Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-07, 07:55 AM   #1
Zero_Enigma
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Zero_Enigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North of the 49th Parallel (GPS grid soon)
Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Toronto: 3 day bike show (Mar 2,3,4/2007)

Toronto bike show by CNE.

Take subway to Bathurst station then get the 511 Street car that takes you right to the front door of the event.

http://www.telsec.net/bicycleshow/ht...pringshow.html

$13/day x 1 adult
$23/2days x 1 adult

Family rates on the site.

Dates and Times

Friday, March 2, 2007 Noon - 9 pm
Saturday, March 3, 2007 10 am - 7pm
Sunday, March 4, 2007 10 am - 6pm



http://www.telsec.net/bicycleshow/html_pages/map.html

Directions to the place.

MEC http://www.mec.ca closes at 18:00 ET on Sat. so after you've seen enough of the show then take a walk over to MEC a few blocks from the CNE. Also check out Taylors Outdoor Gear along the way. There enterance looks a bit blended into the wall the first time I saw them. They have some damn good packs. Most Deuter sizes are there. MEC only has 2 Detuer pack sizes.

Also a long standing watering hole called The Wheaf Sheaf is at Front & Bathurst if I remember right. They're so well known ask any local and they'll point you there. It's only about 2 blocks from the show.

Obviously it's a bit late to work out any meet and greets but perhaps next time. I sure hope Dinotte showed up cause I have to see that stuff in person.

Ryan Leech will be there! Sweet!!! Just found out about the guy off the web while looking for bike videos and this guys has some nice moves. http://youtube.com/watch?v=1F7z4HxpWfA One of the videos I really like with Ryan in it.

Zero_Enigma
Zero_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 07:56 AM   #2
Zero_Enigma
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Zero_Enigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North of the 49th Parallel (GPS grid soon)
Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brownie points for whoever can find out what song is being played in the background.


Zero_Enigma
Zero_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 09:24 AM   #3
rajman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Miyata 600, Marin Larkspur, Marin Muirwoods, GT tequesta, Fuji Ace
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma
Toronto bike show by CNE.

Take subway to Bathurst station then get the 511 Street car that takes you right to the front door of the event.

<edit>

Also a long standing watering hole called The Wheaf Sheaf is at Front & Bathurst if I remember right. They're so well known ask any local and they'll point you there. It's only about 2 blocks from the show.


Zero_Enigma
Why not ride to the show? I guess that storm gave you quite a dump

The wheat sheaf is indeed an excellent pub, but it is located at King and Bathurst.

I'm in Calgary this weekend - I was in T.O. last weekend, so I missed the show . I've been to it before - great deals and great eye candy.
rajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 08:57 PM   #4
Zero_Enigma
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Zero_Enigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North of the 49th Parallel (GPS grid soon)
Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just got back from the show. This show had about 85% more space then the fall show. Day and night in space. However 60% of the faces I have seen before from the fall show are dealers while 40% dealers and events I have not seen. I got there late so I missed out on Ryan but I got a poster at his booth. Next time. I ended up getting a vest for $10 CDN ($11.40 w/tax 14%) which had reflective piping all over but no triple back pocket but it did have a large back pocket with some fuzzy fleece like feel. This vest is a little thicker then the thin ones by a little bit. The black ones I wanted were either S, XL, or XXL

BTW the ATM's there yank you $2.00/transaction. It does not make sense to get less then $40 if you needed it at the ATM.

They had the Cateye Tripleshot/Double Pro in stock. I checked it out and it's BRIGHT!! It passed my squeeze test and the CSR there told me the rep. from Cateye smashed it on the table to make a point on how durable it is. I like. Problem is the Tripleshot is ~$790 CDN and I think the Doubleshot is $550 CDN.

I compared the Doubleshot to the Maglite offical 3W retrofit and the brightness looks the same at about 1 meter and a half when I looked into the hot spot head on. Now when I did the 1ft away hand check the Doubleshot was brighter then the 3W Maglite and the AL-X 1W.

Tires are $16.80/ea at one store but the multi-low rolling resistance I wanted was only on the 700 size. 99% of everyone I spoke with did not know of Dinotte or Cygolite or TurboCat. Hell even the guys that were hosting some 24-hr race didn't know of Dinotte calling anything LED when mentioned even when the 400lm Dinotte was mentioned. Diffinately somehow I did not feel welcomed when I was talking about high power LED's to these people. They think HID is the best and HID does not fail while in this forum I've heard lots of stories of HID's failures when bumped on the ground of bulb die out from too much on/off cycles. Heck some place that claimed to be some hardcore MTB racing group (D-hill) and other stuff did not even know WTFF a HID was. I had to explain it to them and they thought I was whack when I compared a car headlight at point blank.

Now that I've both spring and fall shows I think I'll only go to the fall show only for $5 bucks and buy a tire or some tubes and such as this show didn't have what I wanted. I wanted spacebars, HID's, lots of power lights (the Cateye display by some shop in Quebec) was layed out nice to have people check and see the lights. That lady was very friendly and accomedating. I got to see the LD1000 in the flesh. That light is HUGE!!! Not what you expect in the photos online. I was thinking a little smaller then what I saw online. Someone needs to invite Rob to the show. Zzzz arching hard. 48 hour bigms


Zero_Nigms
Zero_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 10:51 PM   #5
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was at the show today. The True North customs were nice, but I didn't see too many bargains.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 11:41 PM   #6
ghettocruiser
Former Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: dropmachine.com
Bikes:
Posts: 4,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyossarian
I was at the show today. The True North customs were nice, but I didn't see too many bargains.
Hugh's bikes rock.

And the DeVinci booth was pretty neat.

Not much else to see, IMO
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 12:16 PM   #7
rajman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Miyata 600, Marin Larkspur, Marin Muirwoods, GT tequesta, Fuji Ace
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guess I didn't miss too much - I'll check out the fall show (maybe they'll have Nokians for cheap). Did anyone end up at the wheat sheaf??
rajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 04:37 PM   #8
Zero_Enigma
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Zero_Enigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North of the 49th Parallel (GPS grid soon)
Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma
Just got back from the show. This show had about 85% more space then the fall show. Day and night in space. However 60% of the faces I have seen before from the fall show are dealers while 40% dealers and events I have not seen. I got there late so I missed out on Ryan but I got a poster at his booth. Next time. I ended up getting a vest for $10 CDN ($11.40 w/tax 14%) which had reflective piping all over but no triple back pocket but it did have a large back pocket with some fuzzy fleece like feel. This vest is a little thicker then the thin ones by a little bit. The black ones I wanted were either S, XL, or XXL

BTW the ATM's there yank you $2.00/transaction. It does not make sense to get less then $40 if you needed it at the ATM.

They had the Cateye Tripleshot/Double Pro in stock. I checked it out and it's BRIGHT!! It passed my squeeze test and the CSR there told me the rep. from Cateye smashed it on the table to make a point on how durable it is. I like. Problem is the Tripleshot is ~$790 CDN and I think the Doubleshot is $550 CDN.

I compared the Doubleshot to the Maglite offical 3W retrofit and the brightness looks the same at about 1 meter and a half when I looked into the hot spot head on. Now when I did the 1ft away hand check the Doubleshot was brighter then the 3W Maglite and the AL-X 1W.

Tires are $16.80/ea at one store but the multi-low rolling resistance I wanted was only on the 700 size. 99% of everyone I spoke with did not know of Dinotte or Cygolite or TurboCat. Hell even the guys that were hosting some 24-hr race didn't know of Dinotte calling anything LED when mentioned even when the 400lm Dinotte was mentioned. Diffinately somehow I did not feel welcomed when I was talking about high power LED's to these people. They think HID is the best and HID does not fail while in this forum I've heard lots of stories of HID's failures when bumped on the ground of bulb die out from too much on/off cycles. Heck some place that claimed to be some hardcore MTB racing group (D-hill) and other stuff did not even know WTFF a HID was. I had to explain it to them and they thought I was whack when I compared a car headlight at point blank.

Now that I've both spring and fall shows I think I'll only go to the fall show only for $5 bucks and buy a tire or some tubes and such as this show didn't have what I wanted. I wanted spacebars, HID's, lots of power lights (the Cateye display by some shop in Quebec) was layed out nice to have people check and see the lights. That lady was very friendly and accomedating. I got to see the LD1000 in the flesh. That light is HUGE!!! Not what you expect in the photos online. I was thinking a little smaller then what I saw online. Someone needs to invite Rob to the show. Zzzz arching hard. 48 hour bigms


Zero_Nigms
ManI totally passed out while writing the last paragraph. I've not slept for 24hrs before going to the bike show. I ended up going in zombie mode with like 36hrs no sleep. Sorry I didn't take many pics. like I normally do. I did get a dirt bike pic but that's it. Somehow the love in the show didn't quite fit well with me. To me with everyone I spoke with it seems like 3000km for someone that just starting out that went serious (at least to me it's serious from say 100-300km/yr in all my previous riding before) for someone that does not have riding balance issues (read before some people can't ride a bike because they have balance issues) and out of shape (not fat) is nothing to them. It seems like if you're not doing 2000km/month or around 25,000km/yr you're nobody is the feeling I got at most booths I spoke to. More from the 24-hr booths is my feel from said comments. The Rona MS tour was something I've been thinking of for 2 yrs now. First year I did not ride as much as it was after Aug. when I wanted to ride more but being late in the season my time was cut short. Thus why last year 2006 I went serious on the riding and during my riding I did think of the Rona MS tour but when I was at the booth they didn't seem too interested in helping out because of the low milage from my starting out and made it feel like even the bare rookies they have starting in thier starting tours have like 10,000km/yr before starting. *shrugs*

Anyways, enough of that. Lets focus on some of the good stuff I saw. I caught a little bit of the dirt bike race (pic soon) which was cool and I was amazed they dumped that much dirt into the building. I saw the bike ramp free style half pipes and mid sections area which was cool. One of the things that amazed me was the BMX area that I stayed briefly at. These guys were rather fluid on thier balance and tricks on the BMX hanging off the front wheel peg while spinning like a draddle (sp?).

Also if you ride locally you should check out the TTC booth. They got a whole bus in there with the front rack loader for the bikes. The guy there showed me how to operate that front loader. It was cool. Apparently according to the guy in the USA some buses have up to 4 racks up front. Our buses only have 2 racks and only run on a few select test routes currently with plans of expanding by 2009 (I think he said 2009) to most routes. That really got me excited as it would really make a lot of people not commuting by bike to get places more into riding as they can take some of the distance load off on the bus. Especially if you're downtown T.O you know a bike can go pretty much anywhere faster then a car with a huge advantage on parking. No point paying $2.50/ride on the TTC each way down there when you only go 2 blocks each way.


Zero_Enigma

Last edited by Zero_Enigma; 03-04-07 at 05:00 PM.
Zero_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 04:40 PM   #9
Zero_Enigma
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Zero_Enigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North of the 49th Parallel (GPS grid soon)
Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajman
Guess I didn't miss too much - I'll check out the fall show (maybe they'll have Nokians for cheap). Did anyone end up at the wheat sheaf??
No wheat sheaf here. We should have some meetup for the fall show. I'm sure most people will be riding then to that one. I don't recall seeing snow tires at the fall show before or even in the spring show.



Zero_Enigma
Zero_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 07:40 AM   #10
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went on Saturday, it was good I guess. Where are all the recumbents?? I left having spent only $25 on bits and pieces (after spending $23 on admission and parking!!), it looks like most of the big stuff will end up coming from Nashbar again. I don't know if I'll even go to the fall show, unless I can save more than $23+gas...
jeff-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 09:01 AM   #11
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze
 
I_bRAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Corbyville Ontario
Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.
Posts: 3,699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Gas and parking.

Go train stops right outside (not sure if that serves kitchener), and if you're prepared to walk (or cart your bike down and ride from your car) from Dufferin you can park for free on residential streets.
I_bRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 11:28 AM   #12
pinerider
bici accumulatori
 
pinerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ottawa, Maberly, Apsley, Ontario
Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma
The Rona MS tour was something I've been thinking of for 2 yrs now. First year I did not ride as much as it was after Aug. when I wanted to ride more but being late in the season my time was cut short. Thus why last year 2006 I went serious on the riding and during my riding I did think of the Rona MS tour but when I was at the booth they didn't seem too interested in helping out because of the low milage from my starting out and made it feel like even the bare rookies they have starting in thier starting tours have like 10,000km/yr before starting. *shrugs*

Zero_Enigma
Zero, you sure you were at the right booth? Maybe you got the randoneuring booth mixed up with the MS Biketour booth! I've worked the MS Biketour booth the last 3 years, I don't think anybody I've been there with has done 10,000 km in a year! The purpose of the booth is to encourage new riders and remind experienced riders what a great event it is. We have found that a lot of cyclists credit the MS Biketours as their introduction to "serious" cycling, even though the events are always lots of fun.
You don't have to ride a lot to participate and have a great time too. You should get some riding in beforehand to cut down on the aches and pains of distance rides, but you don't have to ride a lot to be comfortable on the tours. Great ride support with checkpoints every 45 minutes or so make it fairly easy to go long distances, even when you're not used to it.

Use your $5 off coupon from the show and register!!

Last edited by pinerider; 03-05-07 at 11:34 AM.
pinerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 10:59 PM   #13
gbcb
J3L 2404
 
gbcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Shanghai
Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma
No wheat sheaf here. We should have some meetup for the fall show. I'm sure most people will be riding then to that one. I don't recall seeing snow tires at the fall show before or even in the spring show.

Zero_Enigma
Careful to not get too excited at the Wheat Sheaf: a bit of singing got my friends and me kicked out a few St. Patrick's Days ago
gbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:40 AM.