Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member Rodney Crater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sheldon Iowa USA
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    This has to be a first!

    Who would have ever thought that one could experience a total traffic slowdown on a trail. This morning I got stuck behind a Bobcat hauling a dead cow, the cow's legs sticking straight up in the air, in its front bucket. It took up the whole trail so I had to follow behind this atrocity for a good quarter of a mile in low gear with the wind blowing at us the whole time. Now was that a quirky ride or what!

  2. #2
    Dazed and confused Ellie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Kona Caldera, Raleigh Record ("Rusty"), Tiger Foldaway ("Cub")
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get to follow tractors on my commute a lot. Not, granted, with dead cows in their buckets.

    Price I pay for a rural commute. And drafting them is the reward!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, those Bobcats. For a second I thought you ment the animal Bobcat. I saw one pining for the fjords once on the side of the road when I live in Florida. It was big, but not big enough to carry a cow.

    Could be worse. Could have been drafting behind one of those double decker hog transporter trucks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Neist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread makes me smile.

    Over my one of the routes I go is an animal compost facility. I just try to sprint past it (and the quarter mile wide area of stench) when I go that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by soze
    I would use something in addition to the U-lock. Like a guy named Tony with a baseball bat.

  5. #5
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pining for the fjords?

    he's not pining, he's passed on!

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  6. #6
    Crankenstein bmclaughlin807's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
    Posts
    4,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Crater
    Who would have ever thought that one could experience a total traffic slowdown on a trail. This morning I got stuck behind a Bobcat hauling a dead cow, the cow's legs sticking straight up in the air, in its front bucket. It took up the whole trail so I had to follow behind this atrocity for a good quarter of a mile in low gear with the wind blowing at us the whole time. Now was that a quirky ride or what!
    Did you honk, cuss, and scream at him to get off 'your' trail?
    "There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

  7. #7
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne
    pining for the fjords?

    he's not pining, he's passed on!
    Mr Praline: It's not pinin', it's passed on! This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! This is a late parrot. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace, if you hadn't nailed it to the perch it would be pushing up the daisies! It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! This is an ex-parrot!
    One of my favorite MP sketches ever.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  8. #8
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    This looks like a job for........

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  9. #9
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr
    Mr Praline: It's not pinin', it's passed on! This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! This is a late parrot. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace, if you hadn't nailed it to the perch it would be pushing up the daisies! It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! This is an ex-parrot!
    Owner: Well, I'd better replace it, then. Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh, we're right out of parrots.
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,682
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I can't think of when a conversation about construction equipment, with dead live stock garlands, did not turn to Monty Python. Cleese, your influence spans continents.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •