Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    DNPAIMFB pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    My Bikes
    Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
    Posts
    4,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Apparently, I'm invisible...

    It's 6:20 p.m. and the sun has been down for about 30 minutes. It's dark. I'm riding home along on my usual route, the road is dry and there is now snow, rain, dust or other vehicles. I see a car approaching from the right. Out of habit, I'm looking at the car to see if it stops. It's a T-intersection and the car has a stop sign, also unobscured. Both of its headlights are functioning. The car comes to a halt with its blinker on to turn left. I have no stop sign and continue merrily along my way. I have the right of way.

    Lo and behold, the car launches toward me turning left, as I'm in the middle of the intersection. I instinctively unclip my right foot and start swinging it out of the way, as it would appear that I am about to be hit. The car comes to a sharp halt about 12 inches from me, the right headlight lined up to impact just ahead of my bottom bracket.

    Time slows down - I can see the driver is a ~35 year old woman with chin-length black hair and brown eyes. She is wearing a dark red wool coat with a white loosely-knit scarf. She is not wearing gloves. The vehicle looks to be a late-90's Toyota [Corolla?] sedan in a red/burgundy colour with a tan interior. I am approximately 7 feet from her, counting the length of the car hood and the twelve inches from my pedal to her bumper. I am shining my helmet-mounted 13W HID headlight [equivalent to ~40 Watts of focused halogen] directly at her. As I coast by the front of her car, she looks to the right, then left, but never in my direction - directly in front of her car. She drives away, and I am left with a combination of fear, anger and righteous indignation for the rest of my ride home.
    Proud Member of the HHCMF
    '06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jarery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bah, you had your foot unlcipped, you shoulda removed her headlights

    Seriously though, glad your ok.
    And yes, we are literaly invisible, and non threatening to cagers.
    Jarery

    -If you cant see it from space, its not a real hill
    -If two bikes are going in the same direction, ITS A RACE!

  3. #3
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you're ok. I've recently come to the conclusion that ped and cagers don't view cyclists as a threat because they don't think we move fast enough to be a threat. In your case, the woman may have seen you, but assumed there was no way you could move fast enough to close the gap between you and thus she figured she had enough time to make the turn.
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  4. #4
    hooptie driver
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pembroke Pines FL
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Wildwood
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excuse my newbness, what is a cager?

    Pinkrobe: Glad everything came out in a good way for you. Except your mood. Although moods and broen bikes are easily fixed and or replaced; a broken bone is not.

    Good job on your reaction to stop.
    What does Lance Armstrong and Me have in common?
    We are both the same type of cancer survivors and we are still rocking and rolling.
    Live more, complain less

  5. #5
    don't pedal backwards... MacG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker set up for commuting and loaded touring, old Sekine road frame converted to fixed-gear, various beaters and weird bikes, waiting on the frame for my Surly Big Dummy build
    Posts
    754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by osirisdon
    excuse my newbness, what is a cager?

    Pinkrobe: Glad everything came out in a good way for you. Except your mood. Although moods and broen bikes are easily fixed and or replaced; a broken bone is not.

    Good job on your reaction to stop.
    cager = lightheartedly derogatory slang for the driver of an automobile, which kind of resembles a cage when compared to a bicycle

    Glad you're alright, pinkrobe. I put together a homebrew halogen setup over the past few weeks (plenty of leisurely revisions and improvements as I went along) and I've had at least two instances now where cars literally stopped and waited like 15 seconds at cross-street stopsigns for me to approach and pass. I guess they can't figure out what the 50 watt light zigging towards them is and don't dare judge the speed lest it turn out to be a motorcycle or a freight train or something. I keep the 50 watt MR16 pointed pretty much straight ahead for getting the attention of absentminded drivers, and I have a 20 watt spot aimed down to cast a nice beam on the 30 feet in front of me. Handlebar-mounted switches to control system power and flip between high and low beams.
    from Minneapolis, with bike love

  6. #6
    34x25 FTW! oboeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro
    Posts
    6,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes! Do you use a blinker along with the bada55 HID?

    I have to agree with posts above suggesting that non-cyclists don't get how fast we can go. It happens all the time to me during the DAY, drivers acting as if I'm tooling along at a snail's pace when I am in fact going quite fast. Scary stuff ensues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Order
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy
    I do not want to be associated with the kind of riders that come through my neck of the woods on weekends, dressed in superhero costumes
    Do they wear capes?
    ---

    http://www.cycopaths.net/

  7. #7
    DNPAIMFB pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    My Bikes
    Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
    Posts
    4,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigh. I have a hard time staying mad at anyone, and I'm mostly glad I didn't get run over. I switched from a 10W to the HID halogen light at the beginning of January, and cars really do treat me differently [for the most part]. In the last month or so, I've had cars pull off to the side of the road as I approach on half a dozen occasions. They don't pull out in front of me [for the most part].

    I used to run an LED blinkie on the handlebar, but it became sort of moot after I got the HID. My wife had the same LED on her handlebars, and you can't see it from the side, and it's barely visible from the front past 10m. I made her take my 10W light. In terms of visibility, my pack, gloves, jacket, helmet, pants and shoes all have 3M reflective stuff on them, and I run a blinkie on my back all the time. I've been told that even under a weak light, I'm lit up like an x-mas tree from pretty much any direction.
    Proud Member of the HHCMF
    '06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    College Park, MD
    Posts
    535
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what the OP described definitely would have elicited a loud "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???" from me

    glad you're alright though

    do you wear a reflective vest/legbands/armbands in addition to your lights? if not, you'll find drivers give you even more respect if you have those things... at least that's what happened in my case

  9. #9
    DNPAIMFB pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    My Bikes
    Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
    Posts
    4,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by o-dog
    do you wear a reflective vest/legbands/armbands in addition to your lights? if not, you'll find drivers give you even more respect if you have those things... at least that's what happened in my case
    I'm afraid they'll think I'm a city worker and aim for me. Seriously though, things have been a lot better since I started running a headlight. Like I posted earlier, I'm covered in the reflective stuff, the same material they use on the vests.
    Proud Member of the HHCMF
    '06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning

  10. #10
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,692
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are OK, good bike handling!

    That's a typical driver move, expect a lot more. They do it in the day, to motorcycles with the headlgihts and turn signals on and other cars too. Even huge trucks. Expect it to always happen, stop if you have to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #11
    34x25 FTW! oboeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro
    Posts
    6,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by o-dog
    what the OP described definitely would have elicited a loud "WHAT THE #$%@ ARE YOU DOING???" from me
    Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Order
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy
    I do not want to be associated with the kind of riders that come through my neck of the woods on weekends, dressed in superhero costumes
    Do they wear capes?
    ---

    http://www.cycopaths.net/

  12. #12
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,567
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the speed thing is right on. Most cyclists I see on the roads around here are the types who can't afford a car. They go so slow I'd almost have a hard time balancing at that speed. Probably 6-8 MPH. I pass them going 2-4x their speed and I'm not a racer. If drivers are used to that, someone doing 25 MPH on a bike might be a surprise.

  13. #13
    Urban "Dirtbag" chennai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is weird that so many people who screw up when driving NEVER LOOK at you afterwords.

  14. #14
    Formerly Known as Newbie Juha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,654
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She was embarrassed, that's why she did not acknowledge you afterwards. I've had that happen to me in close call situations. Some people get confused, don't know what to do, so they pretend you don't exist and that nothing much happened.

    It gets funny when they have someone else in the car, shouting "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" or similar at them, with you doing the same outside. The "let's all move along, there's nothing to see here" routine becomes even more challenging, but some people will do their best to pull it off even then.

    --J
    To err is human. To moo is bovine.

    Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


    Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
    Community guidelines

  15. #15
    = cyclist's tan rat_factory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    the big D in the big T
    My Bikes
    '82 Miyata 310, '87 Scott Boulder, '87 Schwinn Le Tour, '91 Cannondale SM500, '96 Schwinn Clear Creek, '99 Schwinn MesaGS, '05 Rockhopper
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i've always wondered, can you report people like that for wreckless driving? i've had near death experiences like that and have been steamed beyond anything, but while, on the bike, i'm actually afraid the cager is gonna run me down for shouting. seems like something should be done.

  16. #16
    Wheee LilSprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    S. FL
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88 phase 1/ Surly 1x1/Cannondale R700 WSD 650c
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GEESH!!! Whoa! yeah, really glad you're ok
    If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    http://www.myspace.com/qwtrailbuilders
    rip sydney

  17. #17
    Bike Junkie aadhils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    My Bikes
    Orange Brompton M3L; Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange)
    Posts
    1,585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    It's 6:20 p.m. and the sun has been down for about 30 minutes. It's dark. I'm riding home along on my usual route, the road is dry and there is now snow, rain, dust or other vehicles. I see a car approaching from the right. Out of habit, I'm looking at the car to see if it stops. It's a T-intersection and the car has a stop sign, also unobscured. Both of its headlights are functioning. The car comes to a halt with its blinker on to turn left. I have no stop sign and continue merrily along my way. I have the right of way.

    Lo and behold, the car launches toward me turning left, as I'm in the middle of the intersection. I instinctively unclip my right foot and start swinging it out of the way, as it would appear that I am about to be hit. The car comes to a sharp halt about 12 inches from me, the right headlight lined up to impact just ahead of my bottom bracket.

    Time slows down - I can see the driver is a ~35 year old woman with chin-length black hair and brown eyes. She is wearing a dark red wool coat with a white loosely-knit scarf. She is not wearing gloves. The vehicle looks to be a late-90's Toyota [Corolla?] sedan in a red/burgundy colour with a tan interior. I am approximately 7 feet from her, counting the length of the car hood and the twelve inches from my pedal to her bumper. I am shining my helmet-mounted 13W HID headlight [equivalent to ~40 Watts of focused halogen] directly at her. As I coast by the front of her car, she looks to the right, then left, but never in my direction - directly in front of her car. She drives away, and I am left with a combination of fear, anger and righteous indignation for the rest of my ride home.

    Dang it! Almost the exact thing happened to me the other day. When the driver came to a halt, it was facing traffic going the opposite way. (good thing they had a red light). I was just passing through since I had the right of way, and then this idiot (who was doing a left turn) starts coming right at me. I thought he was trying to knock me down...

  18. #18
    <>< SoonerBent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    My Bikes
    RANS Tailwind
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're OK. I ride a motorcycle also and took a safety course to get my MC lisence. The one, most important thing I got out of the course is to always assume that you are invisible and that any car is going to pull out in front of you and be ready for it. That might make for overly cautious riding but it's saved my skin a number of times on the bike and the MC.

    SS

  19. #19
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,567
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rat_factory
    so i've always wondered, can you report people like that for wreckless driving?
    Reckless, maybe. Wreckless is a good thing.

  20. #20
    Rides again HiYoSilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    W. Sacramento Region, aka, Nut Tree
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Posts
    3,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aadhils
    Dang it! Almost the exact thing happened to me the other day. When the driver came to a halt, it was facing traffic going the opposite way. (good thing they had a red light). I was just passing through since I had the right of way, and then this idiot (who was doing a left turn) starts coming right at me. I thought he was trying to knock me down...
    I've said it before and I'll try once again. Beside the speed perception problem, the biggest problem is you are simply not seen from the left or right sides. This is a leading cause of car-bike accidents.
    Find a building with lots of glass and as you ride by at night see how much people can see of you with no lights shinning on you.

    Steps that work for me with night riding:
    Active
    ~~~~~~
    1. front fork side light on blinking mode
    2. 2 handlebar lights, flash back but also give side lights, blinking mode
    3. rear light with side light, steady and blinking mode [Cateye 1000]

    Passive
    ~~~~~~~
    1. reflective jacket
    2. reflective sidewalls
    3. reflective tape on rims and frame and helmet
    4. reflective shoes


    Naturally the biggest safety issue to is assume you are invisible. But with changes like I made, you will be hard pressed to say not seen with 8 bright LEDs: 5 yellow and 3 red. Usually the drivers around me, slow down to see the circus light show.

    Hi 'o Silver away

  21. #21
    daily rider: Xtracycle nicomachus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Davis, CA
    My Bikes
    Lots of bikes
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pinkrobe... others have already complimented you on your bike-handling skills, and i want to add that you write just as well as you ride. i don't know about you, but i find it therapeutic to write about such incidents after they happen. i hope you felt some relief just from recounting and sharing it.

    glad you're alright.

    edit: i also have to agree that the single most important safety consideration i make when riding is that i assume i'm invisible. i'm an aggressively defensive rider.
    live to ride | ride to work | work to live

    WTB -- one Campagnolo Atlanta '96 rim

  22. #22
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juha
    She was embarrassed, that's why she did not acknowledge you afterwards. I've had that happen to me in close call situations. Some people get confused, don't know what to do, so they pretend you don't exist and that nothing much happened.
    Also, she may have been scared. I try not to yell at motorists, but after a really close shave like what happened here, I've been known to yell something like "JESUS CHRIST!!!!" (yeah it's lame, but I try to stay under control).

    After a close call the adrenaline can really be flowing. The level of agitation and enhanced strength is obvious to the driver and they're probably scared of what you'll do. About 8 years ago after being hit by a van, I instinctively ripped the door open and was about to pound the guy into dog food. When I saw the sheer look of terror in his eyes, I realized I was out of control and calmed down so I could politely ask him to please watch for cyclists. I doubt he forgot that encounter. I used the experience to remind myself that accidents happen and that I need to come to terms with that.

  23. #23
    DNPAIMFB pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    My Bikes
    Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
    Posts
    4,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nicomachus
    pinkrobe... others have already complimented you on your bike-handling skills, and i want to add that you write just as well as you ride. i don't know about you, but i find it therapeutic to write about such incidents after they happen. i hope you felt some relief just from recounting and sharing it.

    glad you're alright.

    edit: i also have to agree that the single most important safety consideration i make when riding is that i assume i'm invisible. i'm an aggressively defensive rider.
    Thanks, I try to be eloquent when I'm angry. There's another thread that got started by somebody who was having a hard time dealing with a stressful ride. As I said there, I find it helps if I write about it. I also agree with the "ride like you're invisible" comments. I ride pretty agressively most of the time, but I make a concerted effort to stay out of driver's blind spots, always keep a hand on the brakes, etc. I don't trust cars and their ilk, and last night's episode justifies that.
    Proud Member of the HHCMF
    '06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning

  24. #24
    Guest
    Guest
    I get that constantly. That's why now, if I don't make eye contact, they automatically get right of way. It doesn't help at night, but I'd prefer to be on the safe side at night and just focus on riding more carefully and being very aware of my surroundings.

    Koffee

  25. #25
    domestique squeakywheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    off the back
    Posts
    2,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people will not want to make eye contact with the offended party after making a bone-head move in traffic. She was embarassed that she almost killed you and couldn't bare to look you in the eye.

    I have the opposite problem. Yesterday, I'm in the left turn lane waiting on a light. It turns green. Not an arrow mind you. Just a green light. I'm waiting on the car at the light facing me. They have the right of way. We look at each other for 5 or 6 seconds before they decide I'm not going. Maybe its just "Minnesota nice". Its bad manners to run over a cyclist, so just give them the right of way all the time (even if the rules of the road don't indicate to do so)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •