Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-06, 09:27 AM   #51
pgoat
Batw Griekgriek
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Bikes: 1985 Trek 500, 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2002 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
all good points Craig

just as the 'best bike' selection depends on the rider and the type of riding typically done, the best commute bike depends on terrain, conditions, riding style, etc.

Having tried them all I prefer the mtb in NYC. But a hybrid or cross, etc - anything that will accomodate wider 700s and set up with a flat bar and bar ends - suits me fine too as a second choice.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-06, 09:47 AM   #52
jcm
Gemutlichkeit
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarose2000
Hi all - I'm sure this topic has been posted to DEATH somewhere out here, but with the search function down, it's all little hard to get the latest and greatest on everyone's experiences.

For a non-trivial commuter (>5 miles each way) on generally good quality roads, I was wondering what people's EXPERIENCE was with mountain versus road bikes.

I would love to hear specifically from people who have actually USED or OWNED BOTH mtn & road for COMMUTING; I know at least a million "theoretical" reasons that would be a legit argument, but I'd like to hear about the real deal from anyone who has made the switch and why.

To start off, would love to hear about:
1) Speed - how much faster and on what terrain?
2) Price
3) Comfort & carrying capacity
4) Flexibility - is it worth the whole new road bike if you just use it for commuting, or is a mtn/hybrid the best bang for your buck?

If you can, say a little about your rig and your route so we can all get an idea of where you're coming from.

Thanks all, great forums here!
Agarose2000


PS - I'm on a Gary Fisher Mamba with knobbies, doing a 5-7mile commute in the LA area each way, and am an occasional (but increasingly frequent) mountain biker on the weekend. Installed a rear rack and Jandd economy panniers (I highly recommend panniers!) but don't have fenders. Also use a rear red blinker. I ride fast (for me) and on well-maintained roads, but do duck out onto sidewalks (and go slow) in heavier high-speed traffic, especially on one-lane roads. Change at work, and do the full shirt & tie thing - no wrinkle problems yet with a decent folding job in the packing. (Did I say panniers help?)

1) Speed: No question a road bike is faster, given the lighter weight. I usually don't like to quote average speed. I just measure time of commute. On my Sequoia, I cover 3.8 miles in 19-21 minutes going to work. It's up a 1.2 mile, fairly steep hill with the rest steeply rolling. Very little flat running. Coming home doesn't count. On my '88 Trek 830, (pictured below) it's 23-25 minutes.

2) Price: The sky's the limit. For what it's worth, I blow by some very pricey bikes on that hill on a regular basis. One guy always seems to want to chase me. Well, maybe he's already put out 30 miles, I don't know. I paid $500 for that 830 back then. You might find it for $100 now. Great bike. The Sequoia's just a rec-roadie I got on sale for $950. Fun bike.

3) Comfort and Carrying capacity: Goes solidly to the all rigid, old school 830. It's as comfy as my 520 and has more hardpoints for racks and panniers! Just try and find that on a modern mtb. No question about carrying capacity: road bikes have little or none. I used a backpack with the Sequoia and ended up going back to the 830 after four days.

4) Flexibility: I use the 830 for everything including centuries. I don't have a single purpose bike. The Best Bang For The Buck? Very subjective here, but I favor recycling a good old bike. Few bikes get much use and good ones abound. Unless you find a good sale, you will be over charged at any LBS for a new one. I got my '98 Trek 520 (near mint) for $550, fully dressed with racks, fenders, Brooks and Nitto stuff. I can't believe what they go for new and naked. Same with my new Sequoia Elite. If it wasn't marked down to the degree it was, I'd have passed. Buy a decent used rigid mtb. They are the toughest bikes ever built, with the possible exception of Euro 3-speeds.

You didn't mention tour machines. They are also excellent all-rounders. However, due to the hills, my commuting is done on the 830 because it has OvalTech chainrings.

This pic shows a very large old school mtb. I bought it that way because I knew I would never be an off-road rider except for maybe the occasional greenbelt shortcut. Plus, in 1988, if you wanted a truly comfortable bike, you had to buy an mtb. It was that or a roadie, and there was nothing around like a Sequoia at the time either, with it's relaxed geo. It is one poor man's attempt at a good solid Expedition/Atlantis type. It now has North Road bars, Brooks B67, clipless peds, Freddies, and 1.5" Armadillos. Original mid-range Deore DR's and shifters which work as smooth and quiet as my other 105 $tuff. Sakae Ovaltech chainrings and cranks (forged). I recently changed the freewheel to a low of 28t. I've lost some climbing power but gained some road speed. I don't know - I might go back to the 32t.
jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-06, 11:29 AM   #53
pgoat
Batw Griekgriek
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Bikes: 1985 Trek 500, 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2002 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
cool bike!

I am still doing the backpack thing (actually waterproof mssngr bag today as rain is in the forecast).

I need to break down and try a blackburn or similar knock off rack.bag. My 93 Marin has all the fittings too, I just never used them.......
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 10:35 AM   #54
cplager
The Recumbent Quant
 
cplager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norwalk, CT
Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
Posts: 3,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll point out that I've commuted to work on a unicycle (couldn't find a rack, however ). If it were me and I was riding not off-road, throw some slicks on a mountain bike and your 80% of the way there.
cplager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 10:48 AM   #55
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,
Posts: 3,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarose2000 View Post
Super cool replies guys (girls). I wasn't aware that for shorter trips that time is roughly the same between both types of bikes and that the amount of effort seemed to be the main difference. I also had no idea that my front suspension fork made a front fender out of the question. I guess it doesn't rain much in Southern Cali, right?
Take a star nut and install it in the bottom of your steerer tube. Then you can put some sort of fender in there, making sure it has clearance for the suspension travel.
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 12:30 PM   #56
alan s 
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
Take a star nut and install it in the bottom of your steerer tube. Then you can put some sort of fender in there, making sure it has clearance for the suspension travel.
Probably figured it out by now. Had 8 years to think it over.
alan s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 01:12 PM   #57
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Bikes: 2013 Kona Jake, 2015 Kona Jake the Snake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 2006 Kona Kula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires, 1984 Pinarello Gran Turismo, 1982 Trek 614, 1979 Austro-Daimler, 1974 Steyr Clubman
Posts: 8,748
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplager View Post
I'll point out that I've commuted to work on a unicycle (couldn't find a rack, however ). If it were me and I was riding not off-road, throw some slicks on a mountain bike and your 80% of the way there.
Seatpost rack!
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 01:53 PM   #58
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,
Posts: 3,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
ZOMMBBEEEEE
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 01:57 PM   #59
cplager
The Recumbent Quant
 
cplager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norwalk, CT
Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
Posts: 3,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
Seatpost rack!
O.k. I admit I've thought of it since (it's been about 20 years since I've commuted using a unicycle). I'm currently rusty, so adding additional weight in weird places might not be such a good idea (although, compared to a backpack, maybe it reailly is a better idea). Might hurt more when I fall, though.

Huh. Lots of food for thought.
cplager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 05:11 PM   #60
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,752
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 06:59 PM   #61
zacster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Bikes:
Posts: 4,974
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow, 8 years. That may be a new record. Not even an errant post in between.
zacster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 09:43 PM   #62
wphamilton
rugged individualist
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 9,891
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplager View Post
O.k. I admit I've thought of it since (it's been about 20 years since I've commuted using a unicycle). I'm currently rusty, so adding additional weight in weird places might not be such a good idea (although, compared to a backpack, maybe it reailly is a better idea). Might hurt more when I fall, though.

Huh. Lots of food for thought.

What if you used two seatpost racks, front and back so that it stays balanced?
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 05:12 AM   #63
trailmix
Senior Member
 
trailmix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lexington, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
Probably figured it out by now. Had 8 years to think it over.
This made me laugh.
trailmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 07:16 AM   #64
cplager
The Recumbent Quant
 
cplager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norwalk, CT
Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
Posts: 3,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
Wow, 8 years. That may be a new record. Not even an errant post in between.
For the record, there was an errant post in between and it was deleted. As I click on "go to new posts", it wasn't obvious that the thread was a Zombie when I posted (yes, I could have looked at the start date before I clicked "new posts"...)
cplager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 09:07 AM   #65
wphamilton
rugged individualist
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Bikes: Nashbar Road
Posts: 9,891
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplager View Post
For the record, there was an errant post in between and it was deleted. As I click on "go to new posts", it wasn't obvious that the thread was a Zombie when I posted (yes, I could have looked at the start date before I clicked "new posts"...)
I thought you were just bored and wanted to break out a commuter unicycle.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 09:16 AM   #66
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate
 
Ramona_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Where the deer and the antelope take their business very seriously
Bikes: 1995 Trek 820
Posts: 3,331
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
ZOMMBBEEEEE
I like to see old threads revived because it means someone actually did a search on a topic instead of starting the umpteenth thread about "What did you name your bike?" or "Has anyone ever ridden an MTB with slick tires?" And sometimes new threads on the same topic will be started within hours of each other when if the thread-starter had even looked at "Today's Posts" they'd have seen the earlier thread.

#somepeopleschildren
Ramona_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 09:32 AM   #67
cplager
The Recumbent Quant
 
cplager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norwalk, CT
Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
Posts: 3,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I thought you were just bored and wanted to break out a commuter unicycle.
Nah... I'm enjoying my recumbents too much. I guess I could try commuting on a recumbent unicycle.

cplager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 11:27 AM   #68
Isaiahc72
Senior Member
 
Isaiahc72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Bikes: 2015 Kona Rove AL, 2016 Giant Escape 2, 1995 Giant attraction SS,
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarose2000 View Post
Hi all - I'm sure this topic has been posted to DEATH somewhere out here, but with the search function down, it's all little hard to get the latest and greatest on everyone's experiences.

For a non-trivial commuter (>5 miles each way) on generally good quality roads, I was wondering what people's EXPERIENCE was with mountain versus road bikes.

I would love to hear specifically from people who have actually USED or OWNED BOTH mtn & road for COMMUTING; I know at least a million "theoretical" reasons that would be a legit argument, but I'd like to hear about the real deal from anyone who has made the switch and why.

To start off, would love to hear about:
1) Speed - how much faster and on what terrain?
2) Price
3) Comfort & carrying capacity
4) Flexibility - is it worth the whole new road bike if you just use it for commuting, or is a mtn/hybrid the best bang for your buck?

If you can, say a little about your rig and your route so we can all get an idea of where you're coming from.

Thanks all, great forums here!
Agarose2000


PS - I'm on a Gary Fisher Mamba with knobbies, doing a 5-7mile commute in the LA area each way, and am an occasional (but increasingly frequent) mountain biker on the weekend. Installed a rear rack and Jandd economy panniers (I highly recommend panniers!) but don't have fenders. Also use a rear red blinker. I ride fast (for me) and on well-maintained roads, but do duck out onto sidewalks (and go slow) in heavier high-speed traffic, especially on one-lane roads. Change at work, and do the full shirt & tie thing - no wrinkle problems yet with a decent folding job in the packing. (Did I say panniers help?)
I actually prefer my hybrid. I've owned and commuted on both mountain bikes and road bikes. Mountain bikes have power for carrying things and adding racks and fenders but road bikes have speed and smooth rides.

But then a hybrid has a decent amount of speed and smoothness as well as a little more strength and the ability to attach racks and fenders.
Isaiahc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 11:58 AM   #69
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Bikes: 2013 Kona Jake, 2015 Kona Jake the Snake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 2006 Kona Kula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires, 1984 Pinarello Gran Turismo, 1982 Trek 614, 1979 Austro-Daimler, 1974 Steyr Clubman
Posts: 8,748
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona_W View Post
I like to see old threads revived because it means someone actually did a search on a topic instead of starting the umpteenth thread about "What did you name your bike?" or "Has anyone ever ridden an MTB with slick tires?" And sometimes new threads on the same topic will be started within hours of each other when if the thread-starter had even looked at "Today's Posts" they'd have seen the earlier thread.

#somepeopleschildren

Search is overrated. You use search when you want information. If you want to talk about something, you start a conversation. When was the last time anyone something new to talk about?
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 01:17 PM   #70
alan s 
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
Search is overrated. You use search when you want information. If you want to talk about something, you start a conversation. When was the last time anyone something new to talk about?
Plus, bike commuting is so different now than it was in the olden days. Think of all the innovations like new apps and um....
alan s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 01:31 PM   #71
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Bikes: 2013 Kona Jake, 2015 Kona Jake the Snake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 2006 Kona Kula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires, 1984 Pinarello Gran Turismo, 1982 Trek 614, 1979 Austro-Daimler, 1974 Steyr Clubman
Posts: 8,748
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
Plus, bike commuting is so different now than it was in the olden days. Think of all the innovations like new apps and um....
Hey, what about the innovation of 8-speed cassettes? And 9-speed cassettes? 10-speed cassettes? 11-speed? Hold the phone, I think I've got an idea for the next big thing!
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 06:01 PM   #72
alan s 
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
Hey, what about the innovation of 8-speed cassettes? And 9-speed cassettes? 10-speed cassettes? 11-speed? Hold the phone, I think I've got an idea for the next big thing!
I don't know...kind of like being able to turn the volume up to 11...for commuting, I could easily get away with a low, medium and high gear. Currently have 27 gearing options, as long as I don't mind a bit of cross chaining. However, I'm talking about real life-changing innovations, like GoPro cameras, that as I understand, make you virtually invincible.
alan s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 AM.