Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,551
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Two good tailights from 1/4 mile

    I usually don't want to get 1/4 mile away from my bike in a dark place. But I had company to stay with my bike last night. So I could walk that far away. This is one Cateye TL-LD 1000 and one BLT Super Doppler, both with fresh lithium batteries. That's a total of three AAA batteries and two AA batteries. Not cheap but they last a little longer than other battery types, and are brighter. If you notice another taillight to the left of mine it's the other bike with almost dead alkalines in the same Cateye light. A good reason to have another light or extra batteries on a long ride. We were finishing a century and that light was fine three or four hours ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics! Yeah, baby!

    *gets marshmallow & roasting stick*



    Dang, these LEDs don't put out nearly the heat of... uhhh... The Taillight We Do Not Name Aloud

    How was the century?

  3. #3
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch out, some people might think its a UFO from 1/4 mile! Thats a great light!

  4. #4
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,551
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    Pics! Yeah, baby!

    *gets marshmallow & roasting stick*



    Dang, these LEDs don't put out nearly the heat of... uhhh... The Taillight We Do Not Name Aloud

    How was the century?


    It was a really nice day for riding down the edge of the bay to the ocean. Take a look if you like. Went by some ships and a sub etc.

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stevea...c_hHFBv4b9sKTD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #5
    Burn-em Upus Icephaltus Gojohnnygo.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I feel bad for the kid I passed last night on the way to work. I had my Qaud TL-D1000's all with fresh lithium batts. Who knows he just might buy a tail light now.
    Sick BubbleGum

  6. #6
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    My Bikes
    84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce
    Posts
    4,766
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those pics were not taken well enough to get a real good idea of the differences. Each pic was taken of the bikes in a different position then the other, including exposure, angle and location.

  7. #7
    Burn-em Upus Icephaltus Gojohnnygo.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can say one thing the Cateyes only last 5 to 10 hours using alkaline, after that the power drops off. Yes you can get up to 100 hours of lesser and lesser light output from them but they suffer in the brightness category. When I notice this the first few times, I started swapping them out and saving them for future use in a couple of headlamps I own. With the lithium batteries I get up to 40 to 60 hours of good output. Then for my own peace of mind, I swap them out for new lithium batteries.
    Sick BubbleGum

  8. #8
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gojohnnygo.
    I can say one thing the Cateyes only last 5 to 10 hours using alkaline, after that the power drops off. Yes you can get up to 100 hours of lesser and lesser light output from them but they suffer in the brightness category. When I notice this the first few times, I started swapping them out and saving them for future use in a couple of headlamps I own. With the lithium batteries I get up to 40 to 60 hours of good output. Then for my own peace of mind, I swap them out for new lithium batteries.
    That's gonna get expensive. You should hook yourself up with a Nova and be done with it

  9. #9
    Burn-em Upus Icephaltus Gojohnnygo.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats on my plate for this fall before the snow hits. The Nova will be a lifesaver.
    Sick BubbleGum

  10. #10
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW for newcomers wondering about Novas, here are photos of an LD1000 and a Nova. Note the wide "hot spot" of the Nova, it's sort of like a shotgun versus a rifle. And it's a big shotgun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,551
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    BTW for newcomers wondering about Novas, here are photos of an LD1000 and a Nova. Note the wide "hot spot" of the Nova, it's sort of like a shotgun versus a rifle. And it's a big shotgun!
    And...........if the power goes out you can still read a book at night !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •