycling, as you've noted in riding a motorcycle, keeping the wind off the hands is a major component of keeping your hands warm. And as you've also inferred, keeping your hands warm - but not sweaty - is also of major importance. That's the difference in cycling gloves vs deep cold hand protection (i.e. ski gloves). Cycling gloves have less of a need for generating warmth and a higher need for breathability to keep your keeping your hands dry coupled with wind resistance. Skiing or gloves for deep cold have a greater need for generating or holding warmth and a much lower need for breathability. Cycling generates a lot more heat from exertion than does skiing or other less aerobic winter activities. For cyclists, that heat that can be leveraged but it has the joint problems of sweating and wind resistance. Difficult to find hand protection that solves all of those problems simultaneously. To my knowledge, has not been done yet.

J.
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-17, 08:55 AM   #41
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Durham, NC
Bikes: 72 Raleigh Super Course (daily commuter), 1973 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Raleigh Competition, 1976 Nishiki Professional, 1977 Nishiki International, 1983 Colnago Super, 90s Bianchi Eros (conversion to 650B in progress), 2010 ICE Trike
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
Have you tried poagies?
Below freezing this is what I use. The problem with heavier gloves is that you have to fight their bulk to get good grip on your bars/brakes. This causes pain and numbness for me. The poagies (AKA: barmitts or scooter mitts) create an insulated envelope into which you insert your thinly gloved hands. Nice and toasty unless it is mid teens or below.
Moe Zhoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:32 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION