Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Central Florida
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kona Smoke vs Bianchi Sparta vs KHS Urban X, help me decide!
Most exalted ones:
I’m considering the Bianchi Sparta, Kona Smoke, and KHS Urban X as my commuter bike. I would appreciate any input you have. I’ve been using my Lemond road bike as a commuter but I would like something more purpose built for commuting.
Particulars of my commute, my requirements and the reason I’m looking at these three:
1. My commute in South Jersey is about three miles one way, over one moderate hill, but it may increase in length if I move.
2. I generally stick to the shoulder of the road but I hop some curbs and ride down some pretty bumpy cobblestones.
3. I’d like a more upright riding position than the head down position of my road bike.
4. I’d like to be able to commute in work clothes if I need to, which for me means slacks and a button down dress shirt, and leather dress shoes.
5. Chain guard. See item 4.
6. Around or under $400.00 US max price.
7. Rack suitable for carrying briefcase with laptop, lunch, etc.
8. Just strong enough to handle hopping curbs, cobblestones, etc, yet not a tank.
What are your experiences with these three bikes? Does one stand out above the others in terms of components? Coming from a mid-end road bike, I’m unfamiliar with most of these gear, brake and shifter component groups and styles.
Do you have any other recommendations?
Thanks in advance!