Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Suggested method for mounting Freddy Fenders?

    I bought a pair of Freddy Fenders hardcore for my Poprad. I bought the touring/hybrid size. On the rear fender there is a clip at the front of the fender that is suppossed to clip on a cross bar between the chain stays. My bike doesn't have this cross bar. Anyone devise an alterative mount?

  2. #2
    militant commuter
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    lower manhattan
    Posts
    476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had that problem, but I have mounted several sets of those fenders. I would recommend zip-ties and electrical cable clamps to solve most mounting dilemmas. My girl attached her clip to the seat tube, which means the fender does not cover all the way to the bottom bracket but still has great coverage none the less.

    Good luck with them, I think you made a wise choice in getting the Freddy's.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there isn't a bar to clip on, is there something with a hole you can put a screw in? I couldn't use the clip on part on my hybrid, but I was able to place a screw that attached to a kickstand bracket between the chain stays. Otherwise, I agree with nycm'er with the zip ties. I had to use them to mount my front fender and they held up fine.

  4. #4
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,726
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob
    I bought a pair of Freddy Fenders hardcore for my Poprad. I bought the touring/hybrid size. On the rear fender there is a clip at the front of the fender that is suppossed to clip on a cross bar between the chain stays. My bike doesn't have this cross bar. Anyone devise an alterative mount?
    Yes. Use a large zip ty to go where the bridge would be. Then put another around that zip ty and through the fender hole.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jarery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Suggested method for mounting Freddy Fenders? "

    Take him out for dinner and drinks first
    Jarery

    -If you cant see it from space, its not a real hill
    -If two bikes are going in the same direction, ITS A RACE!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarery
    "Suggested method for mounting Freddy Fenders? "

    Take him out for dinner and drinks first
    +1!



  7. #7
    domestique squeakywheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    off the back
    Posts
    2,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not too optimistic about making these work. I would return them to the store if possible. That clip for the chainstay bridge is a pretty important support for the fender.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakywheel
    I'm not too optimistic about making these work. I would return them to the store if possible. That clip for the chainstay bridge is a pretty important support for the fender.

    What brand of fenders are recommended for bikes without a chainstay bridge?

  9. #9
    militant commuter
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    lower manhattan
    Posts
    476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakywheel
    I'm not too optimistic about making these work. I would return them to the store if possible. That clip for the chainstay bridge is a pretty important support for the fender.
    Not true, I find most of the support is in the clip that attaches through the brake mount, and the metal stays give the left, right rigidity. The clip at the bottom bracket needs to be secured but not necessarily clipped in. You also can drill or cut that material to suit your frame. The mounting of Freddy may be a PITA but once you have them secured, they are so worth it.

  10. #10
    LF for the accentdeprived
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    3,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nycm'er
    Not true, I find most of the support is in the clip that attaches through the brake mount
    Which is generally called the brake bridge or chainstay bridge...

    Your Poprad has no bridge at all? That's pretty bizarre, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    Do you deny that you are clueless or do you just think that "moron" didn't need to be tacked on there?
    Bike on flickr and on FGG

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LóFarkas
    Your Poprad has no bridge at all? That's pretty bizarre, actually.

    Yes, the Poprad has a bridge for a brake and I can screw the fender into that hole. It does not have one between the chain stays behind the bottom bracket.

  12. #12
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,726
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakywheel
    I'm not too optimistic about making these work. I would return them to the store if possible. That clip for the chainstay bridge is a pretty important support for the fender.

    No problem........it's easy.

    Using large zip ties like I suggested will work fine, mine has been going about 12 years with no problems.
    It's important to use big strong ties, not small ones and it will last forever. Any kind of fenders can be mounted on just about any kind of bike. One just makes brakets. NO reason at all to return the fenders, other full fenders have the same thing. One can make steel brackets out of perforated strapping used to hang pipes in the home store. And it can be made to look OK. You can make your own "P" clips too.


    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob
    What brand of fenders are recommended for bikes without a chainstay bridge?
    Literally any kind. Not a problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  13. #13
    domestique squeakywheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    off the back
    Posts
    2,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes
    No problem........it's easy.

    Using large zip ties like I suggested will work fine, mine has been going about 12 years with no problems.
    It's important to use big strong ties, not small ones and it will last forever. Any kind of fenders can be mounted on just about any kind of bike. One just makes brakets. NO reason at all to return the fenders, other full fenders have the same thing. One can make steel brackets out of perforated strapping used to hang pipes in the home store. And it can be made to look OK. You can make your own "P" clips too.




    Literally any kind. Not a problem.

    Huh? Zip ties that last 12 years with 50 hours per week sitting outside exposed to the sun? Most plastic would die in 2 summers of ultraviolet light for 50 hours per week. The sun's ultraviolet light will kill most things. Especially cheap plastic like zip ties are made of.


    Edit: If I didn't have a bridge between the chainstays, I would be looking for fenders that only require a clamping surface on the seat tube. Sure they aren't complete fenders that cover the whole wheel, but they don't require McGuiver techniques that won't last.
    Last edited by squeakywheel; 07-08-06 at 06:15 PM.

  14. #14
    45 miles/week Eggplant Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    2,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd be shocked at the survival ability of zipties. I ziptied crap in the engine bay of my car, for years they held up to multi-hundred-degree temps. They do get a little brittle as they age, but they still don't break unless you like pry on 'em or something.

    Plus, zipties weigh like nothing... so you can carry a half dozen in your pannier/bag/pocket for emergency repairs. A pretty good idea even if you don't use 'em for holding your fenders on.

    But if you're really worried about it, get some stainless steel ones. I know they make them for holding exhaust wrap on headers, so an auto performance shop will probably have 'em, but I'm sure some hardware store or something would have 'em cheaper.
    Treasurer, HHCMF Club
    Now living in the land of the cheesesteak.
    But working at a job where I can't surf BikeForums all day any more...

  15. #15
    45 miles/week Eggplant Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    2,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakywheel
    Sure they aren't complete fenders that cover the whole wheel, but they don't require McGuiver techniques that won't last.
    You sure you're in the right forum? An hour ago I just made a mudflap for my bike by cutting up a milk jug. McGuyverism is a major part of bike commuting.

    And partial fenders aren't worth a damn... Full fenders are where it's at.

    [edit] speaking of which I have a set of partial fenders you can have cheap...
    Treasurer, HHCMF Club
    Now living in the land of the cheesesteak.
    But working at a job where I can't surf BikeForums all day any more...

  16. #16
    domestique squeakywheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    off the back
    Posts
    2,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm having trouble imagining how the zip ties would hold the end of the fender stationary. Can't see it. The Freddy fender's chainstay bridge clip have a little nub that expects to sit in an indentation in the chainstay bridge. That little nub keeps the leading edge of the fender in the middle of the tire. It'st spring steel and it doesn't move side to side. How do you do that with two zip ties?

  17. #17
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,726
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakywheel
    Huh? Zip ties that last 12 years with 50 hours per week sitting outside exposed to the sun? Most plastic would die in 2 summers of ultraviolet light for 50 hours per week. The sun's ultraviolet light will kill most things. Especially cheap plastic like zip ties are made of.


    Edit: If I didn't have a bridge between the chainstays, I would be looking for fenders that only require a clamping surface on the seat tube. Sure they aren't complete fenders that cover the whole wheel, but they don't require McGuiver techniques that won't last.
    YEP. 12 years.


    Plastic zip ties. Large ones about 3/16" wide. Really tight too. Nice and strong. There are outside quality (ozone resistant) zip ties. But I just had these lying around. One could use galvanized steel perforated strapping too. It's easy. Or start with flat stock and just make what you want. The stainless bendable stays from bike racks make good brackets for odd things.

    The fenders that clamp to the seat tube don't keep your bike clean. Not theory, experience. Hey guess what......those fenders have plastic clamps to clamp them to the seat tube too. They must not last in the sun right? So why bother? The fenders are plastic too, they won't last either, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  18. #18
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,726
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakywheel
    OK, I'm having trouble imagining how the zip ties would hold the end of the fender stationary. Can't see it. The Freddy fender's chainstay bridge clip have a little nub that expects to sit in an indentation in the chainstay bridge. That little nub keeps the leading edge of the fender in the middle of the tire. It'st spring steel and it doesn't move side to side. How do you do that with two zip ties?
    1) Use a thick strong zip tie to go around both lower stays where the bridge would have been. If you want to protect the paint cut an old tube up to make a rubber piece to cover the stays first. Hold the inner tube in place with black tape so it will stay in place during installation.

