Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-06, 12:46 PM   #1
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Norman, OK
Bikes:
Posts: 2,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any reason not to spray paint plastic Planet Bike fenders?

I bought some Planet Bike fenders and haven't mounted them yet mainly because I'm thinkin' about customizing them a bit. The only ones that my LBS had were the bright-ass yellow ones and, while they're really not bad at all too look at I figure there's a sea of spray paint colors out there to pick from. Is there a reason in the world not to paint 'em?
ImprezaDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 01:29 PM   #2
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H
 
linux_author's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Penniless Park, Fla.
Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
Posts: 2,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
- yellow is a good color and can help keep you alive...

- perhaps a flourescent pink may be better?

:-)

p.s. and no, you can paint the fenders any color you want... as always, first clean, then test in an inconspicuous place before repainting...
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 01:36 PM   #3
ryanparrish
Life is short Ride hard
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the middle of nowhere
Bikes: not enough
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Follow the above posters rules and try using this in yellow or safety orange

with some of this down the middle
ryanparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 01:40 PM   #4
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard
 
SingingSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They may need priming first...it'll help the paint stay on better and last longer (of course).

Other than that, go for it!
SingingSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 02:03 PM   #5
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Norman, OK
Bikes:
Posts: 2,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking about masking off some sections and at least striping the bright ass yellow some here and there. I saw that Krylon Fusion stuff on their website and I've read a couple of things that indicate that it's as good as advertised.
ImprezaDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 02:43 PM   #6
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Most paint will not stick to plastic, you will be dissapointed later on. Even if it seems like it sticks at first you will be sorry later. The slick surface of the fenders make it even worse. Don't even bother. Even a steel bike with primer and spray paint will scratch too easy uness it's baked on.

You can order black ones without getting out of your chair. Try and return the yellow ones.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 02:56 PM   #7
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You'll lose 2 mph from the extra weight not to mention decrease the distance between the tire and the fender making it even easier to get taken down by a stray stick.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 03:03 PM   #8
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyossarian
You'll lose 2 mph from the extra weight not to mention decrease the distance between the tire and the fender making it even easier to get taken down by a stray stick.


2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 03:39 PM   #9
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Krylon® makes a spray paint for plastic called: Fusion for Plastic®
It comes in a myriad of colors.

--A
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 04:01 PM   #10
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyossarian
You'll lose 2 mph from the extra weight not to mention decrease the distance between the tire and the fender making it even easier to get taken down by a stray stick.
If the paint doesn't dry smooth, the increased drag coefficient could cost even more than just 2mph.

Seriously though, where'd you find yellow PB's? I just got a pair of Freddy HC's yesterday to replace my old minimal coverage Zefals, but they're just plain black. I'd have jumped all over getting a yellow pair!
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 04:06 PM   #11
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
If the paint doesn't dry smooth, the increased drag coefficient could cost even more than just 2mph.

Seriously though, where'd you find yellow PB's? I just got a pair of Freddy HC's yesterday to replace my old minimal coverage Zefals, but they're just plain black. I'd have jumped all over getting a yellow pair!
The colors were shown on the Planet Bike website the last time I was there.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 04:10 PM   #12
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
The colors were shown on the Planet Bike website the last time I was there.
Yeah, I just looked there and those yellow ones are all kinds of cool. Unfortunately, REI only stocks the black ones, but they're $5 cheaper at REI than on the PB website, and I could go there last night and not have to wait for them.

I really shouldn't care... I mean, they're gonna get covered in stickers anyhow.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 04:16 PM   #13
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Yeah, I just looked there and those yellow ones are all kinds of cool. Unfortunately, REI only stocks the black ones, but they're $5 cheaper at REI than on the PB website, and I could go there last night and not have to wait for them.

I really shouldn't care... I mean, they're gonna get covered in stickers anyhow.
Instant gratification !! Been there !
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 04:46 PM   #14
Pompous Ass
Better than you are
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why not use Scotch's colored electrical tape? It comes in a ton of flavors, is non-destructive and most importantly can be removed or changed at any time.

My girlfriend did her entire frame up in this tape and it looks like the finest paint job you've ever seen.
Pompous Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 08:32 PM   #15
ken cummings
Senior Member
 
ken cummings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: northern California
Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
Posts: 5,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author
- yellow is a good color and can help keep you alive...

- perhaps a flourescent pink may be better?

:-)

p.s. and no, you can paint the fenders any color you want... as always, first clean, then test in an inconspicuous place before repainting...
Day Glow pink would be better. Tests have fond that while people can see lime yellow better in controlled tests they React faster to hot pink. Let us not speculate why that is a survival trait.
ken cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 10:14 PM   #16
ryanparrish
Life is short Ride hard
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the middle of nowhere
Bikes: not enough
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken cummings
Day Glow pink would be better. Tests have fond that while people can see lime yellow better in controlled tests they React faster to hot pink. Let us not speculate why that is a survival trait.
s
ryanparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 10:44 PM   #17
M3ta7h3ad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Bikes: Apollo CX10
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
they are flexible, it'll flake off after a bit.
M3ta7h3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 09:01 AM   #18
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm picking up a roll of 1/2" wide yellow reflective tape this weekend, and making designs on my fenders with it. I'll take pictures, of course.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 01:14 PM   #19
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Norman, OK
Bikes:
Posts: 2,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I put them on last night and I think I'll leave 'em dayglo yellow for a while at least. They stand out nicely against the maroon and black frame. And they (sort of) match the yellow pedals.
ImprezaDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 01:15 PM   #20
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprezaDrvr
I put them on last night and I think I'll leave 'em dayglo yellow for a while at least. They stand out nicely against the maroon and black frame. And they (sort of) match the yellow pedals.
Must see pictures! That sounds awesome lookin'!
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-06, 04:21 PM   #21
StokerPoker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Livonia, MI
Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sand them first to rough them up and then use flexible automotive bumper primer. costs like 5 bucks at an auto parts store or wally world. any new car uses this primer and any decent collision shop does as well. it allows the bumpers to flex some without causing all the paint to come off. it's some good stuff. Thanks for asking about this cause for some reason I didn't think about it when I thought of painting some fro myself. next pair I'm gonna use it.
StokerPoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-06, 08:36 PM   #22
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StokerPoker
Sand them first to rough them up and then use flexible automotive bumper primer. costs like 5 bucks at an auto parts store or wally world. any new car uses this primer and any decent collision shop does as well. it allows the bumpers to flex some without causing all the paint to come off. it's some good stuff. Thanks for asking about this cause for some reason I didn't think about it when I thought of painting some fro myself. next pair I'm gonna use it.
I don't know how flexible that paint is, it may work. I do know that bike fenders can flex a lot more than car bumpers on a day to day basis. Is that paint very flexible?
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-06, 02:13 AM   #23
StokerPoker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Livonia, MI
Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I don't know how flexible that paint is, it may work. I do know that bike fenders can flex a lot more than car bumpers on a day to day basis. Is that paint very flexible?
You are right that fenders may flex more and more often, but I've pushed 3 cars with my Mazda Protege and that flexed the bumper quite a bit each time. I've got a couple scuffs on my bumper that was replaced 367 days ago, but no chips and no flaking paint. I would definately say it would be better to use it than not to.
StokerPoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-06, 07:10 AM   #24
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StokerPoker
You are right that fenders may flex more and more often, but I've pushed 3 cars with my Mazda Protege and that flexed the bumper quite a bit each time. I've got a couple scuffs on my bumper that was replaced 367 days ago, but no chips and no flaking paint. I would definately say it would be better to use it than not to.
I agree, if one is going to try any paint that would be the best thing to try. It's a good idea.

I have two cars that have had plastic panels bent quite a bit with no paint problems from flexing.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 AM.