Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-07, 03:21 PM   #1
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer
Thread Starter
 
Bklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dog Attacks!

There's a loopy thread in this forum that is devolving into a Monty Pythonesque debate about whether cats are valid head protection, and it reminded me: I was attacked by a dog today! A seeing-eye dog, no less! I had to run an errand to buy something too big to lug home on the bike, so I took the subway (it was also pouring). I was walking in Times Square when I felt . . . well, it felt a little like a somebody rummaging through my boxers with tiny little fists. Which is how it feels when a seeing-eye dog with a muzzle is led right into your thighs and tries to bite you several times! Very alarming. I stood in disbelief, watching as the blind woman progressed up Broadway. You could tell where she was because every 20 feet or so, some poor sucker would leap sideways in alarm.
It's much safer on a bike and in the streets!
Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 03:31 PM   #2
rando
Senior Member
 
rando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's one way to clear the way!


btw, you don't have to wear a cat. it can be any furry mammal, really, but ferrets are kinda bitey.
__________________
"Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world". ~Grant Petersen

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 03:44 PM   #3
nakedsushi
newbie commuter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never heard of this before, but maybe the dogs are trained to clear the way in that manner? Seems like a great way to get tangled into a lawsuit in this sue happy country though.
nakedsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 03:58 PM   #4
illeagle
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like the Spartans were on to something.
illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 04:02 PM   #5
banerjek
Portland Fred
 
banerjek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
Posts: 11,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I don't know how seeing eye dogs are trained, but I think they are trained to guard their owners. I used to sometimes hang out in groups where I would be the only sighted person. I remember walking into this room once to find a yellow lab put very aggressive looking teeth on my crotch accompanied with a lot of racket. He did not attack -- it was just a very impressive warning. When the owner said I was OK, the dog was very friendly to me.
banerjek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 10:22 PM   #6
anastrophe
practically invincible.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Englander
Bikes:
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm surprised to read this...I knew a woman whose dog was being trained as a seeing-eye dog, and they did *crazy* things to that dog. They popped balloons in his face to see if he would attack, they brought him onto a little kid playground to see if he would jump, all sorts of things to make sure he could keep his cool.
anastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 10:53 PM   #7
Horse
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...

Last edited by Horse; 04-18-07 at 10:16 AM.
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 12:34 PM   #8
rando
Senior Member
 
rando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cats live a long time, too. why aren't there any guide cats? and tortoises!
__________________
"Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world". ~Grant Petersen

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 12:49 PM   #9
dalmore
Neat - w/ ice on the side
 
dalmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Big Ring. Little Cog.
Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI
Posts: 1,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
cats live a long time, too. why aren't there any guide cats? and tortoises!
I have a guide cat - she'll guide me to her empty food bowl, or the piece of furniture that is preventing her access to the toy she knocked under it or her favorite water bowl that she would like to have refreshed ...
__________________
Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more. Bark less.

Change you can believe in - Bigfoot Nessie 08
dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 01:05 PM   #10
rykoala
Senior Member
 
rykoala's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
cats live a long time, too. why aren't there any guide cats? and tortoises!
Because you don't own cats; they own YOU.
rykoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 01:21 PM   #11
AndrewP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My elder brother had a seeing-eye dog. I never saw any aggressive behiour. Apart from knowing the way around the locality, it was trained to find a drug store, butcher, baker, or post office by smell in any strange town. It would find the post office from the smell of red tape.
AndrewP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 01:23 PM   #12
Cromulent
I'm fine.
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy
Posts: 2,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
That's one way to clear the way!


btw, you don't have to wear a cat. it can be any furry mammal, really, but ferrets are kinda bitey.
Ferrets do not meet minimum federal safety guidelines and should not be used as protective gear. Sure they're better for ventilation, but you're asking for serious trouble if you're going to ride around with a ferret on your head. Might as well wear a hamster. Gosh!

But it's your head. So do what you want. Just replace the ferret every two years or so.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 02:09 PM   #13
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer
Thread Starter
 
Bklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, here come the self-righteous ferret nannies now!
Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 03:01 PM   #14
Cromulent
I'm fine.
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy
Posts: 2,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Oh, here come the self-righteous ferret nannies now!
Absolutely. They're not safe. And I'm going to keep on you ferret-wearers until the goverment steps in and does something about you. Then you'll see. I have medical studies done by medical people that back me up.

You know what they call ferret-wearers in the ERs that I've been in? No? Well, I don't either. But it can't be good. Get a cat, put it on your head, and be safe. I can't stress this enough.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 03:06 PM   #15
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!
 
chephy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes:
Posts: 4,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anastrophe
I'm surprised to read this...I knew a woman whose dog was being trained as a seeing-eye dog, and they did *crazy* things to that dog. They popped balloons in his face to see if he would attack, they brought him onto a little kid playground to see if he would jump, all sorts of things to make sure he could keep his cool.
Yep, that's what I think. They are trained to remain calm and not get distracted no matter how distracting the environment is. It is possible that they are taught some guarding behaviour too, but I think it would not be exhibited "by default". I think those aggressive dogs you're talking about are seeing eye dogs gone kinda bad... It's true they are selected very carefully and trained extremely well, but their owners are not necessarily canine specialists and it's easy to screw up a dog if you don't know what you're doing... or worse, if you know a little bit and are bent on screwing it up thinking you're actually improving it...
chephy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 03:53 PM   #16
Frankie Fixed
Senior Member
 
Frankie Fixed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope you don't mind this story. There wasn't even a bike involved, but the point is to try and develop a certain attitude for emergency use where aggressive dogs are involved.

This is the annotated version. My two brothers and I were moving into our first apartment. I had my 6 month-old dog chained to a post on the porch. Tom and I had just carried a bookcase into the house and we heard my dog shrieking as she was being attacked by one of those very large male Shepards. We ran to the door and froze. The dog was huge and in fighting mode. He wasn't looking for romance. We were in his territory and he was trying to kill my dog. We looked around for something to hit it with.

Brother Mike never hesitated. He had a soft spot for kids and dogs, especially when they were being attacked by bullies. He jumped out of the truck onto the porch and charged the Shepard. He kicked it halfway across the porch. It got up and came after him with its teeth bared. He met it with a punch to the head that knocked it to the ground. Then he pounced on it, grabbed it by the neck and started pounding its head on the concrete porch floor. After 15-20 seconds of that, he picked it up by the tail and back of the neck, ran it over to the railing and threw it off the porch. I remember it pinwheeling in the air ( in slo-mo in my memory ). It hit the ground face first and took off for home. Its owner met it at the door across the street and we never saw that dog again except at the end of a leash slinking by our house with its tail between its legs.

I don't know if I could do that today, if I were attacked by a dog while riding. I certainly couldn't have then. But I know that the dogs who attack you are usually the bullies and bullies are cowards. If you can at least put on your game face and let them know you're not going to take any ****, they will usually back off and pick on somebody who shows fear.
__________________
Location:Thetford, Vermont
Frankie Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 04:36 PM   #17
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer
Thread Starter
 
Bklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 05:06 PM   #18
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
Posts: 15,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You need this.
slvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 05:30 PM   #19
eshvanu
Bicycle n00B
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: None yet
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always carry a bit of pepper spray for such occasions. Dogs don't like pepper spray, even the mild kind.
eshvanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 06:22 PM   #20
rando
Senior Member
 
rando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Fixed
I hope you don't mind this story. There wasn't even a bike involved, but the point is to try and develop a certain attitude for emergency use where aggressive dogs are involved.

This is the annotated version. My two brothers and I were moving into our first apartment. I had my 6 month-old dog chained to a post on the porch. Tom and I had just carried a bookcase into the house and we heard my dog shrieking as she was being attacked by one of those very large male Shepards. We ran to the door and froze. The dog was huge and in fighting mode. He wasn't looking for romance. We were in his territory and he was trying to kill my dog. We looked around for something to hit it with.

Brother Mike never hesitated. He had a soft spot for kids and dogs, especially when they were being attacked by bullies. He jumped out of the truck onto the porch and charged the Shepard. He kicked it halfway across the porch. It got up and came after him with its teeth bared. He met it with a punch to the head that knocked it to the ground. Then he pounced on it, grabbed it by the neck and started pounding its head on the concrete porch floor. After 15-20 seconds of that, he picked it up by the tail and back of the neck, ran it over to the railing and threw it off the porch. I remember it pinwheeling in the air ( in slo-mo in my memory ). It hit the ground face first and took off for home. Its owner met it at the door across the street and we never saw that dog again except at the end of a leash slinking by our house with its tail between its legs.

I don't know if I could do that today, if I were attacked by a dog while riding. I certainly couldn't have then. But I know that the dogs who attack you are usually the bullies and bullies are cowards. If you can at least put on your game face and let them know you're not going to take any ****, they will usually back off and pick on somebody who shows fear.

Wow. just wow.
__________________
"Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world". ~Grant Petersen

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42 AM.