    2) Take the metal thing off of the fender. Make a hole in the fender and zip ty the fender around both of the other two tie strands going around the stays. If the fender is rotated too far forward for you make a rear flap. I did not bother, it works fine. Or find some black plastic and make a fender extension for the lower front and just bolt or pop rivet it on to the existing fender.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  19. #19
    45 miles/week Eggplant Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    2,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I feel like adding... I've been casting a critical eye at my current mud-protection setup (thats why I just made a new mudflap, 3 inches longer and an inch or two wider than my old one) and I noticed that, using that build-in clip to hold it to the chainstay bridge, the fender is held too far from the tire. So I'm probably going to be removing the clip and going to an alternate mounting mechanism even though my bike has the bridge.
    Treasurer, HHCMF Club
    Now living in the land of the cheesesteak.
    But working at a job where I can't surf BikeForums all day any more...

  20. #20
    domestique squeakywheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    off the back
    Posts
    2,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes
    ...
    2) Take the metal thing off of the fender. Make a hole in the fender and zip ty the fender around both of the other two tie strands going around the stays. If the fender is rotated too far forward for you make a rear flap. I did not bother, it works fine. Or find some black plastic and make a fender extension for the lower front and just bolt or pop rivet it on to the existing fender.
    What keeps the end of the fender from moving side to side? Just the friction from tightening the second zip tie around the first one?

  21. #21
    domestique squeakywheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    off the back
    Posts
    2,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggplant Jeff
    Oh I feel like adding... I've been casting a critical eye at my current mud-protection setup (thats why I just made a new mudflap, 3 inches longer and an inch or two wider than my old one) and I noticed that, using that build-in clip to hold it to the chainstay bridge, the fender is held too far from the tire. So I'm probably going to be removing the clip and going to an alternate mounting mechanism even though my bike has the bridge.
    Both my bikes that have fenders also have horizontal dropouts. I keep the axel towards the front of the dropouts because I want the wheel close to the front side of the fender.

  22. #22
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,726
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakywheel
    What keeps the end of the fender from moving side to side? Just the friction from tightening the second zip tie around the first one?
    If you bring the fender down to the stays the radius on the end of the fender or the sides of the fender is touching the stays on each side holding it in the middle. If for some reason that does not work you could use two zip ties from the same hole in the fender, one to each stay. You just need to get the lenght of each tie correct. You might waste a couple of ties on the first try, but they are cheap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  23. #23
    LF for the accentdeprived
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    3,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I've been misunderstanding the whole issue. If you can bolt it onto the brake bridge, you're good to go. Why not just ziptie in to the seattube at the BB end? That's what I did on my road frame that doesn't have that silly bridge, either. Cut 2 holes into the fender where it gets closest to the seattube and thread a ziptie through, leaving the buckle thingy inside the fender so it's out of view. The Poprad looks like the fender would (almost) touch the seattube anyway. I put a preglued puncture patch under it onto the frame cuz it was rattling a bit. You can leave the end longer if you want the BB area to be protected. I'd cut it a bit above the chainstays so it doesn't rattle and take off some paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    Do you deny that you are clueless or do you just think that "moron" didn't need to be tacked on there?
    Bike on flickr and on FGG

  24. #24
    domestique squeakywheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    off the back
    Posts
    2,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LóFarkas
    Oh, I've been misunderstanding the whole issue. If you can bolt it onto the brake bridge, you're good to go. Why not just ziptie in to the seattube at the BB end? That's what I did on my road frame that doesn't have that silly bridge, either. Cut 2 holes into the fender where it gets closest to the seattube and thread a ziptie through, leaving the buckle thingy inside the fender so it's out of view. The Poprad looks like the fender would (almost) touch the seattube anyway. I put a preglued puncture patch under it onto the frame cuz it was rattling a bit. You can leave the end longer if you want the BB area to be protected. I'd cut it a bit above the chainstays so it doesn't rattle and take off some paint.

    That's what the Planet bike instructions say to do. Well not the making a new hole part, but they say to zip tie the steel clasp to the seatpost.

    Probably depends on the seat post angle and how close the wheel comes to the bottom of the seatpost. Probably the other method discussed above using two zip ties would work better for more frames than the Planet bike instructions because the end of the fender would be closer to the tire. Not sure though. I've never seen a bike without the chainstay bridge.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for the excellent advice. I will zip tie it in some fashion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •