This bicycle came to me a month ago after having spent several years outdoors, ignored and neglected. It's previous owner had purchased a new bike and left this one to die out behind the shed. When my Raleigh died, my co-worker gave me this for free.
While searching for information to date and value the machine I came across bikeforums.net. After some time I found a helpful forum member (T-Mar) who helped me determine the age and model - 1980/1981 low-end RM-40, made in Canada by the Japanese company, Sekine.
It's been a slow-going project to fix this bicycle up. I generally only get into disassembly and fixing on the weekends since I ride it during the week. Some of the close-ups, particularly the bottom bracket and the cassette are quite telling as to the condition of this bike when I got it. Actually, it looked much worse. In the full-on shot you can see the rusty scrapes down the sides of the front fork as well.I was going to try to restore it, but given that it was cheap when it came out and that I need a commuter ride, I've changed plans. I'll find another bike to do a restore job on.
The bike is made out of steel. All original parts with the exception of the calipers and the stem are steel.
I've changed the rusted steel handlebars with cleaned aluminum ones from my old bike. The rack is mounted onto strips of inner-tube rubber with 3/8" pipe clamps below to keep the rack from pushing down into the rear calipers should it rattle loose. It was rattling a lot and coming off every morning so I added those as well as lock-washers to the rig. Next week I'll also replace the bolts it uses with slightly longer ones with locking nuts.
The rear light/flasher is quite bright but inexpensive. It came with a seat-post clamp but I knew that would be blocked by whatever is on the rack so I bolted it to an 'L' bracket and attached it to the reflector mount at the rear of the rack. It quick releases off and has a belt-clip.
The fenders are Planet Bike "Freddy Fenders" and fit the 27" x 1 1/4 wheels just fine.
Tires are cheap Kenda's and the inner tubes are Raleigh and/or CCM.
Below the bag, Velcro-attached to the left side of the rack is an old Air Force pump, and bungied in front of the bag is a roll-up toolkit that contains several flat bike-wrenches, a retractabit screwdriver, two metal tire levers and a spare inner-tube. Sometimes it has a small bottle of Phil Woods oil, in case something starts sounding/feeling/being under-lubed. You can just see it in the top right on the rack mount photo. It's not pressing on the brake cable - it's just the angle.
The head-light is a cheap 5-LED Raleigh light. I'm still debating whether to build a halogen system, build an LED system, or just buy a few more of these lights and stick them in a group.
Grips are crappy foam, to be replaced with handle-bar tape after I've gotten other work done on it. The brakes are Exage Motion's that I swiped off a smaller racing bike someone was throwing away. The kickstand and bottle cage are from junk bikes as well.
I recently replaced all the cables - you can see the dark brown rusty shifter cable in the shot of the bottom bracket which was taken before I changed them. They where actually fraying in places!
There's a Filzer DB4L computer and a simple bell on the bars as well.
I hope to update this thread as I fix it up more and create some custom commuter gear - I've got some ideas for a laptop carrier and some grocery carrying add-ons that I'll be able to put on when needed and take off for daily usage.
-- First few weeks --
-- Taken this morning, setup for commuting --
-- Front and rear gearing is quite rusty --
-- Getting the rack to stay and to mount the blinky required some creativity --