Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Indy Area
    My Bikes
    '06 Fuji Newest 2.0
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bike in Orlando? Help?!?

    First...I apologize if this is a bit off topic. If I need to move to a different thread, please let me know. I am new to bikeforums, and you guys (and gals) are the only ones that may have seen me around!

    I am traveling on vacation to Orlando next week, and since I am new to cycling (and commuting), I don't want to get "out of the groove" of riding every day or every other day... Does anyone here know of a place in Orlando where I can rent a bike?

    If someone in this forum has an extra bike that they are willing to rent out to me for a few days next week, it would be GREATLY appreciated! It would be fun to rider around a new city!

    Thanks for any help you guys can provide!!!

  2. #2
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no clue about rental places, but if they dont have it, you can always check a thrift store or a pawn shop for something to ride. And when you leave, you can pawn it back, or give it for thrift.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Durham, NC
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.2FX Hybrid, Puegeot, and an Electra Townie 8 spd internal
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you can accept the fate of riding a department store bike for a little while. As long as you get it back within thirty days they will normally let you return it. A "friend" of mine has done this twice at walmart. Once to cruise around on a road bike that they had. I rode that around for a couple of days, but the brakes were so bad I thought I might die. Then I wanted to ride some trails in the niehborhood, so I got the coolest looking 50 pound mountain bike they had. It had disc brakes in the front and shocks...Besides the bad shifting it actually worked pretty well. Each time I returned the bikes within 30 days and got a full refund, my reason was that I was just going to look at a different model. They really need to do something about the return policy. Anyway thats what I would do if I were in a different city on vacation.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    222
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What part of orlando are you going to be in? The riding here is really not very good to be honest.

  5. #5
    Mostly riding...mostly NM-NewRoadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    My Bikes
    1992 Trek 3 tube carbon 2200
    Posts
    178
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nasiralpharia
    Or you can accept the fate of riding a department store bike for a little while. As long as you get it back within thirty days they will normally let you return it. A "friend" of mine has done this twice at walmart. Once to cruise around on a road bike that they had. I rode that around for a couple of days, but the brakes were so bad I thought I might die. Then I wanted to ride some trails in the niehborhood, so I got the coolest looking 50 pound mountain bike they had. It had disc brakes in the front and shocks...Besides the bad shifting it actually worked pretty well. Each time I returned the bikes within 30 days and got a full refund, my reason was that I was just going to look at a different model. They really need to do something about the return policy. Anyway thats what I would do if I were in a different city on vacation.
    this sounds like pure scam artistry...i love it and can't wait to use it on my next vacation!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I travel to Orlando alot and ceridwen is right abot the riding there, the traffic is terrible.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Indy Area
    My Bikes
    '06 Fuji Newest 2.0
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the replies... That's too bad about the traffic. Maybe I won't even try if it is too bad.

    Are there any decent MUP's to hop on anywhere in the area? I'm not exactly sure where we will be...all I know is that it will be at a Marriott Vacation Club.

    I kinda like the thrift / pawn shop idea. I also really like the dept. store idea too! I just gotta justify it in my head first!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    222
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are there for Disney/Universal/Convention center type stuff, I've got no idea of the MUPs over there (I'm at UCF on the other side of town). I can tell you that traffic in that area is *bad* though. Even worse than on my side.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    My Bikes
    Trek 520
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple of links with maps. There are some pretty nice MUPs. What area of town will you be in? Saying A Marriot around here doesn't really narrow it down a whole lot . The long path that runs from Winter Park through to Apopka has some nice stretches, and is probably the best bet relatively close to the theme parks.

    http://www.metroplanorlando.com/site/plans/maps.asp

    http://www.cityoforlando.net/plannin.../tourmaps.html

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Indy Area
    My Bikes
    '06 Fuji Newest 2.0
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock
    Here are a couple of links with maps. There are some pretty nice MUPs. What area of town will you be in? Saying A Marriot around here doesn't really narrow it down a whole lot . The long path that runs from Winter Park through to Apopka has some nice stretches, and is probably the best bet relatively close to the theme parks.

    http://www.metroplanorlando.com/site/plans/maps.asp

    http://www.cityoforlando.net/plannin.../tourmaps.html

    Thanks Hemlock. These definitely help. Now I just need to find a bike or two (one for my brother)!

  11. #11
    Senior Member FLBandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    998
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're willing to drive a little (about 45 minutes) Cleremont is a much better place to ride. Less traffic, and even a few hills. Unsure about rentals but check onlune, I'm sure there's something.
    I wanna ride!
    '90ish Giant Perigee

  12. #12
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,640
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if Orange Cycle rents bikes but it's a great shop. Maybe give them a call.


    Quote Originally Posted by roadpig2001
    I travel to Orlando alot and ceridwen is right abot the riding there, the traffic is terrible.
    Last time I was in Orlando (last Sept) I saw lots of bike lanes and bign signs.
    If you want terrible traffic, come to Atlanta.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    My Bikes
    Trek 520
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think of this when I posted before, but I could swear that the stations on this trail (the one I mentioned before being nearer the attractions) rents bikes.

    http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide...est_orange.htm

    Try the contact info on that page, if they don't rent there they may be able to point you in the right direction.

  14. #14
    Senior Member O-Town's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Saint Pete
    My Bikes
    Seven Axiom Steel, Surly LHT
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took me over two months to figure out how to get from one side of Orlando to the other without getting in some pretty bad traffic areas. Best place to drive and ride to is the Clarmont area.

    Hemlock is right the bike shop at the West end of the trail rents bikes.

    Roadpig2001 and ceridwen are also right about the bad riding around here...actually I would go a step further and say the riding SUCKS around here. All things are relative to where your coming from though...I just moved from Oakland CA where the riding is a dream.
    Geee that would be nice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •