what would it be like? what factors would create the absolutely perfect, ideal situation for bike commuting?
here's a list of things I came up with:
- the job is a desk job or otherwise sedentary occupation
- the office is 5-8 miles away from home, or less
- the route is all low-traffic sidestreets and/or paths all the way from home to office
- the route also doesn't go through any rough neighborhoods
- unusual hours that don't put you on the road during rush hour, such as 10-7
- bike lockers or a secure indoor bikepark are available, or you're allowed to bring your bike inside
- shower facilities and lockers are available
- liberal dress code, or no dress code. business casual and you don't have to "walk in suited up"
I know some of you can do without some, or most of these conditions. I know I do without some of them. but, my point in this thread is to be theoretical for a minute and talk about the most absolutely perfect, ideal, no-excuse-not-to bike commuting situation.
does anyone have anything else to add to the above list? how does your commute/situation compare?