Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-17, 12:45 AM   #1
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 14,658
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
If they only knew....

I went out shopping today. Picked up 40 pounds of chicken feed, then at another store, a gallon of ice cream and a few other things

As I was leaving, a portly fellow commented that my ice cream might melt, then inquired how far I had to go to which I casually replied about ten miles.

He then commented "It's amazing you can still do it!".

I suppose my beard makes me look a little older than I am I will admit that today was a bit short, only about 20 miles RT.

I just wonder what the guy would have thought if he knew what the longer commuting days were like. Riding halfway across the state? 100 miles? 200 miles? MUCH heavier loads?
CliffordK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 01:10 AM   #2
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830
Posts: 2,992
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I went out shopping today. Picked up 40 pounds of chicken feed, then at another store, a gallon of ice cream and a few other things

As I was leaving, a portly fellow commented that my ice cream might melt, then inquired how far I had to go to which I casually replied about ten miles.

He then commented "It's amazing you can still do it!".

I suppose my beard makes me look a little older than I am I will admit that today was a bit short, only about 20 miles RT.

I just wonder what the guy would have thought if he knew what the longer commuting days were like. Riding halfway across the state? 100 miles? 200 miles? MUCH heavier loads?

What bike and/or trailer combo were you using?
ColonelSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 01:22 AM   #3
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 14,658
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
What bike and/or trailer combo were you using?
Just traveling light today. An old Burley Kid's trailer being towed by my old Colnago Super road bike.

Tomorrow I'll pull out the cargo bike/trailer (as in the avatar).
CliffordK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 06:58 AM   #4
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Bikes: Bianchi Advantage, Giant Rapid, Specialized Roubaix SL2, Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold A3, Raleigh Serengheti MTB
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
You commute 200 miles?

I sometimes wonder what others think when they see me load up my panniers+trunk bag with groceries, like maybe they feel sorry for me because I have to carry it on a bike instead of a car. Ah, that poor man! Especially if it was raining or snowing.
mcours2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 07:22 AM   #5
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 17,347
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
back to the ice cream for a second. even tho 10 miles is not far, it would still take a little while to get it from freezer to freezer. I'm guessing you brought an insulated bag or something?
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 08:09 AM   #6
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Bikes: Bianchi Advantage, Giant Rapid, Specialized Roubaix SL2, Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold A3, Raleigh Serengheti MTB
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
It is a gallon worth...so it'd take some time. I'd be worried if it were just a pint.
mcours2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 08:27 AM   #7
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 14,658
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
You commute 200 miles?
Not on a daily basis...

But, I do regular trips between Eugene and Portland. My routes vary typically from 145 to 180 miles or so. I had to add a couple extra loops to hit 200. I count it as a commute because of riding to do activities at the end for a few days.

Last year I went for a short ride around Crater Lake with about 150 miles and a bunch of climbing to get there, but didn't quite make it all the way the first day.

It isn't uncommon to hit 40 miles round-trip riding around town. Why do Craigslist sellers always have to be on the opposite side of the city?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
back to the ice cream for a second. even tho 10 miles is not far, it would still take a little while to get it from freezer to freezer. I'm guessing you brought an insulated bag or something?
I have a mini re-usable shopping bag that I put it in, but it only gives a very slight insulating.

The outer edges get soft, but refreeze quickly without any significant damage.
CliffordK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 08:52 AM   #8
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
If the store's freezer was cold enough, I can see getting 10 miles home without serious melting occurring. It'd be tempting on very hot days to remove the melt periodically.


40 pounds of chicken feed, though, that's hard core!
pdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 09:14 AM   #9
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 5,287
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
My first commute was about 6 miles each way, and that was usually thought to be impossibly long by most people. My latest commute is a little more than 2 and people still think it's a long way, but are wondering if that would be possible for someone like Lance Armstrong.
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 10:09 AM   #10
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
Posts: 2,769
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
I sometimes wonder what others think when they see me load up my panniers+trunk bag with groceries, like maybe they feel sorry for me because I have to carry it on a bike instead of a car. Ah, that poor man! Especially if it was raining or snowing.
Since I hit my practical safe speed and pace quite a few years ago my goals have switched to consistency, all-weather/all-season riding and low-temperature thresh-hold. I love riding in the rain, snow and cold. A couple of years ago I rode home on icy streets with a 25-lb bag of ice melt salt in each Wald folding basket. (50lbs)
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 12:24 PM   #11
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
A couple of years ago I rode home on icy streets with a 25-lb bag of ice melt salt in each Wald folding basket. (50lbs)

Wow, I can hear the comments already. "You worried about getting stuck in the snow on your bike? Don't you want to shovel before you put on the salt?" Etc.
pdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 12:29 PM   #12
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
Posts: 2,769
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
Wow, I can hear the comments already. "You worried about getting stuck in the snow on your bike? Don't you want to shovel before you put on the salt?" Etc.
Yes, and that's just my wife...
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 02:02 PM   #13
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 10,401
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
You commute 200 miles?
I can testify that CliffordK recently rode up to Portland for a bike show on a vintage TT bike with a 61T chainring. The man is a beast of a rider. If they only knew indeed!
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 04:07 PM   #14
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Bikes: Bianchi Advantage, Giant Rapid, Specialized Roubaix SL2, Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold A3, Raleigh Serengheti MTB
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
I can testify that CliffordK recently rode up to Portland for a bike show on a vintage TT bike with a 61T chainring. The man is a beast of a rider. If they only knew indeed!
That is beastly, indeed!
mcours2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 04:49 PM   #15
treadtread
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 1,260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Heh, riders like CliffordK are inspiring

Last edited by treadtread; 07-11-17 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Edited to change folk to riders
treadtread is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:56 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION