Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

View Poll Results: Which Schwalbe
Marathon Classic 3 20.00%
Marathon Racer 1 6.67%
Marathon Supreme 4 26.67%
Something else 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-07, 06:18 AM   #1
doraemonkey
Senior Membre
Thread Starter
 
doraemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Rennes, France
Bikes: '87 Cannondale Team Comp, 98 Cannondale F900, 08 Bike Friday Tikit
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tire choices: Which Schwalbe?

I've commuted on my Cannondale F900 for more than two years on the same pair of 26x1.50 Schwalbe Marathons. Never got a flat with them, but they are finally showing age, with the rear tire about worn and showing a few cracks in the rubber. They have never let me down, but they are a bit heavy and perhaps overkill on the protection part.

So there are two new Marathons that could do the trick, the new Marathon Supreme or the Marathon Racer. Both are lighter than the Marathons, that is a good thing, but the Supreme only comes in a 26x2.00 size. So given these stats, which one do you think is best for my commute and eventual long distance summer touring project?

Marathon
Supreme / Racer / Classic
Size 26x2.00 / 26x1.50 / 26x1.50
Weight 595g / 420g / 660g
Speed 6 / 6 / 4
Grip 6 / 4 / 4
Protection 6 / 4 / 5
Durability 4 / 3 / 5

Manufacturer's ratings
doraemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 08:14 AM   #2
CBBaron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland
Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is wrong with a 2" tire?
If it is lighter than your current 1.5" it will probably roll much faster and provide a smoother ride. Schwalbe claims good puncture protection for the tire, so where is the down side?
The Racer looks promising also but I'm concerned the puncture protection is a little too light, at least for my commute.
Craig
CBBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 08:42 AM   #3
becnal
I'm made of earth!
 
becnal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Bikes: Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid, and a Bob Yak trailer. Yak very useful for us car-free types that like to buy lots of beer.
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Something Else. This poll is not very useful if you don't list the Marathon Plus. List the Marathon Plus, and you'll see 90% voting for it. The other 10% will be folks who never had them.
becnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 09:02 AM   #4
doraemonkey
Senior Membre
Thread Starter
 
doraemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Rennes, France
Bikes: '87 Cannondale Team Comp, 98 Cannondale F900, 08 Bike Friday Tikit
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becnal
Something Else. This poll is not very useful if you don't list the Marathon Plus. List the Marathon Plus, and you'll see 90% voting for it. The other 10% will be folks who never had them.
I didn't list the marathon plus because, from my experience, I think that it is overkill in terms of protection. I haven't gotten a flat in more than 2 years with the Marathons and I am looking for more speed and less rolling resistance. I basically want to commute faster, with minimal compromise on the puncture issue.
doraemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 09:43 AM   #5
CBBaron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland
Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doraemonkey
I didn't list the marathon plus because, from my experience, I think that it is overkill in terms of protection. I haven't gotten a flat in more than 2 years with the Marathons and I am looking for more speed and less rolling resistance. I basically want to commute faster, with minimal compromise on the puncture issue.
I understand this sentiment. That is the reason I have not tried the Plus yet. A coworker is on his second set because he loves the no worry tires. I prefer to keep things a little quicker and livelier. However I do NOT like changing flats on my commute. So I no longer attempt to ride a light weight tire. I a big fan of Schwalbe tires but my current Panaracer Tserv has worked well also.
The Marathon Racer may be your best tire, but I'd be concerned it may not be quite enough on the durability and puncture protection level. However my commute is entirely urban with plenty of broken bottles and other debris so better road conditions would not be uncommon.
Craig
CBBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 AM.